Synthetic Reality Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Other Games » Warpath and Rocket Club » Rocket Club Design Notes IV (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Rocket Club Design Notes IV
Gilead
Healthy Member
Member # 4563

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilead   Email Gilead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody should play Rocket Club.

End of story.

Period.

*Walks away with a feeling of eyes on the back of his head.*

Posts: 460 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
saxamophone0
Obsessive Member
Member # 2917

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for saxamophone0   Author's Homepage   Email saxamophone0   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's cause it isnt finished >_<

--------------------
Word is born.

Posts: 8526 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sinister
Veteran Member
Member # 4240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sinister   Email Sinister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*Puts the fire out until the fire is ready to be lit.*

--------------------
Only God can judge me

Posts: 861 | From: California | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
azaman
Obsessive Member
Member # 299

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for azaman   Author's Homepage   Email azaman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dang Rocket Club runs too slow on my computer and I have a top of the line gaming computer. Maybe it's Windows XP PRo that slow it down...

--------------------
Show the world how much you love playing WoS. Get your free email@wosaddict.com

Posts: 6098 | From: Los Angeles, Ca. USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hesacon   Author's Homepage   Email Hesacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You gonna add the new planet they discovered? [Smile]

--------------------
SoV: Exalted Devout Oracle | World Developer | The Black Guard
Outside is just a prank older kids tell younger kids at Internet Camp

Posts: 9479 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fossil
Compulsive Member
Member # 3154

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fossil   Author's Homepage   Email Fossil   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I say you make stuff.

--------------------
Your gifted... or your not.

Posts: 4159 | From: Tucson,AZ | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gobleteer
Member # 3966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gobleteer   Email Gobleteer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of draining elements having a negative effect on the world.

Are NPC wormholes ever closed? Also, please add some directly between stars.

Do the players need certain atmospheres to breath as in Warpath? This could be useful, as it would mean only certain races could deliver things. For instance, humans proably couldn't drain oxygen or get near cyanide, so they could deliver only neutral things, or small amounts of them. no biggie, as you can have muliple characters, as mentioned.(I assume they are on the same star)

Maybe you could "purchase" an NPC star from the Hub for game cash, but if you stopped playing or noone visited it for a long time, it would revert to the initial empty NPC verision.

An amusing idea - could you lump together a whole bunch of elements and make a moon or planet?

Could you put together objects, such as to build a starship? That way bits could be repaired or replaced, new objects wouldn't have to be created so much, and people would would or could not make them could just assemble some for a custom ship instead. That's what I originally thought elements were - more literal building blocks.

My two most important suggestions-

Solo Mode - you could play in a small(1-1000, player choice?) galaxy, and have goals assigned to you. For instance, "build a cannon", "visit Murk", that sort of thing. Sort of like the quests, but compound, harder, and likely a lot less specific - Murk might be a planet instead of a star, so you would have to find it too. The player could start anew after finishing, or take a reward ans keep playing. Of course, you could just ingore the goal and freeplay as usual. Possibly the stars could be old "alien systems" and sent to online after if player abandons them?

Second... a goal! Visit every world. (Stars, planets, or moons; I don't know.) It think it could be done, with enough time and people. A few years. Now, settling them all...

Echo Trace
Member # 5442

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echo Trace   Email Echo Trace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a few (5 infact) questions/points:

1)
quote:
Up to 255 elements are defined (1 to 255), and they are defined by the game itself, not by third-party developers.

The first 128 elements are reserved for 'real world atomic number stuff' like Iron and Copper and Hydrogen.

The next 128 are specialty elements, which in addition to having funny names, are what 'power' aspects of your items.

128 + 128 = 256 not 255 like you stated. Im not trying to nit pick here i just thought it might cause random problems, so it was worth a mention.

2)
2 – Alliance matrix
Issue on who to attack automatically when they enter your system. Have an option of signalling the place your entering, either friendly(then you cant attack) Attack(then.. well obviously attack) No signal = game decides based on what was said eg DefCon status etc.
Obvious overwrite where by if a specified enemy enters and gives a friendly signal get attacked anyway
Further possibilities: Trade signal – access allowed to tradeing centers, but if the traders stray they get attacked.

Just a thought.

3 – disk corruptions
Would you lose your star system and have to start over? Backing up could result in things like people backing up and re-inputting the backup everytime someone attacks them..

4)
quote:
1.) "but I didn't KNOW it was SO IMPORTANT since I hadn't even played the game yet and you made me pick my star system right away and now I want a different one coz this one is ugly!"
maybe if people could change aesthetics but nothing else? Like change the look of planets but not whats on them/how many planets etc.

Can model your own ships, buildings etc why not planets?

and finally:
5)
What if someone is attacking you, you can just close the game and theyre gone.

-------

I think this sounds completely awsome, people are saying "it wont run on my comp" - is there a current release? if so can i have the link please [Razz]

Also can you already model your own ships? Because i made this yesturday:

Click

Dan, are you doing all the default art for the world? because if you would like me to make some ships like that as defaults id be happy to.

--------------------
Natural Synthesis - Mine and Jaycee's new graphics community.

wyrmwood
Compulsive Member
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wyrmwood   Author's Homepage   Email wyrmwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we have alreadu gone through a number of format changes, and you get to pick a new system at each one. I bet that you will have a chance to pick a new one by the time it begins to matter.

As for the 256 elements, if it is 0-255 then there will be 256 elements.

--------------------
SK Fan #1

Posts: 3111 | From: Surrey B.C. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Echo Trace
Member # 5442

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echo Trace   Email Echo Trace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan specifically stated that it was 255 elements, 1-255.

i just thought if thats what he sets and puts in 256 it would cause problems.

wyrmwood
Compulsive Member
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wyrmwood   Author's Homepage   Email wyrmwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt there will be 256 elements anyways [Smile]

--------------------
SK Fan #1

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the number range is 0-255 (256 total), but 0 is used for 'no element specified' condition so there are only 255 actual elements (1-255) and when I say 'the first 128' I actually mean 0-127, which is really only 127 elements.

So I am only willing to entertain 127 'real' elements, while providing for up to 128 'pretend' elements.

And right now I think I only have 20 real elements and 5 fake ones defined... I want to add them as I need them. Basically as new element attributes are discovered which are of use in things you would like to make.

----

As to disk corruption... yes, at a certain level the loss of your disk drive will remove your star from the galaxy and no one will ever visit it again.... (or it will get nuked back to the stone age).

Restoring from backups will be a real potential source of hacking, and I don't have any grand solution for that, other than to make it undesirable.

As far as the meta game goes (My empire is doing better than your empire) I hope the metrics will somehow reflect effort, as opposed to absolute values (such that retoring a previous state would not actually change the numbers)

But I dunno. I suppose it will be used by some to ruin the game in some way for some others [Smile]

----

Changing esthetics. Mindreader! It finally dawned on me where I could easily do that. Not a lot, but let you pick the names of your planets, maybe the texture images seen from orbit... the terrain colorations... the vegetation style... The bumps in the ground probably not. So eventually I am pretty sure I will support that (heh, a GS feature, maybe!)

Of course, imagine all the planets named "bleep" :-)

-----

And yep, I have no way of preventing someone from shutting down their game in mid-battle. Though the people affected could (I mean their games could automatically) report this to the hub.

Come to think of it, the hub already knows it happened, it just doesn't know why. There could be a meta-game penalty for it.

----

That is a FANTASTIC ship and you should be able to drop it in world with the current version (though not actually pilot it around quite yet.. maybe this weekend). You need to convert it to milkshape, and it looks suspiciously smooth (high poly count, or better gaussian shading than RC supports).

And no, I hope to do almost none of the art. I anticipate RC 'shipping' with almost nothing.

With luck, people will leave servers up which can, amongst other things, act as showcases for models and textures. Drop an object somewhere, people encounter it, now they have a copy of the art used to make it. Viral propagation of art :-)

----

And I KNOW I will eventually let people change stars and probably even manage multiple stars (you really only need to be limited to one open wormhole at a time.... but there is no real reason I couldn't let you pick one of N stars to host at any given time. And, as mentioned in the notes, it is not inconceivable to be able to pass a star along to another player.

But that will all come much later.)

NPC stars are actually an example of the above, in the sense that one player hosts the NPC star instead of their normal star.

But even with multiple stars in that context, you still only have one character (per account). And probably can't share your stars between your accounts.

(I mean, somewhere in the process I have to make SOME effort to keep you from creating 50 characters, just to borrow 1 million credits each and then wire those funds to your REAL character. But I'm not worried about that yet, and the right thing to do will be obvious at the appropriate time.) [Smile]

--------------------
He knows when you are sleeping.

Posts: 10561 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
Echo Trace
Member # 5442

Rate Member
Well modelling ships is a hefty task and i doubt many people will want/be able to do it well. Because of this i was thinking i could add a bit to my site which would be a Shipyard or something for RC, whereby people can view the ships that ive made and buy them off me for money in the game [Big Grin]

Although it would be nice if theres a feature in the game which would allow me to directly sell them through the game.

And yes, i modelled it and then smoothened it out, it can be made less smooth but it would be a shame - i would have to bear in mind a lack of smoothness on making new ones.

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's all about the total number of triangles. I am trying to keep my own models under a few hundred (for a fancy thing) or 10 (for a boring thing)

I know eventually we will have performance problems based on geometry... just not sure when it will happen. At some point I will have to bite the 'level of detail' bullet.

The next release should have some bone examples for how to place bones such that your character can sit in the right spot(s)

I think in many cases, we will want the character to actually stick outside of the ship (driving a convertible), though the same metaphor works for a larger ship with a wholly interior ****pit.

I have NOT yet added support for alpha transparency (and I have some reason to believe it would be a mistake to do so, from prior experience at there.com Once you give people alpha, then suddenly it is all they use. Everyone wants translucent floating stuff. And it's super expensive, rendering-wise) So, for now, I will just insist that a window is just a hole in the geometry and the glass is perfectly clear.

--------------------

Echo Trace
Member # 5442

Rate Member
Under a few hundred [Eek!]

Under 10?! [Eek!]

I think i made my point [Razz]

Insidentally im currently using C4D, id have Maya if it wasnt so expensive [Frown] But yea im moving on to character rigging and bone structures, ive done a bone structure for a bird wing, with all its movement done. I hope MilkShape is similar to C4D in terms of this..

Question: How comes games run perfectly smoothly with high detail (and lots of triangles) but RC takes more to run but wont run as high detail?

But yea i agree that Alpha is a bad idea performance wise.

also:
quote:
****pit
lol.

-------

Info on my plane: smoothed 5779 polygons (maybe a tad too big)

Notsmoothed: Just 103. Click - still respectable.

The happiest medium i can have to make it worthe smoothing is 1527 polygons, any lower just looks worse than not smooth, but 1527 does make a substantial good improvement. But yea, if thats too much i will have to live with it [Smile]

[ 07-25-2004, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Echo Trace ]

--------------------

wyrmwood
Compulsive Member
Member # 997

Member Rated:
I like the 103 polygon model better actually. It looks more like something you would see floating aorund in space. The smoothed one looks like a fancy, expensive sports-car type of space ship.

--------------------
SK Fan #1

Echo Trace
Member # 5442

Rate Member
Well, in all fairness the fancy sports car version was basically what i was going for [Razz]

but yea, im still perfectly happy with the 103 model.. hmm thats what i'll call it, the Echo 103 (or E103?). [Big Grin]

[ 07-26-2004, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: Echo Trace ]

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
I think a nice texture adds lots of perceived geometry. You don't generally see the individual triangles (on a good day, I mean). So the gray scale view of a model might look chunky, but a textured version might look smooth.

And I don't have any performance data yet. I am getting about 48 frames per second most of the time right now, but I haven't been dropping a large number of items.

I'm just thinking ahead and know that if we can have simpler models, that still look great, we will be able to have more of them and keep the frame rates up.

Which raises the issues of texture sizes....

--------------------

Echo Trace
Member # 5442

Rate Member
I havent really done alot of textures, i guess thats my next step. So i will also get to understand texture sizes - famous words: How big can they really be? [Wink]

--------------------

..::master of the dark::..
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
i know this would require a lot of power in your cpu, but i would like to see some of the math from your galaxy simulator incorperated into the star systems,
so that if you travel to another solar system, it will be different everytime you visit.
i know it probably wont make any difference, but the small details do count

IP: Logged
Kamikaze Butterfly
Member # 5390

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kamikaze Butterfly   Email Kamikaze Butterfly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I recently found my way to this section of the forum, I read as much as I could find and tried the game itself, I thought that the game so far was great, incredible amounts of potential.
Ditto.

--------------------
Even Though I'm Marked For Death, I'ma spark Till I lose My breath
-Tupac

Posts: 11 | From: Canada, eh | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
WolfBain
Veteran Member
Member # 4516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WolfBain   Email WolfBain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ditto X2

--------------------
I own O.G.!
Long live the Stanley Brothers
O' Come, Angel Band, Comin' Around This land, O' Bear Me Away On Your Snow White Wings, To My Immortal Home

Posts: 841 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Reido of the Iriganshi
Member # 6024

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reido of the Iriganshi   Email Reido of the Iriganshi       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a second, you say that you have played it, basically.
Is a current release out? I downloaded and it says I can't create an account yet.

--------------------
Time waits for no one.
Time stops for me.

If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the **** down.

Posts: 60 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flamelord   Author's Homepage   Email Flamelord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Solo mode has all of the functionality of the rest of it; noone plays online anyway. Just go solo and you should be fine. I've had RC for quite a while now.

http://www.synthetic-reality.com/rocketClub2.htm

--------------------
Constantinople! We shall never forget your zany barge poles!

Posts: 4232 | From: Gresham, OR | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Maghnus
Healthy Member
Member # 6517

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maghnus   Author's Homepage   Email Maghnus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't heard much of Rocekt Club lately. What's the good word, or is there one?

--------------------
Who is Hotaru Tomoe?

Posts: 188 | From: Stratosphere | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Maghnus
Healthy Member
Member # 6517

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maghnus   Author's Homepage   Email Maghnus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, since I have no intention of purchasing Milkshape (breaks Dan's heart, I know), if someone could explain the massive collection of numbers in the models a bit better, I could probably create some sort of viewer. I think it's pretty basic, where it defines verticies, then polygons based on the verticies, and perhaps even colors or at least shading based on angle. This wouldn't be any sort of fancy OpenGL project...

--------------------
Who is Hotaru Tomoe?

Posts: 188 | From: Stratosphere | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
wyrmwood
Compulsive Member
Member # 997

Member Rated:
I think you can get 30 day versions of MS.

--------------------
SK Fan #1

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
well.. you can use Rocket Club as a VIEWER... I think you want to make an EXPORTER so you can use some other 3D tool and still make RC-compatible models.

--------------------

Volte6
Veteran Member
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Volte6   Email Volte6   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like i've been waiting forever... o.O [Frown]
Posts: 948 | From: Woodland Hills, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Deadly Headshot
Compulsive Member
Member # 6098

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deadly Headshot   Author's Homepage   Email Deadly Headshot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't run rocket club [Frown]

--------------------
"Carpé Agnus"
{GS} Pwnz
I like reviving old topics, it makes me feel needed...

{GS} is dead, sorry.

I've finally changed my av!

Posts: 2885 | From: Great Britain | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ramir Klensbane
Healthy Member
Member # 6663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramir Klensbane   Author's Homepage   Email Ramir Klensbane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you need to make your own character for it and stuff like that? If not, don't blame me, I can't be bothered to read the whole topic. [Wink]

--------------------
Earthbound for Virtual Console!

Posts: 234 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Volte6
Veteran Member
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Volte6   Email Volte6   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any day now... I can taste it....
Posts: 948 | From: Woodland Hills, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ramir Klensbane
Healthy Member
Member # 6663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramir Klensbane   Author's Homepage   Email Ramir Klensbane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, I posted here before you? I don't remember that... And yeah, maybe, just maybe, it will be finished soon. Who knows? I bet Dan does!

--------------------
Earthbound for Virtual Console!

Posts: 234 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leniad
Veteran Member
Member # 194

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leniad   Author's Homepage   Email Leniad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Volte6, you know as well as I do that Rocket Club will never be finished [Wink]
Posts: 794 | From: Somewhere in Argentina | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Hi leniad and volte6!

Hey, I *did* add the ability to ride the happy centaur...

--------------------

Oompy
Healthy Member
Member # 6489

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oompy   Email Oompy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I look forward to this game, because you see...
I'm a rocket man. O_O
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w95eCmyLl6U

bandit
Healthy Member
Member # 1097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bandit   Email bandit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Samsyn, Volte, Leniad, whats the haps?
Posts: 359 | From: Midland, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Silent Knight
Compulsive Member
Member # 1594

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silent Knight   Author's Homepage   Email Silent Knight   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Work on it more and maybe people will show back up!
Posts: 3361 | From: Midland, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
wyrmwood
Compulsive Member
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Holy smokes, it's bandit.

--------------------
SK Fan #1

Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beoghztt   Author's Homepage   Email Beoghztt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All legend[ary player]s rejoice! [Eek!]

--------------------
This signature contains a lot of foul languages.
                                                                                   Also racism.

Posts: 2227 | From: Yokohama, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.