Synthetic Reality Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Other Games » Warpath and Rocket Club » Rocket Club Design Notes IV (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Rocket Club Design Notes IV
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo, Rocket Club the Game now connects to Rocket Club, the Hub!

Although the phrase "just barely" comes to mind.

Posts: 10561 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
Merlin
Compulsive Member
Member # 181

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Merlin   Author's Homepage   Email Merlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May my reign of terror begin!
Posts: 2797 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hub SnapShot

It occurs to me that probably no one but me will ever actually see the hub. It's the boring gray dialog in the upper left.

Note that you can just make out 3 lines of text. Those are the three copies of rocket club connected to it.

Note that each copy of RC has 3 lines of white text on top with the same info in it.

Woo hoo! Each copy of RC is aware of the other copies, plus each copy has has a secure 'logon' with the hub (one which supports varying forms of banishment, hint hint). All nicely encrypted and message-digested. No more ascii packets.

[note: the proceeding was in NO WAY meant to imply RC is un-hackable. You *know* it's gonna be hacked. That's the nature of life.]

I do believe this is the very first time I have allowed a 'central server' to play such a signature role. I was able to do this because I do not have to support modem play, etc. RC is solo or Internet, and nothing in between.

Though who knows. In theory one could run their own hub on the company LAN, but we'll worry about that when the time comes.

Anyway, having a central server to do name resolution is really cool. Life is incredibly much easier this way. Of course, it's also pretty much a single point of failure and bottleneck. But, in theory, the bandwidth is low since you pretty much only send data when you first start the game. (not completely true, but let's pretend it is all the same).

---

Next weekend I will flesh out the menu tree, so you can flip back and forth between menus which largely do nothing but test the ability to connect/disconnect in semi-random order.

Then I will probably push a version which you can help test with. It still won't have multiplayer game elements, unless I cram in a first cut at chat.

I still need to come up with a preferred UI for the 'catalog' sorts of interfaces (long lists of players and stars) which is easy to implement, and not too ugly to look at.

Not to mention the chat interface. I still think... well, that's life.

Anyway, the Hub is real. The galaxy has a center. (and the icon is pretty cool, too!)

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
ALLIANCE MATRIX
---------------

Like any RTS, you will depend on automated defense systems to protect your stuff. But how will your defense systems know whom to protect against?

Without getting overly complicated (just getting KIND of complicated, since this could be a key meta-game concept), I want to over time develop an affinity matrix that measures how much each faction likes each other faction.

At the end of the day, this determines whether or not a defensive unit fires first when someone approaches it (or waits for them to fire first).

In most RTSes this is a pretty straight forward issue: shoot at anything which is not me. With the secondary tier of "but not if I have allied with them"

In Rocket Club, we have loads of possible factors to use to make this all complicated:

* the club
* the star system
* the species
* the individual
* the 'character class'
* Some meta faction (good versus evil)
* Political alliances (federation vs klingon empire)

So, let's run some scenarios:

You chose a star system in the constellation Promulax.

You picked species Klepton for your character.

----
Ah, here we go: DefCon status for your star system (something you can change in real time.)

* peaceful (green)
* nervous (yellow)
* enraged (red)

while in green, your defenses only shoot first at known enemies. In red, they shoot at any non-ally.

----
So that brings us to known allies and enemies.

Clearly you will need the ability to peg individual other players (based on soul ID) as being friends or enemies (think buddy hats). That will override anything else.

After that, I think you will be able to peg individual clubs in the same way... this sort of forces me to be more descriptive about what a club really is.... perhaps a club won't be quite as automatic as I originally planned...

I should probably do something like this:

1.) Have the game start with N base clubs (think: Federation, Klingon, Romulan, etc.) and let you pick one of those to start out as a member of.

2.) Belong to exactly one club at a time. (per character).

3.) Have bank/store privileges associated with that club.

Of course, 'club' should really be 'empire' in this context, but dangit, the game is called Rocket CLUB.

Anyway, then as your character grows, you have the opportunity of starting your own club. (but you can't do that right away). You can always quit the club you are in (how the other members feel about that is up to them...) and the base clubs (the ones that came with the game) will always take you back. (need some limitation to prevent excessive club-hopping probably - might be weird to let you flip between federation and klingon repeatedly)

Your club is also allied with N other clubs. First off, it probably allies with one of the base clubs, to set its overall political sentiment. From that it inherits the global affinities (if your club allies with the Federation, then people who hate the feds, also hate your club)

Your club is something of a business... taking a profit from its store(s), and making interest income on loans it issues. This is where it gets the money to loan to its members. Members also pay some sort of dues/tithe/tax to their club on their own transactions.

And you KNOW I will want to have a stock market that the club can invest in....

For leadership, we'll need a club voting mechanism (with some sort of seniority system giving unequal votes, of course!)

Coming back to reality for a moment, we know we need:

1.) you must be able to join *a* club immediately, to borrow money to buy your first ship.

2.) you might not be able to start a *new* club until later. (a la WoS)

3.) The Galaxy comes with some built-in clubs which establish the basic political affinities

4.) A player-created club should be able to have almost the same weight on the political landscape, eventually, but not trivially.

5.) Your home star system (and all defensive units belonging to it) uses the political system to decide whom to protect.

6.) You can change the defcon status in your home star system.... and maybe... club leadership can do the same for the club?

[ 07-05-2003, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Merlin
Compulsive Member
Member # 181

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Merlin   Author's Homepage   Email Merlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If possible, why not make the chat menu translucent? Or even let the user decide how "transparent" the chat can be?

-Merlin

bandit
Healthy Member
Member # 1097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bandit   Email bandit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, I am sooo excited about this, I am so glad you are working on it. Good Luck.

btw I very much like Merlin's idea.

Posts: 359 | From: Midland, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chron
Healthy Member
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does this mean that Dan works on Rocket Club rather than Well of Souls? Well, it's about time.

Regardless, I hope this game doesn't let people be ub3r, and includes the /ignore and chat filters of WoS.

I like WoS, I stopped liking the community the second the word 'snert' became vernaclar. So, I stopped playing WoS, the good Lord only knows that I hope the same doesn't happen here.

That and Guppyman told me he'd kill my dog.

Posts: 432 | From: CA, Sacramento, USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged
GuppyMan
Compulsive Member
Member # 44

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GuppyMan   Email GuppyMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. No, I said that I'd kill your frog. Get it right, man!
Posts: 2675 | From: Washington | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
Lynx2
Member # 532

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Lynx2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW...it's so amazing to see RC actually sort of in action...keep it up, Dan.
Mosquito
Verbose Member
Member # 814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosquito   Author's Homepage   Email Mosquito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, will RC need a map editor...?

j/k :-)

Posts: 1443 | From: Penn State | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
wyrmwood
Compulsive Member
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wyrmwood   Author's Homepage   Email wyrmwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe my computer isn't good enogh to run this...

I'm gunna feel like a kid who broke his leg on the first day of summer and get the cast removed on the last day.

Posts: 3111 | From: Surrey B.C. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
THE METAGAME
------------

Might as well get this started right away. This ties in with the worries that your home star system is 'too safe' to make gameplay fun.

I proprose that there are 2 billion stars total. One billion of them are reserved for "home stars" as described before.

The other billion are the 'skirmish' stars, owned by NPCs (or no one at all).

And it is the domination of the skirmish star systems which are the measure of your club's standing in the meta game.

So Club X has dominated N1 starts, while club Y has only dominated N2 stars.

Club Y can either dominate a new skirmish star, or attack one of the ones dominated by club X.

There's a little hand-waving there, since I want to encourage fighting over existing stars, over dominating new ones... but since I'm not sure yet what 'domination' really means in this context...

Anyway. One billion prizes to fight over.

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
MONSTER, PIRATES, and NPCs
--------------------------

No matter where you are (except maybe while in a wormhole), you have some chance of being beset upon by adversarial NPCs (Non-Player-Characters)

For example, while on foot, this would be "monster spiders"

While in interplanetary space, it would be "pirate ships"

etc.

Now, aside from giving you something to do, what is the point of these NPCs? I am already leaning AGAINST you earning any sort of 'level' from your NPC killing.

(well, let me say any sort of level which increases, say, your attack power.. I don't mind you simply having a 'good NPC eradication score' which doesn't make you particularly invincible against other players.)

---

So, ridding the system of NPCs might be:

* a source of revenue
* a source of rare elements
* a way to create/broaden 'safe' areas
* a way to develop new technology

Again, fairly vague notions there.

aiabgold
Member # 726

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for aiabgold   Email aiabgold   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hola

I like the way RC is turning out. I'm glad I started reading these design notes today. This definatly sounds like a winning game, Dan.

Someone commented on how the buildings you put on a foriegn planet could be destroyed easily when you logged off. I'm guessing any buisness we put on a foriegn planet is a fairly big risk right? So we just try our best and put a ton of defenses around it...

How will any wars that clubs have work? Would getting bot armies be a possability (besdides defensive turrets and such)?

And about the 1000 people playing RC: It's anyone's guess about how many people will play RC, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were a lot more than a 1000. If the players contact the right people and get the word around...well lets leave it at that.

Keep up the good ol' work.

Posts: 29 | From: Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
I had some distracting thoughts today on the subjects of:

* each player owns ONE star system
* that star system is available ONLY when that player is online

I mean, both are fundamental points, right? There is no room for waffling on such a key issue, right?

And yet... and yet... technologically, anyone who had ever visited your star system could, in a pinch, host it in your absence. It's just that anything built or destroyed while they were hosting would not be 'binding'

I mean, when the real owner of the star system returned, it would be THEIR copy of the system which would be the official one.

I think this might be super cool, but I am positive it would be super confusing...

Still, such a 'distributed database' could have secondary implications... the ability to recover your star system in the case of a disk crash, for example.

But it also raises hoary issues like:

* I don't feel it is MINE if just anyone can host it.

* What if I come online only to find someone else is already hosting my star system. Can I force them to shut down and have everyone break their connections and have to reconnect to me?

* could I maybe SELL my star system to someone else? Is all we're talking about here a lease of some sort, that the hub could keep track of? Might I lease several systems at once? Might I hand my lease to someone else if they want, for example, to be the grandpoobah of my star's Club? (the club belongs to the star, after all). Need I worry about someone hijacking my lease?

Anyway, I feel myself waffling... At this point I am sticking with the gameplan. One star per player. Only hosted by that player.

But I am trying to leave the other doors all open, technologically. I imagine this is one of those issues which won't seem like such a big deal once I get a few more ducks in a row.

Merlin
Compulsive Member
Member # 181

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Merlin   Author's Homepage   Email Merlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about making ranks, and each rank can do something new?

LIke rank 1 can fly around, shoot stuff.
Rank 2 can build homes on there planet
rank 3 can build factories/a commodity exchange

etc.

-Merlin

Lynx2
Member # 532

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Lynx2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No...no, Merlin...after reading the article on the metagame, it definitely looks to me like your star system should only be on when you are. Having different versions of your star system floating around in people's programs just brings up too many problems. Besides, if your stronger teammates can just improve your system for you, then the weaker players just become way too much better for simply being in that team. Or is that a good thing?
Merlin
Compulsive Member
Member # 181

Member Rated:
I was talking about on your own personal planet.

-Merlin

aiabgold
Member # 726

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for aiabgold   Email aiabgold   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About the whole ranking and GS stuff...I think theres no need for ranks. You'll be making your own rank by your reputation...maybe your a monstrous killer or something. Scores would be cool so you can see whos the richest and so on.

GS sounds like a cool little thing, but not as a continuous one. 25 bucks is easy to pay once but not again and again even at lower prices. RC will definatly not be a stupid game but many people are just not willing to pay for a game that has what they consider bad graphics.

Since I put gameplay over graphics, I don't mind forking over 25 bucks. But for other's who can't pay or just don't think its worth it, they still get most of the features and everyone is pretty much happy.

Posts: 29 | From: Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
bandit
Healthy Member
Member # 1097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bandit   Email bandit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can see where multiple star systems would get very confusing. Whats the point anyway, if anything that happens to it, didnt really happen, when you get back online? I guess it would be fun to buldoze cities and all......something to think about.

The problem as everyone knows with ranks is everyone will be tempted to hack, but why should we let a few jackasses who are hacking ruin our fun? I guess you do need some sort of measure of someone, for admittance to guilds and such. course it could be more like arcadia, if I see lenny or anybody in there all the time, chat with 'em or whatever, then I could make a decision. But then again, everyone wants soem sort of measurement to show off....hell i dunno, i guess this one of those "executive decisions", Dan

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Yeah, on the one hand I hope that all star systems will start off with the same basic abilities (total surface area and elements) but distributed differently. So that it's just an esthetic choice initially if you prefer 10 planets or one big one.

But I just *know* the following issues will come up:

1.) "but I didn't KNOW it was SO IMPORTANT since I hadn't even played the game yet and you made me pick my star system right away and now I want a different one coz this one is ugly!"

2.) Man, I am leaving the state and my build co-captain would really like to take this star system over for me.

----

So, I want to be able to handle both cases technically, even if officially I don't allow either.

And I *think* that is as simple as the hub maintaining your 'registered claim' (which in a pinch could then be transferred) and some rule about when you can totally delete a star system (given that although it belonged to you, other people might have invested heavily in it... and it might be hard to simply move their investment to the new system). I'm less concerned about that case really.

Nebu Cad Nezzar
Verbose Member
Member # 742

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nebu Cad Nezzar   Email Nebu Cad Nezzar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About the "Everyone can wipe out my stuff while I'm gone" thing, how about this:

While the owner of the system is offline anything that's built cannot be destroyed, only damaged to the point that it cannot function any longer.

All factories damaged to this point will begin auto-repairing themselves after 12 hours of being non-functional, during this they are invincible and useless until they reach full health.

To speed this up the owner can either:

#1: Self-destruct the factory and build a new one.

#2: Pay resources to speed up the repair once it has begun.

--------------------------

To prevent fleets from hanging around weaker systems and just wrecking everything they come across, then stay there until it "regenerates" or is rebuilt and just wreck it again, I would recommend that noone can stay in a system for more than 6 hours in a row unless the owner gives them permission. If they do, "Security Forces" are spawned and try to destroy them or force them to retreat.

Either that or they'll just be auto-warped back to their home.

If they stay anywhere for more than 3 hours and then leave, either because of auto-warping, retreating or just normal leaving, they can't return unless they're given permission by the owner of the system.

This is to prevent people from just getting as close to the 6-hour limit as possible, leave for a few seconds, and then return.

Anyway, this sounds like a good idea to me, what do the rest of you think?

Posts: 1340 | From: Hilleroed, Denmark | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
aiabgold
Member # 726

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for aiabgold   Email aiabgold   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds ok but I think there won't be a need for secuirity forces. Basically, you are the security in your system. If your too weak to fight back that would be your fault...maybe there could be a newbie time period where you get to build and all without fear of attack. You also have your safe zones, so you never will be completely wiped from the game.

Also, unless I missed something, once the owner of a system leaves, that system closes to everyone else. Thus nothing will happen to your star system while your offline partying. Foreign factories in other star systems is a different story.

-----------

About the many star systems:

2 billion is certainly alot. Hopefully we'll be able to travel to unoccupied ones and colonize them. Perhaps as soon as we build a certain building (HQ, colonizer etc) that star system would become ours. It would make everything a mad scramble but perhaps that is where the fun lies. Destroy the colonizer and that star system has no owner unless there are other buildings built by that guy.

----------

Safe zones:

This sounds like something out of EQ or whatever but I guess it means everyone has a certain degree of invincability. If your able to eventually colonize other planets, only allow a safe zone on your very first home world that you started the game with. And don't allow the building of turrets, walls etc within a safe zone...

Just some ideas.

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Yes, achieving some level of construction sounds like the right way to 'claim' one of these NPC stars (and advance your clubs standings in the meta-game) With a billion to choose from, there should be enough to go around, and whether you get your kicks from building new ones, or destroying competing ones...

It just needs to be as hard (or harder) to destroy and it is to create.

I do NOT want to facilitate marauding gangs who ruin the fun for other players so that they give up on building stuff. SOME of your stuff has to be safe.

But the rest of it should be up for grabs to the marauders (who themselves should be at risk of losing something -- their space ships probably).

Hal
Veteran Member
Member # 1426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hal   Author's Homepage   Email Hal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*cough*It'sbeenawhile*uncough* No pressure or anything.
Posts: 711 | From: Chanhassen, Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hal
Veteran Member
Member # 1426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hal   Author's Homepage   Email Hal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have a cold. *cough**sneeze**Ahem*
Posts: 711 | From: Chanhassen, Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
aiabgold
Member # 726

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for aiabgold   Email aiabgold   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...dude. I can't wait for the game to reach a beta.
Lynx2
Member # 532

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Lynx2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some ideas, about the elements.

Using elements to customize weapons will make this game very worthwhile. After all, it'll bring in:
*The "career" of weapons researcher. Try to figure out new weapons and such.
*More strategy. (Hmmm......we need to attack the main planet. Would it be better to use nukes and blow everything up, use poison gas and hope they don't have masks, or start with some drones to establish air superiority, then use homing missles on the command structures?) Infinite (Practically weapons = more options.
*Creativity. For instance, you could take some SpreadShotium, some Fragmentium, and some Poisonium, put the resulting weapon in a small ship, and you have a pest duster. Replace the Poisonium with some Explodium and you have a carpet bomb.
*Really cool economics. "Buy Nerd Zone brand anti-personnel mines! Now with better range and more Armorium to keep your enemies from blowing them up!" If we have brands, maybe we could have advertising? And weapons superstores? And corporate price wars? Yes!

[Oh yeah...actual ideas. Will you be able to add infinite elements to something, thus further increasing the advantages of the players who have been on for a while? Or will you only be able to add a set amount, say, 10 kilos or so?
In any case, keep the element idea!]

[This message has been edited by Lynx2 (edited 04-14-2002).]

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
UI Update
---------

I think I have decided on what might be a short term technique to get past a certain mental block.

And, of course, short term means "forever" probably

Here's the problem. The 3D window is optimized for drawing 3D stuff. And yet we need a ton of 2D stuff on top of it. Some of that is inevitable and enjoyable.

But a lot of it would be unpleasant, in that I would need to reinvent a ton of wheels (i.e making my own scrolling list box with sortable column headers) which probably would end up looking crappy anyway.

As opposed to just using the controls which God.. I mean Microsoft.. gave us, which is easy to do, and I already know exactly how crappy they look.

Hence, I think the decision is made to go ahead and use regular MS controls wherever I can get away with it.

So, for example, the Star Browser screen would consist of the 3D window showing a 3D view of the star system in question, with perhaps some static text overlay here and there, but the actual CONTROLS (step to next star, list of planets around current star, etc) would be a regular windows dialog. Either floating, or embedded in the screen somewhere. Hopefully not too esthetically unpleasing.

Aside from esthetic issues, this means the program would always be run in 'windowed' mode (not the alt-enter mode, I mean). Which means if you went full screen, you would still have the menu and title bars (A good thing, in my mind) and the screen resolution of your desktop would control the resolution of the game (unlike alt-ENTER which lets you go full screen in, say, 800x600, even if your desktop is 1280x1024)

This also allows me to use my favorite embedded browser trick, which is not available in alt-enter mode.

And modern 3D cards handle windowed mode super efficiently, so it shouldn't be a frame rate problem for the computer which is destined to run RC. (Remember, RC will have heavy CPU requirements, as promised).

BUt, of course, I feel a little bad about this decision, since the menus in EMPEROR: Battle for Dune are so cool, and I wanted something like that.

I'll try to maintain code-flexibility, but I need as few roadblocks as possible at this point.

Chron
Healthy Member
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^^ Dan, while I'm sad that there's not going to be a true full screen mode, I do understand there's architectual problems with you doing that.

It seems you're working on the UI aspect of the game right now, perhaps you'd give us some screenshots and we could give you some input to what we feel is important in a game like this. Is it going to be a twitch game where we need full control of our avatars? If so, then we need keyboard bindings. If it's going to be more true to warpath, then our input would be helpful. There's some wasted space is warpath/warpath 2k, and I'd love to help in the more "mundane" aspects of the game.

Posts: 432 | From: CA, Sacramento, USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged
aiabgold
Member # 726

Rate Member
No fullscreen is fine with me. We still need access to the menus for more advanced stuff. Or to learn the hotkeys for them. Fullscreen is nice but hey, windowed is fine too.
Sir RPG
Member # 399

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir RPG   Email Sir RPG   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really like the idea of naming stars or planets... they should keep their default names, even for a GS. I don't really want my Encyclopedia Galactica filled with numerous systems named "Goku," "Vegeta," or "Imsexy69." It'll not only make it slightly more difficult to keep track of certain spots, and know what the "good" and "bad" Planet Gokus are... it also seriously detracts from the feel of the game.

[ 06-08-2003, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Sir RPG ]

Posts: 47 | From: McKenna, WA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jacius
Veteran Member
Member # 265

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Jacius   Email Jacius   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be frank, I've just read through the whole thread, and I like Dan's original ideas, and then I like it less and less as I consider suggestions. Although a few are good.

Maybe its just me, but all these cheesy, sleazy ideas for getting more money (while more money for Dan certainly is a good thing), sound like bad ideas. $10 to be able to say "I *own* this extra star system" doesn't appeal to me. Especially when there are (theoretically) a billion of them. And then Dan would inevitable faced with complaints.

Golden Stars/Souls is a nice bonus for people who've already got one (Wow, WoS, Arcadia, AND RC! What a bargain!), and as long as the extra features have no significant effect on gameplay, that's great. But it seems almost like lying to advertise a free game, that you need to spend $10 on to get anywhere

~~~~~

I *do* like the idea of colonizing star systems. You construct a Star Hall (like, city hall) or something to represent that you govern this area of space. If someone destroys your Star Hall (hopefully, you have some major defenses around it, though!), then you no longer govern that stay system. Someone else would then get the chance to build their own Star Hall in that system, and claim governmental rule. Your colonies would no have safe areas, like your home system does: its no different than losing a second mineral-gathering base in Starcraft. After a while, if one government controls a system for long enough, they should have so many defenses that they are practically the permanent owner of the system, but only because they literally have undisputable rule (not because, for example, they hit the 1 week mark as system governor. "Woohoo!")

I like the idea of minature economy-based governments/corporations, battling (or cooperating) to control the galaxy/universe's resources. I hope that this ends up as a few large Clubs, although I suspect there will be many aspiring newbies who want to rule their own club. I'm guilty of grandeous visions of my own empire stretching across the galaxy, but I hope I'll have enough common sense when it gets down to it to join a nice club on its way to the top

~~~~~

I would also like to offer my services as graphic artist to you, Dan. I insist that if you need anything art related (skins, logos, even models) that you come to me for help. I find that having multiple projects actually helps me to get more done (especially if I hit a thinking block on one project, I have another project to work on while I get over it).

I think that if you're going to invest the time to make such a large-scale game, then Microsoft-default buttons and scrollbars and windows just wont cut it. I'd be perfectly happy to make any number of buttons, sliders, window borders, and other UI objects. I've got the tools, the time, the talent, and the motivation. Just give me a word, and I'll get started on just about anything you want.

Making a game is a lot of work, Dan, but you dont have to do everything yourself.

-Jacius

Posts: 508 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
bandit
Healthy Member
Member # 1097

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for bandit   Email bandit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im with Jac on this....I hate it when I buy a game, and to keep playing, or advance in the game, i have to pay more. I dont mind paying once, but dont milk me, lol. Anyway, just because I'm busy nowadays doesnt mean I'm not anticipating the next pre alpha, or alpha 1, dan :-D
aiabgold
Member # 726

Rate Member
Lets remember something here:

Supposedly there are about a billion or two systems. Each has some number of planets. Now lets keep those numbers in mind.

Lets say that there are 10 planets in each system. Imagine the size of each planet. Imagine you colonizing each and every one of these big planets. See yourself colonizing each planet for about a month.

Its not hard to guess that the planets will be fairly big. Just look at the extra-early alpha. It will take you a long time to colonize a planet fully. Colonizing the whole system will be even more hard. But the rewards for a whole system at your control will be great. And you payed only what, $10? For maybe 6 months of fun? With just that ONE system? Think about the others. $10. 10 measly dollars. 6 months.

Hey. Thats a damn good deal.

EDIT: Quick follow-up. How about a person who pays 10 bucks for another system becomes a golden star automatically? Some people who are freebiers will be content with one whole system I'm sure but maybe the GS could come with the new system.

[This message has been edited by aiabgold (edited 04-26-2002).]

Merlin
Compulsive Member
Member # 181

Member Rated:
Im with Aiab on this one; Pay to play is worthwhile as long as the game is *fun*.

And Dan, Jac has some l33t artist skillz ;-)

-Merlin

aiabgold
Member # 726

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for aiabgold   Email aiabgold   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, RC has definate potential. Perhaps you might want to look at this one game for ideas. The game is called Mankind, www.mankind.net. Download the free version, sign up and give it a look. Its complicated at first but the basic core elements could be implemented into RC.
aiabgold
Member # 726

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for aiabgold   Email aiabgold   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the topic of minerals:

So I don't remember exactly how many minerals will be in RC but I do know it is alot. How many different minerals will be able to be extracted per mine? Perhaps we should lower the minerals to maybe 10-20 varieties. Some are very rare, others are common so there is plenty of room for good money making.

In the already mentioned game Mankind, there are some modern minerals like oil and iron and some made up ones too. But stuff like uranium fetches a high price and is used in special units and buildings. Maybe a similar system could be used in RC.

[This message has been edited by aiabgold (edited 04-28-2002).]

[the rocket club universe has up to 256 elements.. 128 are reserved for the 'real elements' (however many we are up to these days) and the rest for special RC universe elements "killium" "defensium" etc.

Any object you make requires a mix of elements (defined by the object designer).

Each player star system has the same distribution of key elements, just not the same localization. So we all have 3 units of gold, say, but mine might be all on planet 3, while yours is distributed over all x planets.

But ALL elements are available in trace amounts. It just takes longer to extract them, and you might be better off traveling to a distant spot where they can be mined more quickly. Or to engage in commerce with other systems where they are readily available.

[This message has been edited by samsyn (edited 04-29-2002).]

aiabgold
Member # 726

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for aiabgold   Email aiabgold   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All is quiet in this thread. Someone start up a debate. On RC particualry
Sir RPG
Member # 399

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Sir RPG   Email Sir RPG   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried that Mankind game, just to give it a peek and see a little glimpse of what may possibly be in store for my future (and RC). And I must say, I was... confused, and I currently can't look into playing that game anymore, unless you can answer me this:

How do I make my first few credits? I started with absolutely nothing, including resources and credits (well, I had settlers, but I couldn't sell 'em). I need them to make my first buildings and therefore get even more credits, right?

So, yeah, I'm pretty stuck, and how you're supposed to make those credits isn't mentioned in the manuel (it says I make those 'first few credits' after building mines... but I can't even afford those).

[This message has been edited by Sir RPG (edited 05-06-2002).]

Posts: 47 | From: McKenna, WA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.