Synthetic Reality Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Other Games » Warpath and Rocket Club » Rocket Club Design Notes IV (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Rocket Club Design Notes IV
aiabgold
Member # 726

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for aiabgold   Email aiabgold   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. It is extremely confusing at first. Now you should've started with some credits I think but if you don't its no biggy. The first few buildings you build will be free of costs and materials but will require a few settlers.

To earn credits, land on a planet and search for the appropriate resources (press that three circle button). Using the map of the planet or the surface of the planet, move your mouse around and try to find a place with high amounts of minerals and such.

This process is still confusing. Do you have AIM? or just give me your e-mail and I can help you out. The game gets better once you understand it.

On aim I go by the same screename, AIABGold

[This message has been edited by aiabgold (edited 05-11-2002).]

Posts: 29 | From: Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir RPG
Member # 399

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir RPG   Email Sir RPG   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm good now. I was supposed to start with credits, but the game was bugged and somebody told me to just restart... when I did, I started off with credits.

When I play Mankind, I see it more of an early beta version of Rocket Club. There are so many features that feel... well... missing after reading Dans plans. The planets are mined, and that is all well and good, but there isn't any use for planets other than that. Not even monsters to kill just for fun. Newbies don't get their own little star system, there isn't an in depth guild system, and so on.

Not to mention that the only purpose for space seems to be defense... there aren't really space related buildings, which I think would be a really cool addition. I mean, having colonists live on planets, gather resources, and other planetary tasks is cool, but what about possible functions that couldn't be performed within the environment of a planet? (I can't think of any now, but...) A space colony system for people with enough cash would be cool. It would allow for even more population expansion outside of planets, and maybe even you can have a chance to trade with a planet through a fairly distant banking system through that planets personal space station.

There are many ways you can go. Mankind is an interesting game, but I envision Rocket Club with so much more. I see larger space, and much larger planets... with actual terrain. Forests, rivers, oceans, which you can interact with.

Posts: 47 | From: McKenna, WA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
DGZ
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
WHOOT! Wow! Yippie! All things i said when playin wit my new joystic and RC demo. *darth-vader laugh*... "Boom-Sucka!" heh.

Ok, so ya got yer 2-Bil different star-systems all floating around, fine. I may have missed it earlier, but will you apply any particular distance limitations to the warp jump? I mean, if I'm on one side of the universe can I Warp myself, in one jump, to the "other" side or will you limit it to something like 8 System leapfrogs?
Hope ya understand that least of all I do not enjoy *ahem* raining on anyone's campfire especially since i don't remember if it was covered elsewhere. In the same vein, will all starsystems have the same number of "exits" (links to other starsystems?) or will that vary from system to system? (beware the system with one link, one planet and a club owner with time to kill but pity the system with 12 links many planets and little time *heh*) Yipes! this has gotten relatively long winded.
But I remember one especially important part, I think that as opposed to having a "Safe zone" in your system (since there are 2 billino planets after all) Upon having my defenses crushed and "bases" demolished there should be an exodus to another solar system, of my picking. I know that is goes against THE MODEL, but it would provide a way for the universe to be self-organizing
"i'm good, most of my neighbors are good, except that one." (or vice versa) instead of having dumb blood fueds with snerts, it provides a way for the "better" player to make the "worse" player run with his tail between his legs, but still enjoy the game in their respective space (however new, for one of them)
Voila! My 2 Cents!

IP: Logged
DGZ
unregistered

Icon 3 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, ummmmm i just read over my previous post and realised how much like babble that sounds (it's 4 am here) so, here's my two cents in a penny

- Invincible homeworld = Wasteful Blood
fueds with annoying neigbors
SOLUTION - While "Home" Systems should
be "really" hard to beat, it should
not be impossible it would take too
much from the gameplay (I imagine
it would be much harder to implement
as well.
REASONING - The "alignment" of an area
after time would be really random as
opposed to having "good" and "bad
areas of "space"
- Warp should not grant instant access to
any online system.
SOLUTION - The "universal map" would
look like a trinary (or more) tree
someting like
---------------------------------------------
(Socks)<---->(Where you are)<----->(Joe)
^ ^ ^
/ | \
/ | \
/ | \
v v v
(BoB) (Bob2) (Bob3)
/|\ /|\ /|\
------------------------------------------

ect. with costs associated with each hop.
REASONING - Maybe i'm just insane but
an indefinable element is taken away
from the game for me if i can insta-
hop from point-a to point-b. The
journey is half the trip and it would
annoy me to great lengths to get into
the kind of harrasment battles I
experienced (not to mention
perpetrated)in WP97 in RC. Anyone
considering a battle not on their
home turf would be forced to dedicate
considerable resources to an attack as
opposed to the infamous
*poof*
"DIEEEEE!!!"
"oh SH*T he caught on! Run!"
*poof*
of a WP97 flavor. Overall 2 thumbs wayy up on the PLAN. But my suggestions are to be taken as such, a sort of electronic friendly-fire in the hopes of making RC a truly magnificent game, not a "Mankind" rip-off. (Okay, so two cents suffered some inflation, I have now given you a total of 5 cents) Hrmm. For not posting in ages I certainly am making a superior comeback. maybe i'll get rid of junior member status (only been a junior for 2-4 years o-course)
Luv ya, Miss ya, Bye Bye now!

IP: Logged
aiabgold
Member # 726

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for aiabgold   Email aiabgold   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sir RPG,

Zoom out of the map in mankind a few times till you can see the systems. Go to the bottom of the screen and click the arrow and type in Ilin Dooeol

Press enter and the screen will travel to the system. Enter it and there you can see my friend's starbase. It is huge! Using the same travel technique, type in your system name and get back to your own.

Most of which you have mentioned is actually in Mankind. Guilds I'm not so sure about since I haven't tried any yet.

Starbases are easy to construct since the proper techs are researchable even with newbies. The problem is just getting beyond the shareware restrictions. I plan on registering during the summer. Planets are good for battles, bases, and cities which increase your population I think. So is all that empty space.

You are right about things like terrain though. RC will be cool in that matter and many others. Considering Mankind was made in 1999 though and how its managed to aquire 200,000 players, its still a great game. RC will be very cool all in itself, even if it has less players.

E-mail me at aiabgold@mattcohn.com I want to check on your system and see how your doin =0

Posts: 29 | From: Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hal
Veteran Member
Member # 1426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hal   Author's Homepage   Email Hal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

--------------------
Any and all velca will be added to your personal hahta in Angamando.

Posts: 711 | From: Chanhassen, Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
$FISTofFATE$
Obsessive Member
Member # 918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for $FISTofFATE$   Email $FISTofFATE$   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dunno if this has come up or was planned but:

*The ability to land on planets and bring up a shopping menu(I know it is like warpath in 3d but that would be cool [Razz] )

*Instead of carrying millions of little 10 people guilds make it so that there is 25 guilds TOPS. All players must join that guild in orfer to fight for it and be part of it

*Give all guilds a starting point of the galaxy which is their territory. If someone can invade them and take it then it becomes their territory and maybe the remaining members will have to become rebels and try and take back their quadrant which was stolen from them

*Allow guilds to have common bank accounts in which members deposit all the money they get in order to buy large items for use with their guild/territory) ie. A defence system of lasers, a sensory system, a spacestation for long distance refueling. Maybe you could put in a deathstar but George Lucas might not like that [Smile]

--------------------
Retired Lord of Internal Affairs
Lords of Destruction

Posts: 6363 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ozymandius
Member # 1297

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Ozymandius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woh Dan RC looks like it could be a real winner! Keep up the good work.
I have a suggestion how about making two types of crystals. Lets say Crystal A is one nicely sealed transferable item. There should also be a crystal B one nicely sealed transferable plan for an item/blueprints. People using Crystal type A would not be able to see how much Deathium, efficium etc.. is used in a particualar item. However people using crystal B could just load that into their factory and have their factory produce it. This would increase the importance of going to say Ozzy's sytem because he is the only one that knows how to build the mega-ray of doom.

--------------------
"Don't look at me in that tone of voice"

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh one refinement to the hub metaphor...

wormhole travel is based on entangled quantum states, such that you leave a shadow behind in your home star system.

So... if a wormhole suddenly closes (someone shuts down their copy of the game [Smile] ), you are snapped back to your home system, instead of being left in theirs.

--------------------
He knows when you are sleeping.

Posts: 10561 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
Hal
Veteran Member
Member # 1426

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Hal   Author's Homepage   Email Hal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo! How about some 'permanent' systems, like the galatic trading post, guild system, ect, ect.

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have that pencilled in as the "NPC Stars" (about half the universe). The network topology in that case is a little weird, as the first person to visit an NPC star becomes the server for that star FOR THAT VISIT (and basically NPC Star Systems can't have persistent changes made to them... As soon as everyone leaves the system, it goes back to the default state it had... so if you built something, it's likely gone)

Obviously I will try to do better than that, but that's my current prediction. It's possible I will let you remember how you left the star, and if you happen to be the host again, it will pick up as YOU last saw it to be... but it won't be a true persistent state like the player stars should be.

BUt that should be good enough for quests, stores, etc.

And for 'skirmish mode' battles

--------------------

Dark Ant
Member # 2359

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dark Ant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ALL HAIL DAN!

creater of a soon to be very awsome game! I can't wait for RC to come out.

--------------------
Why?

Hal
Veteran Member
Member # 1426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hal   Author's Homepage   Email Hal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How far are you to version V? We want every little change, like if you change the font size. ;P Really, how far?

--------------------

$FISTofFATE$
Obsessive Member
Member # 918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for $FISTofFATE$   Email $FISTofFATE$   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
creater of a soon to be very awsome game!
Hmm have you ever heard of Warpath, Arcadia, or Well of Souls?

--------------------
Lords of Destruction

$FISTofFATE$
Obsessive Member
Member # 918

Member Rated:
Server Options

Fuel burn:

Give moderator to select whether fuel burn is factored in or not. Makes a difference in long battles or long distance flights.

Galaxies

Much like WoS worlds give the people the abilities to make their own galaxies for people to battle in [Smile]

Ship Classes

Different classes of shisp when youstart out. Maybe a scout class, fighter class, and Armored Class

--------------------
Lords of Destruction

wut??
Healthy Member
Member # 2684

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wut??   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmm... capitol ship?

we still have the idea of all small ships just being able to attach to eachother as one big turret...

[ 09-05-2002, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: wut?? ]

--------------------
««Home»»

Posts: 111 | From: Campbell, California... USA.. W00t usa. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
$FISTofFATE$
Obsessive Member
Member # 918

Member Rated:
Map!

Easy to get lost in outer space. (go figure [Smile] )

We need a full3d map. A sphere map is what I had in my head. I will draw up a roungh personal thougt of what it should be and maybe mail it to ya dan

--------------------
Lords of Destruction

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
I'm pretty sure the 'map' will be more of a phone book.

But I hope we'll have a local 3D 'radar'

--------------------

$FISTofFATE$
Obsessive Member
Member # 918

Member Rated:
Well you saw it. As messy as it was. That is just the way most 3d maps work. Based somewhat on the one used for homeworld which also had to deal with the 3d space map issue

--------------------
Lords of Destruction

Merlin
Compulsive Member
Member # 181

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Merlin   Author's Homepage   Email Merlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I allways liked the X-Wing/Tie Fighter Radar..

-Merlin

Posts: 2797 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
F'Nok
Obsessive Member
Member # 201

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F'Nok   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd suggest giving all systems a X, Y, Z coordinates. At the very least when you see these on the locations list it'll give the feel of a true 3d universe. They can also be used to calculate the distance to other systems.
It gives the added bonus of allowing you to actually implement the universe screen or similar later, as all places already have coordinates!

[plus it will help haxxor kiddies find the coordinate locations with memory scannorz [Smile] -s]

[ 02-08-2004, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
Kai-Goddess of SoV.
Swords of Villanousity : Website : Guild Hall : Forums

Posts: 5323 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Markiller007
Veteran Member
Member # 1825

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Markiller007   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simple question: Is the hub running at the moment, and does anyone wanna come on so I can test out the Multiplayer demo?

--------------------
The land of summoners awaits, summon any monster and free the people today.
the_summoner Home page

Posts: 553 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
$FISTofFATE$
Obsessive Member
Member # 918

Member Rated:
I have played on the HUB before with multiple players being able to see their names and their chat. We were unable to locate eachother but still we were on. About the current status of the hub I do not know

--------------------
Lords of Destruction

Markiller007
Veteran Member
Member # 1825

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Markiller007   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok thanks FOF, If all it is right now is glorified chat then I aint missin out on much [Smile] Visuals are ace though, good work dan, though full screen dont seam to work(and if I select my Gforce 2 card for graphics the whole demo laughs at me and crashes(not to be taken litterally) So am I stuck with 'primary display adaptor'? (presumably my Gforce 2 anway lol)

--------------------
the_summoner Home page

Kain
Member # 1348

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Kain   Email Kain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant!

--------------------
Kain
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."

F'Nok
Obsessive Member
Member # 201

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F'Nok   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice sig Kain [Smile]

--------------------
Kai-Goddess of SoV.
Swords of Villanousity : Website : Guild Hall : Forums

Posts: 5323 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Casey
Verbose Member
Member # 522

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My complements on the demo. I'll be at a lan party on the 16th so I might be able to convince people to see if we can locate each other.

Also... I looks as if the planets are all in line with one another all the time, and I didn't see any planet rotation around the sun.

I love the controls though [Smile]

Would also be possible to impliment a way to upgrade manuverabilty, acceleration and peek velocity?

I don't know if anyone has asked this yet but... can the game be skinned? [Smile]

[ 10-27-2002, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Casey ]

--------------------
The cheese doesn't wear me, I wear the cheese.

Posts: 1314 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Markiller007
Veteran Member
Member # 1825

Member Rated:
From what Dan says, I think everything will be skinable [Big Grin] I mean he talks of making brand new, never done before stuff and makin skins for them. All sounds great to me [Smile]

--------------------
the_summoner Home page

Casey
Verbose Member
Member # 522

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
cool shtuff. I'll try to contribute some art that isn't ripped off from video games...

speaking of being origonal and partially legal, I have a techno program called FruityLoops on my puter. I'm still starting how to do stuff, but I can put together a basic drum beat and apply some cheesy, spacy sounds to it. Cheesy techno is required for ALL good space based games [Big Grin]

Dan, let me know if you have any requests. I can throw together some midi's (yes, it can save the music to midi!) of what other people have done in the demo's that come with it, and give you the one song that I did that's halfway decent. [Razz]

My email is on my webpage in my sig.

--------------------
The cheese doesn't wear me, I wear the cheese.

Posts: 1314 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ericman
Member # 4458

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Ericman   Email Ericman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this is my first post on the whole forum, and i have ALOT to say:

1) GET ANOTHER DEMO OUT SOON
2) the game needs good enough graphics so you can tell how far from the terrain you are, otherwise landing will be very difficult
3) ships should be able to take impact damage, making a crash possible (and collisions)
4) you should be able to design a ship/building as detailed as you want, down to the rivet or by the room
5) Ma gunner seperate from a pilot might help
6) INSIDE SHIP LAND MASS- when you leave your ship, you actually leave your seat, or controls and are yet to get up, open he door and get out, that will make in-ship proccesses alot more fun.
7) ****pit designs: something to make it easier to aim and see whats dead ahead- a crosshair

I got more but i g2g now

--------------------
If beueaty is in the eye of the beholder, then what can you say is not? If insanity is in the eye of the beholder can the world be mad to one, and that one be mad to another?

flapjack
Member # 4588

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for flapjack   Email flapjack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it runs perfectly on planet, but it's laggy as hell in the menu's AND in space.

i wonder how that's possible

I have a:
AMD 2000+ XP
256MB SD ram
Geforce FX5200
Windows XP pro

--------------------
WP 21st rules all

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Three little letters baby... A.. M.. D...

No, seriously, that was just Fear Uncertainty and Doubt.

Something I changed in the last 3 releases or so created a sensitivity on the acceleration settings. I suspect if you crank your 2D acceleration settings down a notch or two, the laggy things will stop.

Of course, that should not be necessary, so it's a bug. But I'm still not sure what it is. FOr me, I think it started when I upgraded to DirectX 9.0x but that could be a red herring.

And yes, I said TWO-D acceleration settings.

--------------------

flapjack
Member # 4588

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for flapjack   Email flapjack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmm, unfortunately my videocard doesn't differ between 3d and 2d acceleration, but when i turned it down 2 notches the game ran smoothly.

Yes, that would be considered a bug and I think it's just trying to overlap something a couple of thousand times, but i'm not exactly an experienced coder

--------------------
WP 21st rules all

Gary Till
Member # 4049

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gary Till   Author's Homepage   Email Gary Till   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the next thing that you should work towards for RC is:
landing on a planet getting out of your ship and walking around on the surface.
then after creating a new account, ship selection. (of couse you will be able buy a new ship to add to your fleet)

also a warpath style weapons system.

i use a 3d modeling app called Anim8or, its free powerful and easy to use it exports in many formats, so you should be able to make a converter for RC ships.

i have tried using my own ships but they ae distorted incredibly, why?

thankyou

--------------------
dont get on my bad side

Posts: 11 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
flapjack
Member # 4588

Rate Member
hmm, new geforce FX5200 drivers installed recently, game now runs pretty much lag free with all settings as normal(aka maximum acceleration).

I still think the ship isn't exactly nice, it looks, well, strange.

Guess that should go away when we can get new ships

--------------------
WP 21st rules all

Silent Knight
Compulsive Member
Member # 1594

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silent Knight   Author's Homepage   Email Silent Knight   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the ship now of course looks like a flying turd, but eventually it will all be better, you just needa be patient, Really really patient [Razz]
Posts: 3361 | From: Midland, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
flapjack
Member # 4588

Rate Member
hmm, patience, 1 of my less practised aspects.

searching and RPing are my better, then comes gaming and then i think comes programming.

I'm not very good at programming yet, i crash 3/4th of the programs i try to build and never finish debugging the rest

--------------------
WP 21st rules all

Crusard
Verbose Member
Member # 2720

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crusard   Author's Homepage   Email Crusard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just seen the RocketClub in the synth-reality website. As far as I played, it looked nice with the d3d stuff. Tomorrow I'll get to find a way to play it.

And by the way, is there any way you can implement the technology to WoS? (A simple "no" will do)

Posts: 1119 | From: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Crusard
Verbose Member
Member # 2720

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crusard   Author's Homepage   Email Crusard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, and I could also contribute in art from ALL sorts. So if you want better planet textures, or ship textures, or whatever, please tell me.
Posts: 1119 | From: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zao
Compulsive Member
Member # 2982

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zao   Email Zao   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The people demand less lag!
Posts: 2030 | From: Stupid Ohio | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.