Synthetic Reality Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Well of Souls » Well of Souls Public Beta » WOS FREQ. ASKED QUESTIONS (Ask Questions Here) (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: WOS FREQ. ASKED QUESTIONS (Ask Questions Here)
Mad
Verbose Member
Member # 5460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad   Author's Homepage   Email Mad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, where is the cache for the JPGs (maps and scene background)? I must be blind but I cannot find it.

Yesterday I was working on a few scene backgrounds. I wasn't completely satisfied of one of them so I made a new one to replace it. However, WoS refused to use it and sticked on the old bkgnd instead. With the "improve the quality of JPG" option off, or if I rename the new file, it works and shows what's in the scene folder - otherwise it uses the bkgnd I made a few days ago, so I'm guessing it's a cache issue. Is there any way to purge it? I guess a simple CTRL+A / DEL would do the job - provided I can locate the damn thing...

--------------------
athelias.biz - Forums - Worlds' List

Posts: 1812 | From: Moe's | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the cache you speak of is inside the WoS TEMP folder. (sceneCache) But you could also force a reload by re-sizing your window. It's safe to delete the contents of that folder at any time. I would delete it automatically, but I always hesitate to add code to my programs which actually deletes files, out of fear it might suddenly go crazy.

[ 01-30-2008, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
He knows when you are sleeping.

Posts: 11017 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
Mad
Verbose Member
Member # 5460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad   Author's Homepage   Email Mad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the quick answer (I knew it would be obvious - I wonder why I didn't check this folder). However, isn't this problem likely to happen again if I replace existing backgrounds? It's no longer a problem to me but even if I tell players to delete the cache after a patch, many are a bit paranoid about deleting stuff in the WoS folder (many players don't even dare open the quest files to read them...), so even if I tell them to do so, most of them won't.

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, personally, I resize my screen all the time, so MY perception is these things go in and out of favor all the time.

HOWEVER, people who play maximized all the time would probably experience what you say, but again, I hesitate to delete these files automatically (purely out of cowardice)

My real guilt feelings come from the fact that you end up with a zillion files in there, and it's just a waste of disk space.

So eventually guilt will out-weigh fear and I will do something about it [Smile]

--------------------
He knows when you are sleeping.

Posts: 11017 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
Mad
Verbose Member
Member # 5460

Member Rated:
So. I've finally decided to build a new PC (I can no longer resist the new Intel Quad Extreme processor [Wink] ), and I'm planing to install Vista 64. Has anyone tried it out with WoS and knows if it's compatible?

Alternatively, I could do a partition with Vista 32 bits installed for the few programs I use that ain't compatible, but switching your OP is always a pain...

EDIT - Beoghztt, I was talking about Vista 64 bits - I know it's ok with Vista 32 bits. I now have my answer by the way: so far so good.

[ 03-07-2008, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: Mad ]

--------------------

True
Member # 7405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for True   Author's Homepage   Email True   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Vista is compatible with Well of Souls. But, with my experence, my hours do not rise over 0:01. It is kinda annoying.

----

Samsyn Asks:

Where do you have WoS installed? If inside of "program files" then I might suspect that being the root of the problem (and that you might have other problems as well, like being unable to don guild uniforms).

[ 03-05-2008, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
Its not how gravity defying your hair is, its about how gravity defying your hair is compared to the other guy.

Posts: 19 | From: Southeren Illinois | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
jamosup
Member # 7875

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jamosup   Email jamosup   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not dead- In fact I've played WoS for years! But I digress. Simple question: Is there a way to change the font that WoS uses for various things like in battle messages (missing, damage, and such, the numbers that appear above people if you decide to harm them!), and just the general font that it uses? Aside from messing with my own fonts which may cause problems elsewhere, of course. Oh yeah, I mean the actual font, and not just the color (like if I wanted to use Courier New instead of Arial)

----

Samsyn Sez:

Nope, those are 'baked in'

[ 02-15-2011, 05:01 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Slow It Down
Healthy Member
Member # 7980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slow It Down     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damage, fails, and buffs. No
Font, yes.

Right click the chat box, and hit "Chat Colors and Font..."

At the bottom, to the right of the button "Background" is "Chat Font"

Click that and pick your font.

Kakashi
Verbose Member
Member # 7046

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kakashi   Email Kakashi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed that on guild pages, under a characters Statistics, theres something labeled "PKed:" I was just wondering what that means as i have no idea how that works.

--------------------
-Epiphany may be gone, but its spirit lives through me-

Hayloft Nightmare: Tyler, you should ask for another personal so I can give it to Steve

Scientology must be destroyed

Thanks to Geno, i have many pks.

Posts: 1744 | From: Pearl Harbor, Hawaii | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sean/SoD
Healthy Member
Member # 7959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean/SoD   Email Sean/SoD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how many times youve died during a pk attack?
or kills during pk attacks. I noticed it as well and thats all I thought it could possibly be

[ 07-29-2008, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: Sean/SoD ]

Posts: 329 | From: Victoria, Australia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sean/SoD
Healthy Member
Member # 7959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean/SoD   Email Sean/SoD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what does
Code Blue: AArgh mean?

----

Samsyn says:

it means you're going to tell a lie in your next post.

[ 08-15-2008, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Posts: 329 | From: Victoria, Australia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sean/SoD
Healthy Member
Member # 7959

Member Rated:
Max gave me his old code cause I got booted of mine due to a wos bug and didnt have my code anywhere.

----

Samsyn Says:

See! tada!

[ 12-12-2008, 01:40 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

woxic
Member # 8280

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for woxic   Email woxic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!

I got some problems, when me and my friend in my network at home plays. I can't join when he's on the server. It says that he got the same serial number that i have. Please i really need help fast!

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hesacon   Author's Homepage   Email Hesacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try a different server, some people run their serves so you can't join on multiple machines from the same house.

--------------------
SoV: Exalted Devout Oracle | World Developer | The Black Guard
Outside is just a prank older kids tell younger kids at Internet Camp

Posts: 9535 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sean/SoD
Healthy Member
Member # 7959

Member Rated:
I think the serial code thing only comes up when you have the same soul ID anyway, may be mistaken on this though.
Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beoghztt   Author's Homepage   Email Beoghztt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not that. Computers in the same LAN basically have the same global IPs and may be blocked by servers that don't allow duplicated IPs.

Joining a MIX server hosted within the LAN is a different story. Because the MIX multiplayer option requires clients to connect through the MIX master, you'd have to ping yourself for your server to be even visible to yourself. Many routers block self-pinging, so in a LAN routed by such router your server will always appear as "Waiting for ping" to both you and other clients in the same network (even though the server is essentially hosted locally). This can be easily worked around by telnetting to your server, though.

Anyway, take Hesa's advise and try a different server. If that doesn't work, host a server and telnet to it.

[ 06-15-2009, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Beoghztt ]

--------------------
This signature contains a lot of foul languages.
                                                                                   Also racism.

Posts: 2227 | From: Yokohama, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sean/SoD
Healthy Member
Member # 7959

Member Rated:
Its just that for me, when someone has the same soul ID it comes up with an Uh-oh someone has the same serial number etc etc, however when Its just me on my laptop and someone else on the PC with different soul IDs, it just disconnects us both from the server when the 2nd person enters.
woxic
Member # 8280

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for woxic   Email woxic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actully we have same soul id, he got the install from my machine.
Vanda Ribeiro
Member # 8319

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vanda Ribeiro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the Pet Arena in Westin (Evergreen), supposedly the monsters fighting your pet can't hurt you (it says so when you enter the arena), but actually they do. Is it just to trick you or is this a bug?

Thanks [Wink]

L33TSkillz
Member # 8295

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for L33TSkillz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do monsters have a trophy bag, or deal with spell trophies in any way?

----

Samsyn Sez

monsters do not have a trophy bag. If a monster were set up with a spell that should require trophy 'ammunition' the monster will probably cheat and cast it anyway.

[ 02-15-2011, 05:06 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Carlos
Member # 8326

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carlos   Email Carlos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya, my name is Carlos and I used to play Well of Souls a long time ago. I decided to start playing again to see if I could find old friends that might still be playing, only to find that my Public mix servers list always stayed blank and never booted up and I'm left with a message saying...

"Getting list of MIX servers from mixmaster server..."

of course I looked up at the FAQ guide along with the super FAQ on the synthetic-reality website to see what was wrong. At first, I suspected it was my firewall that stopped the connection, however, in the MIX folder "preferences.ini" in the WoS computer file, I found this...

"[options]
extension=1501368623
myPassword=
autoBanish=1
dupeOK=0
requireSernum=0
Discldle=0
[General]
MOTD= Don't get any ideas, that my job
BANISHED= You are no longer privileged to use this server.
RULES="

Banished? Me? I looked up the faq to see why this happened and found this.

quote:
2.) You have some sort of UDP firewall in place (since it was working for you before, this is unlikely unless your system or your ISP made a change)... or you got added to the master server banishment list. During today's peak usage I manually banished a couple of IP addresses with 'unusual activity' which might be what happened. If your IP shows up repeatedly with unusual activity, we'll have to figure out why that is.
Could I be one of those IP addresses with unusual activity? Did I manage to do something extremely stupid and do something I wasn't supposed to? Help would really be appreciated.

-----

Samsyn Sez

The text in preferences.ini is just what you are to be told if you WERE banished, not that you necessarily ARE banished (or were at the time).

Occasionally IP addresses get banished through no one's fault and I have to manually clear them before you can use the server again.

[ 02-15-2011, 05:08 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Szkav
Member # 8395

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Szkav     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, so my WoS crashed at the start of WoS tactics battle yesterday, and i haven't been able to get through the MIX server list since- i get the "Getting list of MIX servers from mixmaster server" message along the top.

I'm on windows vista- I temporarily disabled my firewalls, and checked to make sure ports 8000 and 8001 UDP and TCP are open on my wireless router, restarted the computer, as well as trying every other thing i could think of, and everything listed in the troubleshooting guides. I'd even tried reinstalling WoS, to no avail. WoS had been running fine on vista beforehand- though it did suffer occasional freeze-ups and crashes, but not at any alarming frequency, really.

This was my first attempt at opening a WoS Tactics battle in multiplayer, as well. perhaps a bug of some sort?

Did i miss anything? any ideas?

Thanks

TZX
Member # 8439

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TZX   Email TZX   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My pet stingtail (Evergreen) has no wisdom and has max stupidity as soon as I close the "train pet" window. is this a glitch?

-----------

Samsyn Sez:

[no, that's normal. a creature with 0 wisdom initially, can never gain wisdom (which prosaically means that if it could not initially cast spells, it never will be able to cast spells). The BUG/feature is that if you start with a high wisdom pet, and let it go stupid, it can permanently lose all its spell casting abilities, since once wisdom hits zero you cannot raise it back up. That seemed cool to me at the time. -s]

[ 02-15-2011, 05:00 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Member # 664

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alter   Email Alter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry about it though, this may have changed but a pet that only hits is more useful then one that casts, unless it is a healer [Razz]
Posts: 2941 | From: Niceville, Fl | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
TZX
Member # 8439

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TZX   Email TZX   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but because of this, I can't get its mood above cranky or ennui
PsYcOtIc
Obsessive Member
Member # 2786

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PsYcOtIc   Email PsYcOtIc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a pet is unable to cast, it is doomed to a life of stupidity. This means it will maintain 0 wisdom.

Dont worry about your pets mood. He will never truly be happy in captivity. You have it as happy as you will get it.

--------------------
chown -fR ~/base -us

Posts: 6833 | From: Aldergrove, BC | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yuinee
Member # 10246

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yuinee   Email Yuinee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
has there been any update on trying to bring WoS to Steam?
Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hesacon   Author's Homepage   Email Hesacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
has there been any update on trying to bring WoS to Steam?
No my knowledge it was never planned to be ported to Steam.

--------------------
SoV: Exalted Devout Oracle | World Developer | The Black Guard
Outside is just a prank older kids tell younger kids at Internet Camp

Posts: 9535 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nero
Healthy Member
Member # 3894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nero   Author's Homepage   Email Nero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan mentioned in a separate thread at one point that he was working on getting the game ported over to Steam. That was probably about 2ish years ago by now. I assumed he wasn't accepted to bring it to life on the platform...

--------------------
† Rothgar †
There is only two things life can be: A gift, or a curse. You make the choice.

Posts: 280 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doc
Verbose Member
Member # 1092

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan,

Quick question. Long-time fan. Do you have any plans to implement raytracing in WoS? I dream of seeing a fully path-traced lighting solution in the game. [Wink]

Love,

An adoring fan and old friend.

Doc.

--------------------
Haayah! Doc has struck you with his lethal kara-TAY chop!

Posts: 1029 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
WildWestPyro
Member # 10220

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildWestPyro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you even still have the source code? If you do it might be a good idea to back that up somewhere.

--------------------
Gacha ruined my life

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.