Synthetic Reality Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Well of Souls » Well of Souls Public Beta » WOS FREQ. ASKED QUESTIONS (Ask Questions Here) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: WOS FREQ. ASKED QUESTIONS (Ask Questions Here)
Blade Sabre
Healthy Member
Member # 2136

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blade Sabre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What happens if WoS meets two unique skins with the same filename?

----------
samsyn says:

If you meet someone with "skinA" but you already have a copy of a skin called "skinA", then you won't automatically ask for a copy of their skin, even though it's different, and you will see them as if they were wearing the copy you already have.

If you delete your original copy, or manually 'fetch' their skin, you will get their version (but it will overwrite the version you had -- which you might consider renaming first if you wanted to keep it.)

The point is that for file transfers, it is the skin's name which is important and the file system will not let you keep two files of the same name in a single folder.

[This message has been edited by samsyn (edited 06-23-2002).]

Posts: 269 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bile
Compulsive Member
Member # 1626

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bile   Author's Homepage   Email Bile   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
um, whats the deal with the level 35 ring, which does exist, contrary to a previous post on this topic.

It's called the ring of invisibility and you can't get it legit, only by cheating.

----
Samsyn Points Out

If you have to cheat to get it, it's arguable as to whether or not it exists [Smile]

[ 07-14-2002, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Posts: 2324 | From: Leicester | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Visions_Pain
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
er- whats a list of all the commands you can give ur pet ( that work)

-----
Samsyn Says:

This incredibly long list of pet commands only works for Golden Souls. Let's assume your pet's name is "Binky"

Binky, come <-- Binky enters scene
Binky, run <-- Binky leaves scene
Binky, <anything else> <-- Binky enters scene

Calling a second pet, makes the first return to the pen.

Speaking to your pet improves their mood, however.

[ 07-14-2002, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

IP: Logged
Blade Sabre
Healthy Member
Member # 2136

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blade Sabre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[edit : first part no longer necessary]

My question now is, was WoS written in C++?
And if it was, does it use DirectX, OpenGL, both, or something else altogether for the graphics?

Sorry if that was a hint and I didn't take it.
*Crawls away sheepishly.*

--------

Samsyn Says

WoS is written in C++ and uses DirectSound, but no other part of the DirectX library. Graphics are homebrew Device Independent Bitmaps (DIBs) using a 256 color class I made some time ago. It's extremely convenient moving one byte per pixel, which is why WoS is a 256 color game.

Rocket Club, the vaporware project, uses Direct3D for the 3D stuff. And I don't use OpenGL anywhere. Though that could change...

[ 07-22-2002, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------

Thanks [Smile]

Maybe some day...

[ 07-23-2002, 03:28 AM: Message edited by: Blade Sabre ]

Posts: 269 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Corpse Collector
Verbose Member
Member # 2249

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corpse Collector   Email Corpse Collector   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe WoS is written in C. C is better than C++. C++ has problems [Smile] If you're wondering about which language to learn I suppose it depends on your goal... If you like object-oriented, visual stuff, especially for the Web, go with Java. If you're more interested in operating systems, database programs, or other general stuff, go with C or C++. There are tons of other languages too, but those are the all-purpose, common, popular ones.

----
Samsyn says

While I originally shared your condemnation of c++, I have come to the conclusion that time has moved on, and declaring 'c' better is now no more valid than declaring 'masm' is better. In theory, the closer you get to machine language, the higher performance you can be. But in practice, the convenience of language features can help you in myriad other ways (one being that the project actually gets worked on [Smile] )

But I mostly use 'c' like programming constructs, even though I use a c++ compiler. Classes are cool if you don't get too carried away with overloaded operators and standard templates. And modern processors are just so darn fast that heck, even Java runs reasonably fast now.

But yeah, compared to c, c++ is all bloaty and piggish at times. But all the big-name games these days are written in c++ and are very object oriented. You just have to optimize those inner loops :-)

[ 07-22-2002, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
I thought inflammable was the opposite of flammable!

Posts: 1810 | From: Quincy, MA, US | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
$FISTofFATE$
Obsessive Member
Member # 918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for $FISTofFATE$   Email $FISTofFATE$   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Q:Why can't I set an avatar?

A:To have an avatar you must no longer be a junior member. You lose junior member status after you have made 30 posts. So on your 31st post you may set an avatar for yourself. Now, be sure to keep it to a normal size so it does not strech the size of posts or the page [Smile]

--------------------
Retired Lord of Internal Affairs
Lords of Destruction

Posts: 6364 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lady Griffon
Verbose Member
Member # 189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Griffon   Author's Homepage   Email Lady Griffon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack100:
i lost my GS code how do i find it?

E-mail Dan from the from the e-mail address that it was originally sent to & he will resend it.

LGH

--------------------
Keeper of the Golden Soapbox
LoH

Posts: 1463 | From: Myzan | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lady Griffon
Verbose Member
Member # 189

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Lady Griffon   Author's Homepage   Email Lady Griffon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack100:
i qant to make quests and mabey post them up how Exactly do you make/Compose a quest [Confused]

All that information is in the quest.txt & other various files that come with Evergreen. I recommend making a COPY (got that? COPY) of Evergreen & naming it something else. That will give you a world to experiment with & try out the different things you read about in those files. There is also a link for World Developers on the main page & on the World Developers Forum.

LGH

--------------------
Keeper of the Golden Soapbox
LoH

Posts: 1463 | From: Myzan | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Artanix
Healthy Member
Member # 593

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artanix   Author's Homepage   Email Artanix   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was talking on a server a while back about maxing my hand skill on one of my characters, he said the 9.990 bug still exists, where you hit for low dmg considering you got real high skill... is this true or has it been fixed??

----

Samsyn says:

Personally, I think this is fixed, but it's tough to prove it one way or another. People have to depend on their own memory and sense of what it was like at 9.980 and then contrast it with the current experience at 9.990 Of course, if the difference is HUGE, I suppose I could be convinced. But otherwise I would be suspicious that they were not comparing apples to apples, as it were.

Still, the possibility exists it could still be flawed. (it is caused by numeric overflow in the middle of computations).

You know... what probably DOES fail is when people hack their training PP to impossibly high levels... that would definitely overflow (and would appear as 9.99 on the training meter.) BUt if you train honestly, I really think the number is range-limited to avoid overflow.

Yeah, only those dang hackers experience this problem. servers 'em right! [Smile]

------------------
Arty Says Back:

cheers, i'll have a look at it and maybe run some test things on it, i'm being a pretty sad person atm and just killing slimes and training the pp to my skill, i'll post what happens sometime when i find out [Smile]

[ 09-06-2002, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Artanix ]

--------------------
If common sense is so common,
why is it so rare?

Posts: 240 | From: Crewe UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
IceFox/ Silver
Obsessive Member
Member # 2200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IceFox/ Silver   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 questions.

First question is about the previous post;
what if you made a world where you char starts with START_ELEMENT_PP 100 million PP instead of 6 million PP to max it, would that cause an overflow as well?

Second question;
I wanted to look up some cookies in the Quest Dictionary, the problem is the cookies where added after a64 (I think, I'm not sure at all [Eek!] ) and the Quest Dictionary hasn't been updated since A64.
My request is if you could make life a little bit easier for me and the other world developers and update the Quest Dictionary again when a70 comes out? So many things have been added again since a64 and it's hard to keep up with everything if you have to learn everything from files that aren't updated yet.

Thanks for looking at my post [Smile]

Silver

LGH - As far as I've been able to determine the Quest Language Dictionary and Cookie List
is up to date even though the page only says A64. - LGH

[edit]
Ah okay, thanks for the help.
Now I just need an answer on the first question [Smile]

[ 09-07-2002, 03:39 AM: Message edited by: IceFox/ Silver ]

--------------------
Silver
RoT's Homepage - ProxBeta

Posts: 7114 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
$FISTofFATE$
Obsessive Member
Member # 918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for $FISTofFATE$   Email $FISTofFATE$   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Q: I get constant error messages with Well of Souls such as "Illegal Operaion"

A: Well I would give the advice that if it happens often try to run a full virus scan on your computer and possibly a scan disk to make sure all files are not infected and healthy. If that fails I suggest that you re-install the whole WoS folder right over the old one. That shold over-write any bad files that you have.

---

And the network connection thing has been answered elsewhere.

[ 09-06-2002, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: $FISTofFATE$ ]

--------------------
Lords of Destruction

ShammyClause
Compulsive Member
Member # 2025

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShammyClause   Author's Homepage   Email ShammyClause   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blade Sabre:
Would it be possible for two people on different computers to get the same Soul ID when they install WoS?

I'm guessing it's just extremely unlikely, but I'm interested to know if there's some clever system which stops it happening.

NonGS=each computer gets its own permanent number when WOS is installed unless the computer is formatted and WOS is installed again.

GS=It is possible to have the same GS on several different computers by putting in the activation code for that individual GS. Two people can't play on the same server with the same Soul ID, in case you didn't know.

There is a clever algorithm in the WOS engine that chooses the Hex valued NONGS ID for you. The probability of it giving out the same number to two people is very low. For an eight digit hexadecimal number (which WOS uses for ID) the top value it could be would be FFFFFFFF which converted to decimal form would be 4294967295. So you see the chances are 1 and over 4 billion.

--------------------
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.

Posts: 3038 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
CPG-WS^Prophet
Member # 3433

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CPG-WS^Prophet   Email CPG-WS^Prophet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you join a passworded server? I have read alot of documentary but I can't seam to find anything on the subject. Could someone help?

----
samsyn sez:

If you mean a MIX game server then the dialog box (admin window) which challenged you for a password is expecting you to type it into the little edit box below and then hit return.

You need to do this pretty promptly, or else you will get disconnected from the server.

[ 03-09-2003, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Skywalker
Verbose Member
Member # 1454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skywalker   Author's Homepage   Email Skywalker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard a number of people asking about how Josh makes his skins. Here you'll hear from the man himself..

JOSH:

-

Save yourself the headache and fire up MS Paint- we're making the whole skin in there. It is possible to make skins in other graphics programs, but MS Paint has the benefit of being included with virtually every version of Windows, and is incredibly easy to operate. Download a set of empty skin forms and a copy of WoSViewer before you start, while you're at it. You probably already know that WoS stores skins in their own folder, so you might want to save your skins into a new folder, so that you can save your work at various intervals under different filenames, and not have to search through a hundred skins to reload them.
You're probably already familiar with the skin form: skins are made up of five (and two optional) square frames, outlined in one-pixel thick guidelines The COMPASS ROSE frame is the first, and controls how your character looks on the main map, the READY frame shows your character in a state of inactivity, the ATTACK frame shows your character in mid-attack, the WEAK frame shows your character being attacked, the CHAT frame is used when talking, the CREDIT frame displays the skin's credits, and the MAGIC frame (not shown in this example) shows your character executing a magical attack. Pretty straightforward.
You'll notice that the guidelines and the background (transparency) color get removed in game. The first pixel of the skin (at coordinates 0,0) sets the transparency color, although teal (RGB 0, 128, 128) works best for clean cut transparency.
 -
Select the line tool for the MS Paint tool bar, and pick a color that shows up well against the transparency color- any color but black. Draw up a rough sketch and work on getting the posistioning right, don't worry too much about shape here.
 -

At this point you'll want to draw over your original outline (I like to use black for this, hence not using black the first time). Use the line tool to draw with, connecting small lines so that the character's outline doesn't look too geometric. Once you've got the final outline traced how it's going to look in the final product, select the transparency color as your second color, and whatever you used on the first outline as the first. Select the eraser tool, rightclick, and erase- only the first color will be erased, leaving the black outline.
Use the fill tool and add some color: don't worry about getting the correct colors now, you'll be able to change them later, it just helps to be able to conceptualize the character.
Copy and paste the READY frame into the next three frames, keeping all the guidelines matched up so that the images won't jump around between frames. Depending on your ATTACK and WEAK frames, you may actually want that- a shift forward while attacking, a shift backwards when getting hit.
Now's the simple matter of editing the other frames to make them look like what they're supposed to be. Attacking in the ATTACK frame, getting hit in the WEAK frame, etc. We've all seen skins whose creators seemed to think that this step was unecessary, so you'll already know that this is most certainly an important step. WoSViewer saves the day here. Use it to make sure all your frames line up during animation, and make changes accordingly.

-

Now all the colors get rounded out, adding more shades to create texture and dimension. When you're content with all the frames, copy the READY frame and paste it over the COMPASS ROSE frame- you don't even have to position it there, MS Paint will do that for you automatically if you just hit Edit, Paste- and keep it selected. Resize the selection by clicking the lower righthand corner, and dragging it diagonally up to the upper lefthand corner. What you're trying to do here is resize the READY frame to the first box in the COMPASS ROSE frame (or northeast, if you prefer). Once you're ok with that, maybe clean the image up a little- it's going to be blocky- and then copy it to the other 8 boxes in the COMPASS ROSE frame, horizontally reversing the image as necessary. Remember that the smoother animation you have here, the more impressive. You might want to use the copy/paste/resize method on the FIGHT frame to use in the middle box, which is the image that displays on the map screen when you're character is in a scene. You'll need to zoom in and do a little work on some of the boxes to make the rotation a little smoother, but it won't take that long because they're really small images.
Add the shadows at this point too, since the skin is almost finished, and it's unlikely that you're going to be adding something radical to any of the frames now and then forget to add it in the shadows. Make the shadow for the READY frame first, and then copy the shadowbox to the other frames. Now it's just a matter of tweaking the first shadow to suit each of the other frames.
It's also a good idea to throw in your credits at this point, along with any additional information (mod, assisted by, design by, etc)- this step should take a whole twenty seconds if you already have a CREDIT frame made up somewhere. BAM, you're finished!

FAQ IN FAQ:

Sadly, I already have a day job. Most of these requests get turned down.
Dithering is near impossible in MS Paint, hence the various shades of some colors in some skin. The pants in the above skin have like three or four different greens in them.
Scanning images almost always results in horribleness. I've seen a few cases where it hasn't, but for the most part it's hard to pull off. You'll probably want to scan in your image, use a program like PSP or something, and gradually bring the colors down from 24 bit or whatever to black and white, and then smooth out the jaggy spots.
Using the tutorial above, you will never have problems with converting the skin to RLE (run length encodement), unwanted color changes (WoS uses a specific palette), or large filesizes (WoS won't share skins over 25k). If you do have problems, they're most easily solved by A) opening the skin in MS Paint, B) Copying the skin, C) opening a skin that is known to be WoS compatible, D) pasting your skin overtop of that skin, and E) saving the file under the original skin's filename.
When making villagers, keep all like images together. WoSViewer cannot help you view animation if you've got two frames of one character at opposite ends of the strip.
The transparency color can be changed, but some in-game features (one monster death animation comes to mind) don't appreciate it at all. It's probably just easiest to stick with the original color.
Use the CREDIT frame. Indicate when you've modified someone else's work, and use it to advertise your own. No one wants to claim responsibility for someone else's actions, and I'm sure you wouldn't want to either. And if someone needs to contact you because of your work, they'll just be able to check the CREDIT frame for and e-mail address or IM screenname.
Use the smallest skin form you can. Many skins could be drastically reduced in filesize had they just used smaller skin forms, cutting down on wasted frame space.
Remember that skins get flipped in scenes, according to the direction you're moving in. You might want to leave out text or images that look odd when flipped for that reason.

-Luke (Copyed from Josh)

[ 03-16-2003, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: Skywalker ]

--------------------
Lords of Destruction
www.galiath.com -Home of ProjectX (Host your world here!)

Posts: 1518 | From: a galaxy far, far away.. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
zeldalink
Healthy Member
Member # 3566

Icon 5 posted      Profile for zeldalink   Email zeldalink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i really need help i can't get any servers to appear on the list and ive done everything in the help and FAQs sections!! HELP [Confused] [Eek!] [Frown] [Mad]

-----

samsyn says:

quote:
ive done everything
Except to include your soul id, of course :-)

Seriously, if you include your soul ID I can check the logs. Not your GS activation code (if you have one of those, it is your private secret), just the soul ID that shows in the player list.
--------------------------------------------------
NEVER MIND I GOT IT TO WORK [Smile] [Razz]

[ 04-17-2003, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: zeldalink ]

Skywalker
Verbose Member
Member # 1454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skywalker   Author's Homepage   Email Skywalker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question: Where can i find a image hosting website, so i can use the pictures in my avatar?

Answer: http://www.boomspeed.com/

-Luke

--------------------
Lords of Destruction
www.galiath.com -Home of ProjectX (Host your world here!)

Posts: 1518 | From: a galaxy far, far away.. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Holy Fistblade
Healthy Member
Member # 3579

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holy Fistblade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a question:

Dan, do you often sleep at your computer, mostly on the keyboard and forget to turn off your computer cuz i saw your name at like 10pm-2am alaska time and people said you've been on alot longer.

----

samsyn says:

sadly yes... [Smile]

[ 04-01-2003, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
Now don't cry. He's only smarter, stronger, and better looking than you. There's no need to worry.

Posts: 350 | From: down in redneckville | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Danny
Member # 837

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danny   Author's Homepage   Email Danny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heres my question. How does the UDP sockets that WoS uses work, like does it just use the one that you specify, or does it use more? I've tried to hunt it down using netstat, however I have had no luck. It can't locate the transfers, even when I have my firewall completely turned off, and my problem is that I can't run unfirewalled, because my parents need to use the router too, so... Someone help me please?

-----

Samsyn says:

The 'Network Options' button (or 'network settings' button) on the Where Do You Want To Play Today? dialog lets you specify the primary port for WoS to use.

Wos will use that for its main port, if it is available. If not (for example, if you were to run two copies of wos), then it will use a different port...

As of version A74, that could be any port at all, whatever windows offers. But starting with A75 that will be 'the next port'

So if your base port is 8000, WoS will try to use 8000, then 8001, 8002, etc.

I think this will be nice for some firewall users, as opening a range like 8000-9000 should cover you for any given WoS session.

Probably not a full firewall solution, but a small step in the right direction.

[ 04-11-2003, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Posts: 24 | From: unknown | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gabriel B
Veteran Member
Member # 3597

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Gabriel B     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using WoS A75 and it's having a problem.
When I see other people stats I see they have the same class than me(all the souls have the same class) but the distributtion of hand and magic are different. Why does this happens?

----

Samsyn: this is a bug in A75, sorry.

[ 04-23-2003, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
The only thing you can't get rid of by loosing it is your temper...

Gabriel B
Veteran Member
Member # 3597

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Gabriel B     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How can I lock a camp?
Sometimes, when I try to enter a campneither I can't enter the camp but also my HP and MP goes to 1.
How does this happens?

----

Samsyn: If you are a PKer, you can't lock your camp (other than in Macguyver Castle where all camps have the little lock icon). This behaviour might vary from world to world. If you are a non-PKer you can right-click on your own name on the STATS panel and select... um... lock party. This will both prevent people from joining yout party, and latecomers from entering your scene.

Dunno about the HP=1 part.

[ 04-23-2003, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

Gabriel B
Veteran Member
Member # 3597

Member Rated:
I'm trying to heal myself but WoS says thet it would be lag killing. Even if the monster I killed were already dead, or it was mine camp.
Why does that happens?

---

Samsyn says:

This actually means the game thinks you lost your network connection... you should have a seen a message to that effect "You seem to have lost your network connection"

This messes up the fight, even if it was a solo one against a monster.

The historical background to this is someone would invite someone else into their scene, then disconnect their computer from the web and bash a 'ghost' of the other guy into the ground, earning whatever reward people get out of behaving that way.

[ 05-16-2003, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

$FISTofFATE$
Obsessive Member
Member # 918

Member Rated:
Q:What is this "Ill Wind" code I have received?

A:Well this code in general means you were naughy and did something the game did not like (ie hacking) The only numbers you need be concerned about are the last set which tells you how long you will be banned for (ie 10 means 10 days) Each time you get caught hacking the longer the ban will last for until you will eventually be unable to play the game.

--------------------
Lords of Destruction

Weasle
Compulsive Member
Member # 1022

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Weasle   Author's Homepage   Email Weasle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Random newbie asks:

"OHH MY GOD, WHERE HAS ALL MY EQUIPMENT GONE? ALL I CAN SEE IS ONE PIECE!"

Weasle answers:

You accidentally clicked the "Show all" button, which is on the top right of the equipment screen. Without it selected, you only see the one piece of equipment you had selected.

You probably clicked it on accident while trying to move across the map to the NE, and got into a fight, then accidentally clicked again.

Simply re-click on it to fix it.

--------------------
L-o-D.com

Posts: 4931 | From: Nightmare Castle | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
saxamophone0
Obsessive Member
Member # 2917

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for saxamophone0   Author's Homepage   Email saxamophone0   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alrighty, here's one for the "Big Kahuna"....yeah.

Well, sometime....well, alot of the time. Actually whenever I host my own pics for hosting (Digikitten/boomspeed) But, oddly, they don't show up. Not even a broken link, I get nothing! Is this some sort of sick trick on me? Waaa!

Oh yes, thanks [Smile]

----

Samsyn says:

I dunno. Maybe boomspeed only gives you X free views a day or something. I'm sure it's meant against you personally though. No one else using boomspeed has any problem at all.

Seriously, I have never used boomspeed, so I don't know what their rules are. most 'free web site' hosts these days use special tricks to prevent you from hosting images on their site which are then viewed directly from another (with the advertising not shown).

[ 05-27-2003, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
Word is born.

Posts: 8542 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dragin
unregistered

Icon 8 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
My pokegachi just recently got to 0exp. I keep bringing it into fights, let it do all the killing sometimes, even sit there and heal it, myself and the monsters over and over again and he just doesn't go to the next level. Why not?

---

Samsyn Says: I didn't know it was even POSSIBLE to move backwards in XP on a pet. I don't think you have shown the level of responsibility required for having a pet, young man. You *promised* you would take care of it, just like the weasel you begged for last xhristmas!

[ 05-27-2003, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

my music is cool
unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
hey samsyn, i got a Question 4 u..

-where can u download that jammer music thingy

please tell me [Frown]

----

Samsyn says: the answer to all questions of that form is to ask google.com

IN this case, I ask "jammer midi" and it replies:

www.soundtrek.com

The great Google Oracle is never at a loss.

[ 05-27-2003, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

asdas
Member # 3837

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for asdas   Email asdas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When i want to use my lvl 100 char it says that i get to lvl 99 in record time and i can't use my lvl 100 char [Frown] what i should do ?

----

samsyn says:

Apparently you only have a few hours invested in that character, so it shouldn't be a big deal to start over.

What a heartless thing to say. [Smile]
----

asdas asks:

How long i must play that this doesn't happen ? [Confused]

[ 06-01-2003, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: asdas ]

Twisted Angel
Veteran Member
Member # 3066

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Twisted Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Twisted Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx for the information, well my soul ID is 501A1743. Please see why im muted Dan.

----

Samsyn Says:

Well, your hours have been jumping all over the place. So you either have a very unreliable computer disk system, or you regularly muck with your WoS files for some reason. In any case, that's why your gagged at present.

FWIW on the 11th of June it happened again and you switched to soul #42c4d443

It certainly will never heal as long as you keep picking at it [Smile]

[ 06-15-2003, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
FoA - Ancient Enigma
[i]Loyalty is something others don't believe.[/l]

Posts: 904 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
cyborg
Member # 3743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cyborg   Author's Homepage   Email cyborg       Edit/Delete Post 
Besides..that GS was only temporary...I was buying one of my own a week later...but then I got banned so I didn't buy one..I had that character becoming modders problem...my internet disconnected me...and I relogged on and they were modders and my Soul ID changed...so my friend said he would give me a GS not to make them modders.

----

Samsyn Says:

According to the logs you had a brief problem leading to your soul ID changing for a few hours. You then recovered your original serial number but still felt the need to use someone else's GS, even though your characters would have been usable without becoming modders (except for characters created in the few hours you had the new code.) Later that same night (my time) you used t-souls online.

I have written at length about this sort of thing before, many times. The game puts up an explicit warning at the moment you are entering the GS activation code. You can not possibly be ignorant of the consequences.

All you have lost is access to a free internet game.

[ 06-15-2003, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
† Rothgar †
† Legacy †

Posts: 19 | From: tx | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lance Maverick
Member # 3895

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Lance Maverick   Email Lance Maverick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this may sound kinda stupid, but I checked the FAQ and it said nothing about this, so...

Q: I downloaded the lates version of the WoS installer, but whenI try to run it, it tells me "This file contains invalid data." What is wrong, and can fix it? [Confused]

-----

Samsyn Inserts His Form Letter On this Subject:

PROBLEM: "Invalid Data" after double-clicking a self-extracting installer file.

This usually means that something went wrong while downloading the file, and the solution is to download it again (yuck!) Whenever downloading a file a second time, save it to a different folder. Otherwise the computer might think it already has bits of the file and not actually fetch them.

Other possibilities:

* you have a virus which is attaching itself to the file before you get a chance to start extracting files from it.

* you have hardware problems with hard drive or memory (extremely rare)

* you have a macintosh (not as rare as you might think) and the program is for windows

* your copy of windows needs to be freshened via the WINDOWS UPDATE button on the start menu

* your ISP has 'cached' a bad copy of the file

* the program you are trying to install is already running (shut it down first)

* you used a 'download accelerator' while downloading the file (my web site does not support those), resulting in an incomplete transfer

[ 06-25-2003, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
I didn't do it!!!

Posts: 11 | From: Ummm.... my house, I hope. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Blight
unregistered

Q: My friend and I are both trying to play WoS on a server at the same time. However, it keeps telling us we have the same serial number. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing WoS many times, but this isn't fixing the problem! What should I do?

-Blight

----

Samsyn Says:

This means you both have the same serial number (duh!) Usually this happens because a copy of WoS was.. um.. copied.. to the second machine instead of it having the installer run on it directly.

Looking at the silver lining, the GOOD news is that boths PCs can share the same characters without them becoming marked as 'modders' (yay!)

The BAD news is that the two PCs can not play together in the same game.

The official solution is to get a Golden Soul for one (or both) of the PCs. (I mean a DIFFERENT golden soul for each.. if you put the same GS on both machines you'll be right back to where you were.)

The game tries to prevent you from modifying your serial number after the fact, since that is generally something people do to escape punishment for sins of the past... There will be those who offer to explain how to get around this, but I do not guarantee their prescriptions will leave you with the ability to play the game at all. The game reeeeeeeeallly doesn't like it when you switch serial numbers unofficially.

[ 06-25-2003, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Anakha
unregistered

Im sure you get this alot, but i can't seem to get the soul armor. I have talked to the princes and Duncan, and gone to the place at the right, but the goblins never show up. Can i get some help?

---

Samsyn Says (again):

It's broken in version A76. No soul armor (without some form of cheating) until A77. Sorry.

[ 07-05-2003, 02:16 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Riha
Compulsive Member
Member # 3993

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Riha   Author's Homepage   Email Riha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when i try to download a world, join a guild, look at my guild unis, or fetch skins none of this works could you help me

---

Samsyn Says

The common element of all these activities is the game needs direct access to the web site. I would guess your web access is going through a proxy, and the game doesn't handle that.

[ 07-13-2003, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Posts: 2125 | From: NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Frerain
unregistered

Icon 8 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I try to connect, I have no firewall but it says you seem to have lost your network connection...what is it? how do I fix it

---

Samsyn Says

What little I have to offer here is covered in the http://www.synthetic-reality.com/wosSuperFAQ.htm but basically that message means that you lost your tcp/ip connection to the MIX server. (Or, more to the point, the operating system told the game that the connection was dropped).

USUALLY this is related to one of two things:

1.) firwall issues at your end or the other

2.) a collision between your modem and your sound card (some sound cards share hardware with the modem and mess up your connection as soon as the sound starts up -- bad sound cards, of course, but inexpensive ones.)

3.) (the 'other' 2 [Smile] ) if the MIX server in question doesn't LIKE you, it will disconnect you. This is most common if you do something like play two copies of the game from the same IP address and connect to the same server.

4.) (a newly discovered 2) Something else.

[ 07-13-2003, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Syraq
Member # 3694

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syraq   Email Syraq   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible for a 0 WIS pet in Evergreen to get to 1 WIS without spending most of my life pressing the frisbee button? Hmm... guess my pet Grey Wolf can't exceed "Almost happy".

Here's a better question...

Annkay Ihreay Atzekay Eutschday Unday Einlateinschway Eichzeitigglay Echenspray?

Ennway Ichtnay, Arumway Ichtnay?

---

Samsyn says...

Q: Kann Ihre Katze Deutsch und Schweinlatein gleichzeitig sprechen? Wenn nicht, warum nicht?

A: Meine Katze spricht nur Franzoesich, und hat eine furchtbar aksent!

But no, a pet with 0 wisdom will never recover. So don't let your pets grow up to be... no wait... I was about to offend someone!

[ 07-30-2003, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

mdk
Veteran Member
Member # 2211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mdk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no, if they have 0 wis they just cant use spells

--------------------
First lvl 100 in RoT ^^
FoA Forums

Posts: 839 | From: hmm it would be easier if i knew that | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kanakin
unregistered

Hi there, i recently reformatted my computer and installed XP pro on it, and was a little disappointed to find that i couldnt play WoS after redownloading it. I can get the list of public MIX servers fine, but after connecting to a server and loading the map as soon as i enter the well it says that i've lost my network connection and there are no players in the list. I went to check the network settings, cranked the baud rate up because i am running a PPPOE ADSL connection to see if that would help, but it didn't change anything. Not sure what to do about a com port tho, i know i used to have to set it to the com port of my modem, but i can't seem to find out the com port of my NIC (if it even has one, i dunno). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

---

Samsyn Says:

I was going to delete this, since the general subject is covered several times in this FAQ, but since you asked specifically about COM ports...

Your COM port setting should only be important if WoS is being asked to dial your modem. If you connect to the Internet, then WoS doesn't need to dial your modem (your internet connection software will do that for you), so your COM setting should be completely unimportant whenever using "public MIX servers"

Even less important when you aren't even using a modem.

More likely, your troubles stem from firewall issues (read this FAQ and http://www.synthetic-reality.com/wosSuperFAQ.htm)

Now, having said that, there are people who swear that changing their COM port setting made a difference. Personally I suspect they're crazy, but it wouldn't hurt to have it set correctly. You can use the windows Device Manager to see if you have a modem.

Looking at my own, I see that Windows XP makes it nigh onto impossible to make heads or tails of it. Like you, I don't actually USE a modem any more.

I have my com port set to: COM2

[ 07-30-2003, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Klarh
unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I try to run the installer,a window pops up that says this:
This file contains invalid data
What do I do?

-----
Samsyn copies from his form letters:

PROBLEM: "Invalid Data" after double-clicking a self-extracting installer file.

This usually means that something went wrong while downloading the file, and the solution is to download it again (yuck!) Whenever downloading a file a second time, save it to a different folder. Otherwise the computer might think it already has bits of the file and not actually fetch them.

Other possibilities:

* you have a virus which is attaching itself to the file before you get a chance to start extracting files from it.

* you have hardware problems with hard drive or memory (extremely rare)

* you have a macintosh (not as rare as you might think) and the program is for windows

* your copy of windows needs to be freshened via the WINDOWS UPDATE button on the start menu

* your ISP has 'cached' a bad copy of the file

* the program you are trying to install is already running (shut it down first)

* you used a 'download accelerator' while downloading the file (my web site does not support those), resulting in an incomplete transfer

[ 09-01-2003, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Dr. Death
unregistered

My question is:
If you are banned (like me) is there a chance to get back in hte Game(online)???
I am asking now my 3 time and i didnt got a really answere!!

I hope there is a chance because i love playing WoS online.
I am sorry for using t souls and now i understand
what WoS is about(commun ity, meet new ppl) and not showing how good u are!!
so please Dan let me knoW

Thx Nico

-----

Samsyn Says:

If you managed to actually get yourself banned (and I am not saying that YOU did, because I am too lazy to look it up), then you can assume that the game *wants* to keep you banned forever.

That is, after all, what the word 'banned' means. At that point you fulfill the role of 'cautionary tale' to help prevent others from ignoring warnings about sharing files, using hacks, stealing GSes, etc.

It is, after all, a free game and there is no need to steal to enjoy it. Hence, there is no planned forgiveness for any one who engages in larcenous acts.

Again, this response is to people in general, and not intended as a specific condemnation of YOU.

[ 10-03-2003, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Serpardum
Member # 4281

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serpardum   Email Serpardum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is my understanding that XP has a built in firewall that must be blocking your connection. Either open up the firewall or disable it.

I don't have XP so don't know how to do this, I just know that XP has it.

----------------------------------

Hi there, i recently reformatted my computer and installed XP pro on it, and was a little disappointed to find that i couldnt play WoS after redownloading it. I can get the list of public MIX servers fine, but after connecting to a server and loading the map as soon as i enter the well it says that i've lost my network connection and there are no players in the list. I went to check the network settings, cranked the baud rate up because i am running a PPPOE ADSL connection to see if that would help, but it didn't change anything. Not sure what to do about a com port tho, i know i used to have to set it to the com port of my modem, but i can't seem to find out the com port of my NIC (if it even has one, i dunno). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-------------
Samsyn Sez

For tips on using your XP Firewall, start with this link here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=308127

It's specifically about opening ports through the firewall, but it links to more general aspects of your firewall.

[ 10-16-2003, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.