Synthetic Reality Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Well of Souls » Well of Souls Public Beta » WOS FREQ. ASKED QUESTIONS (Ask Questions Here) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: WOS FREQ. ASKED QUESTIONS (Ask Questions Here)
Havok Da Juggalo
Veteran Member
Member # 4321

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Havok Da Juggalo   Author's Homepage   Email Havok Da Juggalo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey dan, when are you gonna put the soul armor quest back?
Are you even gonna put it back?

----

Samsyn Says:

Whachu talkin' 'bout, Willis? The only soul quest I *removed* was by accident (the "Piano Room Incident") and that was repaired a couple months ago :-)

However, there remain some soul items for which there have *never* been quests.

[ 10-16-2003, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
Dear God or Godlike figure, please make scottie better. Look around, YOU OWE ME! If he isn't better by tommorow, THE DEVILS' GOT A NEW ERRAND BOY!

Now your mind is broken and you feel pain. What you call sanity is what I call insane.-Mr. Bones

Posts: 815 | From: Shangri-la | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rykin
Healthy Member
Member # 734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rykin   Email Rykin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any possible way to rename your character? I would honestly do anything to change my characters name, including pay. I'd hate having to start a new character, but I probably will have to anyway.

----
Samsyn Says:

It's a little quirk of mine that I want the characters to develop reputations. If you could change your character's name then no one could really tell who was who.

Originaly I didn't let you change the skin, either, but I relented. [Smile]

Not much chance of my relenting on the name though. I think it's... important. Socially.

[ 10-16-2003, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

RayOfAsh
Member # 1101

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RayOfAsh   Author's Homepage   Email RayOfAsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you change your serial number? I whent through the registry and deleted all synthetic reality stuff, deleted the WoS folder, and the shortcuts. I am assuming thats all, but when i re-installed i still got the same error.

When you copy over WoS from another computer it is REALLY unforgiving huh?

---

Samsyn Says:

Yep. There are instructions on the proper way of doing this at http://www.synthetic-reality.com/wosSuperFAQ.htm It's tricky, but can be done. However the game only gives you one chance to do this right. Beyond that it assumes you are a hacker trying to hide your identity from past crimes. Or a hacker trying to assume the identity of someone else. The official solution at that point is to:

a.) make a new character

-or-

b.) spring for a golden soul (which is officially portable.)

Edit 2:

But thats keeping the same Soul ID, i want a new one so me and my bro can play over the IPX network. But the thing is i copy'ed the whole folder over to the computer thus keeping the same soul ID. I dont want to have to pay to get a new one and i dont want to format the computer.

Im sure there is a way, are you just not telling us to prevent hackers or something?

[ 11-27-2003, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: RayOfAsh ]

snowflake
unregistered

Icon 8 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Alright.. I just recently started up a Scavenger character. Why is it that, even though you start out with level 4 training in all of the "train hand" areas, I can't equip things that are level 0, or level 1, etc, etc, etc.. even when my character is at Level 10? I can equip armour, helmets, shoes, rings, and amulets just fine. But any weapons and it refuses to let me equip them. Why is that?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

------

Samsyn Says:

You need to have achieved level 5 in a HAND before you can equip weapons of that hand class. Originally I had it more like the Weapon Master talks about (although I think his speech is just vague enough to be not worth fixing... especially since he is the sort of character you might expect to be wrong about a couple things, anyway)

ANYWAY, so once upon a time, your hand training had to exceed the minLevel of the weapon. But that meant that any character could use level 0 weapons of any hand class, and, well, I wanted you to have to make a significant investment in hand classes beyond the ones your character was born with, before letting you switch weapons. Just to sort of enforce differences between the classes, and yet not mandate that you could NEVER use a 'foreign hand'

Anyway, that was my decision and I stand by it, even if I appear unable to justify it [Smile]

[ 12-03-2003, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

IP: Logged
Ariel
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Everytime I try to upgrade to A79 whenever it gets to 100% it says denied. What do I do?

----

Samsyn Says:

My site does not support Download Accelerators. They are evil, giving YOU the bandwidth which was intended to be SHARED with others. Hence on my site they are banned.

Turn it off and you will probably be OK.

[ 01-13-2004, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Shay
Member # 4712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shay   Author's Homepage   Email Shay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear all who read this:

I have been playing WoS for nearly a month now. However, about 2 weeks ago, something happened. Whenever I get on WoS, it works fine until I get into the game. When I incarnate, go somewhere else/buy items/sell items/etc. and then go to a well and leave, it doesn't save anything!

The game won't save for some reason anymore. I don't understand, I tried all sorts of ways to get it to work again. I tried creating a new character, but it doesn't save for them, I tried deleting the character that started the problem, but it doesn't save, so when I get back on it's still there, I tried re-downloading it again and it does the same thing, and I even tried to delete the whole game, which it WON'T let me do, either. It says it's "full write protected" or something like that.

If there is anyone here that can help me, I'd be really grateful. Just to let you know, the game was running fine before this happened. I also run a Dell with Windows XP. Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.

If anyone could tell me if there was a way to uninstall it, that'd be great! Thanks again.

-----

Samsyn Says:

Well... it sure SOUNDS like you have gotten your files all set to read-only, or even are trying to run the game off of a cd-rom or similar read-only device...

1.) Find out where the game is installed (look in the shortcut you use to launch the game and see where it says the game is. Default is "c:\WoS\souls.exe"

2.) Ask yourself: Is that my hard drive? (C:) or my cd-rom drive?

3.) Ask yourseld: How did I install WoS on this machine anyway? Did I download the installer and run it, or did I copy it to CD-R from another machine and then put that CD-R in the drive of my new machine and try to run it directly from there?

4.) Stop asking yourself questions and start removing the read-only status on all the files and/or folders of WoS. (right-click on a file to see its properties and make sure the read-only property is NOT set.)

But frankly, it sounds like your entire volume is read-only, which makes it sound like you are trying to run from CD-rom... which should never have worked....

NOTE: This turned out to be that the game had been installed by a different account on an XP machine, which made the folders read-only from the perspective of a non-admin account.

[ 01-28-2004, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Posts: 20 | From: None specified | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Disies Groto
unregistered

i have played WoS on and off for about 3 years... my problem is that it wont let me update to the newest version i have been able to upload to A78 but havent been able to update it to A79. i am not running this from a disk, have no firewalls, and dont use download acelerators. what should i do

-----

Samsyn Says:

1.) Run WoS, use HELP ABOUT and make sure it really says you have A78

2.) Get patchA79

3.) Make sure WoS and MIX are NOT running when you run the patch

4.) Look for error messages from the patch. (and include them in any subsequent reports)

But failing that... there is always the full installer. Just install on top of your current copy of the game and your saved characters should be fine.

[ 01-15-2004, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

RayOfAsh
Member # 1101

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RayOfAsh   Author's Homepage   Email RayOfAsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Samsyn Says:

Yep. There are instructions on the proper way of doing this at http://www.synthetic-reality.com/wosSuperFAQ.htm It's tricky, but can be done. However the game only gives you one chance to do this right. Beyond that it assumes you are a hacker trying to hide your identity from past crimes. Or a hacker trying to assume the identity of someone else. The official solution at that point is to:

a.) make a new character

-or-

b.) spring for a golden soul (which is officially portable.)"

But thats keeping the same Soul ID, i want a new one so me and my bro can play over the IPX network. But the thing is i copy'ed the whole folder over to the computer thus keeping the same soul ID. I dont want to have to pay to get a new one and i dont want to format the computer.

Im sure there is a way, are you just not telling us to prevent hackers or something?

----

Samsyn Repeats what he said before.... <insert repetition here> Reality has not changed in the intervening time period.

But yes, I would just as soon that people did NOT open this can of worms as only chaos could result. I suspect you will receive offers from helpful people explaining to you how to screw your PC up. I advise taking all advice with a grain of salt.

[ 01-28-2004, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

HeAd
Spammer
Member # 662

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeAd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, do people with bigger screens disadvantaged? Because if your screen is bigger, the characters stay the same size but they're further apart. So would people with smaller screens have an advantage because they can move across the screen at a faster rate than people with bigger screens? (But of course, people with bigger screens have bigger screens.. [Big Grin] )

----

Samsyn Says:

No, if anything the larger screen gives you an advantage since it is easier to click on an individual player (a crowd is less bunched together). All game movement is computed based on a virtual resolution of 100 units. A single unit then means more pixels on a big screen than a small one, but things move the same number of UNITs per second (not pixels per second)

A larger screen is a disadvantage only if your computer is having trouble keeping up. Bigger screen means more pixels to be moved.

[ 02-09-2004, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
I drew the cute little pig in my avatar.
You don't have a cute little pig in your avatar. I win!

Posts: 10782 | From: Spammely Hills | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
David Worley
Member # 4735

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for David Worley   Email David Worley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How come when I go to install the patch A80 for WoS it sais >>>>"Souls.exe: error - cannot replace, denied access"<<<<. Ive downloaded the Full Installer and in stalled it andeven DOWNLOADED the patch but it still won't let me INSTALL it, bevcuase of the error. What does that mean? What should I do? [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Confused] [Mad]

------

Samsyn Says:

1.) Be sure to shut down WoS, MIX and any other synthetic reality program before trying to run the patch. Can't patch a running program.

2.) check if souls.exe has gotten set to read-only somehow... open the folder c:\WoS (or wherver you installed the game.) Then RIGHT-click on 'souls.exe' and make sure the read-only check box is NOT checked.

3.) If you're using Windows XP, perhaps the game was originally installed under a different (or admin) account and your current account doesn't have the privilege to delete it.

[ 02-25-2004, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Otava
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
How can you delete your guild nowadays? There's no "delete this guild" button anymore.

Right... Propably should have posted to Guilds and Tournaments forum.

-----

Samsyn Says:

If you are logged on as the guildmeister and use WoS to directly visit the guild page, you will have a delete button.

[ 06-16-2004, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Markiller007
Veteran Member
Member # 1825

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Markiller007   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an unusual problem with monster AI comands 'Argument 20', I want to have a series of spells ONLY summonable by a specific monster/s.

here is a sample of the relevent spells and monsters: -

-----------
monster.txt
-----------
210,"1/32 Glob", josh2, -8.6.23,6, 10, 2, 0, 0, 2, 0, 1, 0, 0, 40, 1, 1, growl5.wav, pain4.wav, -1, "use #250,251"

211,"1/16 Glob", josh2, -7.6.23,6, 20, 4, 0, 0, 5, 0, 2, 0, 0, 50, 5, 1, growl5.wav, pain4.wav, -1, "use #252,253,254"

----------
Spells.txt
----------
;level 1(1/32 Glob)
250, "Hyper Divide", -1, 6, -203.210, 1, 0.2, 11101, 85, 11, 80, 100, 0.9, 0, Chant1.wav, fire2.wav, petcall.wav,
251, "Growth divide",-1, 6, -203.211, 2, 0.2, 11101, 85, 11, 80, 100, 0.9, 0, Chant1.wav, fire2.wav, petcall.wav,
;level 2(1/16 Glob)
252, "Divide", -1, 6, -203.210, 1, 0.2, 11101, 85, 11, 80, 100, 0.9, 0, Chant1.wav, fire2.wav, petcall.wav,
253, "Hyper divide", -1, 6, -203.211, 2, 0.2, 11101, 85, 11, 80, 100, 0.9, 0, Chant1.wav, fire2.wav, petcall.wav,
254, "Growth divide",-1, 6, -203.212, 4, 0.2, 11101, 85, 11, 80, 100, 0.9, 0, Chant1.wav, fire2.wav, petcall.wav,

Heres the problem:

I was originally using chaos elements 11-25 for my 15 flavours of 'glob' and have the spells the relevent chaos element. This limmited the spells to being use by only the monster I chose just fine, however magic users have great dificulty against these globs, as thier spells allow them to devide, and overun a magic user who does a feble amount of damage to them.

The new monster AI argument 20 has allowed me to resolve this, I could have a monster the element of my choice, and still limmit it to only the 'devide' spells I chose. Therein lies the problem however: by having the spells and monsters element 6, spirit, any monster capable or using spirit spells can summon globs!

Ive tried setting the 'monsters csnnot use this spell' flag, however even with the AI comand set, the globs no longer cast the seplls at all due to the flag.

Is there any current solution, or could one be added in the near future?

Ohhh I just had an Idea as I was typing that. If I set the spells to a chaos element, will my monster still be able to cast them if I set it in thier Agument 20?

-----

Samsyn Says:

Probably really should ask this in the world developer forum, but at this time arg20 does not let you use spells the monster doesn't know... I mean.. you can have arg20 say to use spell 55, but if your monster doesn't KNOW spell 55, it won't cast it.

Using specific chaos elements is the preferred way to link specific spells to specific monsters, but I am not sure I understood about your "divide" problems.

[ 06-19-2004, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
The land of summoners awaits, summon any monster and free the people today.
the_summoner Home page

Posts: 553 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nightcat the Otaku
Member # 5285

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcat the Otaku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I were to donate the requisite $25 to get me a Golden Soul (which, BTW, I am considering), what exactly — in terms of accounts and characters — would it affect? For instance, would all of my characters be Golden Souls, or just one? Also, would I be able to use the Activation Code on more than one computer, assuming that the first had its copy deleted (i.e. me changing computers)?

----------

Samsyn Says:

You enter the Golden Soul activation code into a single computer (it is a single computer license) and then any characters played on that computer would be 'golden'

You should not enter the code on more than one computer at a time (it's ok to move it forward to your new computer, of course).

Two computers with the same code will not be able to play together on the same server.

There is no way to remove a code, once entered, short of getting a new code. (so don't enter a code you got 'from a friend' or you may find you have banished yourself from the game until you get a code of your own.)

[ 06-16-2004, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
"There is no idea so good it can't be ruined by a few well-placed idiots." - Scott Adams,
creator of "Dilbert"

"He hath been at a great feast of languages and stolen the scraps." - William Shakespeare

Posts: 3 | From: Tír na nÓg | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hesacon   Author's Homepage   Email Hesacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Q: How did you come up with the magic word 'Shambola?'

----

Samsyn Says:

Oh sure, be a 'spoiler'! Seriously, I dunno, let's ask Google.

Seems to be someone's online namd, and the name of a Russian nightclub.. It's the currency of the nation of Jumamabad...

But more than anything else, I think it must be this:

http://zverolovlev.narod.ru/i834_e.htm

Well... or this:

http://www.mas.it/italiano/produzioni/shambola.html

[ 06-24-2004, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
SoV: Exalted Devout Oracle | World Developer | The Black Guard
Outside is just a prank older kids tell younger kids at Internet Camp

Posts: 9535 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nightcat the Otaku
Member # 5285

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcat the Otaku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another Question: I just got a new HD (120GB as opposed to my current 15 and 12.1), and I was planning on transferring (via Norton Ghost 2003) all of the data from the 15 - which is rather full, thanks to Unreal Tournament 2004 (10.6GB with my downloads) - to the 120, the data from the 12 to the 15, and getting rid of the 12 (which has WoS on it, presenting me with a problem). The difficulty is, if I transfer the data from the 12 to the 15 (or maybe the 120), will it screw up all of my users? I mean, I know I couuld just go and buy a GS, but I would rather do that later...

--------------------
"There is no idea so good it can't be ruined by a few well-placed idiots." - Scott Adams,
creator of "Dilbert"

"He hath been at a great feast of languages and stolen the scraps." - William Shakespeare

Posts: 3 | From: Tír na nÓg | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well.... this has more to do with "which is your c drive, and will you re-install windows" than WoS itself.

check out http://www.synthetic-reality.com/wosSuperFAQ.htm and ask yourself if you need to keep your current soul ID.

If not, then any path will work (and you will need to make ne characters).

If so, then there is a special dance you will need to do after making your new C drive and before running WoS for the first time.

You can COPY wos at any time, but do not RUN wos until your C drive is set up and you have carefully read the super faq.

--------------------
He knows when you are sleeping.

Posts: 11017 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
Mysterious One
Veteran Member
Member # 5161

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mysterious One         Edit/Delete Post 
Say there was a character named Turtle Man, and I wanted only that character to be able to get certain abilities because he was in special favour with me, would this code work?

code:
STRCMP "Turtle Man", "%1"
IF=, @specialbonus

I'm trying to get it so if the Scene Host's name was Turtle Man, it would jump to a special label. Perhaps %1 only works for Chat.

----

Samsyn Says:

That *might* work, but I suggest you look at the stock cookies... I believe you will find a couple like this:

#<str.hostName>
#<num.hostSerNum>

(I am a little lazy right now and am typing those from memory)

The point being you should really check both sernum and name, since anyone could create a turtle man character..

----

Thanks Dan, turns out it DID work, but Turtle Man was just a random example, used to protect the identity of those who are REALLY going to get the bonuses.

[ 07-25-2004, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: Mysterious One ]

--------------------
Staring at a brick wall is like watching paint dry, only even more boring.

Posts: 549 | From: the depths of time | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mysterious One
Veteran Member
Member # 5161

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mysterious One         Edit/Delete Post 
New problem:

code:
 #include banished.txt

@scene
etc.

in banished.txt:
code:
 N: You are being closely scrutinised.
IF M0, @banish
IF M2, @banish
GOTO @scene
END

@banish
N: HAHAHAHAHAHA!!
N: YOU ARE NOW GOING TO THE MOST HELLISH REGION OF UNDERWORLD!!!!!
N: PLEAD WITH MYSTERIOUS ONE!!! ONLY HIM AND DAN CAN SAVE YOU NOW!!!
GOTO LINK 9, 0, 0
END
END

The problem is that it keeps going to the banishing scene instead of continuing with the rest of the scene like it's supposed to. the result is that the latest, unpublished versions of Underworld are completely screwed. Help me!

---
Samsyn Guesses:

Perhaps you are missing your blank line at the end of banished.txt?

This results in the computer seeing:

END@scene

instead of

END
@scene

Which can make all the difference.

On a side note, you could do both your M checks in one line with something like this:

IF -M0-M2, @scene
; do the banish stuff
END

This would let you get rid of the @banish label, since it is generally problematic to have labels inside of #included snippets (if you ever include the same snippet multiple times in the same scene... which in this case is probably not an issue)

Most people are familiar with the form:

IF <condition1>+<condition2> @label

meaning to go to the label if both conditions are true, but using a minus sign inverts the sense of the individual tests (note, this does NOT give you a logical 'or', you will still only go to the label when all conditions are met.

You can mix and match like this

IF -<cond1>+<cond2>+<cond3>-<cond4> @label

that will go to the label only if: don1 is FALSE and cond2 is TRUE and cond3 is TRUE and cond4 is FALSE

Boolean logic tells us that A or B is the same as not( (not A) and (not B) )

We don't have any way of adding a 'leading not' so to speak, so there is no straight forward way to do an OR and use the actual label you want to go to. To get that 'leading not' you have to do it by using some form of anti-label

as in

IF -A-B, @antiLabel
; A 'or' B was true
END

@antiLabel
; A 'or' B was false (notA 'and' notB was true)
END

============
Also, whenever the question is "Why is my script doing that?" you should use 'stepper' to walk through your script and see why it made each decision.

Just type:

/stepper 203

(where 203 is your scene number). It will then show you both the text of your scene (and that AFTER embedding the #includes, so you can see if you have the missing blank line problem) and the values of any cookies encountered while executing the script.

Then step through one line at a time until you get to the spot where you think it should have gone to a particular label, step through it and look at the cookies to see if it made the right decision.

-----

Thanks Dan.
-----

Oh no it still dosen't work it keeps igoring the @scene command what do I do?

[ 07-27-2004, 04:49 AM: Message edited by: Mysterious One ]

--------------------
Staring at a brick wall is like watching paint dry, only even more boring.

Posts: 549 | From: the depths of time | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hesacon   Author's Homepage   Email Hesacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I didn't believe what anyone told me until tonight. Is it true that if a character is unused for a long period of time and is from an older patch, they fail more? It seems people think it does and from my characters performance at the SoV tourny tonight I'm not quite sure.

quote:
With magic ratio 70%, casting Grease, element Nature (training 9.957) should succeed 93%.. actually succeeded 93040 out of 100000 tries. (93%)
And seemed to fail about 2/5-half the "debuff" spells in the element nature.

---------

Samsyn Says:

Inactive characters do not fail more. Decisions based on Random numbers require a large number of samples to average out. You can toss a coin and get heads nine times in a row.

[ 09-25-2004, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

Taint
Healthy Member
Member # 4565

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Taint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a strange, obscure idea for that.

When it says worked [blank] out of 100,000 times, does the work/fail actually go by that same road? That is to say, when a character seems to be doing great in not failing, will the engine always compensate for that via a 'failing streak' so that in the end, if you counted the results from 100,000 spell tries, that it actually showed something close to the estimated results? In other words, some big, gigantic calculating "equilibrium-keeper".

Yes, long-winded and probably ignorant, but that was my little theory. Of course, my characters always fail a lot or keep to the estimated ratio of that charcter class (usually around 3/5 or so).

Or, most likely, a few people have extraordinary luck of the draw on that, and the rest are under the shadow of the fail curse.

----

Samsyn Says:

There is no manual compensation. The random elements are as random as modern computers can achieve, given that they are actually only 'pseudo' random.

I believe most of the newer processor chips include hardware for more purely random numbers... some sort of thermal noise or rf receivers listening to the brownian motion of the universe and providing a random bit (0 or 1) on demand. NOt sure how affected that is by your environment though... on a hot day maybe it always says '1' :-)

[ 09-25-2004, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Mad
Verbose Member
Member # 5460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad   Author's Homepage   Email Mad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What makes the disease spells fail?

Is that only based on the lvl of your char and the lvl of your oponnent (ex : a lvl 80 mage has 50% chance to confuse a lvl 90 monster, 75% to confuse a lvl 80 monster etc) or is that based on the magic ratio and the skill level of the char as well (=higher are they, more chance you have to disease a monster)?

---

Samsyn Says:

Spell fails, misses, and fizzles are three different things with three different rules. Healing spells are different from all other spells. charm/tame spells have special logic. I hate to try saying anything more definitive than that.

[ 11-07-2004, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
athelias.biz - Forums - Worlds' List

Posts: 1812 | From: Moe's | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Shib
Member # 5692

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shib   Email Shib   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I formated my pc
and i want to use my old characters but i don't have a gs. is there a way without being turned into a modder?

----

Samsyn Says:

If you had the foresight to back up a copy of your WoS/Save folder (the whole save folder) before you formatted you drive, then see http://www.synthetic-reality.com/wosSuperFAQ.htm for the detailed instructions you must follow exactly.

Otherwise, no.

[ 11-07-2004, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
Taktitshu 4 life.

Posts: 28 | From: Queensland | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hugnam
Member # 5316

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hugnam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. I'm wondering.....how does the Avoid Modified Quest Files work? would it only make the characther a permanent modder on the world it was turned off at, or will it ake the whole soul id's characthers become a modder?

----

Samsyn Says: "huh?"

Upon further reflection, he adds. The purpose of the 'avoid modified quest files' feature is to protect your character from being damaged by an unofficial version (say someone cloned a world and then set it up to take all your money, or morph you into an unappealing class).

And yet, as a world developer, you certainly need to be able to access 'modified worlds' so there is an option to allow you to do so.

But to keep proper track of which characters have only lived in un-modified worlds, any character which *does* visit a modified world, gets marked as a 'modder' (which sort of implies they did the mod to the world, which is not accurate)

So, it is the individual character which gets marked, not every character on your PC.

[ 01-04-2005, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Posts: 87 | From: *sighs* noone even would care... | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
xXx-DS-xXx
unregistered

I need help...What do I do to make a server...but I have a firewall...[I know how to amke servers but not with a firewall]. How do I work my firewall to allow the server to connect to MIX Main Server".

[Confused]

-----
Samsyn Says: Well, as soon as you said "my firewall" you were doomed to an answer along the lines of "please read the documentation which came with your firewall, or look on google for same."

Please check out the TroubleShooter (link at top of this forum) for hints on *what* you might need to do, though probably no help on *how* to do it with your particular (un-named) firewall.

[ 04-10-2005, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

raganzei
Member # 6079

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for raganzei   Email raganzei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I posted in the wrong area before. My question though was:

Is it possible for a scavenger to get the Stun spell since the Professor J quest requires 1000 gold to complete?

----
Samsyn Says: Let's just say the answer is "No" The scavenger class is intended to be difficult to level. Which is why, of course, it is to popular to use trainers to insta-level it. Thereby gaining advantage of its greater hand and magic ratios without actually having to work for it. Destroying the whole point of having the class in the first place, and likely leading to a ban from the game when you are caught using a hacked scav.

Unless you don't get caught (and realistically you probably have more than a 50% chance of getting away with it.)

[ 04-10-2005, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Q: How much exp does it take to get from level 1 to level 100?

A: I didn't know the answer, so I just crunched the numbers to find out the number is 12626843. So if someone was leveling illegitly(i.e. killing revenges at level 14...), it would take 211 kills to get to 100.

--------------------

Mad
Verbose Member
Member # 5460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad   Author's Homepage   Email Mad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I noticed as a PK character you cannot use the Rez spell unless in an arena. Does it prevent your life leech from using it too?
Any world dev can eventually use map flags, to set some local rules. "No rez from PKers" is a map flag. You could have PKers rezzing out of an arena or unabble to do it in an arena - but Samsyn chose it would be like this in EG. Pets can rez on those maps, as non-pkers can.

quote:
A scavenger cannot receive gifts, but if a seed was given to them in battle, would it reject it or would it automatically increase the given stat? Also, do seeds increase pet stats too?
Yes scavs find items in battle, and they can use them as any class, so they can use seeds. If they find a seed it will just appear in their inventory as for any other class. Concerning pets, remember that in EG seeds are "personnal use only" : you can't toss them. However, even if you could do that, that wouldn't increase their stats. The rules are different when you use an item, toss it to a player, or toss it to a monster/pet. Used on a monster or pet, WoS will not check the "special" effets of the item (seed, antidote, etc) but just the amount of HP-MP given. If there is no restore effect, then nothing will happen.

quote:
Ok and a third question... is there a "best" pet or one that casts stun often?
All the pets use the same algrithm at the moment (and I hope it will change ----> World devs begging topic.. errrr... WoS Beta that is) so their stats would be the same ones. In EG, monsters strike harder with hand than magic so if you don't have a GS and therefore can't tell your pet what to do I suggest you to use pets with no wisdom. If you have a GS it's different. Some monsters can only cast spells of their own element, some can cast any spell (but life spells : only life monsters can) so it depends on what you want... And concerning monsters that cast a spell often etc., world devs can only do that with the monsters AI, and last time I checked it as not used in EG so you can forget it...

[ 05-30-2005, 06:31 AM: Message edited by: Mad ]

Posts: 1812 | From: Moe's | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
quote:
#1) I need any info on Age limit(overall age)..anything. Last time my soul got refreshed at age 200Hr..all chars deleted and 0Hr Age. Why?
There are no hour limits on characters or accounts. If that happens again to you, you may want to consider reinstalling and/or running various virus scans.

--------------------

Diabloish
Healthy Member
Member # 3618

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diabloish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question to Dan,

I'm not sure this has been asked before, so if it has my bad.

Just thinking how with most RPGS you have to make a choice with assigning your stat points, so that different assignments would give you a different out come on your character.
Now with this, it means you need to think and plan how you’re going to set your character out. It could turn out a poor character or a powerful "leet" character build"
Now my question is, why did you put in a means to max out the characters(seeds) instead of leaving it so it matter where you placed your stat points?

Diabloish

----

Samsyn Says: the whining players forced me to! But in YOUR world, you could leave out rhe seeds.

[ 07-06-2005, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
"Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you judge them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
--------------------

Posts: 314 | From: Tasmania, Australia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Q: I just recently learned how to use the control prompt program to ping/recieve the IP address for websites, is it possible to use this on an MIX server in order to retrieve the IP address for telnet? (This should probably go in MIX, but then people might read it and get the wrong idea...)

---

samsyn says: no, you have to already know the ip address in order to ping. (or the hostname, but MIX servers are not registered in DNS).

Eventually I will probably have to pull TELNET support since it is only used these days by people trying to defeat server bans.

[ 07-06-2005, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

skNaruto
Healthy Member
Member # 4771

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for skNaruto   Author's Homepage   Email skNaruto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I havn't *seen* this question yet and I looked through all the other questions on this thread so here I go....

I just redownloaded wos on my new comp and I put in my soul activation code. I then incarnated with an old char and everything is going fine. I log off and go back on later only to find that when I try to go on with that char again it says that "Time travle isn't accepted if you continue you will be marked a modder ect ect...." help meh please.

---

Samsyn Says: Hackers have made WoS very anal about time. WoS demands that your computer clock be set to the correct date and only move forward in time. Heaven help the player who creates a character when their computer's calendar is not correctly set (I mean within a week or so of correct, it's not THAT anal). Such characters will eventually become unplayable.

[ 07-06-2005, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Posts: 454 | From: my house | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
quote:
Eventually I will probably have to pull TELNET support since it is only used these days by people trying to defeat server bans.
Its also used when a person can't fetch the server list, though.

--------------------

Army1010
unregistered

Is there a limit to how many skins you could fetch within a period of time or something? Usally I receive lots of skins from people when I first log on, however as time goes by it doesn't allow me to fetch anymore skins till after a hour or so.

---

Samsyn Says:

There are some memory structures created (see the HELP menu 'lag-o-meter') to track the download of skins, and there are a limited number of these slots. If you start a download but it does not finish, it still holds on to the slot. Eventually you run out.

This is most likely to happen when people enter, then leave when you are only halfway done with the download. If you ever see them again, the download will resume where it left off.

Restarting WoS starts you with empty slots.

[ 09-04-2005, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Reason
Member # 6510

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reason   Email Reason   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Q:i have this problem i have a88 by luck everytime i go to the download section i just see a86 installer and patch not a89 can u tell me how to solve the problem

------

Samsyn Says:

Assuming you are visiting the correct page, it sounds like your ISP is "caching the page." This is often done by small office lans with a narrow pipe to the internet, where caching the page locally is a convenience to the users not having to wait for it to load (and the one cache is share by all users on the network) and by very large networks like AOL where they just have to move so many pages a day they can't be bothered to really keep up to date.

But since A86 is MONTHS OLD, you are in a very bad situation. Maybe you have somehow told your browser to cache pages forever? Anyway, if you are using IE, try holding down the SHIFT key when you press the RELOAD button.

If that doesn't work, you can get the full installer using that A86 link, since the url hasn't actually changed. Unless that file is also cached, I guess...

[ 10-12-2005, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Coops
Member # 6601

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Coops   Email Coops   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy. Seem to be getting a problem with the Uniform box when attempting to pick a guild uniform, as you do. Either way, I've asked around a bit and havn't stumbled upon anything majorly solid. Briefly glanced the FAQ, so hound me if it's already been said. Error appears something like, "Something went horribly wrong fetching your uniforms..." So far some people have told me it could be a lag problem of some sort? Either way, some advice would be greatly appreciated. Later guys.

::Edit::

It has just come to mind something else concearning this subject. It would appear that the "information" between my characters, is not being passed onto the WoS server. Last time it caught my eye that my character was sitting on the "inactive" list of the Guilds page. This was when I was still wearing the uniform. Since I put the guild uniform on the first time, nothing about my computer has change, and it all happened in patch a89. I've tried shutting down the firewall and such, so I'm baffled.

-----

Samsyn Says:

While there could also be firewall issues, web proxies and the like, standing between you and the guild system, the phrase "something went horribly wrong" means it was unable to fetch your uniform list.

One common problem is that the c:\wos\temp folder has either gotten some of its contents set to read-only (bad), or is in a directory to which your windows logon lacks write-privileges.

Once you get past that, and actually get a list of uniforms and put one on, you are still not actually credited with having warn the uniform immediately. I believe the status is sent automatically periodically, but it's possible I only send updates when you return to the well or otherwise shut down your character. In any case, you need to log at least 20 minutes in a single logon session with that character or nothing will be sent at all.

[ 10-17-2005, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I need someone who'll laugh at all my jokes. You know, honest feedback!

Posts: 27 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Coops
Member # 6601

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coops   Email Coops   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that it does take some time for it to register the information, but I'm not talking doing all this in a span of ten minutes. It was over the space of a week that I noticed I was inactive on the guild page, and when I took the uniform off with the intentions of putting it straight back on, then I got that message.

----

Samsyn Says:

So this is consistent with a web proxy scenario. To test that out, use the "Check on line for new worlds" option. Do you see a list of worlds? If not, then you are using some sort of proxy/firewall and should check out http://www.synthetic-reality.com/troubleShooter.htm

(This is *also* consistent with the 'my files got marked read only, and/or windows XP says I am not an admin user!')

[ 10-17-2005, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
I need someone who'll laugh at all my jokes. You know, honest feedback!

Posts: 27 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gilead
Healthy Member
Member # 4563

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilead   Email Gilead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Wos is being an anal prick, please help. Here's what happened:
I'm playing WoS one day, turn it off for a second to restart my computer. When I turn it back on, I find that my GS has gone -poof- and my hours are resetted from 470 something to 20. Exactly 20. And not only that, but when I went to put my GS back on and continue my game play, it wouldn't let me! And it's not that the GS code doesn't work, I tried the same one on Arcadia and it worked. The weird part about it is that it's not saying that the GS isn't working, I just go to put it in and it doesn't say it's wrong, BUT, it doesn't say it's right either. I put it in and it goes to the screen with the different options (the one before it asks how you want to connect to a server or play by yourself) and never records whetehr I put the GS in or not. I even reinstalled TWICE, once to the same directory, once again to a different directory. Does this mean my GS is banned? It's 1938.

----

Samsyn Says:

Your hours went from 397:58 to 20, on Nov 15th. This means your hours file got corrupted. Usually this is a result of tampering or disk failure.

Looking back, I don't see you using hacked clients, so therefore I consider you unlikely to be a file tamperer [Smile]

But try the following:

1.) reboot your computer (you never know what might be holding on to a file)

2.) check your c:\WoS folder and make sure you haven't gotten any of the files marked 'read-only'

3.) Ask yourself if anyone has used the Windows Restore feature on your computer. It sucks.

4.) Ask Yourself if you are playing using the same Windows User as installed the game, and if your Windows User is an 'admin' in the windows sense.

5.) Reboot your computer again to make sure you don't have more than one copy of WoS running at the same time.

[ 11-19-2005, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Posts: 460 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
jcthewhizkid
unregistered

Icon 11 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I have been playing wos. i made my character "da best pker". the next day i tryed to download this world arieal or sumthing like dat. its the last world under "check on-line for new worlds" ever since then when i try to go on mix server worlds if i play i will be marked as a modder because it says i have a different soul id. which i have never changed computers or nothing. Do u know why or how to fix it?

-----

Samsyn Says: It is spelled "that" [Smile]

[ 07-13-2006, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

DanteXx
unregistered

ive been playin well of souls for a long time now and i still cant get onto multiplayer and ive tried eevrything and it still wont work for me PLZ figure out wats wrong it keeps sayin serching for mix servers and motin appears but when my freind does it it comes up auto maticaly

---

Samsyn Says:

I refer you to the troubleShooter at http://www.synthetic-reality.com/troubleShooter.htm and hope you can determine your firewall/router/proxy problem.

[ 07-13-2006, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

AnotherRPaccount
Compulsive Member
Member # 6125

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnotherRPaccount     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uncky Dan says, check to see if you have a firewall up or if you have been using illegal hack clients and or memory editors to the characters you use. If you have a firewall up, there may be a HUGE POSSIBILITY that it will not let you connect to the mix. HAHAHA IM DUMB! AKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKA
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.