Synthetic Reality Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Well of Souls » Well of Souls Public Beta » WOS FREQ. ASKED QUESTIONS (Ask Questions Here) (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: WOS FREQ. ASKED QUESTIONS (Ask Questions Here)
Vicrry
Member # 6339

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicrry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiosty, is there a reason to have more than one hand skill trained? I've got one to 9 already and I can't think of a excuse to start another one.
Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hesacon   Author's Homepage   Email Hesacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It allows you to use other weapons than your main one. In evergreen there isn't much value to this, but other worlds have different weapons.

--------------------
SoV: Exalted Devout Oracle | World Developer | The Black Guard
Outside is just a prank older kids tell younger kids at Internet Camp

Posts: 9535 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Vicrry
Member # 6339

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicrry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've spent the last few days training my pet, and it's gotten almost to my level. It's 50 and I'm 51, but it won't level again and it sits there with 0 xp TNL. Now for the questions: Are pets intended to stay a level behind their owners? Is it losing the xp it would normally gain because I powerleveled it? Finally, if it's supposed to stay a level down, does it drop back to 98 when I'm 100, it's 99, and then I lose 100.

P.S. I'm still playing Evergreen, if any of this is world specific.

----

Samsyn Says:

Yes, pets are not allowed to level above or equal to you. I believe I handle the case where you drop from 100 to 99 (possibly by not allowing a level 100 pet [Smile] )

[ 07-13-2006, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hesacon   Author's Homepage   Email Hesacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why does snurt in SmuGGlurz COvE in evergreen tell me he is making a guild called "Kick@ZZ Shiznits" if that name is too long to use for a guild uni! [It's not fair [Frown] ]

--------

Samsyn wonders if you are seriously missing the intended irony.

It is a *stupid* guild name, and one only a snert would think to choose [Smile]

[ 07-13-2006, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

Chrysolarus
Member # 6723

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chrysolarus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A level 100 char killed (and becoming level 99) is no longer able to call his level 99 pets until he relevels.
So true, and SUCH a pain when you get all your pets to lvl 99 and then make one bad move against say, aan elemental at some well, or some demon in a desert dungeon (or you just get plain OHK'd by that demon) and even when someone rez's ya, your pets sit there in the pen and laugh at you... [Mad]

----

Samsyn Says:

Well, OK, so I didn't remember it correctly. I still approve of my design decision. A level 100er should not be dying! It's a disgrace! Yout pets deserve to be ashamed of you in the mean time.

[ 07-13-2006, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
Welcome, my son, Welcome to the Machine. Athelias O.D.A. Forums

Posts: 11 | From: NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mad
Verbose Member
Member # 5460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad   Author's Homepage   Email Mad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Im currently having server problems.. My computer is not showing me any servers. Am i banned? or is my computer fooled up(once again). I never done anything to get banned. I made a guild. Thats about it. Can someone help me?
Did it happen just after you patched WoS? Windows firewall may have blocked it then. Just delete WoS and MIX from the list of the exceptions. Next time you'll run WoS, it will ask again if you want to authorize it. Click yes and you'll be ok.

quote:
Is there a new update in A91 that might mute you?

Being muted is one of the rewards for having ran a program forbidden in the TOS (hacking stuff I mean). I'm notaccusiong you of anything: I'm just telling you how it is.

quote:
Ibought a Golden Soul, and I was wondering about how long it would take to arrive. I want my name in GOLD!

Patience! That's usually pretty quick [Wink]

--------------------
athelias.biz - Forums - Worlds' List

Posts: 1812 | From: Moe's | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mattybee
Member # 6931

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattybee   Email Mattybee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I've opened up port 8000 and port 8001 in an effort to try and let skins through. It hasn't worked.

I have no firewall up, the ports are opened, and it just... doesn't do anything. Is there any sort of log I can access to check what it's been doing? Because I'd like some @#%&ing SKINS.

----

Samsyn Says:

In the Help Menu is the Lag-o-matic which is chock full of chew skin fetching deliciousness.

[ 07-13-2006, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flamelord   Author's Homepage   Email Flamelord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most players have turned off the sending of skins from their computer. You'll just have to wait until someone comes along that does want to share skins and can pass them through their connection. Often, routers will stop skin xfers, though I'm not sure why.

--------------------
Constantinople! We shall never forget your zany barge poles!

Posts: 4232 | From: Gresham, OR | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
There are dozens of skin sites that you can download skins from. Just put skins in the WoS\Skins folder.

For example:

http://www.geocities.com/Fox_X_Skinners/

--------------------

O.G.
Compulsive Member
Member # 5304

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for O.G.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been looking throught the cheat list (yes, I'm a naughty boy) and found a code I wasn't looking for but may be useful but didn't find the one I was looking for [Frown]

The one I found is /pwd, which is supposed to tell you the directory in which WoS is located. This may help new players when they have problems like when they change the directory and then WoS won't work correctly.

The other one is supposed to write a lot about hits between classes.
I can't remember exavtly what it said, but I think it could help me a bit...

--------------------
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom"
O.G.

Posts: 4510 | From: Why would you want to know that? | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
O.G.
Compulsive Member
Member # 5304

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for O.G.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why no one answers the questions here [Frown]

I know this is kinda random, but why is that the Black Wrath will give you (on average) less GP than the Giant Troll which gives less GP than the giant Goblin and the Revenge? [Confused]

------

Samsyn Says:

Because that is not THE Black Wrath. It is nothing! A mere spit hole of a monster, a pale shadow of the black wrath that is to be! (but is not yet)

[ 07-17-2007, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom"
O.G.

Posts: 4510 | From: Why would you want to know that? | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
jcdn
Member # 7143

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcdn   Email jcdn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1.I'm having a connection problem. I don't use Windows Firewall, but I disabled what I do use entirely. I also set DMZ on my router (Linksys) for my internal IP. At that point I have absolutely no protection.

I still get stuck at the area where it says "Contacting mixmaster..." etc. and can't get any MIX servers to show up.

2. Also, do you have a preferred way of donating for those who do not use PayPal? I played this game... four years ago?... and I think it's worth donating to even if I don't ever get to play again.

---------

Samsyn Says:

Your description in your other post mentioned "last known mixmaster server". This means the game failed to fetch files from a web site. (You could confirm this by trying 'check on line for new worlds' and noticing you get an empty list for that as well)

This is usually because your computer is behind a web proxy who is the only way to make http port 80 requests, and you have to tell WoS where it is. See http://www.synthetic-reality.com/troubleShooter.htm

Another possible cause would be if your Windows account did not have permission to write files to the c:\ directory, which embarassingly enough WoS does on occasion. Not a LOT.

I already forgot the other question in detail but: thanks for thinking of me! no donation is required in order to play WoS. If you DO feel like donating, the only means possible are listed on http://www.synthetic-reality.com/donate.htm And thanks again!

---------

I say:

Nope, no proxy here. I guess I should note that I am getting the new worlds list instantly when I click on the appropriate button.

That second one may pertain to me, as I don't have any C:\ drive whatsoever. My Windows install is on what's labelled as the H:\ drive. WoS is on the I:\. Think that might be the problem?

Right, I'll donate sometime soon.

---------

Fixed... If at all possible, keep the program in its own folder in future releases. If that isn't possible, I must say that not everyone has Windows on the C drive. Some people don't have any C drive at all.

Consider getting myNumbers, SynReal, and SynReal2 to all write somewhere in the WoS folder?

[ 07-14-2006, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: jcdn ]

Maghnus
Healthy Member
Member # 6517

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maghnus   Author's Homepage   Email Maghnus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The other one is supposed to write a lot about hits between classes.
The only command I know of that shows battle statistics between classes is /battle.

Be prepared to be flooded though, as this will generate a comparison of two characters of two different classes for every non-repeating combination (for instance "Hand-user vs Magic-user" and "Magic-user vs Hand-User" are repetetive). Anyway, it's use is for balancing classes, and I'm not sure it even works outside the editor. I've never bothered to try.

Note for Dan: By the way, I still want a /doldrum that works between worlds, especailly those with alterations to monster 0, though that's not /doldrum's only quirk. It takes a good half hour to prepare a doldrum for a new world. [Razz]

----

Samsyn Says:

Man, I don't even REMEMBER /doldrum, are you pulling my leg?

[ 07-15-2006, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
Who is Hotaru Tomoe?

Posts: 188 | From: Stratosphere | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ichiro Yamato
Member # 7202

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ichiro Yamato   Email Ichiro Yamato   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 2 questions.
1. My little brother and I used TELNET to connect to each other to play WoS. When I try to party with him, it says "Modified Quest File Detected." I'm wondering of the possible reasons why this could have appeared.
He never modded with his WoS, he has Avoid Modified Quest Files checked, and had just created a character (lv.1). I have never modded either, and have all the appropriate mod-avoiding options selected.
(If needed for reference, we were playing Skavens_Plague, but the same problem had occured in RoT and Athelias.)
And also, the last time we've TELNET connected was version A90, and the connection was fine; we could party up. Once A91 came out, I came across this problem. (I'm not blaming the update, but I'm just wondering what the cause of the problem is.)

2. When I checked VERSION ID for him, it said "A91 (D2C2)". I don't know what the "D2C2" particularly refers to.

----

Samsyn Says:

1.) Direct 1:1 connections (telnet or otherwise) are becoming slightly deprecated (in favor of running a private MIX server) since more and more functionality requires MIX. Please check with Evergreen, however, to see if you see the modified world complaint. Some other world developers have not been as stringent in their version control as Evergreen has been.

2.) The D2C2 is a cryptographic hash of the contents of the world folder. The fact that you see a number at all means it is "different from yours". You can't really tell much from the number itself usually, though officially released versions will tend to have a stable value. In any case, this is evidence that you do not have identical copies of the world in question. If the world author has been good about their version control, then you should both be able to use the "Check on line for new worlds" feature and get matching copies of the latest version.

[ 07-17-2007, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Mad
Verbose Member
Member # 5460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad   Author's Homepage   Email Mad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have 2 questions.
1. My little brother and I used TELNET to connect to each other to play WoS. When I try to party with him, it says "Modified Quest File Detected." I'm wondering of the possible reasons why this could have appeared.
He never modded with his WoS, he has Avoid Modified Quest Files checked, and had just created a character (lv.1). I have never modded either, and have all the appropriate mod-avoiding options selected.
(If needed for reference, we were playing Skavens_Plague, but the same problem had occured in RoT and Athelias.)
And also, the last time we've TELNET connected was version A90, and the connection was fine; we could party up. Once A91 came out, I came across this problem. (I'm not blaming the update, but I'm just wondering what the cause of the problem is.)

2. When I checked VERSION ID for him, it said "A91 (D2C2)". I don't know what the "D2C2" particularly refers to.

I assume you saw that in the players list. The problem doesn't come from the version of WoS you have but from the version of the worlds. If you both play the same version of the world, then you will only see "A91". If there is something behind (D2C2 here), that is the version of the world the other player has. And 2 players with a different version of a world cannot party together, unless they have the "avoid modified quest files" option unchecked (and you DON'T WANT to uncheck it or your characters will be marked as modders).

So apparently you need to download and install the latest patches for the worlds mentioned. Then both you and your brother will have the same version. If you are not sure about how to patch the worlds (especially if you are several patches behind the current version) you may want to reinstall the worlds.

But reinstalling WoS is not likely to help as it's a problem of compatibilty between world versions.

EDIT for typos.

[ 08-18-2006, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Mad ]

--------------------
athelias.biz - Forums - Worlds' List

Posts: 1812 | From: Moe's | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Haka
Member # 7395

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haka   Email Haka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I downloaded a world called "the summoner," but all the maps are small. The only place where there is a map is the upper right hand corner. I kept re-installing it, but it didn't work. What do I do? I also re-installed Wos.... [Confused] [Confused]

Please help!

O.K, now I waited awhile, and I mean AWHILE! So, I will say it better now.

The only place where there is a map, in the upper left hand corner. It's like the map is too small. I think it's the map files that are small. Ethier that, or it's the game. So can some one help me now?

------

Samsyn Says:

I can only speak definitively about the world "Evergreen" so do you have the same problem there? If so, then.. do you have some amazingly monstrous windows desktop size?

In the copy of 'the_summoner' that I have, most maps are 512x512 which should be about 2048x2048 pixels when rendered on the main map screen.

I would say your problem is excitingly unique!

Unless it is resolved by disabling "Improve quality of jpeg images" from the Book of Options, in which case your computer doesn't like the jpeg resizer.

Haka Says:
It was,"Improve quality of jpeg images!" but it was ENABLED not DIABLED.

[ 09-21-2007, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: Haka ]

--------------------
"Heros get remembred, but legends never die." The Sandlot Film -1996

Lookie! Lookie! A cat! A cat comes out of nowhere...... The cat goes "Hissss!"

Posts: 1 | From: My fantasy world! | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Killeritzu
Member # 7399

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Killeritzu   Email Killeritzu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how do u make summoning spells? [Smile]

---

Samsyn Says:

You are encouraged to embark upon the exciting path of checking out:

www.synthetic-reality.com/wosDev0.htm

and exploring the resources offered there, as well as rummaging around in the Evergreen quest files and looking for existing spells you would like to emulate.

[ 07-17-2007, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
Hi

curent Games
(WoS)
(arcadia)

Grimreapu
Member # 5099

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grimreapu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to somehow align my maps to fit within the window and stop the map from moving when the character does.

---

Samsyn Says:

I believe the answer is no, short of having a map smaller than the smallest player's window selection

[ 02-15-2007, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
We're all just prisoners of our own device.

We will gladly feast on the souls of those who would subdue us.

Posts: 66 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
hellraiser
Member # 7500

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hellraiser   Email hellraiser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok i read threw the faq many times...still dont know what to do. First i dowloaded the game went online no trouble(router connected) and played a few hours then turned it off next mourning(no settings changed) i go on it doesnt work i read the faq thinking it was the router i unplug it reboot connection and try agian doesnt work and i dont have windows firewall turned on. so not the router and not the firewall
but i still get the getting mixmaster server list what could i do? (sry wrong spot clicked the wrong button oh well)also id like to add that i cant recieve skins either looked at the faq and the only 1 that it could be i think is a firewall wich i dont have somthing to do w/ the packets maybe? idk oh an off topic lol..... wen i hit alt+ctrl+delete it says taskmanager has been disable by administator couple of my friends hade it happin to them to....anyway i got it working 1ce but it did it agian how do i get to ctrl+alt+delete options? (people on here seem to know about computers so i thought i would ask)

-----------

Samsyn Says:

According to the master server, something has modified your copy of the game. The most obvious suspicion would be a virus, so I suggest you scan immediately.

Once you're certain you're clean, you will need to re-install WoS (just right on top of the existing copy)

[ 02-15-2007, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Posts: 3 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
hellraiser
Member # 7500

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hellraiser   Email hellraiser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what about my character do i have to start over or can i salvage it?

---

Samsyn Says:

Reinstalling the game on top of itself does not modify your existing characters (and preserves your existing soul #)

But there is nothing wrong with making periodic backups, in which case you should save your ENTIRE "c:\WoS\Save" folder.

If disaster happens (or you get a new computer) restoring from default is tricky and explained at http://www.synthetic-reality.com/wosSuperFAQ.htm

Unless you have a golden soul (http://www.synthetic-reality.com/wosGolden.htm) in which case it's really easy.

[ 03-12-2007, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Posts: 3 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Maghnus
Healthy Member
Member # 6517

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maghnus   Author's Homepage   Email Maghnus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can you tell me about making worlds and how to make monsters only do one attack im having trooble with that...
Open up Evergreen and look at Eyebrawl (monster 156).

--------------------
Who is Hotaru Tomoe?

Posts: 188 | From: Stratosphere | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Blue Athame
Member # 7601

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Athame     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do I delete a guild?

I looked in the "about guilds" page and it said nothing aobut it. I checked the delete this guild from the guild hall option and entered the password and it said that I need to enter all three passwords to delete the guild.Thats when it hit me [Eek!] I ONLY SET ONE ! please help me.

---

Samsyn Says:

It actually means you have to enter the (one) password into All Three Boxes.

It's like 'max hassle = least liklihood of accident'

Even so, generally the way to kill a guild is to boot everyone out and let it evaporate naturally.

[ 03-12-2007, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}{~}

Dauragon
Member # 7661

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dauragon   Email Dauragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im not sure what is wrong with WoS for everyone else but recently i tried entering all of the servers and all of them tell me when i try to incarnate a char. that the world is a modded world and that it will permently mark player as a cheater. and also all my 6 of my characters appear to be lvl 100 and their stats are all 0 when i only had 1 lvl 100 and the rest of them where lvl 15 and lower. also the loading screen is messed because the white words that say loading high resolution map do not show and the green screen displaying words about evergreen do not come up and i have to click the loading screen to continue. also the map screen and everything else is black.

----

Samsyn Says:

If it was working before, and you haven't made any changes, then check your shortcut and make sure it is pointing to the proper folder (startIn = c:\wos, for example)

[ 06-20-2007, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Joachim Armister
Member # 7825

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Joachim Armister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello samsyn I have already notified Microsoft however I wonder if you know that Windows Vista "Does not support Windows Help Format" and so neither I nor (probably) anyone with Vista (I hate Vista) can view any of the attractive (and useful) help files. I hope that you will fix this fairly soon.

----

Samsyn Says:

I am depending on someone making a third party solution for that, since I am only one of a billion people with old .hlp files.

[ 07-17-2007, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Joachim Armister
Member # 7825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joachim Armister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I cannot read the attractive help files can anyone tell me: Does "This demon cannot be tamed" mean that I cannot tame that creature at all and if not should I simply keep casting it until it finally works. I have exhausted my MP bar on a LVL40 with my LVL90 character so I do not think that that will work

---

Samsyn Says: Luckily the answer to this question is probably not in the attractive help file. You should definitely not keep casting when you see that :-) Some demons simply cannot be tamed.

[ 06-20-2007, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

WaterMarine
Member # 7832

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for WaterMarine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, your FAQ says to un-check read-only in the skin folder's properties. I did that, but then when I closed the window, and opened up the folder's properties again, the READ-ONLY IS STILL CHECKED. I don't have a firewall or anything. Does this mean I'm not gonna be able to download ANY skins?

---

Samsyn Says:

Windows, for some reason, won't let you un-check read only by using the FOLDER properties. You need to open the folder, select all the FILEs in it, then right-click on that SELECTION and then you can clear the read-only checkbox for all those files.

However, read-only on a skin file will only cause you problems if it was only partially downloaded and you are trying to resume it, which is probably not the problem. Please see http://www.synthetic-reality.com/wosSuperFAQ.htm and http://www.synthetic-reality/troubleShooter.htm for more reasons a skin xfer can fail.

[ 06-20-2007, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Newspaz
Member # 1694

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Newspaz   Email Newspaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My hotkey window is gone!

I checked the hotkey button in the book of options, and restarted wos, but the window is still gone. How do I get it back?

----

Samsyn Says:

Perhaps you dragged it off screen at some time (window positions are remembered). This would be most likely if you recently reduced your desktop size.

[ 07-17-2007, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Posts: 41 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
jamosup
Member # 7875

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jamosup   Email jamosup   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question. My WoS does not play music anymore. I know someone else had this problem but the thing that helped them did nothing for me. Can someone help here? My music is on, so don't worry about that.

---

Samsyn Says:

Wos music comes in the form of .mid (MIDI) files, so your windows control panel (multimedia controls, I believe) needs to be configured so as to allow midi files to play.

Your control panel will offer you several options with names like "software synth" and "hardware wavetable"

The first test is to double click on a .mid file and see if windows can play it at all. Muck with the control panel until that works. (You probably also have a separate windows volume control slider for MIDI which might have gotten muted or turned all the way down)

If you reach the point where you can play a MIDI outside of WoS, but not inside WoS (and the WoS SOUND menu has neither disabled music nor 'all sound') Then you probably have a selection like "software synth" which cannot be used at the same time that the sound card is playing sound effects (the 'software' in question re-using the 'wave out' hardware.) Try a different multimedia control panel option.

Most modern name-brand sound cards have multiple wave out channels, so this is not normally a problem. Good old "WinModem" integrated sound cards are famous for overcommitting the hardware (even to the degree of conflicts between sound effected and the ability to make the modem squeaks and squacks)

[ 07-17-2007, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

MonopolyRox
Member # 7877

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MonopolyRox   Email MonopolyRox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WoS wont even let me install it. I used to be able to play a while ago but now when I try to update it, it wont work. I've tried deleting it, and reinstalling it and even applying all the patches IN ORDER, that are on the download WoS page (A92-A95).

My error says "CRC Error - cannot install the following file: c:\WoS\scenes\henge1.jpg" and when I try to use the Patches it says
"c:\WoS\MIX\mix.exe: unknown version.

How do I fix this?

----

Samsyn Says:

1.) don't try patching, just use the full installer to get yourself back on track

2.) download a fresh copy of the full installer, as it sounds like you got a broken download before.

3.) when windows asks you where to save it, pick a different folder than where you downloaded it before (windows has a helpful desire to 'resume' a partial download, without actually guaranteeing to do it right. Saving to a new location sometimes helps.

4.) be sure to not be running WoS, Mix, or anything else when you run the installer

5.) Only you know if it would be a good time to run a virus scan on your hard drive, a defrag, a scandisk, etc. My bet is on: a.) failed partial download of the installer (crc error), b.) attempting to apply incorrect patch to current copy (unknown version of mix).

-s

[ 07-17-2007, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

MonopolyRox
Member # 7877

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MonopolyRox   Email MonopolyRox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did everything you said and I still get the same errors.

Would you happen to a have a link to a not broken Full Installer, because the one on the download Well of Souls page doesnt work for me.

--------

Samsyn Says

* Perhaps AOL has cached a broken copy of the file? Do you have access to the Internet via any other ISPs?

* I just verified that the installer on my site is fine.

* If you right-click on "WellOfSouls.exe" (the installer) and get the Properties, you should see:

Size: 9.78MB (10,262,723)
Size on Disk: 9.78MB (10,264,576)

You might want to confirm that the copy you just re-downloaded to a new folder (as described above) is the same size as the one you downloaded before (though valid size alone does not prove the file is un-corrupted)

* I should confirm that you are installing to a real folder (like "C:\WoS") and not to the root of the drive ("C:\")

* You might try installing to a different folder (as opposed to downloading to a different folder as I suggested above). For example to "C:\WoS2"

There are not too many choices here though:

1.) your downloaded copy is not what is served from my web site (AOL cache, bit errors in download, viral contamination upon arrival on your PC, disk full or defective)

2.) Execution of the installer is blocked in some way (Windows admin privileges, destination folder privileges, file locks held on pre-existing partial installation, over ambitious firewall or virus checker, conflicting copy of the code running at the same time)

3.) Operating System issues (you have a macintosh :-), you have Vista..)

My best guess is you still haven't got a clean copy of the download.. on the off chance that you have cygwin, the cksum of the installer is:

3075134533 10262723 WellOfSouls.exe

(That's today's A95 installer)

[ 07-18-2007, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Eidan
Veteran Member
Member # 4986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eidan   Email Eidan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the 'default hand equip' as defined by levels.txt stronger than the other hands. For example, if I have all hands up to level 9, will the default hand be stronger still?

BTW It'd be nice if PP could be TAKEn by script or something, it doesn't have much use in my world, and by much I mean nothing at all.

----

Samsyn Says:

1.) Pretty sure the default hand is just initial training points bonus and has no long term advantage once you level up another hand to the same level. Of course, individual weapons vary, and performance is affected by many other parameters as well.

2.) Yes, I already caved on that. [Smile] A96 will allow scripted give/take of PP. We'll see if it becomes the disaster I feared it would be.

[ 07-18-2007, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
-Gen

Posts: 568 | From: A76 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chapien
Member # 7905

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chapien   Email Chapien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. I am making a world on WoS, and i have a problem. When i tell it to do a skin, it does the wrong on! pn scene 0, i want a ghost and it stays as the sage. On the potion shop, i want the old man on joshTownsfolk and it goes to joshTownsfolk 9. Finally, on another scene, i want the same old man and it goes to pose 9 there to. Why?

----

Samsyn Says:

You might want to use the /villagers command when determining frame numbers. That command will open a little dialog window where you can select any of the .bmp files in your /monsters folder and then scroll through one to find the image you want. The index number is then shown on top of the image itself.

Note that not *everything* in the monsters folder is suitable for use as an NPC skin....

-

And I hope I had the foresight to merge both the game /monsters file and your world's /monsters file into that selection list... [Smile]

Now, I can't see how you could snap from 22 to 9, so I am guessing you have the wrong number of arguments in your ACTOR command...

code:
   ACTOR 1, "The King", joshRoyalty, 3, 50, 50

Use spaces and/or a comma to separate the fields, put strings in quotes for safety (especially if you need spaces or commas in the name of the actor, for example).

The pose index is after the skin file name, then come the starting x/y position of the actor.

code:
<space> ACTOR <id#> <name> <skin file> <skin pose> <horizontal pos> <vertical pos>

[ 08-11-2007, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

kylewalsh123
Member # 7935

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kylewalsh123   Email kylewalsh123   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry again for posting this in a topic, if i can get it deleted, it will be done.

Everytime I download well of souls, as soon as i run the installation file, it says its encountered a problem and needs to close. I went through the entire FAQ and didn't see any tech support, so I went here for help. Sorry if I missed a source.

----

Samsyn Says

Assuming you have a Windows PC (and not macintosh/linux), that would be a pretty atypical experience.

The most likely explanation is that your copy of the download is defective. If you're on AOL, for example, you might be getting a bad cached copy. Not much to suggest for this likelihood other than to keep trying to download it. But download to a different folder (i.e. if you downloaded it to your desktop last time, try some folder instead. Sometimes browsers will try to 'resume' a download when they think they already have a portion of the file, but actually get it wrong.)

The installer itself doesn't use and special graphics or sound features, so I doubt you could have a driver incompatibility cause this.

You might want to scandisk/defrag/virus check your hard drive...

I assume it is not even making it far enough to ask you where you want to install it. Again, the most obvious explanation is the download didn't really work.

[ 09-19-2007, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

kylewalsh123
Member # 7935

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kylewalsh123   Email kylewalsh123   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid I've ran multiple scans, and tried it on 3 different computers. Still not working. Does this make any sense to you? It doesn't for me.

EDIT: I've now tried it on 5 different computers throughout(sp?) my city, and they all get the error. Only connection? Same ISP on all of them. Is there any possible way to avoid this? I really enjoy WoS, and it really pains me to be unable to play it.

FURTHER EDIT: Just formatted my computer, even that didn't help.

---

Samsyn Says:

Well, there is definitely something funky going on, try downloading this:

http://www.synthetic-reality.com/WellOfSoulsA95.exe and see if that works better for you.

---

Thanks for drawing my attention to this, by the way. I believe my host is having switch problems. I have moved the download link to that new address, which looks fine to me. Please try it again, and thanks.

[UPDATE 9/26/07

My mirror site has been 're-imaged' so this problem should now be resolved, and I have remapped the download links back to the mirror. Thanks again for drawing it to my attention!

-s]

[ 09-26-2007, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Lyreat
Member # 7943

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lyreat   Email Lyreat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...
I played WoS several years ago on dial-up. Worked fine. I just re-downloaded the latest version, installed it, and tried to run it. Well... When I try to connect to the MIX server, it pops the infamous "Getting list of MIX servers from mixmaster server...". I have my firewall completely turned off. I turned my firewall on and opened UDP and TCP ports 8000 and 8001. Then I turned my firewall back off. I am not using a proxy, I have no router. It's straight cable from the wall to the modem to the computer. So what gives? I would also like to note that I can't retrieve any servers on the Arcadia mixmaster but I suppose that could be expected. Any help, please?

EDIT: Another oddity- when I made my new single player character to at least train offline, it tells me I have been around for 25:36! What the hey's going on? My soul ID is 6A4B3418.

[ 10-01-2007, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Lyreat ]

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently your computer appears to have been used by "Helta Da Klown" who earned banishment for a variety of anti-social activities.

I would guess that's where the 25 hours came from as well?

--------------------
He knows when you are sleeping.

Posts: 11017 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
SiC_Advocate
Verbose Member
Member # 4602

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiC_Advocate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a new computer, and it's Vista(unfortunately).

The servers show up, but when I connect it says I've lost my connection, sorry if this questions already been asked, I'm too lazy to search through five pages of questions.

-SiC

Edit: Nvm, I figured it out on my own.

-----

Samsyn Says:

What was it? Perhaps it will help others to know what you had to do. Firewall?

[ 01-14-2008, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
Kill em all mo murder mo murder thats what weegie said, gotta' put one in ya' head (bang) these *****s'll serve ya'

Anno Domino

Posts: 1237 | From: Rockford Illinois | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ziven
Member # 8046

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ziven   Email Ziven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a question too. It seems whenever I attempt to go to the server list, the whole game just freezes on me, and the program doesn't go away unless I reboot the computer. Why? It works fine for solo, just multiplayer.

[ 01-29-2008, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: Ziven ]

Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beoghztt   Author's Homepage   Email Beoghztt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your firewall maybe?

If you're on Vista, or you have an anti-virus software installed on your PC (like the Nortoo), it's most likely the firewall is trying to ask you for the permission to allow the game to connect to the Internet.

Whenever WoS freezes, don't just try to shut it down. Wait and see if your PC is working hard to get that popup window on your screen (I have a Norton firewall and it freezes the program when it detects an outgoing connection from an unknown program).

--------------------
This signature contains a lot of foul languages.
                                                                                   Also racism.

Posts: 2227 | From: Yokohama, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ziven
Member # 8046

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ziven   Email Ziven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, nevermind, I've gotten it working, thanks ^.^

[ 01-30-2008, 06:00 AM: Message edited by: Ziven ]

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.