Synthetic Reality Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Other Games » Arcadia » Empyrion Dev/Release Notes (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Empyrion Dev/Release Notes
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, I only count 25 'cn's, so that seems promising. When you say 'only some of them' which ones are missing?

And are you sure (if you have a mix of physically large and small units) the game is not just drawing some 'on top of' others?

Perhaps the missing ones are actually defective in some way (linked to bad art or something)...

So is it missing in the sense of "only the first N show up" or missing in the sense of "none of the XYZ units show up"?

--------------------
He knows when you are sleeping.

Posts: 10953 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beoghztt   Author's Homepage   Email Beoghztt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My "A Target Practice" starts out with 25 units.

code:
[dir]
num=2
u_0=Empty
u_1=Target Decoy

[u_1]
ty=S
hp=100
tg=100
m0=units\units_target.bmp
cn=25

That's pretty much what's inside the INI, except for the boring notes and such.

--------------------
This signature contains a lot of foul languages.
                                                                                   Also racism.

Posts: 2227 | From: Yokohama, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ShadowOchibi
Member # 7246

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShadowOchibi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, it would only load my 2 tanking vehicles and 5 space marines

There shouldn't be any problems with the image files, either. I've used them all before.

Note: If the image has "inverted" in it's name, all i did was i invert the image colors and re-colored the background to its default teal and stuff.

[ 09-21-2007, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: ShadowOchibi ]

Zepros
Member # 5027

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zepros     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You haven't given all of the units that you start with a unit type such as vehicle or plane, that's why they won't show up, it'll work once you do that(give them a unit type I mean).

edit: btw, I've never seen you on Arc before, what alias do you use?

[ 09-21-2007, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Zepros ]

ShadowOchibi
Member # 7246

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShadowOchibi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OMG.... i actually missed that? man i'm getting forgetful. Sometimes, it seems that the more skilled i get at making an empire, the more things i forget to assign values to.

I've only played multiplayer once before, on telnet. I've never gone on mix server before.

Most of the time, i just challenge myself with 7 computers. 2 intruders, 4 geezers, and 1 smart geezers, all of them on highly aggressive/wild man/thinly spread. Takes a long time, but i still have my advantage: concious thought. XD

I might try mix server sometime, if i can get my empires to work and stuff.

[ 09-21-2007, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: ShadowOchibi ]

Darkclaw
Healthy Member
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darkclaw   Email Darkclaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lmao. That's interesting. I never knew that there were actually people who PLAYED Arcadia but never got ONLINE. If you get some people to play with, online is way better than computers. Although recently many people don't like to play so much, so you really gotta find the right times.

--------------------
-SoV

Posts: 343 | From: Sewers | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Darkclaw
Healthy Member
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darkclaw   Email Darkclaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...Just wow......

Dude, I was in no way freaking out about him not playing online. I was just shocked that someone actually plays a game like Arc without trying online very often. Beo, seriously, calm down, and try to ask yourself"Am I blowing things out of proportion all the time just because I dislike the guy, or is the thing I'm about to type actually a valid point?"

If you want to continue blowing things out of proportion, at least put it in a topic that is NOT dev/release notes. And please, get off my ass. You're the only one attacking.

--------------------
-SoV

Posts: 343 | From: Sewers | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flamelord   Author's Homepage   Email Flamelord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, both of you chill. It's the internet, remember?

Get on, play some Emp, shoot each other up in Space, DomiNation back and forth or something. Geez.

--------------------
Constantinople! We shall never forget your zany barge poles!

Posts: 4232 | From: Gresham, OR | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jgad
Member # 8227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jgad         Edit/Delete Post 
Bump!

Could the following be implemented as unit properties;

Anti-requirements: If X exists then Y cannot be built.

Morph-decay cost: Requires X$ to morph-decay, if there isn't enough $, then morph-decay happens as soon as enough has been gathered. (Could also have a value to reset the timer if there isn't enough money)

Morph-decay requirement: Requires X to morph-decay into Y, otherwise morph-decay as soon as X is built. (Could also have a value to reset the timer if requirement is not met)

Cloaking-distance: Pretty much the opposite of vision. An area of fog is created around the unit. (4 values to show fog for just allys, just enemies, both or none)

Quite a few more interesting empires could be made if those were added. Hoping this post gets read though!

There also appears to be a bug in the weapon efficiencies. I've only tested this with a few weapons, but bomb and industrial type weapons are only dealing 90% of their damage to buildings.

[ 03-15-2009, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Jgad ]

Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beoghztt   Author's Homepage   Email Beoghztt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just replying to the last paragraph, the damage actually inflicted to an enemy unit will be less than the weapon power value you defined for the weapon even when the weapon is 100% effective against the enemy unit type. Dan explains this as an offset of "distance and accuracy of shot".

While I cannot confirm on the latter aspect (my guess is that it's just a fancy way of saying "random value"), I assume by that he means that the further you are, proportionally the less damage you are dealing.

So if you want a weapon that will always one-hit kill a soldier type unit with 100 HP, you might want to give it a power that is slightly higher than exactly 100, like 115 just in case the offset evilly turns on you [Smile]

--------------------
                                                                                   Also racism.

Jgad
Member # 8227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jgad         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply!

I guess I'll take your suggestion and increase the weapon powers.

I don't believe it's that "random" though.

I've tested the damage several times. I used different weapons and a range of distances this time, and all the 100% efficient weapons only deals 90% of the damage to the unit type. It always damages for exactly 90% of the weapon power too.

I guess I'll need to re-work my unit values!

Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
I wasn't saying the damage output was random. There's a difference between randomized value and offset range.

By that, I mean that there would a rather stable (as I can tell from your test result) range of possible damage output, instead of always dealing the same damage when attacking the same unit type with the same weapon. So this wouldn't be, say, randomly random.

But to be honest, I've never even known about this "accuracy of shot" as a factor of damage output until I looked at the Empyrion webpage earlier today, so it is quite possible that Dan forgot to implement this feature although he had it planned in his mind (or none of this ever existed at all and he just wrote that off of on top of his head).

Not that I see the need to implement it, though. While it would be fun to be able to occasionally hit a "magnificent attack" (like headshot), it's always annoying when your enemy survives with like 7 HP even though you SHOULD be able to one-hit kill it. It just screws up the carefully crafted balance of the empires and the game itself.

I'm saying this because I'm playing Valkyria Chronicles right now [Smile]

[ 03-16-2009, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Beoghztt ]

--------------------
                                                                                   Also racism.

Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
Might I suggest a new valid value for [ws1]/[ws2] unit attribute, such as "3=Targets most effective", that allows the unit (or weapon, rather) to target and engage enemies that the weapon can damage most effectively? This, of course, should be used in conjunction with the [wb1]/[wb2] attribute.

I thought of this because all the [wb1]/[wb2] does is preventing the weapon from attacking enemies that are below the specified value at all, even though the weapon is still capable of hurting that unit.

For example, Smart Geezer's mammoth tank is equipped with a cannon with wb1=25, which means it will shoot at vehicles and buildings, but not soldiers and aircrafts. If it is engaging a gang of enemy tanks and bazookers, it makes perfect sense that it only shoots at tanks. However once the enemy tanks are gone, it stops attacking at all, even though the cannon can still hurt bazookers. The bazookers still love to shoot at tanks, so it's possible for a group of bazookers to wipe out a barricade of tanks without taking little to any damage, which is quite silly really.

If you could add a new weapon strategy "Target most effective" and apply that to a cannon weapon with wb1=20, the same mammoth tank will shoot at tanks first, then at soldiers when all the tanks are dead.

Comments, anyone?

---

Also, I was scrolling through your empyrion guide, and thought that it would be interesting to support an 'impassable' terrain in a map, that blocks all units including aircrafts from crossing it. I've been gathering a few ideas in and out for correcting the balance over aircrafts VS vehicles; it would encourage players to build more vehicles over aircrafts in such maps.

Heck, if possible, in the future it would also be cool for terrains to allow only X types of units to cross. You could make a soldier-only terrain to create an indoor area illusion (i.e. bunker), or the long-awaited 'water' terrain that allows only ships to cross.

You could even do stupid stuff like "building-only" terrains so people could build a missile tower or a sentry turret atop some rocky field that soldiers or tanks cannot reach.

The last few paragraphs are me being a bit silly, but it never hurts to suggest anything, amirite?

[ 08-21-2010, 01:55 AM: Message edited by: Beoghztt ]

--------------------
                                                                                   Also racism.

Weylin
Member # 8359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Weylin   Email Weylin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the idea posted above. I know this is a really old topic, but it's stickied, so whatever.

It would also be cool to set weapons able to do splash damage. It would completely revamp the current missiles and bombs. Splash damage would require more balancing though. No more 500 damage missiles if you put a big splash on it, it will kill every unit it touches, xD.

Posts: 20 | From: Right behind you | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.