Synthetic Reality Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Other Games » Arcadia » Empyrion Dev/Release Notes (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Empyrion Dev/Release Notes
Zepros
Member # 5027

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zepros     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
i have a question. i made a medic, but it only repairs buildings.

Here are the values i inputted:

Unit Name: Medic
Unit Type: S=Soldier
Max Hit Points: 100
Speed: 75
Weapon Type: Industrial (i think this is what the toy page calls "electricity". might answer stick man's question.)
Weapon Power: -50
Weapon Range: 150
Weapon Regharge: 2
Weapon Targets Friendlies: 1=Targets Friendlies
Weapon Chooses Best Effect: 100 (i read about this and if i understand correctly, it should only target unit types that have at least 100% effectiveness)
Weapon Strategy: 2=Targets Weakest
Vision Distance: 250

i want to make it target only soldiers, but it only repairs buildings.

Change the weapon type to Fire/Laser/Machine Gun/Rifle/Gun, since they all have just 100% on troops.

http://www.synthetic-reality.com/empyrion.htm

Theres a weapon table with weapon effectiveness near the bottom.

"Weapon Chooses Best Effect:" attacks with whatever weapon is that % effective or higher.

Edit: Electricity hasn't been added...
Industrial has 100% on buildings and 0% on everything else.

[yes, Industrial is new-ish.. I need to update that page. -s]
[I updated the web page, and next release will have electricity on the menu for primary and secondary weapon types -s]

[ 10-14-2006, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beoghztt   Author's Homepage   Email Beoghztt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might be interested to use these effects for your medic healing (right click and save target):

Animation (Explosion Filmstrip): w_healman1.bmp
Sound Effect:w_heal.wav

Use a rifle or machinegun for the sound effect, otherwise it may create visual distortion (the animation and sound won't play at the same timing)

(Hey, that's from my effects TC that isn't released yet! You just got a generous free preview! [Big Grin] )

[ 09-10-2006, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: Beoghztt ]

--------------------
This signature contains a lot of foul languages.
                                                                                   Also racism.

Posts: 2227 | From: Yokohama, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ShadowOchibi
Member # 7246

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShadowOchibi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Zepros.

and Beoghztt, the two files are really nice. i'm not that good with paint XD

i've made 8 empires already since i started playing Empyrion. some of them are just pure stupid, for example "Biohazard".

you start with an invisible aircraft (the image strip is all teal, so during a match, you dont see anything except a dot on the map). The aircraft is called "Evil Eye", and you click-morph it into a little purple factory that moves and shoots. it generates 1 ore every 12 seconds (5 per minute). It can create one more of itself for 12 ore. They move slow, have low range, and do low damage. Their weapon type is missle with a firepower of 10. Since they are buildings, you can only select one at a time. It's hard to use, but once you get the hang of it, it easily overpowers the enemy.

edit1: does anyone know what the minimum cooldown is?

[not sure what you mean... weapon recharge time? officially 0 seconds, but units are polled for moves, so no unit can just sit there blasting away infinitely fast. -s]

edit2: is range calculated from the center or the edge of the unit?

[knock on wood, from the center of its ground contact area. Center of its shadow. -s]

edit3: what do the unit types Miner, WaterCraft, and UnderWaterCraft mean? Can the two watercrafts travel in water? what does the miner do? And if i select unit type miner, am i invincible because the weapon effective damage isn't set for miners?

[as yet unimplemented options. the miner is pencilled in for traveling 'underground' -s]

edit4: sorry for the many edits, but i would like to make a suggestion. how about a minimum range? anyone here know StarCraft? Siege tanks in siege mode can't attack units too close.

[hmm, embarassingly good idea -s]

another question. if i input ore timing, i can't remove the value anymore. would it be okay to fix this?

[for now you can manually edit your empire's .ini file to remove the entry. the code is "os" Hopefully setting ore load to 0 removes all ore-related functionality and this is just a cosmetic blemish for you. -s]

and yet another. (sorry if i'm such a bother.) sometimes i want my (in Geezer terms) "Construction yard" to be able to return to a "Construction Vehicle", but the vehicle is set at unit ID 0. the click-morph info says that ID 0 will mean "no unit", which means it will not click morph. maybe you could do something about this?

[correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you can opt to not use unit ID 0 at all now. i.e. make unit 1, for example, be your real construction vehicle and make sure the empire starts with one. I think. -s]

[ 10-14-2006, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For next release:

* units may now have FOUR required units (as opposed to 2)

* weapon ranges increased

* max morph auto-decay timeout increased from 600 to 10000 seconds

* buildings and factories get simple drop shadows. (that was 3 hours of my life right there)

---

Specifically this was to support Hesacon in his ability to have a unit given at start of game, which was required for all subsequent construction, but which would morph out of existence after awhile, providing a 'window of construction' at the front of the game.

[ 10-15-2006, 02:41 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
He knows when you are sleeping.

Posts: 10610 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beoghztt   Author's Homepage   Email Beoghztt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo! Hesa would be proud of you!

I also would like to give a personal thanks about the morph second, since I was thinking the same thing (no seriously, I just didn't say it; I came up of the same idea before seeing Hesa's post, not that I'm claiming him or me of stealing...)

quote:
not sure what you mean... weapon recharge time? officially 0 seconds, but units are polled for moves, so no unit can just sit there blasting away infinitely fast. -s
Although not infinitely fast, I believe something similar can be done by using a Gun weapon with firing range between 0 and 1 (0.5, 0.1, 0.00001... anything like that), since Gun weapons refire the fastest and reach target the fastest too (0.3 seconds). This should be the fastest firing combination available.

quote:
and yet another. (sorry if i'm such a bother.) sometimes i want my (in Geezer terms) "Construction yard" to be able to return to a "Construction Vehicle", but the vehicle is set at unit ID 0. the click-morph info says that ID 0 will mean "no unit", which means it will not click morph. maybe you could do something about this?
How about adding a unit #28 that is identical to the CV? Then, make your conyard capable of morphing to #28, and your copy of CV capable of morphing to #1, mutually. You might want to INI edit to this (though it would be much less hassle if you just get rid of the original CV).

And yes, like Dan says, it's probably the best to avoid the use of unit #0, because of such restriction.

[ 10-14-2006, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Beoghztt ]

--------------------
                                                                                   Also racism.

ShadowOchibi
Member # 7246

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShadowOchibi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the help. i'd like to add that changes for next release are really nice. i think it's really funny to have bomb-type weapons firing from corner to corner and doing 1 damage. XD

now i'm fully reloaded with suggestions to fire at ya!

1. how does it sound to implement a "supply" system? It's kind of like "power consumption", but when your power consumption is maxed, you can still build. I'm hoping for something more like Starcraft's supply system for units, where you can't build any more units until you provide more supply.

[I think that would be money. -s]

2. anti air = only air for %100
industrial = only buildings for %100
you can set "choose effectiveness" to have weapons that attack ground only for 100%.

how about vehicles? i'm making a unit that can only repair vehicles, but i have to use "cannon", which has a 90% effectiveness, so i have to get a calculator. my suggestion? make something that does 100% for vehicles and less for the other unit types.

3. more resource types? changable resource name? would it get too complicated?

4. weapon strategy can target closest, weakest, and strongest. how about farthest?

5. is it possible to add splash damage and leave the splash radius changable? (for example: nukes with wide splash, grenades with small splash, etc.)

6. units that go bye-bye? after a certain amount of time, it just disappears? (mining station click-morphs into overdrive, mines faster and gives more ore, but after a short time, it overloads, breaks down and is destroyed so you have to build a new one)

7. how about click morph requiring certain units?

8. customizeable building range? (for example: buildings that don't provide building range, Starcraft's Protoss Pylon, etc.)

9. this one is rediculous, but i'm making an empire like Starcraft's Terran. i have liftable buildings. when they are flying, i have no choice but to set them as aircraft, which i dont want to use, but will use aircraft if you dont want to make a unit type for "flying buildings". this suggestion isn't important, but it's just an idea.

10. this one is probably too hard to make, but how about unit-carriers? maybe something like a bunker where you can put units in. or maybe a plane to carry ground troops and tanks.

11. too many suggestions? here's one last one:
how about the ability for a unit to slowly regenerate its hp? a unit whose hp slowly decreases until it dies?

you dont need to do these. I'm already happy with how far empyrion has been able to go. definately no need to go nights without sleep just to satisfy people.

if you feel like it, go ahead and yell at me for asking so much of you. XD

edit1: there's been a change in plans. i have one more that i forgot earlier. how about a unit that can click morph into two or more different units? like a civilian that can become a gunman, ore miner, tank driver, aircraft pilot, etc. and maybe even a random hobo.

edit2: on the first page, i found a suggestion i liked but hasn't been implemented, so i thought of maybe talking about it. it's the suggestion on page 1 that Ebonydragoon posted. The part about regenerating fog is good. if you dont like regenerating fog, then choose 0 or 1. if you want it to regenerate, then choose one of the other values to determine wait time.

The reason i like it is because of this scenario:

you're building happily in your base, and the enemy sends two recon jets into your base. you kill it and celebrate your tiny victory. the bad news is: he can permanantly see your base. you either continue with a disadvantage, or find an empty spot to start a new base.

i would like some useful feedback pertaining to this suggestion.

[ 10-17-2006, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hesacon   Author's Homepage   Email Hesacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of that can already be done.

--------------------
SoV: Exalted Devout Oracle | World Developer | The Black Guard
Outside is just a prank older kids tell younger kids at Internet Camp

Posts: 9479 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
quote:
2. make something that does 100% for vehicles and less for the other unit types.
I've thought of the same thing, but I see no problem with how it is. Empyrion is a game that doesn't require too much precise math when it comes to damage calculations.

quote:
3. more resource types? changable resource name? would it get too complicated?
Yes, just a difference in ore load price is useful plenty.

quote:
5. is it possible to add splash damage and leave the splash radius changable? (for example: nukes with wide splash, grenades with small splash, etc.)
I've always wanted this, but I'm not sure if Dan would like it...

quote:
6. units that go bye-bye? after a certain amount of time, it just disappears?
Cool, why not? It would also work well for timed bombs.

quote:
8. customizeable building range?
Vision Range does the same thing.

quote:
9. i have liftable buildings. when they are flying, i have no choice but to set them as aircraft, which i dont want to use, but will use aircraft if you dont want to make a unit type for "flying buildings".
I've done this in a recent test, where you're able to build a "flying turret base" building that waits for 5 seconds and turns into a stationary aircraft. The drawback is that since it is an Aircraft, move0 Bitmap requires 16 frames, which is a problem if you want a big sprite for the building.
But I remember Dan saying something about shadows to buildings in an upcoming update, so together with Base Height I guess this will be possible soon, only the buildings won't "twitch" like Aircrafts.

quote:
10. but how about unit-carriers? maybe something like a bunker where you can put units in. or maybe a plane to carry ground troops and tanks.
Although not really what you imply, many people have created mobile factories. This works by creating a vehicle unit that click-morphs into a stationary factory.
Recently, I made a bit advanced version of this, where it only stays in the factory states for a certain amount of time, then morphs into another unit that is identical to the original vehicle, but cannot click-morph, instead it time-morphs back into the original vehicle.
This basically means: A (Carrier) click-morphs into B (Launch Ready), then it time-morphs into C (Carrier, catapult not ready), then finally back to A.

quote:
how about a unit that can click morph into two or more different units?
How about creating a cycle of units that click morphs into one another? Such as, a soldier that click-morphs into a tank, which click-morphs into aircraft, which click-morphs into soldier and so on. I think I've done this somewhere, but I can't recall.
Although click-morphing into random units sounds fun, it's not very practical.

quote:
The part about regenerating fog is good. if you dont like regenerating fog, then choose 0 or 1. if you want it to regenerate, then choose one of the other values to determine wait time.
Agreed.

--------------------
                                                                                   Also racism.

ShadowOchibi
Member # 7246

Rate Member
quote:
[I think that would be money. -s]
not really. if your supply is maxed, you can;'t build units, but you can still build buildings. not really an important thing, but just an idea.

quote:
Vision Range does the same thing.
umm... building range is determined by the building size. i can build out of my sight range if i am building near a large building with low sight range.

quote:
Although not really what you imply, many people have created mobile factories. This works by creating a vehicle unit that click-morphs into a stationary factory.
Recently, I made a bit advanced version of this, where it only stays in the factory states for a certain amount of time, then morphs into another unit that is identical to the original vehicle, but cannot click-morph, instead it time-morphs back into the original vehicle.
This basically means: A (Carrier) click-morphs into B (Launch Ready), then it time-morphs into C (Carrier, catapult not ready), then finally back to A.

umm... interesting idea... i'm still hoping for units like starcraft's shuttles, dropships, and overlords. this spawned a new suggestion. how about flying factories that produce units? (if i combine it with the morph-decay into nothing, i can create time-bombs that take awhile to detonate.)

something to add to the part about splash damage. it'd be nice if you could set the splash radius in number of pixels, ranging from 0 to about 1000 maybe.

edit1: how about a weapon that has %100 effectiveness for all unit types?

[ 10-17-2006, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: ShadowOchibi ]

Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
Hmm, supplies as in, food for soldiers and fuel for vehicles etc? Interesting idea. But that would make the game too complex and will disorientate new players. Nice idea though.

Although a blast radius of 1000 pixels is way too big.

Also, the weapon that inflicts 100% damage to all has been discussed in the previous page, and I disagree. Bombs and Anti-airs deal 100% damage to ground and air units respectively, and missiles can damage any types of units, so these are already plenty. Rather, I would love it if the new electricity weapon (Dan said he has this implemented in the next release) would deal 100% damage to vehicles. It makes sense, too, if you assume robotic troops = vehicles.

Also about the suicide bombs, it would be more practical with the "damage recoil" suggested by Hesa. Rather than morphing into nothing, it would make more sense if a bomb damaged itself to death at the same time it fires, giving the illusion of the bomb exploding.

A landmine is a good example. Having a bomb weapon with very short range, it sits at a fixed position until an enemy unit 'steps' on it, when it fires a bomb at the fool, and at the same time, dealing itself high enough damage to kill itself. So landmines are one-time only bombs, hopefully killing the enemy as it kills itself.

The only problem with this idea is that enemies would be able to shoot at it before they step on it, most likely killing it before exploding. This may be avoided by setting the landmines' HP very high, but unless the "recoil damage" is capable of setting separate damage that is dealt on the bomb, the landmine would end up being insanely powerful (i.e. A landmine can have its HP as high as 1000, the highest legal value for weapons so it can kill itself with recoil. If, for example, a landmine can damage enemies 200 HP, and still damage 1000 HP to itself, then there's no problem, but if recoil damage simply deals the same amount of damage done to enemies, then it would have to damage 1000 HP to enemies in order to kill itself).

I've thought of Op units, who are the only units that can remove mines, but I highly doubt it works either. The other units cannot tell if they are attacking a mine or something else.

Bah, why such a long talk about a unit that uses a non-existent feature. [Razz]

--------------------
                                                                                   Also racism.

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hesacon   Author's Homepage   Email Hesacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
::sigh::

Okay, education time.

quote:
2. anti air = only air for %100
industrial = only buildings for %100
you can set "choose effectiveness" to have weapons that attack ground only for 100%.

Yes you can... why are you asking this?

quote:
how about vehicles? i'm making a unit that can only repair vehicles, but i have to use "cannon", which has a 90% effectiveness, so i have to get a calculator. my suggestion? make something that does 100% for vehicles and less for the other unit types.
Multiply by 1 1/9, or to make it simple, you can add 10%. 100 becomes 110, 150 becomes 165. Simple.

quote:
I've been asking for this forever.

quote:
6. units that go bye-bye? after a certain amount of time, it just disappears? (mining station click-morphs into overdrive, mines faster and gives more ore, but after a short time, it overloads, breaks down and is destroyed so you have to build a new one)
Set the decay timer to the time you want (should be easy when Dan boosts it), and have to decay into say... unit 99, or some unit you do not have defined in your empire. When it decays, it will cease to exist, i.e. go "bye-bye."

quote:
7. how about click morph requiring certain units?
A unit can't click morph unless the requirements for the new unit are met. Dan now allows 4 required units.

quote:
9. this one is rediculous, but i'm making an empire like Starcraft's Terran. i have liftable buildings. when they are flying, i have no choice but to set them as aircraft, which i dont want to use, but will use aircraft if you dont want to make a unit type for "flying buildings". this suggestion isn't important, but it's just an idea.
aby proved vehicles can be used as a factory with bomberman beta (until Dan breaks something, which tends to happen when aby finds loopholes in empyrion to make kickass empires). In theory aircraft should work as well.

quote:
10. this one is probably too hard to make, but how about unit-carriers? maybe something like a bunker where you can put units in. or maybe a plane to carry ground troops and tanks.
I don't think this is reasonable to program with the current empyrion engine.

--------------------

ShadowOchibi
Member # 7246

Rate Member
okies. i've got a problem with my empire.

i made it so you couldn't make buildings until you had an SCV (vehicle-type). once i produce the SCV, i still can't make the buildings.

Unit Name: Supply Depot
Unit Type: Building
Produced by: 1 - Command Center
Requires unit: 15 - SCV (it's a vehicle-type unit)

any explanations as to why this happens?

Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
It causes a little problem if a unit requires something other than buildings: The unit in question does not appear in the build list until you build another building. Seeing that your empire can't build anything before the required vehicle unit, it would mean your empire won't be able to build anything, since you can't build a building that's really required to begin with. You might want to add a dummy building unit that you can build first.

--------------------
                                                                                   Also racism.

ShadowOchibi
Member # 7246

Rate Member
Thanks Beoghztt. it's nice knowing there are ways around these imperfections.
Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Quoting myself >.>
quote:
This came to me while using the bathroom (no kidding). Recoil damage. A unit fires on an enemy, and does a set amount of recoil damage to itself. If the unit has 1000 hp, and does 1000 recoil damage, it could effectivly limit the number of shots to 1, if it did 500 recoil damage, to 2, ect.
Even if you don't add it, the new version would be fun to have [Razz]

--------------------

Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flamelord   Author's Homepage   Email Flamelord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Splash damage could be done as a bell curve, with the stated damage being the point at the top (middle) of the curve and the radius determining the slope. I like it, and it would be fairly simple (I hope/think/wish). [Smile]

--------------------
Constantinople! We shall never forget your zany barge poles!

Posts: 4232 | From: Gresham, OR | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my resistance to splash damage comes from the loose synchronization model in Empyrion.

Players do not see individual shots synchronized (which is why it is important that it take more than one shot to kill a unit). Sync is an illusion with all players seeing an approximately equal drain-per-second, even though they don't see the same individual shots.

Something like a nuke would not work in that model since some people would not see it fire, and some people would see it fire multiple times.

Something like a flame thrower *might* work.

But in general, I think it would be more obvious...

--------------------

{GS}grego
Member # 6684

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for {GS}grego   Email {GS}grego   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was think it would be cool if the bots were smarter but what about a bot that learns from players and not just a setting? say a bot with the skill of darkclaw or bot set to intruders with lukes tactics ? but is it possible in arcadia?

--------------------
my site
freewebs.com/greg096

Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
You mean like a real AI? Interesting, but that would probably make Arcadia save a lot of cache to store what the bots learned, thus eating up your hard disk (hey, many of us don't have much disk space like many other of you do...)...

Also, I'm having trouble understanding exactly how you would make the bot actually simulate a specific player's strategy. I would understand (a little) if you mean actually building your own AI for your bots, but make them learn by themselves? I mean, we aren't playing synChess here - Empyrion is lot more complex (I'm not saying a game of chess isn't complex and strategic. I'm saying that Emp involves considerably more than moving six types of chess pieces within a 8 by 8 square board).

But to be honest, I don't really get why you would want a smarter bot. I only see bots as a way to test your new empires without actually having to find someone to play you with. If you are looking to play a game, you should be playing against a real player, not a bot (well yeah, I know some exceptions e.g. uberbot, but what's the whole point of Emp being multiplayer if all do is play against bots?). If you want to practice, playing a human player would be much more efficient, since bots would only be able to play a single, learned strategy, but humans tend to be alot flexible. Bots might endlessly build ores, but humans don't.

Besides, I find it a lot more useful if you would be able to load & save bot settings so you don't have to set it every single time when adding bots (should only work during solo-mode to prevent idiots uber-bot spamming in multi).

--------------------
                                                                                   Also racism.

GuppyMan
Compulsive Member
Member # 44

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GuppyMan   Email GuppyMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Request:

Remove the bots.

All people seem to do now-a-days is get on and gang up on the bots, which don't play anything like human players. Emp is losing all form of stategy. Decay = bad.

That or remove the ability to ally. [Razz]

[ 11-30-2006, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: GuppyMan ]

Posts: 2675 | From: Washington | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Get rid of the need for power and ore as well.

--------------------

Darkclaw
Healthy Member
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darkclaw   Email Darkclaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lol.

I actually agree more with Beo. With the exception of the really cheap bot which is fun, bots should be nothing more than a great way to test emps. The thing is though, many people are not that great at the game at all, and need something to beat. So naturally, they go for the bot(which sadly could still offer a challange). Removing the bots is a bit rash, since they could be developed to be more effective. I think having more effective bots would be great, but I'm not so sure Dan could go to the point of having a bot adapt skills. Even the bots are the games you have to actually PAY for aren't that great, and any good player owns them. But I suppose, the fair bots could be a lot better.

--------------------
-SoV

Posts: 343 | From: Sewers | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Darkclaw
Healthy Member
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darkclaw   Email Darkclaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And, an added suggestion. Add on a replay feature for Arcadia. There have been many of times when I wanted to make a replay, esp. after beating soemone in 2:43 seconds! I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to incoorporate one, and all the new games of today have it [Razz]

/a hopes Dan wants to fit in with the hip new games crowd.

--------------------
-SoV

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
A replay could actually be reasonable by saving the packets and the order they are sent or received to be replayed by the engine later.

--------------------

Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
A duplicate post of my response from other thread:

quote:
I just thought, those tourneys will not work if you cannot enforce people to use a specific empire. Of course you can always kick idiots who try to use stupid empires, but that's always a pain in the ass.

So here's a suggestion: How about giving the masters the power to enforce players to use only the empire determined by the master?

--------------------
                                                                                   Also racism.

abyaly
Healthy Member
Member # 4498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abyaly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Hesa, a vech/plane/soldier cannot produce units. Bomber Beta uses a mobile building [Wink]

Ochibi, you can modify building range by using a building of a different size. Also, on the topic of flying buildings. If you copy the building image and create a row of 16 duplicate pictures, you can use this as the aircraft image of your flying building.

--------------------
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Posts: 152 | From: yesterday | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
quote:
Bomber Beta uses a mobile building;)
*slaps himself*

--------------------
                                                                                   Also racism.

abyaly
Healthy Member
Member # 4498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abyaly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Beo, chess is more strategically complex than empyrion >.>

--------------------
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

abyaly
Healthy Member
Member # 4498

I have a really silly empire idea for the next release. I think you'll find it corrupts the basic morals of empyrion the way many of my empires in the past have done. Each player will start out with 3 invisible and nameless buildings in addition to some sort of con-yard equivalent. The con yard equivalent will produce a small amount of money (lets say around 10 credits per second). They will also start out will some units designed to drain the player of all their money very quickly, and these units will then destroy themselves (I will be sure to include enough of these to account for Dan's "extra" money). Now here's the fun part: each of these 3 invisible buildings cycles through 3 phases by making use of decay. All of the military units in the empire will require some combination of these three units to be produced (there are 27 combinations). Each time one of these buildings moves to a different phase in the cycle, the construction list will be repopulated with a new list of units. For your convenience, I will make sure to give all of these units the same names as the previous list of units in the building menu.

The end result is this:
When you make a unit (an infantry, for example), you are in fact making one of a possible 27 variants of that infantry. You have no way of knowing what variant you are building.
I will include units that produce money (and then destroy themselves) in the available units. But some of the variants of these will take away money instead.
So when you build something, you dont really know what you're getting.. its fairly arbitrary.

This is the plan for the empire. The number of units will be small.. but at the same time it will be many. Hesa encouraged me to post this here because I can't make this until the next release of empyrion due to the large number of prereqs involved.

So, any thoughts?

--------------------

Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flamelord   Author's Homepage   Email Flamelord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Devious flipping madman.

I love it.

--------------------
Constantinople! We shall never forget your zany barge poles!

Posts: 4232 | From: Gresham, OR | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Darkclaw
Healthy Member
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Sounds fun. Sounds liek luck to. But then again, to make sure one doesnt drain money, just build one to make sure you don't keep building them [Wink]

--------------------
-SoV

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
I didn't understand what you meant by # of prereqs... is there unreleased functionality you are waiting for?

pardon my bad memory if so.

--------------------

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
quote:
For next release:

* units may now have FOUR required units (as opposed to 2)

* weapon ranges increased

* max morph auto-decay timeout increased from 600 to 10000 seconds

* buildings and factories get simple drop shadows. (that was 3 hours of my life right there)

---

Specifically this was to support Hesacon in his ability to have a unit given at start of game, which was required for all subsequent construction, but which would morph out of existence after awhile, providing a 'window of construction' at the front of the game.

Yep, we've been waiting!

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
dang! I'll get right on it

--------------------

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
I can't wait [Smile]

--------------------

Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
quote:
Beo, chess is more strategically complex than empyrion >.>
What I meant was in terms of bots. Chess has only ONE determined sets of pieces recognized everywhere in the world, so the bots know what they are doing when moving pieces. In Emp, however, bots don't seem to know what's wrong with building too many air towers, or how many power plants they will actually ever need. A better example, they can't really tell the difference between a Research Facility and a Genome Lab.

What I meant to say was, though, that Chess does have only so many already established strategies, however ways you play it. Every Chess players start their game with moving the pawn by the King/Queen, because any other moves are not practical. Although I agree that Chess is more strategically complex, there are only so many choices available when making a move, therefore less stupid moves bot will make.

In Emp, though, surely there are more choices a player can make which bots can't. A bot doesn't know how to "ally" with others (they don't need to), or know any other ways to construct its base than as it is. Even by looking at this single aspect, there are many decisions - where to deploy a ConYard, whether to have buildings spread far from each other or build them close to each other, etc. etc. - all of which a bot cannot decide. There are just too many things a player can do but bots can't in Emp.

[ 12-20-2006, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Beoghztt ]

--------------------
                                                                                   Also racism.

Darkclaw
Healthy Member
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
I didn't check to see if I already said this, but even the games that are getting payed to be good, don't have very good bots. Sure the bots are WAY better than Dan's, but Dan would never be able to make a bot capable of holding its own against a veteren without having some sort of cheating on.

--------------------
-SoV

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
But you know you're good if you can beat someone who is seriously cheating!

--------------------

abyaly
Healthy Member
Member # 4498

Unless its a bot [Big Grin]

--------------------

Darkclaw
Healthy Member
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
I know Im good because 2 of me managed to beat aby tonight. [Smile]

--------------------
-SoV

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.