Synthetic Reality Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Other Games » Arcadia » Empyrion Dev/Release Notes (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Empyrion Dev/Release Notes
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Empyrion 0046 Released
----------------------

With previously mentioned changes.

This required a new release of Arcadia to go with it...

--------------------
He knows when you are sleeping.

Posts: 10643 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
abyaly
Healthy Member
Member # 4498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abyaly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
awesomeness [Big Grin]
I will make you glad you did it, dan.

--------------------
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Posts: 152 | From: yesterday | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Darkclaw
Healthy Member
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darkclaw   Email Darkclaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps a good new feature to add would be the option to set a max amount of units you can build. So for instance, you are forced to only build up to 40 mammoths. This could be a fun featuere to require more depth in empires and more strategy as well. Of course make it an option, I would not want that to be a requirement >.>

Uh yeah this was suggested by Grego.

--------------------
-SoV

Posts: 343 | From: Sewers | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hesacon   Author's Homepage   Email Hesacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two things this time...

Export empire option

Not everyone can fetch off me when I'm on my router in my room, and it's a real hassle to plug into the wall. Several other people like Aby are unfetchable anyway. What I would like is an option to copy all the art, wav, and empire files associated with an empire, and copy them to their own folder. This would make sending empires through email, IMs, ect. a lot easier to do.

Empyrion Scenario Setup window

It's good that it can't be closed while you are setting up a game, but if you enter or re-enter a server with a game already going, there is no reason to keep it up. It's a pain to have the extra window there!

--------------------
SoV: Exalted Devout Oracle | World Developer | The Black Guard
Outside is just a prank older kids tell younger kids at Internet Camp

Posts: 9482 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Woo Hoi
Healthy Member
Member # 7262

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Woo Hoi   Email Woo Hoi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i suggest remove shadow

--------------------
My name officially changed to HKWH due to security reason.
http://h1.ripway.com/hkwh/

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hesacon   Author's Homepage   Email Hesacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

ShadowOchibi
Member # 7246

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShadowOchibi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... It's been... how long since i've checked back? well, things seem to be going great!
Deadly Headshot
Compulsive Member
Member # 6098

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deadly Headshot   Author's Homepage   Email Deadly Headshot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
i suggest remove shadow

I think he's reffering to FROM UNDER BUILDINGS. Need certainly to be able to toggle that separately.

quote:
Export empire option

Not everyone can fetch off me when I'm on my router in my room, and it's a real hassle to plug into the wall. Several other people like Aby are unfetchable anyway. What I would like is an option to copy all the art, wav, and empire files associated with an empire, and copy them to their own folder. This would make sending empires through email, IMs, ect. a lot easier to do.

That would be fantastic!

BTW, I just realised that this topic spawned emp!

--------------------
"Carpé Agnus"
{GS} Pwnz
I like reviving old topics, it makes me feel needed...

{GS} is dead, sorry.

I've finally changed my av!

Posts: 2885 | From: Great Britain | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note: in next release:

-

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
you know, as to fetchability, the only thing you SHOULD have to do is set up port forwarding, which is not all that much of a nightmare any more.

I should verify in the next release of Arcadia that is true.

--------------------

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
I honestly don't know what ports to forward if Arcadia works fine online without the forward.

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
OK

First let me point out that, as always, GuppyMan was entirely correct (as were others, but GM gets first credit)

It was, in fact, *impossible* to be Arcadia-Fetchable (empires, maps, etc) if you were downstream of a NAT. Completely and Absolutely.

In next release, it is possible, so long as your port forwarding is set up.

---

Note to HEASCONA. If your router is 'smart but not too smart' you should be able to play WoS and Arcadia on other people's MIX servers without needing to muck with your router at all (no port forwarding).

However, you almost definitely (depending on your router's level of braniacity) need to port forward if you want to:

* share skins
* share empires/maps
* host your own MIX server

Now in my case, since my wireless router is also my wireless DHCP and I can predict the range of local IP addresses it will assign, I just pre-forwarded several ranges.

Such that if my laptop is assigned xx.xx.xx.102, then I tell MIX to listen on 8288 and WoS/Arcadia to start with ports 8200

the operative thing being the '2'

Then I told the router to port forward the range 8200-8299 to xx.xx.xx.102

etc.

Anyway, never have to muck with the router again, and can host as many servers as I like, even on my Nintendo DS.

[ 04-28-2007, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
I swear you change my name every time you post it [Razz]

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Sorry HESOCAN [Smile]

(when I capitalize it, I misspelled it on purpose)

ANYWAY,

* So I found why a second copy of Arcadia could not ping for server list... fixed that.

* Then spent some time looking into why Vista didn't like arcadia speech any more.

Turns out it doesn't come with the truespeech codec, which you can get here:

http://www.bytescribe.com/downloads/tsp_codec_install.exe

But perhaps the writing is on the wall and I had better extend support for other codecs.

thing is that I have always liked the truspeech codec.

[ 04-28-2007, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beoghztt   Author's Homepage   Email Beoghztt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Export empire option
I find Publish Empire option (like for the WoS worlds) more useful.

--------------------
This signature contains a lot of foul languages.
                                                                                   Also racism.

Posts: 2227 | From: Yokohama, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
quote:
(when I capitalize it, I misspelled it on purpose)
I figured SAMPSON [Razz]

--------------------

Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beoghztt   Author's Homepage   Email Beoghztt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luke, my name is behogogotz.

--------------------
                                                                                   Also racism.

Deadly Headshot
Compulsive Member
Member # 6098

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deadly Headshot   Author's Homepage   Email Deadly Headshot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, the main reason I would want the export empire thing would be to upload my emps to my site. At the moment, I've only got 1 up (I had 2, but the host shut down), & I've had to do it by having multiple zip files (one for each section). This takes time to set up, but more importantly, time for the user to extract. If emp had a thing that mad a self-extracting zip that put all data into the correct folders (yes, I realise that's a difficult feature, but it could always be outsourced to Guppy or someone else who knows arc pretty much inside out) that would be perfect.

This is just a suggestion, and I realise running the SR corporate empire must be extremely hard work, etc, so this doesn't have to be implemented (yet, and in this form).

--------------------
"Carpé Agnus"
{GS} Pwnz

{GS} is dead, sorry.

Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
Yup, but, with absolutely no intention to demand anything, I'm pretty sure quite a number of people want the same thing.

Myself among them. I *can* just look inside the INI files (note the plural) to find out what BMP/WAV files to ZIP, it is really hell of a work. One or two emps won't bother me. About 10 or 20, yes, it does.

Then I may just forget about ZIPping all the old empires no one plays anymore, but I somehow feel compelled to upload them to my server space.

This really cuts down on filesizes and incomplete files, too. It is not a bad suggestion at all.

--------------------
                                                                                   Also racism.

Deadly Headshot
Compulsive Member
Member # 6098

Member Rated:
I counted how many emps I have on my machine. They (obviously) aren't all mine, and I can't remember the exact number, but is was about 30-40...

--------------------
"Carpé Agnus"
{GS} Pwnz

{GS} is dead, sorry.

Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
Well, it's pretty unlikely that you would ever ZIP up all of the empires you have (I had 76), in which case all you would have to do is just ZIP all the buildings/units/sfx you have anyways.

I picked out 17 of the empires that I think they deserved to be revived, and that's still a lot of work.

--------------------
                                                                                   Also racism.

Deadly Headshot
Compulsive Member
Member # 6098

Member Rated:
I'm only doing my own as I'd need the original authors' permission to do more.

--------------------
"Carpé Agnus"
{GS} Pwnz

{GS} is dead, sorry.

Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
Although I've noticed this bug for quite a long while now, I'll post this now since no one else has mentioned it.

The weapon animation seems to halt at certain situations. The "certain situation" includes when a weapon did not kill a unit with that hit. This is most notable with healing weapons, since they never kill.
I also noticed animation being halted even when the unit is killed, and I don't know what's causing this, but I'm damn sure it gets cut down when the unit did NOT die.

Maybe this "glitch" isn't much of a big deal for normal Geezers or small gun weapons, it certainly ruins the rather lengthy healing weapons I made.
I know I'm asking for something no one else really wants, but I'm glad should you find this useful and fix it in the future. Of course, this doesn't have to be the highest priority, so I won't mind this being put off for years.

Thank you.

[edit]

OH! I just noticed my weapon animations are included in Empyrion by default!! Thank you!!

[ 05-05-2007, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: Beoghztt ]

--------------------
                                                                                   Also racism.

Deadly Headshot
Compulsive Member
Member # 6098

Member Rated:
Could building animations be supported?

--------------------
"Carpé Agnus"
{GS} Pwnz

{GS} is dead, sorry.

{G}Ian
Member # 7504

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for {G}Ian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would be great is a melee type weapon, as well as ranged.

--------------------
...fighting dragons and crossing swords...

Posts: 8 | From: That one glorified desert. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Coel
Member # 7812

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coel   Email Coel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...seems my other account got deleted. Anways

-Yes a melee type attack would be nice.

-Also when someone runs on you, you should get a win. Or their should be some kind of mark that shows there a runner.

-Also it would be nice for making emp sprites that you could choose the 16 format or a 4 format.

Posts: 11 | From: Wichita Falls, TX | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
{GS}grego
Member # 6684

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for {GS}grego   Email {GS}grego   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok so heres a good thought

1.unit limit=being able to set that u can only make say 2 of this unit.

2.a way to backup a empire into a seprate folder automaticly

2.A.a way to keep track of version,kinda like how it says last mod,add a line says version blabla.

3.water units?lol

i would love to see 1 made true at least 2 and 3 are kinda hopefull wants..

--------------------
my site
freewebs.com/greg096

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
I honestly don't see any value in adding water units.

--------------------

{GS}grego
Member # 6684

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for {GS}grego   Email {GS}grego   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well there allready there...

but dan has never coded the water or the units themselves...

--------------------
my site
freewebs.com/greg096

Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
DH:

If that means totally changing the building sprite format and expanding filesize to 16 times as much, no, a solid no.

Coel:

Melee/Ranged is possible, just use guns with short range. I think I've done it before with LoS.

grego:

1. Agreed. I've asking for this for years.
2. Or do it manually. INI edit the LastMod tag and add versions there.
3. I remember Dan saying he won't implement water, as that would also mean adding an additional layers just for watercrafts, which is a crud because Dan would have to manage with collisions with ground units, etc.

[ 06-02-2007, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: Beoghztt ]

--------------------
                                                                                   Also racism.

{GS}grego
Member # 6684

Member Rated:
well for 2 im thinking this way

1 u could back it up before u edit it and when u release it.

and the version line idea is to help keep empires that have been messed with by noobs.

--------------------
my site
freewebs.com/greg096

Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
I know it's a pain to do, but I usually edit the COPY of the empire I want to edit, then rename it and INI edit the History tag to manually add version, and release it.

To spoonfeed you:

1. Open Arcadia\Toys\Toy4\Empires
2. Ctrl-drag your empire to COPY it
3. Rename it to something else
4. Edit it
5. When done, overwrite the original and rename it back
6. Open INI file
7. Locate the History Tag, which looks like:
code:
[History]
CreatedBy=Jul 31 2006 00:37:32, by Sho "Beoghztt" Murooka, GS 1466. Copyright 2002-2006.
lastMod=Aug 03 2006 12:33:47 by Beoghztt (GS 1466)

8. Add version number to the lastMod entry
9. Save and close
10. Release it

[ 06-04-2007, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: Beoghztt ]

--------------------
                                                                                   Also racism.

Deadly Headshot
Compulsive Member
Member # 6098

Member Rated:
Beo: There could be a tickbox in the unit setup to say "Animate this image", and it could work thusly:

At the moment, a unit's image has 16 squares in a line.
However, animated versions could have lower rows for each hi
screen, in a grid. Buildings would simply be a column.

.: 0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-A-B-C-D-E-F
becomes:
00-01-02-03-04-05-06-07-08-09-0A-0B-0C-0D-0E-0F
10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-1A-1B-1C-1D-1E-1F
20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-29-2A-2B-2C-2D-2E-2F
30-31-32-33-34-35-36-37-38-39-3A-3B-3C-3D-3E-3F
Where the preceding number is the screen number, the animation being comprised of 4 screens (stages). Buildings would be just the 1st column...

... I hope this is clear...

--------------------
"Carpé Agnus"
{GS} Pwnz

{GS} is dead, sorry.

{G}Ian
Member # 7504

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for {G}Ian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melee isn't guns with short range though.
And heres a thought: Why not an optional attacking frame? Soldiers would lift their guns, tanks would have barrels flash, etc.

--------------------
...fighting dragons and crossing swords...

Posts: 8 | From: That one glorified desert. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
Where would you cram that extra frame, though?

And you could use an additional weapon/sfx to MAKE IT LOOK like a sword or whatnots. I would provide you with the sfx (I made it a long time ago), but I don't have the weapon ready at the moment so...

--------------------
                                                                                   Also racism.

Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
...But I lied!

I kinda rushed through this, but here's the Melee and Ranged weapon test emp.
Make sure to read the INI file.

Just to clarify, this also includes grego and DH's suggestions, worked around.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8w1tggt3ij1

[ 06-04-2007, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Beoghztt ]

--------------------
                                                                                   Also racism.

ShadowOchibi
Member # 7246

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShadowOchibi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a question here. The commandos start out with 25 units. I tried to make an empire that only starts out with units, but it only loads some of them. What are the potential problems?
krinkleman
Healthy Member
Member # 6800

Icon 1 posted      Profile for krinkleman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've got a question here. The commandos start out with 25 units. I tried to make an empire that only starts out with units, but it only loads some of them. What are the potential problems?
Perhaps you missed the "start with this many" option on some of the units? It's the only possibility I can see, though I don't play Empyrion that much anymore, so you might want to ask someone more experienced.

[ 09-20-2007, 04:51 AM: Message edited by: krinkleman ]

Zepros
Member # 5027

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zepros     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The maximum amount of units one colour is allowed to start out with is 50 units.

[ 09-20-2007, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Zepros ]

ShadowOchibi
Member # 7246

Rate Member
This will be a really long post, so start scrolling down if you're not going to be helping me. ^^;

I'm not going to list the Commandos' empire file because i'm assuming we all have it.

Final Resistance:

[dir]
num=9
u_0=Mobile Base (Unused)
u_1=Tanking Vehicle
u_2=Space Marine
u_3=Cannon Mech
u_4=Wraith Tank
u_5=Arclite Siege Tank
u_6=Light Scout
u_7=Fortress Bomber
u_8=Fighter Jet

[u_1]
m0=units\Advanced Tank base grayscale.bmp
ty=V
sp=60
hp=16000
cn=2
w1=M
wp1=-200
wr1=200
wc1=0
wf1=1
wb1=0
ws1=2
vi=400

[u_2]
ty=S
w1=R
sp=75
hp=1600
wr1=150
vi=200
cn=5
m0=units\jarjar32.bmp
wp1=100
wc1=0
wf1=0
wb1=10
ws1=2

[u_3]
wr1=250
vi=350
hp=3200
cn=5
w1=C
m0=units\miko48.bmp
wp1=250
sp=60
ws1=2
wb1=20
wf1=0
wc1=0

[u_4]
wr1=300
vi=450
hp=4000
w1=E
cn=4
m0=units\ulf2 inverted.bmp
wp1=250
sp=60
wb1=50
wf1=0
wc1=0
ws1=2

[u_5]
wr1=600
hp=6400
w1=I
vi=700
cn=2
m0=units\inverted - camoTracks48.bmp
wp1=750
wc1=4
sp=50
ws1=1
wb1=100
wf1=0

[u_0]
ty=F
sp=15
hp=4000

[u_8]
hp=6400
w1=A
wr1=300
vi=450
cn=2
m0=units\F15camo48.bmp
sp=80
wp1=200
wf1=0
ws1=2
wb1=100
wc1=0

[u_7]
hp=12800
w1=B
wr1=50
vi=200
cn=2
m0=units\stealth64.bmp
sp=60
wp1=150
wf1=0
ws1=0
wb1=100
wc1=0

[u_6]
hp=1600
sp=100
w1=T
wr1=150
vi=200
cn=3
m0=units\F16-Navy48.bmp
wp1=75
wf1=0
wb1=15
ws1=2
wc1=0

So far, i've compared it to Commandos's file and i haven't noticed anything that seemed significant.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.