Synthetic Reality Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Well of Souls » Well of Souls Public Beta » WoS Development Notes (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: WoS Development Notes
Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hesacon   Author's Homepage   Email Hesacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What software you using?

--------------------
SoV: Exalted Devout Oracle | World Developer | The Black Guard
Outside is just a prank older kids tell younger kids at Internet Camp

Posts: 9509 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Darangen
Compulsive Member
Member # 780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darangen   Email Darangen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sound Forge 7.0

--------------------
It's ok, I like girls.
Lea, a world in development.

Posts: 2464 | From: Not of this world | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Darangen
Compulsive Member
Member # 780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darangen   Email Darangen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing that'd be really cool..

Splash damage spells.

Say, the player casts thunder storm on an enemy, and there are 2 enemies around that enemy, and 2 other enemies far away from that enemy. The 2 near the enemy would receive damage from the spell, but not as much as the main target, say maybe half or 1/4th, and the 2 far away would be unaffected.

I'd shoot for an area/range option too, but I'd be happy even if it was just a default setting too.

--------------------
It's ok, I like girls.

Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beoghztt   Author's Homepage   Email Beoghztt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can get wave's down almost as low as mp3 without losing quality, but I don't think everyone else can without the proper software.
Yeah, that's true also. While OGG is better as a game sound file than MP3 in a lot of aspects, it surely lacks the universal versatility MP3 has. When I was not familiar with OGGs, I found it a pain in the butt to look for a software that even supports OGGs.

The ideal would be that OGG will be supported by many of the programs around, but until that happens, it'd be good for WoS to support both MP3 and OGG.

--------------------
This signature contains a lot of foul languages.
                                                                                   Also racism.

Posts: 2227 | From: Yokohama, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Darangen
Compulsive Member
Member # 780

There's a pretty big bug in missions..

I have missions that sometimes require the same trophies as other, previously completed, missions required. I didn't think this would be a problem until I went to test everything out.

When I accepted a missions that required a 20 bear paws, just like a missions before it required 20 bear paws as well, the missions was automatically deemed complete, and I could collect my reward without getting 20 more bear paws. So in essence, the mission just accepted that I previously had 20 bear paws, even though I no longer had any, and gave me my reward.

[Are you sure about that? I could see a situation where if you had two uncollected missions, both requiring 20 bear paws, and you had 20 bear paws in your trophy bag, that the mission description for both would indicate you had met the requiremenets, but as soon as you collected on one of them, your bag would have 20 paws removed from it, and the other one would suddenly declare you no longer qualified. Though I guess it's possible I do something silly and mark the missing complete as soon as you display it (with requirements met) as opposed to when you collect the reward.) -s]

Also, not really a bug, well maybe, but if mission xp grants the player a level, they don't get their hp and mp restored, and a message isn't broadcast letting players know they gained a level.

[ 06-23-2008, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
It's ok, I like girls.

Darangen
Compulsive Member
Member # 780

About elemental weapons.

They're great for weapon based classes like sword users, fist users.. most of the classes actually. But there's one class that's left out of the happy "I get a bonus from my weapon" loop..

The mage.

Would it be at all possible to increase a mage's damage with spells of the element their staff is set to? Like, a fire staff would increase their fire element spell damage? Unless of course the monster was a fire element too, then it would decrease it even more.

--------------------
It's ok, I like girls.

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hesacon   Author's Homepage   Email Hesacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rofl Dar.

http://www.synthetic-reality.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001114;p=3#004265

--------------------

Darangen
Compulsive Member
Member # 780

quote:
[Are you sure about that? I could see a situation where if you had two uncollected missions, both requiring 20 bear paws, and you had 20 bear paws in your trophy bag, that the mission description for both would indicate you had met the requiremenets, but as soon as you collected on one of them, your bag would have 20 paws removed from it, and the other one would suddenly declare you no longer qualified. Though I guess it's possible I do something silly and mark the missing complete as soon as you display it (with requirements met) as opposed to when you collect the reward.) -s]
I'm sure. The second mission requires that they complete the first mission, so they don't even have both missions at the same time. I've gone back and tested this 3 separate times and all 3 times as soon as I picked up the second mission, I could collect the reward, regardless if I had the trophies or not.

These are the missions in my missions.ini file:

code:

[3]
Name=Bear Paws
Qualify=V1
Desc=Bear Paws help us make many different types of clothing and materials. We could always use more.
Trophies=20x2
RewardGold=500
RewardLevel=10.4
RewardPP=4000
AcceptMsg=Thank you! Bears like the forests of Solareno.
AbandonMsg=There are plenty others to replace you..
FootNote=This quest has been completed.

[4]
Name=More Bear Paws
Qualify=J3,-V15
Desc=We need more paws!
Trophies=20X2
RewardGold=500
RewardLevel=10.4
RewardPP=4000
AcceptMsg=Thanks! Please bring them back quickly.
AbandonMsg=Oh well..
FootNote=This quest has been completed.

As soon as I accept "More Bear Paws", I can collect the reward right away without needing 20 bear paws.

----------

Ok, I also just tried changing the number of bear paws required for "More Bear Paws", and it still gave me the same problem, it was still complete as soon as I accepted it. Here's an image:

-

[I notice the second mission is using a CAPITAL X... try a lower case x, just to see.

Yes, I am sure that's it, the code is case sensitive there:

code:
char *ptr = strchr(token, 'x');

so it is resulting in a necessary count of '0' instead of 20. -s]

Okay, yes, that fixed it [Smile] .

[ 06-26-2008, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Darangen ]

--------------------
It's ok, I like girls.

Darangen
Compulsive Member
Member # 780

a96 broke Server Side Variables.

Flamelord and I have discovered that SSV's that worked in a95 are no longer working. Here's the script I've been trying to get working, just as a test:

code:
 SET ssv1, 1
SET_SERVER_VAR test, camp, #<ssv1>
WAIT 2
GET_SERVER_VAR ssv2, test, camp
N: ssv1 is #<ssv1> and ssv2 is #<ssv2>
END

ssv2 *should* be reporting back as "1". I tried this on my own server, with "Allow Server Variables" checked. The mixVariableCache file was never made, but the local cache was made (variableCache) in the root wos folder. However, the values were blank because the mix server had no information.

Apparently Flamelord has a script he's been working on for a while, and it worked mostly in a95, but is no longer working in a96 as well.

--------------------
It's ok, I like girls.

Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flamelord   Author's Homepage   Email Flamelord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty crazy watching Virtual Scenes go through the packing function properly, run through the uploading function properly, and have no cache files change.

Methinks it's a tad borked.

--------------------
Constantinople! We shall never forget your zany barge poles!

Posts: 4232 | From: Gresham, OR | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you will find that SSVs work fine, so long as you have /versioned your world. They specifically refuse to work in unversioned (or out-of-version) worlds, to avoid the obvious issues from modders.

--------------------
He knows when you are sleeping.

Posts: 10752 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flamelord   Author's Homepage   Email Flamelord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That won't do any good. Modders can still reversion the world (and how would it detect out-of-version, anyway?), so all you've really done (since I know that this is new to A96) is slow down the debugging process for all scripts involving SSVs.

Any chance of a reversal in A97?

[this really is not new to A96, honest -s]

[ 06-27-2008, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

Darangen
Compulsive Member
Member # 780

Yeah.. having to version our worlds every time we want to test out SSVs makes it really hard to test out scenes that involve them.

Would it be possible to make it so that if you're in solo mode it will work regardless and just send it to the WoS\variableCache folder? That way we can test things out before we go live with them. If I understand correctly, the ini's in that folder don't actually send out to anyone, it's just a local cache of the server variables for faster reference.

[Hmm, if it's true that SSVs 'give the appearance of working in solo mode' that would be an acceptable compromise. -s]

It's a really big deal that out-of-date worlds be able to use ssv's in solo mode (and solo mode only), for world developers, or at least give the appearance of working in solo mode so we can test out scripts to make sure they'll actually work when we actually publish the world, or publish a new version.

[ 06-28-2008, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Darangen ]

--------------------
It's ok, I like girls.

Darangen
Compulsive Member
Member # 780

This is a long shot, but I'm going to ask anyway.

Spherical Maps.

Basically a map would be a sphere instead of a flat land. When a player reaches the "top" of the map it rolls around and they basically continue from the bottom of the map. Same with left and right. Basically emulating a sphere, like a planet or whatever.

--------------------
It's ok, I like girls.

nOoB
Compulsive Member
Member # 1147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nOoB   Email nOoB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the sphere idea

--------------------
Avalon

Posts: 2100 | From: State College | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dabir
Member # 7974

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dabir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, if they went off the top or bottom of a map they'd have to come in exactly as far from as the centre as they went out but on the opposite side of the map. And top/bottom would be horrible to visualise, let alone make look good. Cylindrical, however, might just work.
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this is usually done in a very simplistic way, where it is not a true sphere but just a 'tiled' image (the map image DOES have to be seamless on all edges, of course, which is most easily accomplished by having an archipelago of islands with water being the seamless part.)

The hassle for me, of course, is that I have to basically render the map image (and decorations) four times, or more if the map size is allowed to be less than the screen portal size.

Plus there is a small amount of math to deal with issues that come up when two objects are near each other visually, but actually on opposite sides of a map border. When you click to go there, you want it to find the short path, as opposed to walking the opposite direction.

It's not a HUGE deal, I've done it a few times already. Rocket Club does it (and there it is particularly nasty since projectile weapons have to intelligently cross borders and it is sadly not as simple as just "AND <mask>" (which is what I was pretty much able to get away with in WarPath).).

Anyway, it's possible, but no promises :-)

How were you planning on making a tile-friendly map? Traditionally one takes a terrain map and then 'reflects it' to make an image 4x larger where every border is a reflection. This can look OK, but not if the terrain map has a lot of shadows (since the sun angle will reflect inappropriately as well). And usually the human eye can see the pattern. Not so bad for a huge map where usually you see less than 25% of the full image. Probably not very nice during the WoS map zoom-in at start of world.

--------------------
He knows when you are sleeping.

Posts: 10752 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
Darangen
Compulsive Member
Member # 780

I was thinking more an option to make a map tiled, not all maps, just an arg in maps.txt that we could set to make it tile.

What I was going to use it for is an over-world map. Basically, my world in development has a bunch of smaller, tied together maps, more like zones of a larger continent, and there are other continents as well. At a certain point, the player would be able to access this over-world map for faster travel speed, essentially flying in the sky to go to different parts of the world. I just thought it'd be cool to be able to tile that over-world map so that it really would seem like flying around the world and not just inside a square. So the map I have prepared for that has water all around the edges and several continents in the water. It should tile nicely.

--------------------
It's ok, I like girls.

Darangen
Compulsive Member
Member # 780

/doldrum bug:

Doldrums does not account for monster 0. I set my monster 0 exp arg to 15, and it still goes by the 100% value in doldrums.

--------------------
It's ok, I like girls.

Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
That sounds like a messy way to do a sphere. No, I can't think of a better one. Mercator projection isn't fun near the poles.

--------------------

Darangen
Compulsive Member
Member # 780

A few more map flag requests:

Double physical damage (2x damage with hands)
Double magic damage (2x damage with spells)
Half physical damage (1/2 damage with hands)
Half magic damage (1/2 damage with spells)

Half Mana Cost would be nice too, as well as
Double Mana Cost

--------------------
It's ok, I like girls.

Darangen
Compulsive Member
Member # 780

Map flag 32768 doesn't seem to work when not in a pk attack. I set a map with this "No_Stun" flag and went stun happy stunning everything in sight.

If that could be fixed that'd be great.. but also..

Could we get a monster flag that will not allow them to be stunned? I want monsters that can't be stunned, but can stun players, and I'm figuring that the map flag option would disable both.

--------------------
It's ok, I like girls.

Makarei
Verbose Member
Member # 1646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makarei   Author's Homepage   Email Makarei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TAKE P doesn't work. neither does Ditto. But GIVE P does..

--

[ooops... fixed in next release. there is some small chance (untested) that "GIVE P-100" might work to take P -s]

[ 09-15-2008, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Posts: 1040 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Small bug in the hotkey bar that appears at the bottom of a scene. If you go to the web browser and then back to the game, the entire bar disappears. It reappears if you re-enter a scene, though.

--------------------

Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
quote:
Timers are used to generate timer events, which wake an ENDed scene back up after some number of seconds. You can specify up to ten timers at once (using IDs 0-9). Timers ONLY take effect if the scene has ENDed, and their only effect is to wake the scene back up at the specified label.

; Let's change the weather every 10 seconds
TIMER 3, 10
; And say something every 30.5 seconds
TIMER 8, 30.5
; Don't forget the scene has to have already ENDed
END

@timerEvent3

;Pick a random new weather
WEATHER %R9
; Restart the timer and end the scene again
TIMER 3, 10
END

@timerEvent8

1: Ha, how do you like the weather!
; Don't forget to restart the timer, and END the scene again
TIMER 8, 30.5
END

Timer Cookies:

#<num.timerLengthN> returns length of timer N in milliseconds

#<num.timerLeftN> returns number of msec left in timer N (before it will trigger.. assuming you END again before that)

Special Timer Tricks:

TIMER N, 0 <-- This turns off timer N
TIMER -1 <-- This turns off ALL timers.

Those two timer events don't work, because they're backwards! @eventTimerN does work, though. [Smile]

--------------------

zim zim
Veteran Member
Member # 1233

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zim zim   Author's Homepage   Email zim zim   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about some way to cap characters levels until they meet some kind of requirement, like completing a quest for example. Maybe include in the levels.txt token required to obtain next level listed after the class's level name.

I think this would improve gameplay for worlds and prevent players from power leveling and sweeping through quests. It would definately help out low level boss types and actually make them more of a challenge to beat as opposed to a level 99/100 one hitting it with no problem.

Posts: 550 | From: USA-WI | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beoghztt   Author's Homepage   Email Beoghztt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the golem class in Aerianell already has that.

--------------------
                                                                                   Also racism.

zim zim
Veteran Member
Member # 1233

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zim zim   Author's Homepage   Email zim zim   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aerianell's golem classes uses class morphing. The classes have their HP/MP setup to not increase when leveled. I'm reffering to having a classes max level capped off until they accomplished something. I figured adding a "Required Token" after the level name genders would be a good way to cap a characters level easily.

(Using Evergreen for example)
An example on how this would work would be something like this:

Have the hand training scene in Macgyver Castle give T9001 when completed. If the player doesn't complete the hand training scene then they can't level any higher than level 5. After they complete it they can go on to the next level with no problem, until they reached another level with a required token. Of course requiring token 0 would mean "no token required".

(Class Example)
100, 0, 20, 0, "Sword-User", 10, 1
DESCRIPTION "Warriors are often..."
AUTO_MAX 20, 3759, 10, 1186, 20
START_ABILITY 0, 0, 10, 0, 0
DEFAULT_SKIN adventurer, adventurer
101, 0, 1, 0, "Barbarian", 0
105, 0, 2, 0, "Fighter", 9001
110, 0, 5, 0, "Soldier", 9002
120, 0, 8, 10, "Warrior"
130, 0, 10, 0, "Ranger"
140, 0, 14, 10, "Dragoon"
150, 0, 22, 0, "Knight"
160, 0, 28, 20, "Templar"
170, 0, 36, 0, "Paladin"
180, 0, 50, 20, "Conqueror"
190, 0, 65, 0, "Emperor||Emperess"

Doing this would make players face boss type monsters at a certain level. Which of course would require a more skill in order to defeat it/them. This wouldn't be just simply capping off max HP/MP/Stats and rely on class morphing to improve your character. It would however allow more classes to be supported in a world as opposed to class morphing.

Overall it would use one class as opposed to using multiple classes. Having only 88 classes possible is definately a low number when relying on class morphing.

Oh ya, this isn't a replacement to class morphing in any way. Class morphing can do things that may idea can't do, like improve max hand/magic/HP/MP/Stats.

Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
quote:
Aerianell's golem classes uses class morphing. The classes have their HP/MP setup to not increase when leveled. I'm reffering to having a classes max level capped off until they accomplished something.
I believe golems only go up to certain levels (10 for the first one, I think) before they are allowed to morph into the higher class, at which point they can start leveling again.

--------------------
                                                                                   Also racism.

zim zim
Veteran Member
Member # 1233

Member Rated:
quote:
I believe golems only go up to certain levels (10 for the first one, I think) before they are allowed to morph into the higher class, at which point they can start leveling again
Yes they are allowed to morph every 10 levels, but they can also choose not to morph and still level up. This idea would stop them from leveling until they got a specified token.

However this isn't for classes like aerianell's golems. Which is why I listed evergreens warrior class in my example. This is more for stand alone classes that don't morph.

--------------------
I'll be around here until the plug gets pulled.
http://flashzz.webs.com/

Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
quote:
(Class Example)
100, 0, 20, 0, "Sword-User", 10, 1
DESCRIPTION "Warriors are often..."
AUTO_MAX 20, 3759, 10, 1186, 20
START_ABILITY 0, 0, 10, 0, 0
DEFAULT_SKIN adventurer, adventurer
101, 0, 1, 0, "Barbarian", 0
110, 0, 5, 0, "Soldier", 9002
120, 0, 8, 10, "Warrior"
130, 0, 10, 0, "Ranger"
140, 0, 14, 10, "Dragoon"
150, 0, 22, 0, "Knight"
160, 0, 28, 20, "Templar"
170, 0, 36, 0, "Paladin"
180, 0, 50, 20, "Conqueror"
190, 0, 65, 0, "Emperor||Emperess"

I don't recall that tokens in that range work, but the more important thing is that your proposal makes no sense as far as the placement of the requirement string. It should be on the level which requires it, not the previous one.

And what happens to the extra XP they earn while they aren't leveling up?

--------------------

zim zim
Veteran Member
Member # 1233

Member Rated:
Ya token 9001 might not work but it was just and example. Token 1-whatever the max is could be used instead of course.

My example showed the line:

Which is level 5 for the warrior class. Having it on that line would should stop the character from leveling to level 6 unless the token is already in possession.

quote:
And what happens to the extra XP they earn while they aren't leveling up?
It would be discarded just like gp would be discarded when you reach max wallet size.

--------------------
I'll be around here until the plug gets pulled.
http://flashzz.webs.com/

Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
I wasn't really talking about morphing, but meh.

--------------------
                                                                                   Also racism.

Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Oh, weird. I was looking at the center column for some reason. And the way you worded your original suggestion post was WEIRD.

Requirement-for would be better than requirement-to-continue, in my opinion. Makes much, much more sense.

--------------------

felty
Verbose Member
Member # 6175

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for felty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Variable walking speeds would be nice(0-255 or so), preferably on a per map basis. With something like this, players could walk at a really slow rate on maps that have difficult terrain like marshes, but would be able to travel much faster on city streets.

Other possibilities would be more control over how fast shoes let you walk, a world default walk speed, or a default walk speed based on your class.

Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
New suggestion: @interruptActorClick1, etc.

This would probably be best implemented with the aid of a scene flag or some such. On an actor right-click event while a script was running, the script would pause temporarily (if the scene flag was set) in a manner congruent with a CALL command to the @interrupt line. The event script would RETURN as normal.

--------------------

Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
The stock cookie monster.ai would be useful. I think basically every other aspect is currently available, but either this isn't, or it isn't documented in the stock cookie list.

--------------------

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
I remember reading about this, but can't find the post. Can we get multi-directional map terrains? Going into a spot on the map from different directions yields different results, like a bridge.

--------------------

Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
The post you're looking for may be one of these:
http://www.synthetic-reality.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001114;p=1#002792
http://www.synthetic-reality.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001114;p=3#004246

--------------------

Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
New request: SUBMENU

Preferably to look something like:

code:
MENU "Item one=@itemone",">Submenu one",">Submenu two","Item two=@itemtwo"
SUBMENU "Item one=@itemone","Item two=@itemtwo"
SUBMENU "Item one=@itemone","Item two=@itemtwo"

Sub-sub menus et cetera could be handled recursively, with a variable to remember to skip-this-many lines when searching for the data lines of subsequent submenus.

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.