Synthetic Reality Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Well of Souls » Well of Souls Public Beta » WoS Development Notes (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: WoS Development Notes
Sir Mj
Obsessive Member
Member # 4642

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Mj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[off-topic]Patience is a virtue young Seraphino. Uncky Dan will post about any such developments as they come to light.[/off-topic]

I know that I'm not the only one to constantly bug for more classes to work with, and hopefully the following starts a trend of developers seeking alternatives so as to avoid "low-impact" class changesand negate having to beg for more classes.

levels.txt Cookies
All would writable
#<num.MaxWallet>
#<num.hostMaxSTR>
#<num.hostMaxWIS>
#<num.hostMaxDEX>
#<num.hostMaxAGI>
#<num.hostMaxSTA>
#<num.hostElementMaxSkillN>
#<num.hostHandMaxSkillN>

[Hmmmm.... this is not necessarily insane... I would probably mandate something like "levels.txt specifies the maximum maximum, but you could use this technique to further limit BELOW that level on a scripted basis", though I can hear the screams when your script takes away AP they already got :-) But you're right, there is room in life for some per-hero modulation of the levels info. And it does pain me to see people using 30 classes to implement what logically should be only a single class. The problem is that the level.txt table is what is 'distributed' (by virtue of being constant), so I have to be careful to not add hero-data which needs to be distributed... but I think this stuff probably would be OK. -s]

The #<num.MaxWallet> cookie would save 27 classes in P.U. alone. The rest I can envisage as being potentially helpful to others, as well as myself if & when I get the time to do any actual dev. "work".

Feedback on the A91 notes
quote:
11.) In the tokens table is a new field 'flags' and one of those flags is 'mission only' which means a monster will only drop it if it knows it is needed by one of your open missions.
Tokens or trophies table? Monsters dropping tokens seems, I dunno, like it would fatten Tokens.txt immensely for something we can already scan (how many times has player Joe killed Monster X) via cookies.

[good catch. I meant 'trophies table' -s]

quote:
(yeah yeah, 'J' Ok, call it a JOB and then it sounds like I planned it)
Uncky Dans humour always brightens my day.

[I think I will take a VERY BRIEF LOOK into how I might virtualize the word 'Mission'. But it's a pain. It was really pulling teeth to virtualize 'gold' Right now would be the time to do it though.. The biggest hassles are the keyboard shortcuts "/missions" and "/oldmissions" (oops, those were secret!) and the menu "Book of Missions". Oh, and the button, but I guess you can already override that. (and, in case you're wondering, the hassle comes from accepting developer-provided data alongside compiled data. So, for example, you decide to call it "jobs" and would like "/jobs" to work, but I have already, or someday unexpectedly, add "/jobs" for some other purpose. Or the Menu having to change as different world's are loaded and still wanting to support a unique shorcut letter (that underlined letter in the menu, currently M) which doesn't conflict with past and future menu entries. Not impossible, just a hassle). And I know you didn't just ask for that anyway, but um, the writing is on the wall. -s]

quote:
Must mean the game is just about complete
[Eek!]

[ 01-13-2006, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just Added "Generic World Tables" so see the top of the post for details.

These are read-only tables (like the MONSTER table in Quest) only YOU, the world developer, define the content and format.

You then use cookies to read the values from the table.

like this:

code:
; I want to use my DevTable11.txt in my world folder
SET num.DevTableId, 11
;
; So I will be reading from table 11 until further notice.
; I want to read some data from the row with id "buttercup"
; (row IDs can be text or numbers, but each row needs a unique id within a given table.)
SET str.DevTableRowId, "buttercup"
;
; Note, that is always "Str." even if you set it to a number.
; Quest automatically converts stuff like that
; Within the row are a bunch of columns numbered 1 to 30
; (though you can have as few as you like)
;
;To read column 14 of the current row, I say
#<str.DevTableCol14>
;
so, that's "str.DevTableColNN" where NN is between 1 and 30.

[ 01-16-2006, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
He knows when you are sleeping.

Posts: 10752 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
Mad
Verbose Member
Member # 5460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad   Author's Homepage   Email Mad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About the links styles:

Any chance we'll be allowed to use strings for them one day? Personally I use them to do stuff like this: 1 is a city gate, 2 is a tavern, etc... for the many generic scripts implanted in all the scene of my world. However, I can't do much when there is a tavern at the gate of a city for exemple. OK, I could set values like 1, 2, 4, 8, etc, like flags, and make a long script to check if this "flag" is set or not. But it would be way easier if I could enter something like: -tavern-gate-evil- as a link style value and use a simple STRSTR to check it...

------------------------------

EDIT - To Crusard (see below): well, taverns and gates were just examples: I have about 10 values to check atm: evil, port, near a mountain, dwarvish area, etc.

At the moment all what I can do is something like:

evil=1
gate=2
gate=4
port=8
near a mountain=16
holy land=32
etc.

and enter something like 1+4+16 = 21 for the link style of an evil city near a mountain, and then check it with cookies in a very long script: I sub the highest number (32 in this list) to the link style number, check if the result is positive to see if this kind of link is active, then sub the last but one, and do the same until 0.

And it's not about making generic scripts for all the taverns for example btw: it's about making a generic script for all the scene that should have a different behavior with taverns for ex.

[ 01-18-2006, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: Mad ]

--------------------
athelias.biz - Forums - Worlds' List

Posts: 1812 | From: Moe's | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mad
Verbose Member
Member # 5460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad   Author's Homepage   Email Mad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something to restrict the number of pieces of an item sold in a shop:

I guess there are several ways to do that. Maybe the best would be to add an @eventPlayerBuyNN.X where NN refers to the NNth item in the list of the stuff OFFERed and X the Xth item bought (well, the X part is optional since we can SET and ADD a cookie whenever the player buy the item). That would allow us to restric the number of items a player can buy in a shop, with a simple script like:

@offer
OFFER #<item1>, #<item2>, #<item3>, #<item4>
; let's assume we've defined the cookies above.
END

@eventPlayerBuy3.10
SET item3, ""
GOTO @offer
; we make dissappear the third item when the player has bought 10 of them - with another cookie set, we could even make it dissappear forever, and the player won't be able able to buy it here at all, even if he reenters the scene.

With SSV, it would even be possible to restrict the number of items sold for the whole server.

The idea behind that is to let the players use OFFER commands and open their own shops in-game. Of course, we can already do that, but not as a shop as with the OFFER command. I guess other WDs would use it for other fancy scripts.

Trophy Shops: I guess the name says everything... That would be really useful, especially since ammuntion trophies are going to be added...

PS: World usage update hasn't been updated since august...

[I think this is a bigger issue than this... assuming you dont' want the guy to be able to just exit and return. I see this as some combination of 'special shop code', 'world cookies' and maybe the 'developer tables.' At one part of the puzzle I would need to provide a shop command which included the # for sale of each limited item, and enforced it. At another level, the scene would need to calculate the remaining quantities based on player, world, and server cookies and then compose the OFFER command which reflected its needs. Balancing this for solo play, play with multiple characters in the same solo/server world, etc. -s]

[Well that would be perfect, indeed, you'd do all the job [Smile] . However, what I'm suggesting would be enough, since we can script the limitations as explained above. Of course, it wouldn't be perfect, since players could play with the script and the lag of the SSVs when 2 players buy the same thing at the same time for exemple, but well... I guess I'm used to that, and that wouldn't be THAT a big deal. Now, again, if you feel like providing such a SHOP command one day, that would just be amazing, and boost again the interactions between players and generally the multiplayer aspect of the game. - Mad]

[ 01-30-2006, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Mad ]

--------------------

Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flamelord   Author's Homepage   Email Flamelord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New feature:

SPELL #, c, t

SPELL would use a spell ID (#) from the table and simulate a casting of it from the caster (c) to the target (t) in a scene. All it would do is move the spell across the screen, taking into account all the effects specified by the spell.

This is the LAST, FINAL, FINISHING feature we need to make scripted fights work. Other than this, we can do everything we need to make entirely scripted fight scenes. This would be useful for emulating all sorts of other special effects, such as elemental terrain in scenes, shield spells, blindness spells, etc.

Please, I beg of you, include this humble request. [Smile]

--------------------
Constantinople! We shall never forget your zany barge poles!

Posts: 4232 | From: Gresham, OR | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Drek
Healthy Member
Member # 4196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drek   Author's Homepage   Email Drek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Along with the actual actors casting spells Flamelord suggested, how about a damage calculator? Might require a new argument...

DAMAGE cookietobeset, monsterIDcast, spellcast, monsterIDcastupon

Since damage is random to a degree, the damage set would be random, but within a given range. This would also allow an easy write in for players/physical attacks. If a monsterID were set to 0, it would calculate for the player in that spot, and if the spellid were set to 0, it would calculate a normal attack.

Uses for this:
  • Balancing leveling and monster fights.
  • Creating scripts that are smart enough to decide a fair monster for a specific class of a specific level to fight. (Hmm, player A would kill this thing in two hits; or Hmm, player A would die in two hits)
  • Allowing a real-damage attribute to actor fights.
  • Solving one of the world developer's longest unsolved probem: how much damage will be done.

-Hesacon

--------------------
SoV: High Priest

Posts: 170 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
heh, total visitors was just 1666337

mark of the beast AND leet at the same time!

--------------------

F'Nok
Obsessive Member
Member # 201

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F'Nok   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scenes without scenes!

What would be really nice is to run scenes without actually showing scenes.

For example, a like can currently run a scene, but if you added the option to "run but not display" the scene you could speed up so many of the more annoying things devs simply must do fo fancy features.

Verification: You can check for a token, then warp someone to a link (using scene commands). If they don't have the required, they could be warped to some other place (hahaha, you got caught sneaking into the kings castle without the key! To the dungeon!)

Party seperation: Using the commands to break parties and move people to another map would be much more fluent if it didn't involve what is otherwise a scene *just* to boot people out of a scene.

Common events: A toll bridge, when you pass through it takes an item or some gold. The first time you come it would probably link you to a scene where the toller would explain the price, and offer you an automatic toll payment device. In future, it can check for the token indicating auto-toll-payment and then simply pay the toll. No more annoying interlude scenes!

Random warping: Mazes are fun, but how about psuedo-random mazes, where the warp points are generated and place in token when you reach the maze map? The entry link generates all the random figures needed, and each link checks against these to determine which other links to send you to!

I'm sure there are many many other uses, including solving this suggestion from Mad (from above):
quote:
Any chance that the map editor one day let us protect the links with something else than tokens and use all (most of?) the IF commands? Yes, this is something we can already do in a tricky way: if we want to restrict a link to the players of the class 1, level 50+, we can give them a token in their camps and protect the link with this token. But having such an option would save lots of tokens in large worlds (and make the scripts smaller!).

--------------------
Kai-Goddess of SoV.
Swords of Villanousity : Website : Guild Hall : Forums

Posts: 5323 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mad
Verbose Member
Member # 5460

Member Rated:
A new map flag enabling the war points to be reported to the ladder would be good thing (actually I think it'd be a flag to disable it to maintain compatibilty with the existing worlds). WDs could restrict the PKs/monsters kills to some areas of the world, like a guilds war arena.

--------------------

felty
Verbose Member
Member # 6175

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for felty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After thinking about it for the past few days, I think I've figured out a way that will allow worlds to be much more dynamic, without too much effort.

Well, you've met Server Side Variables which are server dependent. Now it's time to meet the big brother of Server Side Variables, that is server independent.

#include_html <URL>

#include_html does the exact same thing as #include, except it only works when the user is connected to the internet, and the web server with the file is up.
When the world is loading, when it finds a line that says #include_html, a webbrowser control which should already be loaded in the background, will go to the url specified into the hidden webbrowser control. Once the page loads, WoS will take the page source, and place it where the #include_html command was, as if the script was always there. The precautions against abuse would be making so that WoS denies the webbrowser permission to download and save files, and WoS can restrict the file to only .txt extensions. Any html in the file will be placed in the copy of the world WoS loads to memory, and since html is not recognized by WoS as part of QUEST, it will be ignored. Unless of course, as Flamelord said, there are somethings in QUEST you aren't telling us about.
To prevent cheaters, the "checks" to make sure a world is not modded, will check the #include_html command, and the url, if either has changed, they are modders. Otherwise it proceeds to load the world.

#include_html is not the only command needed to work the magic of a much more dynamic world.

HIDDEN_HTML <URL>

HIDDEN_HTML does the exact same thing as the HTML command. It would use a hidden webbrowser control, just like #include_html, or it could even use the same control. It does the exact same thing as the previous command, except it does not do anything or even touch the page source. The protection from abuse and malicious files being downloaded would be preventing the browser from downloading anything at all, and denying all download requests. In fact, this command would not need to wait for a response from the website at all, it could just go to the url, then forget about actually loading the page, as long as the server still gets the request.

Together, these two commands will allow dynamic worlds that are server independent. The only other potential abuses would be by WDs and punishing players of their world, but they could always do that by just releasing a patch with certain soul ids banned. If they abused it, then people would just stop playing their world, and that would be punishment enough for the World Dev.

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
this is not completely insane, and mostly avoids my fear about generic url fetches made by the game without confirmation by the player.

Of course, since it would probably mostly be used for some sort of 'master banned player list' it bothers me a little.

If it were going to be cool new quests du jour, special contests, etc, that would be cool.

But here are the issues I see with it:

1.) when it works, it will at least lead to additional lag when loading the world.

2.) it won't actually work for people with proxy issues, who aren't actually on line, etc. So one would have to be careful to design it such that "nothing getting inserted" at that point would not break anything.

3.) I probably couldn't let you just paste these in willy nilly. Would probably need you to have exactly one insert at the start of the quest file. Might be an even weirder syntax requirement

4.) But here is the nasty thing that occurred to me immediately. The fact that there could be other nasty things that I didn't think of immediately, causes me some fear.

* It is possible to craft a url which actually opens files on your own computer.

* a malicious world could use that url to read something important from your disk (if they knew where it was)

Obviously, I would try to figure out such exploits in advance, but it would be an opporunity for maliciousness that I would just as soon avoid.

And for cool contests, I think I would use the (new) world patch system to distribute the cool stuff in advance, and then maybe an admin server variable to enable it on the days you wanted it enabled.

----

Still, I am not ruling this idea out, since the fetching of pure text from a web server, done honestly, would be nice.

Of course, the reality is 99% of these fetches will turn out to be "404 - site owner has exceeded their miniscule bandwidth allotment" errors and google adwords not actually seen by anyone. [Smile]

--------------------

Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flamelord   Author's Homepage   Email Flamelord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two requests today:

@eventPlayerExit
@eventPlayerEnter

This pair of @events gets jumped to whenever a player enters the scene. No special cookies are set or anything. It could be used for announcing to the camp that a player has entered, it could be used to give entering player's a set message in an afk player's camp. Or, it could be used to test the number of people in the camp and make buttons disappear.

@eventActorMiddleX
@eventActorMUpX
@eventActorMDownX

These three events relate to the scroll wheel or middle button on a mouse. When it is clicked on an actor, the ENDed scene would jump to that actor's @eventActorMiddleX. Now, this may discriminate against people who have no scroll wheels, so the read-only cookie bool.hostScrollWheel would be set to either 1 or 0 depending on the existance of the host's scroll wheel.

@eventActorMUpX and -DownX would occur when the player scrolls up or down on the actor. This could be used to have a scrolling minigame where you had to help a slug climp up a well wall, or it could be used for a scene where players had to move levers down before the giant magic-bomb exploded and everyone died. Or, it could be used to switch between modes of attack in a scripted fight scene.

These, along with the SPELL command (which is the only NECESSARY one of the three I'm mentioning in this post), would be very nice to have for a scripted fight scene. This scene would allow us to implement things in combat that are not in Souls natively yet, like the reflection spells, and the blindness spells. It would be awesome if we got these three suggestions, as I'm sure other devs could find many uses for them as well. [Smile]

--------------------

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hesacon   Author's Homepage   Email Hesacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New Map Flags:

Upon talking to Leon, who wanted to know how to prevent physical attacks altogether, I think two new map flags would be useful:

No_hand_attack (including attacking with nothing equipred)
No_spell_attack

This could force players to only fight a certain way, or allow a certain monster to use spells in one fight, and not in another without requiring another monster be coded. Naturally a monster will no spells being locked down with no_hand_attack would be just a sitting target, but for story's sake, it could be useful in some battles.

--------------------
SoV: Exalted Devout Oracle | World Developer | The Black Guard
Outside is just a prank older kids tell younger kids at Internet Camp

Posts: 9509 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
IceFox/ Silver
Obsessive Member
Member # 2200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IceFox/ Silver   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My oh my...

I just read through the patch notes of the last 3 patches (had some catching up to do!) and I saw you've been a very busy bee Samsyn! [Big Grin]

So far the adds and changes I read about look really nice and great for WoS. I like getting more and more freedom in the world.

Ps. Feel free to remove this post whenever you feel like it, atm I don't have any new suggestions. [Wink]

--------------------
Silver
RoT's Homepage - ProxBeta

Posts: 7102 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
As Always
Member # 6985

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for As Always   Email As Always   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a skinning idea-
Basicly, i think it would be good to have many frames for on skin panel, so it runs through all the frames, creating an "animation" of sorts.
EG:
M S A D T C M
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] ORIGONAL
--[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] EXTRA ANIM.
--[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
So, when attacking, it will run through all the frames (downwards), to show a character swinging a sword ect.

Also, mabey add frames to call apon in the game.
EG:
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]I[ ][ ][ ][ ]
and you would type /frame1 or a command like that, and it will show that frame (after the origonal skins). so you could show your character scared, and call that frame up when you run across a particularly mean creature, or with his hands up in the air, cheering, when you have just completed something.
Of cource, the extra frames would be optional.
These are just novle ideas, but i think i would add some variety. Feedback would be appreciated.

--------------------
Why dont we aaaaaall sit down and SHUT THE F*CK UP!

Posts: 3 | From: Behind you, I'm the one with the knife. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hesacon   Author's Homepage   Email Hesacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More spell requests

Area Damage - Damage in a given area of the scene. Point and click, that's where the spell goes.

styles:

Radial - damage at the center of the spell strongest with radial damage outwards from that point

Radial Vertical - same as radial damage, only in the vertical direction up and down from the attack point (anyone moving into it gets hit)

Radial Horizontal - same as radial vertical, only in the horizontal direction

Radial Angle - same as radial vertical, only at a specified angle

Solid - solid damage as opposed to radial in a given range, either circular or other

Trajectory - you have the /springy physics added to the engine, using that you could make a gunshot possible (with aiming!) that falls at a certain rate (or get above an enemy and drop a giant fireball right on them!)

Springy - launches a springy, anyone hit gets hurt, would require a configure.ini option to make the springy.ini part of the world version

Field - solid field, anyone going through it before it fades gets hurt

Status like paralysis could be harmful now!

Reasoning behind this kind of spell: You can miss spells. A giant meteor falling from the sky would do the same amount of damage to one player as it would to six players, instead of splitting the damage up between them as a /all spell.

Also, it would give battles in wide scenes a whole new level of complexity and originality, especially for large battles like two colliding armies

---

affiliation stuff

There is a wonderful Paradox with affiliation, you don't want to add to it because developers don't use it, and developers don't use it because there is only one command for it whose usefulness is debatable. Adding some things would make it very useful, like adding element additions only more customizable. Affiliation could be to monsters as cookies are to scripts!

affiliation.txt would include a list of monster affiliations along with elements they are weak or strong to. This could be used to make element 4 monsters weak to certain elements, or even other affiliations (i.e. zombies are weak to angels, or similiar).

Since they can be weak to different elements, I propose Argument 7 for items be reactivated and include chaos spells 8-255. Items like an "magnetic pulse bomb" would not affect a wolf or a human, but if it hit a robot, it would shut it down, damage it, or give it a status condition (like confusion or stun). Giving an item an attribute like HP=-1000 element=62-Magnet would only affect monsters weak against element 62, and would heal monsters strong against element 62 by 1000. So a holy potion might give 1000hp by using, but a undead monster might be weak to that element (even if it's element 0!), and be hurt by 1000.

Of course, I've mentioned summon_same_alignment before, which would be easier to add with these additions, as well as still be useful to developers [Wink]

A cookie #<player.alignment> could set the player's alignment so that they could take advantage of this system as well, making the player weak to certain chaos spells or elemental spells with relative ease, giving different classes different advantages.

[Since players don't know alignment (unless they script peak >.>), it would make it so they had to discover which spells are effective against which monsters despite the guarenteed elemental damage.]

[ 05-16-2006, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Hesacon ]

--------------------

Mad
Verbose Member
Member # 5460

Member Rated:
This is possibly my last request here as I no longer world dev so let's hope it will be accepted [Big Grin]

So far, the only way to give a world to someone else is to send him your pubCenter with the password. That's fine. However, the next patches he will make will be credited for the original owner of the pubCenter, and not the new devver. /version will show something like:

Created by Mad (date here)
Last patch by Mad (date again)

I think it would be fair for the new devver of an old world if the /version window had one more box for the name of the author of the last patch (default would be the creator of the pubCenter, but could be changed).

EDIT (2 years later) - OK, I lied. I'm still in buisness. But I still think this is a good idea...

[ 01-12-2008, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: Mad ]

--------------------

Mad
Verbose Member
Member # 5460

Member Rated:
Silly suggestion: monsters battle cry

No, I'm not talking about new skills, but sentences defined by the WD that would randomly appaear above the head of a monster during a fight, when attacking or being hit. This could be either added to monsters.txt or implanted in a new file.

Ex: "In the name of the Horned Rat, I smite thou!"
"Forget buisness, this is personal."
etc. etc.

--------------------

Kalir the Savant
Member # 7272

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalir the Savant   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Already asked about this in a query to Dan, but I figure I may add this suggestion into here for people to muse over:

SUMMON_ITEM v. monster capability:

Currently, with SUMMON_ITEM, the abilities only work on yourself (or other players, missed that bit Mad). You could (or perhaps couldn't) zap a monster all day with "Cone of Nunchucks" and they wouldn't so much as flinch. I'd like to see some SUMMON_ITEM abilities that would work on monsters. First and foremost, the negative HP/MP items, of course. Not because you can have fixed damage that way (that's already implemented) but because you can damage MP instead (or simultaneously.) It'd be more satisfying, I think, than just buying a one-shot Mind Bomb for fighting the Lord Nebre'seir. (although I did use that tactic in The Summoner to take down a dragon, but shh! They'll hear...)

The next ability I would like to see, perhaps with the normal use of that item as well, is tickets that cause monsters to "vanish" from the scene, granting no XP or GP. To prevent it from working on monsters like Lord Nebre'seir or something, you could make NOFLEE flags prevent banishment through this ability. I'm not sure if tickets can be configured to just be usable on oneself, but that may be in order should this change come to light.

No other items that I can think of would have special cases for monsters (that aren't already covered by spells). Whatd'ya think?

[ 09-29-2006, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Kalir the Savant ]

Posts: 5 | From: There's no crying in baseball! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
PsYcOtIc
Obsessive Member
Member # 2786

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PsYcOtIc   Email PsYcOtIc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What if guilds could buy a stock. Like a "fund the guild" sort of thing. When the guild is doing well, with good membership, good standings on the ladder, the stock would get profitable, and people could get good return on their investments. Perhaps pay in with money and pay out with valuable items, such as seeds (you were saying you wanted seeds to be harder to obtain). It's a great way to get people to focus on guilds, and use the stock market feature more. Not to mention great bragging rights. "My guild is up 3 million gold this quarter, beat that"
Posts: 6824 | From: Aldergrove, BC | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eidan
Veteran Member
Member # 4986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eidan   Email Eidan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A collision check in scenes. Say the player "touches" or better yet "walks over" actor 1, it triggers an event. A sort of "@eventActorCol1" or etc.

Also to go along, a stock cookie that tells the players current distance in pixels from actor 1. #<distN> or something.

If these 2 things were added, I guarantee I would put together a project so awesome it would rock your socks off.... Not till then though [Razz]

--------------------
-Gen

Posts: 568 | From: A76 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
OK, A93 has this command

SHUFFLE cookieName, numCards

which creates the following cookies

cookieName0
cookieName1
cookieName<numCards - 1>

cookieNameCount

numCards must be between 1 and 100 (100 is ok, but that is the heighest value) and you have to be the scene host and incarnated for it to work.

After calling SHUFFLE, you can look at #<cookieNameCount> to remember how many cards are in your shuffled deck. It will be 0 if there was some problem (like you asked for more than 100).. ok.. ok.. I will make it 256 max.

Remember, this just creates a bunch of cookies. It is up to you to keep track of which have been 'dealt'

each cookie just holds a number between ZERO and Max-1

A better Example

; Shuffle a normal 52 card deck

SHUFFLE cards, 52
COMPARE #<cardsCount>, 0
IF= @something went wrong, should have been 52

1: The index of the first card is #<cards0>
1: The index of the last card is #<cards51>

Of course, it doesn't have to be cards

SHUFFLE monsterIds, 10

SHUFFLE prizes, 15

The shuffle command cares not how you use the cookie.

[ 02-25-2007, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Note To Myself:

* Expand monster allegiance stuff

For example, add/modify a monster table column to be "clan affiliation" (some monsters are part of the Blah clan, others part of the Bleh clan, others belong to no clan at all)

Then provide a way for the world dev to modify individual player's affinity with the clans (if you kill clan members, the clan hates you. If you do nice quests for them, they love you.)

Then provide a way for that affinity to control whether a monster, entering a fight scene 'naturally' (not by being manually added via the FIGHT command) is hostile/friendly/neutral to you.

* Generic 'Book'

A way for the world dev to generate some text which then appears when the player opens that 'book'

- Book Title
- UI for opening Book
- Script invocation on book opening, allowing you to provide text contents of book

FOr example, a book describing your current clan affinities. Or skill levels in categories not baked into the engine... etc.

The 'obvious' thing would be to make it html, but I may not want to do that. Too many headaches.

* I still owe you a more flexible book of quests (one where you could have chapters, add images, and perhaps have hyperlink bookmarks from a table of contents and perhaps just stick the 'generic book' stuff in there. Perhaps just a concatenation of cookie contents. Again, HTML adds the complexity of my having to check to make sure you aren't plugging in evil activeX or something. Another hacker battle.

* Generic BUTTONs

Probably along the bottom of the scene window, with 32x32 icons that the user could place themselves. As shortcuts to standard game features as well as WD extensions.

[ 02-25-2007, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Since I see Dan cleaning stuff out right now, I'm going to reload stuff on the back end!

[Ha! caught me! Can A93 be imminent? -s]

quote:
I like that Dan tried to add a guild war ladder a few patches ago, but it really doesn't prove anything, since someone could just go whack a bunch of revenges or super jellies and be at the top of a war ladder without actually fighting a war.

What the new ladder would include:
  • Individual ladder scores for any two guilds that are registered as a War Guild that aren't directly based on rating or monster whacking. These would require one guild to have the other on enemies on their guild page.
  • Kill/Death/Rating scores comparing the two guilds as a whole.
  • Kill/Death/Rating scores for each soul in a guild, for example:
    code:
    Guild      Soul ID    Kills    Deaths   Rating
    ~DS~ 2625 5 4 21
    SoV 1569 2 10 -192
    SoV 1790 2 1 -2

This would provide REAL stats as to who is doing what in a war, and would not have an artificial 24 hour limit on it.

It has the advantage over the pk ladder of only comparing two guilds you want to look at, and stats for two different wars like SoV vs. Genocide and SoV vs. Epiphany would be seperate. This also has an advantage over the current war ladder in that it is continuous and is based on pking.

Two things could help such a ladder. An allLadder server rule would let the war take place on any map. Melee mode (replacing the haunt button!) could also be worked into the wars, since you could compete between two guilds.

Full topic:

http://www.synthetic-reality.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=008629

[ 02-25-2007, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Dan:
quote:
Goal: something for the PKer mindset to do that they enjoy, but that doesn't ruin the game for everyone else.

I claim the PKer mindset enjoys chaotic melee battles, with guild team-mates, that generate war points, that advance their guilds on the war ladder.

And that if they could be playing some resource-control game at the same time (capture the flag, area control, destroy the enemy base) they would be in heaven.

And that the nonPKer would be happy because this would all be taking place on a different map (and/or a different server).

-----

The Idea - Melee Battle Maps

* a new map flag to designate a map for this purpose. (probably multiple flags since some functionality transcends Melee Battle Maps)

* on that map, a new metaphor for joining battle (new way of dropping into scene, maintaining scenes, shared scenes)

* additional 'rules/properties' on the map to control balancing of battles (1v1, even amounts vs even amounts, chaos, etc.)

* 'map state' (tougher than it sounds, actually) that can drive the state of a map link. (is it captured by the red team, is there a game in progress, what guild is the red team, the score so far, etc.)

* map score overlay (points and such in the current instance of the meta game)

---

So, it mostly hinges on the join battle metaphor. There is no PK Attack on this sort of map at all. Instead, you stand close to the player you wish to attack (and they are free to run away, but then they are abandoning their meta game responsibilities and you have a chance to score points). You must stay close long enough to meet the local rules for engagement, which are things like this:

* there must be exactly N members of each team present before the battle will start (and then you all drop into the scene together).

* newcomers can join the scene only if they maintain the balance. So a new red team member cannot drop in until a blue team member is also standing there, then they both join the battle in progress together.

* variable imbalance control. 'one team can out number the other by N players' (controls dropin AND auto fight scene termination)

* level controls. You must be no more than N levels above the lowest player in this scene, nor more than N levels below the highest. This can change over the course of a long-lived battle scene.

* random scene hosting. There is no guarantee as to who will host the scene (no attack advantage)

* scene host hand-off (host can change in mid-scene.. scene can continue even if host leaves). Scene can live as long as at least one player remains in it. (sounds so EASY...)(MAYBE a new generic scene property - enabled by scene script)

* map links are common scenes (two people dropping in separately see each other)(new generic scene property)

Some of this would be available to normal maps as well.

All of this is vaporware at the present

---------

Example:

* world developer has added a map to their world and given it some properties. (2 player minimum battle, balanced teams to within delta 2, area capture rules, team specific wells with NPC protectors, battles limited to 10 level range between lowest and highest player in battle, play ends at 100 points, points awarded to war ladder, loser gets 50% of their points to ladder, 10 points per minute per captured link, link captured by presence of single team for longer than 30 seconds, max of 3 teams, teams follow guild uniform, requires war declaration...)

* map/server state knows there is not currently a game in play on that map. (some magic here)

* players can enter map only if they meet loose team requirements, map gets 'bound' to the teams of the first players to visit it (others must wait for battle to end, or a team to leave). metagame starts as soon as first battle engaged

* once game starts (score starts) it becomes possible to capture links by visiting them and staying alive for the specified amount of time. At that point the link on the map changes color and you can leave, but will continue to earn points for your team as long as it belongs to you. Similar fun for picking up a flag from one link and carrying it to another without dying along the way. I think dead guy spawns a scene with his dead self stuck in it, until a team mate enters and gets the flag. Killing the scene (so as to go off to a well) makes flag snap back to home.

* the whole point of the battles is to defend the links, attack other links, win back what is lost, etc, earning points along the way. So running away from a fight means you abandon the link. not sure if any additional penalty is required for 'running.' 'Teaming' is prevented by battle entry balance rules.

* first team to achieve point goal wins. Points awarded to open wars on ladder.

I want the game to be lively at the map level, with people 'guarding' links by standing around them. Your purpose in killing another player is just to remove them from the game while they walk to a well (on the map somewhere) and recharge (probably takes some time)

Much of the game logic takes place in the scene scripts and is not hard-wired to any particular plan, so this is a description of a particulare use of tools to be provided.

Evergreen itself will try to promote this style of PK battle and seriously reduce classic PKer maps (PK Arena will remain, of course, and probably Inferno or other high level 'already-perceived-as-dangerous' areas. But not the main map.)

I also need to support 'uniform chat' for guild chat.

At game over, after some cool down period, all scenes stop and players are booted from the map, making it available for the next game.

I want to make the map game as lively as possible, with lots of meaningful running around to attack, block, escape. And keep the scenes as brief as possible (shouldn't you leave that scene to check out if you need to recapture some links?)

Current Game Score/Status should be on screen at all times for everyone on that map.

Battle Scene Entry Status should be on screen near the cluster of players in/waiting-for the scene.

Anyway, it's a map-based mini-game spanning multiple scenes and links.

That can generate war points and require balanced teams.

This is well-intentioned plan # 423 to fix PKing, without just removing it completely. [Smile]

Other worlds would continue to work as before, unless they added this feature. And a single world could have multiple such maps with different configuration settings.

given the 20-30ish max reasonable players per server, melee maps should be designed to be playable by 2-30 players. and 2-4 teams. If teams are not guild-based, then you would be randomly assigned red/blue/green/yellow on map entry.

---

Let the flaming begin. This will ruin wos... in 100 words or less.

Also Dan:
quote:
so.. I am visualizing like this..

1.) there is an important link, I have dropped into it early in the game and captured it for my team.

2.) I then exit the link, and 3 of my team-mates are standing 'near' the link (like basketball players guarding the basket)

3.) you get three of your guys to attack the link, and as you run towards it, my guards move around in a way to block you. If you get too close to my guards, some number of us (maybe not all of us) drop into battle.

4.) maybe one of your guys didn't drop in, and now can run to the link without hassle

5.) battle ensues with my guards who wipe out two of your guys, who leave the scene to go to a well. The battle scene terminates for lack of balance and the remaining people are back on the map.

6.) meanwhile that one guy of yours that made it through my line has dropped into the scene, but 2 of my other guards (guarding other links) have abandoned their posts and chased him into the link (which allows unbalanced links)

7.) so I have 2 on one, then my original guards drop in as well, so my five on one easily kills you, keeping the link for my team.

8.) mean while, you had one other team mate, who had been hiding in your base/well scene, but you have been chatting on your guild freq (available only to guild memebers in uniform) and he has sneakily been capturing the six other links.

9.) of course, we have been seeing messages as each link is captured... and the score overlay shows how many areas are controlled by each team, so we have cause to be worried.

10.) the map itself is balanced overall probably, as well, with 10 players total on each team. Mandated by people being unable to ddrop through the map link if it would take it out of balance.

Now, what to do if people leave the map and it becomes unbalanced from that? Hmm. Game over in 2 minutes, in favor of current high points?

And yes, losing players in mid game would be bad for your team. Hopefully both teams have an equal chance of losing players. And you learn not to play on servers with a crazed admin who boots your team mates in mid game.

Me!:
quote:
I've been trying to figure out how to do this kind of thing for years [Embarrassed]

Would you believe I started a "Hide and Go Seek" world three years ago (and never finished it)?

---

If you added a series of maps through the PK arena (and maybe connecting the more "dangerous" evergreen maps like the inferno or ruins) of evergreen, it could make a very nice effect.

As for the features themselves, I don't have time to read through and respond on them right now! But I will later, so lock this topic quickly!!

[And truthfully, there is nothing wrong with pking short of newbies who shouldn't enter a pk camp, ever, without fear of getting murdered. Whatever is done, pking should definitly be left in the open to be done on most maps by anyone who is level 99 or 100. One of the great parts of WoS is the no-waiting period, you drop in and without any setup you can get thrown into a pk fight(in a normal camp, most people don't use pk camps unless they HAVE to, due to the severe weakness of not being able to lag trick in their own camp).]

Me again!:

quote:
After giving this some thought, I do have some ideas for it.

We have an incarnate and haunt button in order to end up in a world. Although I don't know where to place it, perhaps under the haunt button or instead of it (though I can think of some cool things to do with the haunt command that aren't being done), you could place a button for "melee."

This would effectivly seperate people in the new battle system and people either pking or leveling.

In the new melee system wouldn't have be completely based off pking or level, but could be based more off the kind of equip, items, or trophies recieved during the incarnate mode.

The incarnated players and the melee players would also be unable to affect one another, therefor be able to be done on the same maps and server, which would save players a lot of effort of having to go through the equvilant of a "setup" by changing servers.

The links and scenes from the normal world could be default "off limits" to melee players(besides a config.ini melee_start_map=), while allowing a new flag to set them as on. Monster attacks could be left on or turned off, depending on what the developer wants. (You better wear the Jester Boots if you won't want to spend five minutes killing a Black Wrath!).

New item flags could be added to give special abilities towards the melee mode, like extra stealth power or a 2x bonus for score. (Warpath-esk map teleport or wormholes could be cool!) Make it so players actually have to collect equip that doesn't give the most attack/defense (which makes me want to have it so players can't change equip mid-game). For example the Evergreen boots, Rubber, Frog, Fire, and Elven are worthless once you get the Soul Boots.

---

The gossip channel is already used as a way of a guild chat, though a special one could be useful, too, so we don't have to coordinate 10 people onto the same channel.

Full topic because I'm too lazy to quote more:

http://www.synthetic-reality.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=008520

--------------------

felty
Verbose Member
Member # 6175

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for felty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have layers for actors, so why not add layers for links and objects placed on maps? It could make things more interesting than "walking over trees" all the time. [Razz]

[technically, that would be the 'removal' of layers, since those trees are already on a different layer than the players. [Smile] I think what happened was I was hoping some artistic type would generate tons of useful (and beautiful) map art to inspire me to support real trees, bridges, clouds, etc and it hasn't happened yet. No offense intended there. Ditto for the main buttons along the bottom of the screen, though I *have* seen some beautiful themes now, none that were really generic replacements for my own crappy art. I have high art standards, but low art skillz [Smile] -s]

[ 02-26-2007, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Maghnus
Healthy Member
Member # 6517

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maghnus   Author's Homepage   Email Maghnus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the Suggestions thread seems to be hiding, I'm going to hijack this thread. [Wink]

Suggestion 1: The XP bar should be default visible. If you drag this bar, it's position should be remembered (so that players who don't want it can do away with it). My biggest concern is that many players will never drag the bar and consequently never see the "Server Home" button which defeats the purpose of such a button. The problem isn't the buttons existence, though.

Suggestion 2: For years I've wanted WoS to have an option (doesn't need to be default) to automatically download the diary entries for players as they enter (including when you enter a room full of folks). This would be essentially the same way Arcadia functions. This issue has recently been brought up with me since I lost several thousand entires. u.u Please add this.

PS: Sorry if this hijack is out of line.

[

1.) this IS the suggestions thread :-)

2.) please check out A93 and confirm that you 'usually have' the server name bar visible at popular screen resolutions. (but not at 640x480)

3.) Arcadia puts less info in the diary... I'm afraid it might be a burden to have diary entries flying around automatically (especially since in WoS's case you would want the diary every single time you encountered the person (so as to have latest stats) instead of just 'first time you met a stranger'

Still, perhaps there could be an automatic entry with a very small amount of info, for a new person you had never met before. Just the character name and serNum for example.

-s ]

[ 02-28-2007, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
Who is Hotaru Tomoe?

Posts: 188 | From: Stratosphere | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
zim zim
Veteran Member
Member # 1233

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zim zim   Author's Homepage   Email zim zim   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about adding a new flag in that tells a monster to attack characters with TOKEN N before it attacks other players. It would probably be best to place it in arg 3. Like this...

arg 3 scaleFactor.monsterFlags.colorTable.xparent.token

Flag 64 -Attack player with token N

So monster would attack a player with token 1. Before it would attack a player without token 1.

I guess it might be usefull to have another flag that would do just the opposite and just add another dotted arg into the line. If I'm not making myself clear I can explain a bit more in depth.

--------------------
I'll be around here until the plug gets pulled.
http://flashzz.webs.com/

Posts: 550 | From: USA-WI | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
quote:
* MENU COMMAND SUPPORTS CHECKED ITEMS

a normal menu entry looks like "menuText=@label" but if menuText starts with a forward slash "/menuText" then I will add a checkMark (and not include the / in the text I show).

Hopefully no one was using /s already in their menu text...

How does this work? How do I determine whether it ought to be checked or not. To me, the most logical way to do it would be to have a cookie name after the equal instead of a label, and when that cookie is zero, it is unchecked, and when it is one, it is checked. A click would toggle the values.

So, how does it actually work? [Smile]

[
I dunno. I just provide the option, you come up with the string used in the MENU command :-)

Wouldn't it be great if this worked (i.e. I haven't tried it, but this is was I assumed you would do):

SET checkMark1, "/" ; starting value

MENU "#<checkMark1>MenuChoice1=MenuLabel1"

@MenuLabel1
; DoSomethingAppropriateForMenuChoice
; Now, flip the checkmark, if you like
; (make a GOSUB to do this, if you want it in several places)
COMPARE #<checkMark1>, "/"
IF= @clearIt
SET checkMark1, "/"
END
@clearIt
SET checkMark1, ""

Note I am too lazy to actually check the syntax on any of the above.

[ 04-13-2007, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
When you level up via a mission, you don't recover HP or MP.

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
The SPELL command would not be easy, ergo my eternal deferral..

Something about my most recent editing of the first post in this topic has gunked it up a little, so I will have to continue in a separate post.

Or stop adding stuff and just push A95 as is.

You will notice that "as is" does not include any Vista stuff. (other than generic MIX/network changes which may or may not affect Vista)

-------

NEW: Quest Diary can have Chapters.

I believe that's a 4 year old request :-)

==========

Continuation of A95 Release Notes:

* NEW MIX/NETWORKING

Thanks to Sands, I was finally able to debug the whole path through an evil modern router and found several things I could do to make things work better. Most of those things are already deployed in MIX 1.23 (included in A95) and the new master server (already deployed)

Bottom line is things should work more automatically for more people.

If you have a modern evil router, you will find most sucess by:

- telling your copy of MIX to use a port which is not already in use. (don't make it figure it out)

- leaving the [!] box CHECKED so that your selected port is what gets published (also helps you connect to your own server, since you skip the router and its port mangling)

- telling your router to forward that port (udp and tcp) to the LAN pc hosting the MIX server.

* SOMETHING EXCITING WHICH HAS SLIPPED MY MIND

[ 04-21-2007, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
...but you're already rendering it between player and actor! Couldn't you call the spell-rendering chunk without the damage computations, passing it the scene ID of the two actors, or the actor and player?

It seems so simple. Oh, perhaps it's located in one of those "ancient" chunks of code your refer to, which is why it might break things. Hmm.

[ it's not just a routine called from one place. it's a bunch of routines called from a bunch of places... it's real-time you know, none of this "everyone hold completely still and stop doing everything else while this animation plays" crap. Plus it's wired into the actual damage computation and distribution. Anyway, major replumbing to turn it into just a visual effect on its own. -s]

[ 04-22-2007, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

felty
Verbose Member
Member # 6175

Member Rated:
I still think Dan should add some simple form of scripting on maps.

[I do not contest the goodness of the suggestion -s]

Oh well... alright, how about we fake cookies being useable in monster/item names then? I mean, do two players really care if one sees an item as the "Ultra-Killer Blade" instead of as the "Newb-Killer Blade" his friend sees? So yeah, when displaying an item or monster name, just parse it for any cookies it may contain, and replace the cookies with the contents of said cookies.

[yes, that sort of thing could be made to work.. though it would be the world developers responsiblity to ensure the cookie always had a value -- otherwise the monster name would be an empty string [Smile] -s]

If you feel like it, and the engine supports it how it currently is(and since you already trust the camp host so much), you could just have the clients just parse their weapons attack/defense for cookies, and replace for whatever is found. Based on what we know of how it used to work, it would be possible. Unless now that would all have to be done in the camp host.

[that would be more problematic for cases where it is really important that everyone agrees on the actual value.. such as power-altering values like A and D points. -s]

[ 04-22-2007, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Eidan
Veteran Member
Member # 4986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eidan   Email Eidan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another idea I had after brainstorming a new project:

Because we can't have huge maps and instead have to split them up into sections, it would be nice if players could easily cross sections of map without entering specific links and etc. Basically, if a player could walk to the edge of a map and be instantly transported to another map is what I have in mind. There are a number of ways we could approach this:

- Make a new type of terrain, maybe "link terrains". Basically there would be like 10 (or more if necessary) different types/colors of link terrains that could be placed anywhere on a map, and when they are crossed, a player would be sent to wherever that link texture is designated to take it. This could be at the upper edge of the map and stepping on it would take them to the next map in sequence. It would pretty much be mixing objects and textures, which would open devs up to many many possibilities.

The only reason I would rahter use terrains is because it would be nice if they were telported as soon as they corssed the terrain, i.e. they dion't have to stop on it and etc. Also it would be easier than making custom shaped objects for each link and even then objects would be inconvienient because you have to stop on the onbject and etc. I'm sure if it weren't so late I'd hacve a better argument :-p

Well, I'd continue brainstorming but it's getting late, I'll add more later I'm sure

[ 05-01-2007, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: Eidan ]

--------------------
-Gen

Posts: 568 | From: A76 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Master of Darkness
Member # 7795

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Master of Darkness   Email Master of Darkness   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a big list of suggestions

1. Weapons that can break or rust.
2. Weapons that have special attacks
2a. Damage, set by variables or set damage. Can be varying or solid.
2b. Causing statuses
2c. Summoning help
2d. Can have conditions like fighting some alingment or has token,
3. Weapons that can cause statuses
4. Items and monsters with variables of stats. shows as ? in Book of Demons
5. Customisable statuses ex. Disease, Bleeding,
6. Having actual health and mana degeneration or regeneration, not heal spells dont work or spells cost 3x mana.
7. The guilds automatically get actual hall maps.
OR
The guilds can buy different halls.
8. Monsters are created within halls to only souls that arent in guild, they have alignment of whatever guilds name is.
9. Be able to buy guards for opponents, see above.
10. The hall would automatically be created if the top number 7 is true, the map and start monsters would be set in an ini, when guards are bought they are automatically put in, The names would be "Guild Name" "Name set in monster name",
so say the name of the monster was Goblin Guard and the people had bought it for the Noob Guild(Made up off the top of my head) it would be the Noob Goblin Guard. The guild hall if the second 7 was true would be like guard but with map name instead.

Posts: 1 | From: Earth | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
1. Can already be accomplished, IIRC
2a. Weapons already cause damage.
2b. Assign a spell to the weapon.
2c. See 2b.
2d. Huh? Care to elaborate and perhaps even make sense?
3. See 2b.
4. I've already discussed this with Dan. He's not going to implement it. See the topic here and look at my posts to see why.
5. Too much work for too little benefit. See the reasons why MP won't be virtualized, if they're still in this topic.
6. Try syncing that between machines without packet storms.
7-10. Impossible. How would one reach these maps anyway?

Please remember that WoS != Evergreen. I don't want Guild Hall maps in my world, and if they were forced on me, I'd just have to write my own RPG engine. Consider how the rest of us feel, silly. [Razz]

--------------------

Mad
Verbose Member
Member # 5460

Member Rated:
Seriosuly, even if we can't script on maps, an option to have players walking under some parts of the terrain is a long time request. It could be done with a new 2 colors BMP for each map (positive/negative - the skin of the player is shown on positive terrains, hidden on negative terrains).

[I promise I will try to add map layers soon... though I am not sure how I would handle 'bridges' where you get to be either on top or below, depending on the angle at which you approached it. That is what prevents me from doing water in Empyrion as well... :-) Still, I am sure we can have trees you can walk behind and floating cloudy things -- though the absence of alpha will make clouds crappy... Sure wish someone would make a set of really fantastic link art. -s]

[ 05-23-2007, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: Mad ]

--------------------

Makarei
Verbose Member
Member # 1646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makarei   Author's Homepage   Email Makarei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about having an option to specify a weakness to elemental creatures that fall under the chaos tree of elements. Also on items, as a lighting sword could work good against a machine creature that has been specified as a chaos machine elemental monster.

All you really be doing is setting up that element 15: is weak against element 3. So even though element 15 is a chaos element it is strong against all other elements except element 3.

[that suggestion doesn't hurt my head too much :-) I never liked the all or nothing of chaos anyway. I will try to do this. -s]

[ 05-20-2007, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
7 Years almost done.

Posts: 1040 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Makarei
Verbose Member
Member # 1646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makarei   Author's Homepage   Email Makarei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two requests, the first is simple: Could you add some features to the trophy mission.ini that allows world devs to add/sub/div/mul a cookie value once a mission has been completed? Example:

RewardAddCookie=#<Points>,10 ;adds 10 points to cookie Points!
RewardSubCookie=#<Points>,10 ;subtracts 10 points from cookie Points!
RewardDivCookie=#<Points>,10 ;divides 10 points from cookie Points!
RewardMulCookie=#<Points>,10 ;multiplies 10 points to cookie Points!

You could probably think of more cookies to add. But if your wondering why i am asking this it is because the world i am working on uses lots of check cookies, and i need a few cookies in the missions.ini to add a point to one of these checks, which later opens something else. I know you probably say that i should use an item or a token, but i am getting low on those, trying to save them for other things.

Secondly Could you implement the TAKE PP, PARTY_TAKE PP, HOST_TAKE PP, Commands? I know you probably see this as an EVIL ACT or something, but not all worlds follow the evergreen structure, or in your footsteps to make a world.

The world i have been working on for along time now, with friends is going very steady, but we have found that in most cases of beta testing is that the PP in the world is very pointless feature. The Player can use it to power there elements, and hand training, but nothing else has a purpose for it. so it becomes a pointless feature!

However we do want to use the PP for skills, As players obtain PP they can use it freely to power there skills, in npc battles, camp, and various other scenes. This restores the balance and gives the PP collecting a more greater impact on the player. Because you need to have PP to use various types of skills! Without it you can not use your skills.

We do not want to use MP for skills, as this would ruin our entire history on the world. I'll put it into a simple understanding: HP is your health, MP is for Spells, Gold to buy stuff, PP for skill activation! Each aspect relies on the other, without any of em you can do much. and since wos is mostly made up of monster bashing, PP is gained quite easily. (I have also notice some people saying I have too much PP, make the max amount bigger, you know the max amount will never ever be big enough, as there isnt much you can use PP for,

So with that said, could you please give world devs a chance to "make wos look good!" by giving us some extra options to expand our creativity on making a world different to evergreens structure by implementing TAKE PP commands.

Also You probably wondering what it could be used for besides skills? well it could be used in special shops, you need gold, and PP. or what i like to call PP (physical points) you could use it to upgrade you class, yes i know its odd. but some worlds are different to evergreen. This is something i have wanted to add for ages, but there has never been a choice to do what i want 50% of the time, instead i am limited and feel restricted to follow in the footsteps and plan a world with features similar to that guy over there. he has gold, for buying and upgrade class when you reach a certain level, why do i have to follow his, or your footsteps in this whole world creation thing.

Yes i know, I am having a breakdown, I am just trying to point out why TAKE PP would be a good aspect to have in world development!

[ 06-12-2007, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: Makarei ]

Posts: 1040 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
I would much rather see another "meter" added someplace, with a virtualized name.

It'd have a config section in the ini files someplace: Boolean activated value, color of the bar, variable it corresponds to.

Then you'd set max.<variablename> to change the maximum amount of this meter.

It couldn't have a white bar that recharged with it, but it certainly could be useful! The boolean activated/not activated value would establish backwards compatiblity. You could read and write to this meter to change the value. It could be used for things like ammunition in specops, skills in Makarei's world, and many other things.

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.