Synthetic Reality Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Well of Souls » Well of Souls Public Beta » WoS Development Notes (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: WoS Development Notes
Drek
Healthy Member
Member # 4196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drek   Author's Homepage   Email Drek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monster Gender
The idea is, every monster has a gender of either male, female, or none. The spell charm would work twice as well on an opposite gender monster than the player, half as good on the same, and normal on one with none. All current worlds would have it defaultly set to no gender while new worlds or updated ones could have the genders. Lower level players would have a decent chance of charming monsters even at higher levels, as long as it is the opposite gender.

--------------------
SoV: High Priest

Posts: 170 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flamelord   Author's Homepage   Email Flamelord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When morphing classes, you currently allow them to maintain any hand and element PP values. I would like it if you could make that change. Currently, I can't do my classes the way I want them because they carry over ability points in elements they shouldn't be allowed to use. Please change this, Dan!

[Okay, this is really non-specific. Perhaps I meant that the elemental PP training should be auto-reduced to accepted maximums in the new class. Or you could implement the TAKE PPt.nn xx I just suggested! [Razz] ]

[ 09-20-2005, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Flamelord ]

--------------------
Constantinople! We shall never forget your zany barge poles!

Posts: 4232 | From: Gresham, OR | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crusard
Verbose Member
Member # 2720

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crusard   Author's Homepage   Email Crusard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WideScenes could be improved...
When the host enters the scene, it goes directly to the far opposite side, stupidly passing through the whole background.
Could we somehow change the location to which the player automatically moves to?

[ 02-02-2005, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: Crusard ]

Posts: 1119 | From: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flamelord   Author's Homepage   Email Flamelord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe a new chat actor designation:

We already have 0-31, N, and H.

So what about A?

As in,

N: This is in the announcement place in just your camp!
H: This is the host speaking!
A: This is in the announcement place for the ENTIRE SERVER!!

So, maybe sometime soon?

--------------------

Sergey
Healthy Member
Member # 3771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sergey   Author's Homepage   Email Sergey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like the ability to set the amount of EXP a char in my world needs to level up.

I know you wont do it since it can be "hacked", but I might as well try and post it here. Everything can be hacked, but not puting in good features for world developers will not imporve the overall status of WoS.

Also, I would like it so I can set a MAX_LEVEL for classes. That way the banned classes wont be able to level, and some classes can only level so far without then having to go morph into something else.

Posts: 262 | From: Rochester | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mad
Verbose Member
Member # 5460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad   Author's Homepage   Email Mad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As adding some commands to the MONSTERS AI seems to be on the to-do-one-day-maybe list, here is new idea : a new command that would tell the monster to attack either the players first or the monsters, with an argument for the element of the monster, so we could have : "bite 'monsters" or "bite 'players" or "use #0 on 'monsters.element0" (ie : kill the healing monsters/pets first).

[ 03-14-2005, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: Mad ]

--------------------
athelias.biz - Forums - Worlds' List

Posts: 1812 | From: Moe's | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Makarei
Verbose Member
Member # 1646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makarei   Author's Homepage   Email Makarei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I surgested this to you dan in email, but you said to post it here. i'll just copy/paste it in. i added a few extras too.

1.) cookie returnng total number of spells known
2.) cookie returning total number of spells known in particular element (including chaos)
3.) cookie returning TRUE if they know a particular spell (by number)
4.) cookie returning their currently selected spell#
5.) cookie returning the total number of times SpellID has been used (in world)
6.) cookie returning the spellID of the most frequant spell used by player
7.) cookie returning the spellID of the less frequant spell used by player

--------------------
7 Years almost done.

Posts: 1040 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
8.) Cookie returning host's attack points.
9.) Cookie returning host's defense points.

--------------------

Mad
Verbose Member
Member # 5460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad   Author's Homepage   Email Mad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
10.) Cookie returning the actor name
11.) Cookie returning the actor skin
12.) Cookie returning the actor coords X and Y
13.) Cookie returning the actor pose

[ 01-30-2006, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Mad ]

--------------------

Mad
Verbose Member
Member # 5460

Member Rated:
New argument for monsters : "motion attitude"

I wanted to ask for monsters that cannot move once they have reach some coords for the plants of my world. But I had a better idea : check this :

1. Plant attitude : don't move once they have reach some coords.

2. Archers attitude : will never go towards the chars, just hit, and runs in the opposite direction if the player gets too close.

3. Fist users attitude : run straight to the player, don't attack till they are enough close.

4. Birds attitude : will not go closer but won't run away neither if the player does.

etc.

[By the way, I really liked this suggestion. -s]

[ 12-31-2005, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

Darangen
Compulsive Member
Member # 780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darangen   Email Darangen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Innate Disease

It'd be cool to be able to set a monster up to be confused when it first comes out. Of course, the disease would fade away under normal circumstances. It'd be cool to give a monster a really powerful spell, but have it innately gagged so it can't use it first thing, so the player has to defeat it before the gag wears off.

Map Flag: Disable Boots

We love boot effects. But sometimes there are maps where we'd rather not have the player with boot effects such as high-speed, cross all, etc. It'd be cool to have a map flag that would turn off all boot effects while the player is on that map.

~Darangen~

--------------------
It's ok, I like girls.
Lea, a world in development.

Posts: 2464 | From: Not of this world | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Darangen
Compulsive Member
Member # 780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darangen   Email Darangen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New Map Table ARG: Monster Density

It'd be cool to be able to set a maps monster density. Here are some examples.

100%, normal density (the way it is now, and the default if no amount was set.)
150%, heavy density (you run in to battles more often due to more monsters filling the map.)
50%, low density (you encounter few monsters on this map due to the spaciousness of the monsters)

I think it'd be cool [Smile] .

~Darangen~

--------------------
It's ok, I like girls.

Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
New shop OFFER commands:

OFFER3 12.500, 31.800, 84.625

This command would offer spells for money. In this case, it would offer spell 12 for 500 GP, spell 31 for 800 GP, and spell 84 for 625 GP. This would be useful for magic academies, or situations where you want to force people to pay for a spell without a ton of scripting.

OFFER4 13.100000

This command would offer trophies for money. In this case, it would sell trophy 13 for 100000 GP.

OFFER0 (Offer Zero)

This command would eliminate the shop option, automatically closing any open shop windows. That way, we could have more versatile scenes that can offer multiple things or nothing. It would allow for scripted marketplaces, where you have right-click actors to enter and leave each shop. You wouldn't want to be offering items or spells or trophies at the main market scene; you wouldn't even be at a booth!

[ 08-29-2005, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Flamelord ]

--------------------

felty
Verbose Member
Member # 6175

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for felty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, I would like to ask for a new event flag, @eventPlayerPKed. This event flag would be put in a scene, and when one player kills another, then it would call the script after this flag.

Second, to go with that event flag there should be TWO new stock cookies, one for the class of the player that got pked, and another for the class of the player that pked the other player. Combined, the flag and these cookies would allow there to be scenerios like this: there are two classes in a world, vampires and vampire hunters. Each time a vampire kills a vampire hunter, the vampires score would increase and the hunter's score would decrease, and when the hunter killed the vampire the opposite would happen. When one person gets enough points, they get a prize or something.

Eventually when there ARE server-side cookies or a way to submit data to a database server, then there could be a competition with intra(?)-class pking. I have been thinking about making a world, and having those two features would make it much better when I get around to making it.

Expanding on the idea of a way to submit data to a database server, once that is added, along with the flag and two stock cookies, there could be a website with hi-scores between the classes such as this one: http://www.wotmud.org/struggle.php

It would be neat to have monsters raiding a city then humans that needed to defend it, and the scores would be sent to a database so people going to that page would see who was in the lead in "real-time."

The other thing I would like to request, which I want almost as much as the flag and two stock cookies unless database support is added, is a way to hide the url from getting displayed at the bottom of the screen when it is going to it. That way I could have a php page that updates a database with stats, and it would be harder for players to find out the url to cheat, but first it needs to be possible to submit values to a web site, so say you SET A, 1. Then you have it go to a webpage like this: http://www.test.com/update.php?A=
The feature would allow you to go something like this:
"http://www.test.com/update.php?A="#<A>"B="#<B>
And WoS would plug in the values of A and B into the correct place of the URL.

--------------------
SoV - High Priest

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hesacon   Author's Homepage   Email Hesacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Hand levels, rather than having a need for level 5 hand to hold a butter knife, or being able to use an elite soul sword with level 5 hand, could we get a new argument in items.txt which will allow an item to be equiped at the set level? The butter knife could require level 1, but the soul sword should require level 9.

---

Now across to spells, you know you really want to give chaos spells the ability to act like elemental spells [Wink] . You'd also like to add an argument where spellid#1 is weak to spellid#2, so chaos element 100 "cat" is weak to chaos element 101 "dog" but strong to element 102 "mouse"

[ 10-08-2005, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
SoV: Exalted Devout Oracle | World Developer | The Black Guard
Outside is just a prank older kids tell younger kids at Internet Camp

Posts: 9509 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crusard
Verbose Member
Member # 2720

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crusard   Author's Homepage   Email Crusard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something regarding monster spawns when using the FIGHT commands: If more than two monsters are called at once, they seem to be stacked one above the other, making difficult to aim carefully to a single target, and even making difficult to see all of them!

Is there a way the distance between each monster could be increased a little bit?

[ There is an invisible little checker board of hero positions and monster positions, and heroes and monsters are assigned in a particular order to these checkerboard squares as they enter the scene.

The 'checkerboard' is several rows, where each row has its columns staggered a little (think 'brick wall')

It's actual screen position is relative to the current screen size, so you will see less separation at 640x480 than at 1024x768

And, of course, monsters move. -s]

This is part of a screenshot taken in 1024x768 resolution, to be more especific.
 -

[ 07-19-2005, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Crusard ]

Posts: 1119 | From: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Two new @events:

@eventPlayerEnter

@eventPlayerExit

These would be triggered when a non-host player entered or exited the scene, depending. This would be highly useful for the PKing features I'm considering, as it would give me a way to lock and unlock the camp when a certain number of people were inside it, by doing this:

code:
 @eventPlayerEnter
COMPARE #<num.peopleInScene>, "#<camppopulationlimit>"
IF= @lock
IF> @lock
END
@lock
LOCK 1
END
@eventPlayerExit
COMPARE #<num.peopleInScene>, "#<camppopulationlimit>"
IF< @unlock
END
@unlock
LOCK 0
END

It'd be really simple, and allow us to lock and unlock camp without need of an actor, which everyone knows can be used to cancel hits!

I think it'd be fairly simple for you to add this, and it would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure many others would find this useful also.

--------------------

Sergey
Healthy Member
Member # 3771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sergey   Author's Homepage   Email Sergey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Levels.txt

In addition to the START_ELEMENT_PP, MAX_ELEMENT_PP, START_HAND_PP, and MAX_HAND_PP commands, we need a new command to allow the max level that pp can be spent on an element or hand. I.E. after say level 5, you can no longer increase the level by pp, and it must be by using a spell/hand in battle. You can still reach level 9 like this, you just have to put work into it.

The idea behind this is so people can't use auto-clickers/hacks to boost pp and them spend the pp maxing out elements and hands.

We also need a MAX_LEVEL <##>

That would help so that if you want the max level to be 80, not 100 in ur world, u can set that. And it will also no longer let your pets go over that level.

works good for class changes, so you can force players to class change in order to continue leveling.

or in short: I need this alot for my world. plz [Razz] <-- dont let this face down. [Big Grin]

Posts: 262 | From: Rochester | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
quote:
[ I always like it when someone documents something like this so neatly... makes me want to actually do it... So I started thinking about 'is this the time I finally add support for world-developer-defined-skills? and again I keep coming back to 'what difference would it make to actually be good in a skill'

I mean, in the simplest case (above), the only thing the skill did was let a script test the host's current skill level. Then the script itself would do something based on that.

But I think most people would quickly want a skill level to do something else... like.. defense against certain atatcks, enabling certain spells, etc. I mean things which actually require skill-specific game engine support.

Also, I can't help but see a parallel with the extra elements (elements 9-255)... that they are, when looked at with squinty-enough eyes, actually skills. There we have the advantage that all the weapons armor and spells already have element affinities (hence could be skill affinities).

It all pretty much comes down to what the player believes is happening, since in the end it's really just some spell attack with a name like 'pick pocket' or something. If the engine doesn't support some core function (like 'transfer GP from target to caster') then it won't really make sense to the player.

SO... I think it would have to get developed something like this:

1.) I have to add 'cool special effects' (like diseases) each with some sort of code ID.

* e.g. transfer GP, HP, MP, PP, XP between attacker and attackee (and others)

2.) Ability to bind combinations of 'specials' to individual spells.

3.) Ability to bind spells to element/skills (done!)

4.) Ability to attractively display existing skills and levels. (probably this would merge with/imitate the spell panel in some way... forcing you to pick spell or skill mode, with skill 'selectors' like the element 'selectors' Internally it would all be spells and elements, but we give illusion to player that skills are something else. World developer defines skill-spells as meets their needs.

5.) distribution of enough per player skill info for satisfying experience, obsessive/compulsive competition.

6.) Increased total # of spells

7.) Ability to modify/query skill levels by script.

Perhaps re-factoring the higher elements into 'skills' in the user interface is not an awful first step, even if skills are not particularly useful outside of scripting initially.

-s]

-Taken from an earlier post in this subject.

My thoughts:

The ability to define specific skill elements would have to flow beautifully into the existing spell system. This would not necessarily be difficult (From a game coding perspective it probably is difficult, but I don't know). The element table would need an additional argument. This would be applicable only for the 9-255 elements that are considered "Chaos" by default. If an element was defined in the element table to have a special title and a setting of one for a NEW ARGUMENT, it would appear in a NEW DIALOG BOX. This box would contain all elements after the first eight that had the special argument stating that they were a skill set.

This would be more effective than a separate "pointy octagon" scheme, allowing for many skills, and not making them interdependent. Elements defined as "skill elements" would not be able to do damage. Instead, they would utilize the new special damages that transfered GP, HP, MP, PP, XP, etc. between players (Caster > Castee; Castee > Caster; Castee > Bystander; Caster > Bystander; Bystander > Castee; Bystander > Caster).

Now, we encounter the problem of USING said skill spells. This could work in a very simple way. A single NEW BUTTON would toggle both the appearance and the function of the buttons in the Spell frame. The element selector for the 8 "normal" elements would disappear, the New Spell box would become New Skill, and Elements would turn into Skills. The list of spells would disappear, and be replaced by the list of skills. From there, the appearance of the skill spells would function in the same manner as the normal spells, bouncing the sparks around in the top of the frame, etc.

Now we reach point seven from above. I believe several arguments have been suggested over time, but the easiest method to accomplish would be this:

GIVE Ptnnn.xx

GIVE P(type)(number).(amount)

Type: (0|1|2)

Declares where the given PP should go.
0 would send it directly to PP count.
1 would send it to hand training.
2 would send it to element training.

Number: (000-007|000-255)

Declares what subcatergory the given PP should influence.
0-7, used with Type 1, goes to the individual hands.
0-255, used with Type 2, would go to the different elements.

Amount: (0-z)

Declares the amount of PP to be taken.

Some examples of the use of this argument:

GIVE P0000.500 ;Would give 500 PP directly to the character.

HOST_GIVE P1007.1000 ;Would train 1000 PP to hand 7 of Host, Evergreen Spirit.

PARTY_GIVE P2001.5000 ; Would train 5000 PP to element 1 of party, Evergreen Water.

TAKE P0000.55 ;Takes 55 PP from the PP count of everyone in the camp.

Take would work the same way.

[After remembering that none of the other GIVE/TAKE commands worked that way, I re-set it up. -F]

[ 09-24-2005, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Flamelord ]

--------------------

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hesacon   Author's Homepage   Email Hesacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New Map Flag

Disable /terrain. This can be used in any map, so it is impossible to hide secret doors/paths if the player can type /terrain.

--------------------
SoV: Exalted Devout Oracle | World Developer | The Black Guard
Outside is just a prank older kids tell younger kids at Internet Camp

Posts: 9509 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually, not having subroutines is one of my longest guilt-inducing flaws. Aside from argument passing (and I could always just force you to use cookies) it's not that hard.

Let's do it! or at least let me talk out my implementation...

First, shall it be JSR, CALL, GOSUB? I think it will be... CALL.

So CALL to invoke a subroutine, and RETURN to indicate you are done with it..

A quick check shows I haven't already used that!

---

Now, you actually brought up a good point with your +FUNCTIONS suggestion. Finding the routines has always been a bit of a gumption trap for me since normally the scope of labels is only in the current scene.

But that is what colons are for!

CALL 23:FunctionName

will look for:

@FunctionName in scene 23

---

And if you leave off the number:, maybe I will just look in the current scene.

The call stack should be relatively simply to setup... I will probably have some amazingly small stack depth, and no real error case for you when you exceed it... maybe a popup dialog box so your users can scream at you...

So, the nasty bit will be argument handling since you really want stack variables to simplify your life (a sub function might want to use the same cookie that you wanted to use)... if we think assembly language for a moment, am I willing to have a cookie stack and give you a PUSH and POP command....

Hmmm... I dunno.. I am awfully lazy...

code:
SCENE 100
; Some useful subroutines

@AddThreeNumbers
; assumes three values passed. values on
; CALL command line are loaded into cookies:
; arg0, arg1, arg2, ... (and cookie 'numArgs' tells how many)
PUSH sum ; save this cookie on stack
SET sum #<arg0>
ADD sum #<arg1>
ADD sum #<arg3>

SET arg0, #<sum>
POP sum ; restore original cookie value

RETURN #<arg0>
END

SCENE 1000
; a real scene which calls subroutines

1: Let's say cookie 'arg0' is used to return single values

CALL 100:AddThreeNumbers 1, 2, 3

1: The sum of those three numbers is #<arg0>

END

Yes.... I think I like that well enough... Let CALL and RETURN both take a variable number of arguments. On entrance to a function you can use numArgs, arg0, ... as input, and in the return command you can choose what to shove into arg0, 1, .. as a result..

RETURN #<num.HostBlah> #<num.ServerBleh>

would return to the caller with hostblah in arg0, and serverBel in arg1 (and numArgs set to 2)

You would then be responsible for using PUSH and POP to save cookies your function was going to be modifying in the course of doing its work, unless those cookies were so specialized everyone just knew that function X always blew away some cookies.

Now is stepper going to need to expose the stack contents for you.. I guess that would be nice.

And maybe one could have a policy of using 'temp0, temp1' etc for temporary interim computations inside a function (with the understanding that those cookies would always end up getting mangled But then I could avoid push/pop in many cases

code:
SCENE 480

@AddThreeNumbers
SET temp0, #<arg0>
ADD temp0, #<arg1>
ADD temp0, #<arg2>
RETURN #<temp0>

END

SCENE 498

CALL 480:AddThreeNumbers 1, 2, 3
1: The sum is #<arg0>

CALL 480:AddThreeNumbers #<num.hostX>, #<num.hostY>, 47
1: Look ma, it works with cookies.. #<arg0>

END

Now, having said that, do I need push/pop? Well... I could get away with not having it.. but ultimately it would mean people would make a very large number of temp variables and even go so far as to have unique temps in every function maybe. THat would be impure.

On the other hand, you would never get an unbalanced data stack, so debugging would probably be easier.

Unfortunately, I have to do some day-job work now, otherwise I would probably do this right this second. And delay might just sap my enthusiasm..

But I like:

CALL sceneNumber:Label argList
RETURN argList

Hmm, I wonder... should that be

CALL sceneNumber@Label

and then let the GOTO commands use the same syntax to cross scene boundaries (for truly horrific coding style)... and why do I feel like I already did something like that?

In either case, I think there will be two separate stacks (call and data) since I don't want to deal with a poorly handled data pop leading to a return to a garbage memory address as it were.

And, of course, we're not talking about the fastest programming language in the first place, and adding recursion to it isn't gonna make it any faster.

Probably be good to put your more popular functions in scene <some low number which is not a Wos hard-wired scene number> since that will be found faster.

--------------------
He knows when you are sleeping.

Posts: 10752 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I added the Cookie Data Stack (see first post in this topic)

Two new commands:

PUSH cookieName ; add contents of cookie to stack
POP cookieName ; set cookie with what was on top of stack

---

SET a "cookie a now has this in it"
PUSH a ; save a copy on the stack
SET b "cookie b now has this in it"
PUSH b ; save a copy on the stack
SET a "blow away what was in a originally"
POP a ; a now has what was originally in b
POP a ; a now has what was originally in a

---

I sort of describe computer stacks in the top of this post, but if you haven't used them before, you probably won't find my description all that enlightening.

stacks are just a good way to temporarily hold things that you need to be able to get back in a moment. Like to save something important just before calling a function which, for all you know, might use the same cookie in the middle of one of its computations.

Or, in a well written function, to preserve the original value of any cookies it uses as interim values.

Or, on occasion, as an interesting way to pass arguments.

But remember, unlike cookies whose contents are preserved on disk, the stack is erased at the start and end of every scene.

Basically a stack allows you to not have to keep track of a billion specially named temporary variables, so that no two parts of your code trounce on each other's toes.

But stacks can also be used to do interesting chores.

Just be sure to call POP the same number of times as you called PUSH, or your

--------------------

Mad
Verbose Member
Member # 5460

Member Rated:
Also, something to fix the issue: only the leader of the team has a cross terrain equiped, the other players can't follow him but will still be present in the scenes. Maybe an optional map flag to break the parties in this case...

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Welllll....

as of A90, 'cookies' are now 'protected'

This means the cookies that your world creates are protected. My stock cookies are only as secure as they ever were.

---

Please see first post in this topic for details. Highlights are:

1.) defaults to OFF
2.) world devs enable it in config.ini
3.) there are 3 settings
4.) a violated cookie has no 'punishment', it is just counted so the world Dev can decide what to do if a character has appeared to compromise too many cookies.

[ 10-15-2005, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Suggestion:

Some way to, under script control, allow the current host to exit (possibly off to another scene by himself, or with his party, or possibly just simply exiting) and let the other scene members stay behind, with one of them being promoted to scene host.

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Suggestion:

New Book of Options feature

"Only show me the death sentences for people in my scene."

---

Now I think I mis-understood and the actual request was for death-sentences.txt to only include your own 'transactions' as it were, instead of all you ever witnessed.

I need to think more about that.

[ 10-15-2005, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

Mad
Verbose Member
Member # 5460

Member Rated:
I'm by Hesacon's side for this idea. Maybe I could ask for spells that would disappear once used - after all the script would not that different, would it be?

EDIT- A log-time request is this one. That would let us make spells that can be used only once per battle: take it when used, and then give it again in the camps. That would be very useful for some uber-strong spells like summon a lvl 100 or so creature. At the moment, all we do for those spells is to make them incredibly MP-expensive, but that doesn't prevent players from using potions to restore their MP.

[ammunition trophies take you step closer to this, but give you no good way to 'recharge' people's ammunition unless they are the scene host. I mean, with the scene host you can check how much they have and just 'top it off' but with other members of the scene you might just be giving them 'n more' uses. Still, it affords some new possibilities. I think I can eventually implement a 'max uses per scene' for spells (as a new per-spell argument) though it would be painful to only count successful uses and frustrating to see your uses 'fail' -s]

[ 12-31-2005, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

Darangen
Compulsive Member
Member # 780

That could even tie into durability, and having weapons break after x uses, couldn't it?

~Darangen~

[well, not really. durability really needs something, like materia, which is bound to the individual object. You could make all swords use 'ammunition' and have a blacksmith who just gave you 100 units of that ammunition.. and then the sword would 'stop working' after 100 hits until you went back to the blacksmith, but that's about as close as you would get. If you switched to a new sword, it would just inherit the current ammunition count and not have its own private stash. -s]

[ 12-31-2005, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
It's ok, I like girls.

Sir Mj
Obsessive Member
Member # 4642

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Mj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Writing to HTML files.
I'd love (as would anybody associated with the HoMe project) to have the ability to use QUEST script to WRITE to a HTML file within players HTML folders for a world.
e.g. Writing a line to MyHTML.html
code:
WRITE MyHTML, "This is a new line of text"  

As there is currently no way (and probably not ever going to be a way) to have dynamic tokens for truly random quests, the ability to write to a particular HTML file would enable the developer a way of displaying random quests offered to, declined &/or completed by the player akin to the Quest Diary.

I can only imagine how tedious implementation would be, and already forsee a few potential setbacks so I'll try and address them here also.

Issue 1
Do HTML files get scanned when determining if a world version is modded? If so then for the WRITE command to work we'd need to set aside a particular HTML file (MyHTML using my example above) within the world's folder as being 'writeable'. That way the engine would merely pass over this file in the knowledge that the content will be different for everyone. In effect this would cut out the need to prescribe what file to write to and reduce my example syntax to:
code:
 WRITE "This is a line of text" 

Issue 2
Does C++/QUEST allow or potentially allow writing to a document in the correct area? i.e. Inserts a line feed or carraige return after the last content-filled line of the body for a html document, then writes to a new line. My near zero knowledge of C++ limits me from ideas here...input anyone?

Issue 3
All else being perfect & functional would a developer have any chance of writing a current #<cookievalue> to a HTML document?
e.g.
code:
@QuestStart
SET RandomQuest1, "Kill 4 Black Wraths"
WRITE "NNN = #<RandomQuest1>"
END
; At this point, our player's MyHTML.html
; file should look like the following when open
; -------------------------------------------
; | NNN = Kill 4 Black Wraths |
; | |
; -------------------------------------------
; The ugly box above represents the HTML page
; as it would be seen by the player.

@QuestReject
SET RandomResult1, "You refused the task like a coward."
WRITE "NNN = #<RandomResult1>
; Our MyPage.html now has 2 lines as follows:
; ----------------------------------------------
; | NNN = You refused the task like a coward! |

@QuestEnd
SET randomresult1, "You obliterated the Black Wraths"
WRITE "NNN = #<randomresult1>"
END
; Now we have a page that reads
; | NNN = You obliterated the Black Wraths! |

I know my name will be cursed and many pins stuck in Voodoo Mj dolls for this suggestion, and I don't blame you as I just know this would be a right pain to make possible, but, many developers are starting to apply randomness to their worlds and what better way to be non-linear than total randomness right? [Cool]

[ 10-20-2005, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: Sir Mj ]

--------------------
Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.

Makarei
Verbose Member
Member # 1646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makarei   Author's Homepage   Email Makarei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make quest book more user friendly. Like allow world-devs to add enteries to the token.txt so that quests can appear exactly where the world dev wants them to appear. Also allow normal non quest book text printable in the quest book, which can bet set into a color of world devies choice. here is an example:

we write in the token.txt

[Green/]Storyline Quests[/G] ;appears up in quest book green.

[table1] ; this will put quest starter token obtained by player in table 1, under the first entery if avalable..

2347, "Find away to kill scaris the bandit leader"[1] ; we tell the quest book that we want to display this quest discription in table1, since it is a storyquest.

[Blue/]Side Quests[/B] ;appears up in quest book blue.

[table2]
91, "You have Started Magi Basic Training!"[2]

as you can see it will still be like the orgional quest book, except it just allows world-devs to oganise the quest book abit more easier. you could even have.. color table sections for the new accuried quest. example;

and as the player completed a quest it automatically is moves to either top middle or bottom of the table [number] this is already done when a world dev specifies a new token for that quest the player has completed or is about to complete. here is an example of it set up in token.txt

[Green/]Storyline Quests - New[/G]

[table1]
2347, "Find away to kill scaris, The bandit leader"[1] ;we took this token from player as they completed abit of this quest. now the quest appears in table two..

[Blue/]Storyline Quests - Finished[/B]
[table2]
2348, "Report to Carla with the letter you found on scaris's body"[2] ; half completed quest, and when they return to carla they get a new token.. so this quest appears under table3..

[White/]Storyline Quests - Completed[/W]
[table3]
2677,"Carla has rewarded you for your help towards the Emerald Enclave"[3]

At least this way it would be easier to navigate the quest book, especally when you are dealing with alot of quests, at one time..

And the same would apply to side quests, or other added entries the world-dev decided to add to the quest book.

--------------------
7 Years almost done.

Makarei
Verbose Member
Member # 1646

Member Rated:
New monster aug. to limit monsters wandering path.

Genral run down of a fight scene, player is in battle against a monster. monster moves slowly to player both player and monster attack in a turn based rythem.

Ive been implementing alot of the new features mention in the new wos release updates. Especally warp actor into monster at location where actor is. But i'm wondering if that can be repeated backwards. By having a monsters wandering path set to 0 so it cant move across the screen as all monsters do in a fight scene. If it was possable to have more control over how far monsters can move in a fight example; monster move in X and Y and but how far can that monster move in X and Y, if i set both of these to 0 then the monster should have no freedom of will to move from its location to anywhere on the screen.. The monster would fight from its position, now if that was mixed with the aug to make the monster only use long range or spells it could work well with an idea for a boss i had in mind.

I will share this idea, Basically we have an actor he taunts player and a duel begins, where our player enters a fight scene. the actor warps into a monster "so it become a normal fight scene" when then player kills the monster, because it was restricted to a spacific location. It is possable to give the effect of reanimating the monster using poses back to the orgional actor skin. then of course our actor cracks the sads, summons a beast for you to fight while he makes his escape.

But the monster would of course be restricted to long range attacks, or spells..

This idea would also be good, for big creature such as a dragon, where you can only visably see the head poken out from the left side of the screen, now if the dragon's head could freely move around the fight scene it would look really silly seing a floating dragon head comming after you. but if we restrict the monster to one position in the scene using a monster aug based on screen positioning via X and Y. we could give the impression of having a big beasty dragon thats so big his head is only visable on screen and he casts fireballs at our player..

This could also be used to prevent players from being swamped with monsters at close distance.. and could create more fun battles.. then the normal kinda fight scene.

--------------------
7 Years almost done.

Sir Mj
Obsessive Member
Member # 4642

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Mj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quoting the ideas of Uncky Dan for preservation and hopeful future implementation.
quote:
Still, might be able to do something along the lines of:

SEND_NON_PARTY_MEMBERS_TO_SCENE x

which would pick someone in the scene who was not currently a member of the current host's

party and make them become the host of a new scene, that other non-members would be coerced to join.

BUt if you had recently given a PARTY command to break up the party, you might need to add a WAIT

to let the dust settle before issuing this command, since the host has to know the party affiliations before it could work.

And maybe as well:

MAKE_SOME_NON_PARTY_MEMBER_THE_NEW_HOST_OF_THIS_SCENE

to let the host leave the scene without destroying it.

[ 02-25-2007, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.

Makarei
Verbose Member
Member # 1646

Member Rated:
Dan, can you make in the GP and Find probability an item flag thingy. So an Item can be brought, can not be found, and can not be sold. (shop quest item)

I need the player to be able to use it on themselves without it disapearing from there items list.

-----------------------------------------------

Also I have another idea to make random item names, spell names, monster names, etc.

The idea came into my head when ponding through my old world idea's list. which i origionally scaped because it was impossable to do at the time, but since wos seems to be on a more often update issue i thought i would mention it.

It would also benfit those people who keep asking for name a sword or item after yourself. As explained with the equipment.

Ok First the items. a solution of having a random name.

In the item's thingy we would set up an item ID like we always used to do. lets take item 20. In the first box, is the title of our item, we could put a partial name here if we want to like, Potion of. At the end of the name we would put a sign in to tell the items thingy to collect a random name from an ini file named as itemnames.ini So the titles name of our item 20 becomes: Potion of #Item.name

In the level box, we would normally put the requirement use to wielding or drink in this case the potion. so in this example I will put level 0.

Next comes our description, we can put a description in here like we normall do. so my potion' description is: "the famous alcholic drink"

Now our item looks like almost any other item. except for a random name. Lets go back to our description, if we modify the description again so it now looks like this: "the famous alcholic drink that was first made by #host.name#

When the player picks up this item, it will choose a random name based in our itemname.ini, as well as mentioning there name in the description. so in the game my potion would look like this:

Potion of Beer, "the famous alcholic drink that was first made by Makarei

Or

Potion of baking oil, "the famous alcholic drink that was first made by Makarei

I know the name sounds funny but its just an example, of how it could work in the game.

Next you would enter the aug's for the rest of the item. when you get to the frame and extension of the picture used for the item, again you could link it so the correct image appears for that item name.

In the itemname.ini we would have it set up kinda like this:

Item name: Description: Skin:
Baking Oil, "the famous alcholic drink that was first made by #host.name#" #frameN.extN#
Beer, "the famous alcholic drink that was first made by #host.name#" #frameN.extN#

As for the reast of your item, like attack and defence, wis, str etc would remain the same as they do now, unless dan wanted to make it more complex, using the examples above.

As for the monster thingy, you would have a simular way of doing the random monster name except set up abit differently in the monstername.ini, maybe something like this.

monster name: Item ID Droped: Skin:
Greasy Pan, 20 #name.bmp#
Flaming Sauce Pan, 20 #name.bmp#

And again a simular way for spells.

But of course these desciptions are just examples. the over all ini files could have as many aug colunms in them as normal items do depends how random you want to get, and how many ini files you want to make.

But it is a solution to naming a sword after yourself, Becaue you could also have in the item name the #host.name# sign.. which would tell wos to collect and past the hosts name at the end or where specified the players name. like:

#host.name#'s rotting sword
and in game it would look like this: Makarei's rotting sword.

And I could see this feature getting used in worlds, as i also have an advanced script which would go nice with this implemented. Hint: Upgrade able sword.

[ 12-15-2005, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Makarei ]

--------------------
7 Years almost done.

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
If you check out the top of this post, you will see I have been a busy beaver...

I have just One More Thing To Add before releasing A91 in some form. (Might be wise to do a pre-release of this one)

The thing I am adding is fairly large, however.. Missions.

This will simplify the creation of collection quests: "Go get me 3 of these and 4 of those, and in return I will give you 50GP, a sword item, and 300 XP"

1.) new Trophy Flag: Mission Only, marks a trophy as being dropped only if all conditions met AND it is of use to an open mission.

2.) new world file missions.ini which defines some number of missions (id, name, description, entrace criteria, trophies needed to complete, rewards given)

3.) new hero file HeroName.MIS which tracks which missions are open/completed for that Hero

4.) new Script command MISSION (think OFFER2) like:

MISSION 1,2,3,4,5

Offers up to N missions (but only the ones for which you meet entrance criteria)

5.) New SCENE button (like SHOP/GAME) which appears after you issue the MISSION command (no, same scene cannot have MISSION and SHOP at same time, sorry)

6.) New MISSION Dialog with a list of missions at the bottom and details about the selected mission at the top. When invoked via MISSION button it shows only the missions (OPEN or UNTAKEN) offered by the MISSION command

7.) New BOOK menu option "Book of Missions" which opens the same dialog, but now the list is of missions you have accepted but not finished.

8.) Thingy to let you switch to a THIRD mode which shows all missions you have ever done (with that character)

----

Once the basics are done, I will look into:

* Random Mission Generation (with hints)
* Special Tricks (like timing how long it took to do mission, keeping 'best time' etc.)
* War Points from Missions

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Possible Entrance Requirements for a Mission are any combination of:

* one or more tokens
* character level
* one or more character classes
* previously completed mission ID
* etc.

I re-used the stuff from the script IF command, so you specify entrance requirements like this:

Qualify=T3-T4V4C2|V99

etc.

And the REWARD can include giving a token, gold, XP, Spells, Items (using the same syntax as the GIVE command). But to be clear, you can specify four separate rewards independently:

RewardGold=50
RewardObject=I25
RewardXP=10
RewardToken=46

So there are a lot of combination rewards possible. And yes, I might regret the RewardXP someday. I guess I will add rewardPP while I am at it.

[ 01-01-2006, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Here are the current mission definition values:

from missions.ini comments (you would NOT have a semicolon on each line normally)

code:
;[#]			Every mission needs a unique 'Job Number'
;Name= Every mission should have a short name
;Qualify= this is a conditional string, as used by the script IF command.
Only qualifying characters can do mission
;Desc= This is the longish description of the mission.
Not TOO long, I hope
;Trophies= This is a list of required trophies, like "3x12,4x17"
(Needs 3 trophy12s and 4 trophy17s)
;RewardGold= Gold provided as reward
(assumed to be 0 if omitted)
;RewardGive= Object given, uses same syntax as GIVE command to give something
(S12 = spell12, I33 = item33, ...)
;RewardTake= Object taken, uses same syntax as TAKE command
;RewardLevel= Give them enough experience points to take them from 0
to this level, say "3.2"
;RewardPP= Participation Points Given
;RewardWP= War Points Given
;RewardToken= You can give ONE token
(use negative value to REMOVE the token)
;AcceptGive= Object given (GIVE syntax) when you accept the mission
(maybe something you'll need)
;AcceptTake= Object Taken (TAKE syntax) when you accept the mission
;AcceptMsg= A message sent to user when they accept the mission
;AbandonGive= Object given (GIVE syntax) when you abandon the mission
(maybe a cursed item or something)
;AbandonTake= Object taken (TAKE syntax) when you abandon the mission
(maybe what they gave you, maybe not)
;AbandonMsg= A message sent to user when they abandon the mission
;FootNote= A footnote added to completed missions

A mission reward can,
in theory, be something bad. For example

RewardTake=G1000

But you can't take away XP or PP. You CAN take away a token (which could be good or bad)

---

Also, notice I added things like:

AcceptGive
RewardTake
AbandonTake

so you can reward/punish (or maybe provide some item or spell which will be needed for the mission)

Basically, these are ALL optional, but they let you give/take an arbitrary thing at each transition (accept, abandon, reward), which I hope will let you do things like "you'll need this lockpick" and "you won't need that lockpick anymore" and "here's a cursed soul for running out on us" and "let me remove that token from you, so you can replay quest 5 after completing mission 33" etc.

The funny thing is that at the end of this, I might have a better idea how to finish my arcadia card game "TurnAbout"

[Smile]

Right now, short of a little simple hacking, you cannot repeat a mission once you have completed it. I am pretty sure I want to add something like:

canRepeat=N

to let you do the same mission up to N times.

but I think I will wait on that. might need some sort of "repeatQualify" string or something...

An Example Mission:

code:
[1]
Name=Jelly Trouble
Qualify=V1
Desc=We have a lot of trouble with Jellies around here. If you could get some Jelly

pigments for us, we might be able to make an anti-jelly spray to keep them away.
Trophies=5x1
RewardGold=300
RewardGive=I25
RewardLevel=2.1
RewardPP=1000
AcceptMsg=Go forth, brave %3, and squish!
AbandonMsg=We understand, it's a royal pain washing that goo off, isn't it?
FootNote=Well, we appreciate your efforts, but unfortunately it turns out they LOVE the stuff!
Miserable little cannibals!

[ 02-25-2007, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Hmmm, instead of RewardXP and making you work out sensible values (and open myself to infinite hacking, which this does anyway), I am going to make it:

RewardLevel=N.M

Where it will then compute how many XP it would take to raise a level 0 character to level N.M and then give you that much.

So

RewardLevel=3.4

would actually MAKE you level 3.4 if you were starting at 0, but have a much smaller effect if you were already level 47.

yeah, I like that much better. Plus if the XP rules change, you don't have to rewrite all your missions.

--

And there are a couple other limits here:

1.) in no case will you gain more than 2 levels from a single mission reward

2.) in no case will you gain more than a million (or so) XP from a single mission reward

[ 01-28-2006, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

F'Nok
Obsessive Member
Member # 201

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F'Nok   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Multi-attack - Status/Spell/Hit weapons!

To post what was inspired by this thread.

Allowing weapons to have multiple attacks would add a lots of new oportunities for variety. Some of my main thoughts were:
  • Punching twice with fists.
  • Casting a spell and hitting.
  • Applying a status effect and hitting. (eat poison!)
  • Casting two spells. (fire and ice?)

There are only two issues I saw (apart from implementation of course), and here's some suggestions regarding those.

How to define the weapons.
  1. You could tack on a new argument somewhere, like making argument 6 have more parameters. But I think it's a bit clunky (though probably rather simple).
  2. Those args 10, 11 and 12 aren't used on anything but consumables... Why not give them a use?!
    This can be done by setting these arguments to the values of OTHER items (namely, weapons) that have all the stats you wish for part of the attack. Thus for a sword that hits and lowers stamina I could set arg 6 to something like "-1" to indicate this is a multi-weapon, then set arg 10 to "721" the item ID of my weapon that does a small hit, and arg 11 to "722" the item ID of my weapon that casts lower stamina! Of course, for this weapon I'm not using arg 12, so it's "0", but I'm sure some people would love some sort of triple weapon.
    Another benefit here, is that to equip the weapon you could enforce all the requirements of the items used in the combo. So unless you had the skill to equip both items 721 and 722 in the above example, then that multi-weapon could not be used!
How to animate the weapons.
  1. Don't change a thing. Just apply multiple effects.
  2. Simultaneous animation. Matrix-like effect as you both lunge at them to hit and also stand in place casting!
  3. Fast animation. If there are two effects then animate them both in sequence at 2x speed. If three then do all at 3x speed.

--------------------
Kai-Goddess of SoV.
Swords of Villanousity : Website : Guild Hall : Forums

Posts: 5323 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Makarei
Verbose Member
Member # 1646

Member Rated:
Create a ladder or option for a world to record player names, based on soul id in a form of a ladder simular to pk ladder, except based on players status.

Because My world doesn't support pking or player killing, i would like to have a ladder which records the people who have:

Class name (class type used)
Won x amount of fights
Died x amount of times
Gep rating, Good vs evil karma +/-%
Completed x amount of quests
Failed x amount of quests
Partaken in x amount of event quests
X amount of Secrets unlocked
Active Status (time playing world)
Banked gold
Mini games played (how many times)
Overall player rating

And have the info sent directly to my own offical world ladder.

Or if there is no way to make a non pking ladder, i guess i can restrict it to a player status scene. But it be nice to have a different kind of ladder which shows player rankings, besides kills against each other.

That way i can look at these ratings and implement future updates based on player status, and it also gives people something to fight over who the better player is.

[ 01-07-2006, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Makarei ]

--------------------
7 Years almost done.

Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Trophy Ammunition requirements of greater than one.

A.K.A. It takes HOW MANY turns to charge?!?

I would like to suggest that there be a way to force a spell/item to use a certain amount of "ammunition trophies", for instance a spell that takes three turns of casting the charging spell to use. It would be obnoxiously powerful, but the three turns it takes to charge would make up for it.

There would be other uses, of course. It could even get absurd, and end up taking several quests to be able to cast the spell that opens a gate or something. This feature could have many applications.

[I think that only works if you also have a simple/secure way to make sure the 'charging' has to take place in the same scene... and adding a bunch of ammunition 'takes' to the start of the scene seems unsatisfying... for one thing a late comer would not be so bound.

I am going to file this under "make it so a spell can be limited as to how many times it is used in a scene... with the understanding that other actions can increase that number in mid-scene.." and defer it. -s]

[ 01-07-2006, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.