Synthetic Reality Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Well of Souls » Well of Souls Public Beta » WoS Development Notes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: WoS Development Notes
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are the development notes for Well of Souls Version A97 (please place suggestions and bug reports in this topic).

ESTIMATED RELEASE: 2 months or 2 minutes.
MOTTO: Counting the Seconds

DEVELOPER INFO: http://www.synthetic-reality.com/wosDev0.htm

GOLDEN SOULS: http://www.synthetic-reality.com/donate.htm

---------------
CHANGES FOR THIS RELEASE

* COMPATIBILITY: Excellent!

===============

NOTE: This topic is moderated in the sense that I use it as a reminder of things to do next, and delete posts once I have either: done them, decided not to do them, moved them to a different list, got tired of the feelings of inadequacy they engendered. Please don't be upset if your post disappears and you don't know why. Also, please don't be upset if I don't personally respond to every suggestion. But I *do* value your suggestion, honest! Thanks for taking an interest and contributing to the creative process!

[ 06-08-2008, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Posts: 10728 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
Shon-dahre
Spammer
Member # 650

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shon-dahre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Smarter monsters!

This involves a monster's wisdom. For instance, you're fighting a monster with 100 wisdom. He looks at you and sees your highest stat is strenght, so he casts unravel, and so on.

then a monster with 255 wisdom would be like, ok, they use that spell/physical attack, so I'll cast stupefy/grease on them, then I'll cast screech on them and finish them off

as for 'ganging' monsters with 255 wisdom, if the attacker(you) is screeched, etc, then they will 'know' and attack the person who is weakest, and you know, the 'selective' survival process.

Say, 3 Snot Monsters (SM1, SM2, SM3), all with 255 wisdom, all level 100... against level 100 Sam, level 68 Bob and level 24 George...

Sam gets in first hit on SM1, halving its health, Bob casts Tempest on SM1 for about 1/5th its health, George, hits sm1 for 2. SM1 then attacks George, hits him and George dies. SM2 (presuming it is a turn based game, players then monsters) then casts stupefy on Bob. SM3 then hits bob, and nearly kills him (1/10 health left).

Sam restores Bob, then Bob casts tempest again on SM1, killing it. SM2 casts Screech on Bob, then SM3 takes him out.

That just leaves Sam, so Sam whacks SM2, takes him down half as he did to SM1. SM2 then casts Unravel on Sam, and then SM3 casts Screech. Sam hits SM2 again, but only for about 1/3 of its health, leaving it with about 1/5 left. SM2 then hits casts Grease on Sam. SM3 then hits him for the first time, causing about 1/4 damage. Sam casts Raise Stamina, etc...

Eventually, the monster *are* killed but it would make fighting them much more interesting and more fun... Especially watching the newbies be killed repeatedly by level 110 monsters with their level 100 fist users because they don't have debuffs or buffs.

Also, have you considered my other suggestions on the previous page about new buddy types and... the other thing, whatever it was?

Posts: 12690 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
UltraDefiyer
Veteran Member
Member # 380

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UltraDefiyer   Author's Homepage   Email UltraDefiyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Extension of the 'shield' spell idea:

There are like two settings, a physical shield and a magic shield...

A setting for a magic shield spell could include something like 'reflect' which reduces the damage done to the target and the (slightly weaker) spell is thrown back at the attacker.

A 'physical' harms an attacker using a physical weapon (sword as opposed to a spell).

EG:
Magic:
Shield of Reflection:
Reflects Magic spells at attacker with decreased power.
Shield of Fire:
Does fire damage against a swordsman, but is almost useless against magic.

Elements could play a roll too, the shield of fire decreases a water spell's power, but makes a FIRE spell even more dangerous (or no effect...).

Shields should have some sort of duration time, like stun, obviously.

Posts: 544 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
UltraDefiyer
Veteran Member
Member # 380

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UltraDefiyer   Author's Homepage   Email UltraDefiyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After a quick e-mail set, I'm posting this here upon Dan's request (so that he doesn't forget and I get credit. )

The idea had to do with adding chapters to the Quest Diary in WoS, making the QD less cluttered and possibly more useful.

Another part of the idea was to add a 'percentage of quest done' after the quest title, though I dont remember if Dan remarked upon this.

Chao
-Lord Silarn

Posts: 544 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
traumchen
Healthy Member
Member # 2310

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for traumchen   Author's Homepage   Email traumchen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hokey Dokey, here ya go Dan ...

Q: What about TAKE_PP?
Uncle Dan has already spoken about this, not to say that he won't respeak on the topic, either....
Repasted about TAKE_PP (for which I suggest a TAKE_PP [[H|E]N]-NNNN implementation)
TAKE_PP H2-500 would let me "weaken" a wizzy's ability with Staves (yep, correct for Revia, at least) as (s)he gets closer to yet another class progression.
TAKE_PP E4-1000 would let me fake "transmuting" Elemental Affinity over to Revia Alignment strength, or Revia Meditate.
TAKE_PP -200 would let me fake "training with real PPs" into a Revia specific skill, or even pay for learning a spell/regaining MPs via the Revia Meditate.

quote:

I suppose I could empower a TAKE Pnnn command, even if I am too nervous to allow GIVE Pnnn (this would allow script hackers to diminish their characters, but not augment them, so I think it's not a big problem). And limit it to the scene host... maybe...

And it occurs to me it would be rather simple to implement HOST_GIVE and HOST_TAKE which only affected the host.

Here's Uncle Dan's words on ASPECTs.
quote:

we're talking about a classification issue... similar to, but not the same as, element. Where individual spells and items are assigned to a class, and the map flags can somehow suppress all members of that class.

Because I like things to be very very simple... and because I have to ship data around... I'm thinking something like this:

1. imagine map flags as a 32 bit binary number (which is what they actually are).

we have currently used all flags up to 0x40000...
    Putting that in perspective:

0x00000000
    0x00040000

so we only have about 13 bits left in our "easy to use" space.

OK, I'm not comfortable backing up against that wall...
  2. Introduce MAP SUPPRESSION FLAGS. a separate but similar 32 bit number. Each bit repesents a suppression class. (32 total.. max.. no more possible...)
  3. somewhere we cram a suppression field into each spell (for sure) and each item (um.. maybe)
  4. maps, and scenes, can have these suppresion flags associated with them.
  5. while in said map/scene, you cannot use an item if the AND of its suppression flags and the scene/maps flags is non-zero.
So, if the classifications mean things like:

0x00000001 = metal
0x00001000 = elven

then the 'elven battle axe' might be given a suppression flag of 0x00001001

And if a scene was suppressing elven stuff (say, in the Troll's Lair), it would say

suppress = 0x00001000

And that would suppress all elven things, including the elven battle axe (which is both metal and elven, even though metal is not suppressed here.)

==============

OK, Second pass.

Each spell/item is assigned a 32 bit "aspect" bitmap, where the aspects are assigned by the world developer (I mean, the WoS engine doesn't care what the bits mean. Could mean metal, enchanted, dark, cursed, etc.) And the world developer would manually assign aspects to each thing s/he cared about.

Each map/scene is assigned a 32 bit "aspect suppressor" bitmap. (note, if you want it to mean aspect-enabler, then set it to the complement of the aspects you want to allow.. um sort of... not quite the same in the case of multiple bits set)

If a spell is suppressed, then it cannot be cast (learning is a separate issue, I think, though I suppose I could suppress learning while you were standing in the wrong spot... kinda weird though.. no feedback to the user... "This cave interferes with your ability to learn weaving")

If an item is suppressed, then it cannot be used or equipped.... but what if it is already equipped... auto-unequipping would be a pain, but if that's what it takes...

---

Collaterally, characters might have aspect limits set by their class, "dwarves cannot use metal" and those limits should be modifiable via script "You have learned to touch metal without getting a rash"

---

recapping again:

• spells and items have 'aspects' (zero or more non-zero bits in their aspect bitmap, indicating that they are metal AND spiritual AND high-caste AND order of the blue sun) a 0 bit means the item/spell does NOT have that aspect. All zeroes means it has NO aspects (and hence no aspect-based restrictions). Multiple bits may be set at once.
  • places can suppress items and spells with one or more of the suppressed aspects. A one bit means that aspect IS suppressed, and items/spells including that bit ARE suppressed (no matter what other aspects they may have). All zeroes means no aspects are suppressed. Multiple bits may be set at once.
  • character classes are given initial can-use bits. (is this backwards? It feels more intuitive). Hence Elves must have the 'elven' bit SET in order to use elven objects. And if an item is both steel and elven, the class must be able to use both steel and elven. All zeroes here means unable to use ANY aspected items (but can use items whose aspect field is the default all zeroes).
  • characters can subsequently be given/have taken away can-use bits.
    GIVE_ASPECT 0x0001
    TAKE_ASPECT 0x0101 // takes two

This effects scene host only.
==========

OK, that's looking fairly general, let's consider special cases.
  1. Can we use this to do a simple global thing like "I am in jail and they took all my stuff, but I don't want to really use the TAKE command since giving me the right stuff back later is a pain" Could be that a map/scene suppress of 0x80000000 might mean "supress everything" (thus leaving the world designer with only 31 truly general aspects). Or perhaps lose yet another bit, as in 0x40000000 to suppress magic separately from items. Still... if a world developer wanted this, they could choose to allocate the bits of their pleasure for the purpose without anything being hard-wired at all. Of course, the inventory would still appear in the ITEMS and EQUIP screens. I don't think this is really the solution for "they took my stuff" unless it can be cast in a metaphor of "they put some sort of curse on my stuff so I can't use it right now"
  2. Can this somehow be convincingly turned into 'skills'? I dunno... people can get some pretty high expectations of skills. I mean you get the 'tan leather' skill and all of a sudden people expect you to have graphical animations for it. THat's probably better to do with cookies and the imagination of the player. Unless you define skills as just being spells with funny names. "I cast tan leather on devil pig, it inflicts 14 units of damage"
So... I think all I like from the above is:

1. 32 developer-defined aspects (note: the engine would not even have a word for these aspects, you would have to manually enter into the item's description anything you wanted to say about it.)
  2. aspect-restrictions on what character classes can use (with the ability to change over time via script command)

GIVE_ASPECT 0x1000
    TAKE_ASPECT 0x1000
    IF_ASPECT 0x1000, @hasAspect1000Ability
  3. aspect-restrictions on what can be used in a particular map/scene, plus script commands to modify it on the fly for scenes (which otherwise inherit from their map)...
SCENE xxx, ASPECT=0x1000
SET_ASPECT 0x1000
CLEAR_ASPECT 0x1000

The above quotes were excerpted from the prior thread [ New Spells ]
-> http://www.synthetic-reality.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=000072

--------------------
"If you can solve it, it is an exercise; otherwise, it's a research problem." - Dr. Richard Bellman

Posts: 371 | From: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Corpse Collector
Verbose Member
Member # 2249

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corpse Collector   Email Corpse Collector   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see a break-probability in the future. Say a player has a rusty sword. You could set the break probability argument (once implemented) in items.txt to 1600 or so (similar to the find-probability) and then it would be more likely to 'break' (i.e. shattering sound when hitting monster and player loses item). You could do other things with it as well, like making it break when used on a certain monster, and replacing the item that breaks with another.

;will almost always break when used on monster 15 (evil armored knight, maybe)
;will be replaced by item 843 (broken blade)

--------------------
I thought inflammable was the opposite of flammable!

Posts: 1810 | From: Quincy, MA, US | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karst
Verbose Member
Member # 539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karst     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Book of Records

Nothing important, just a small pop-up window that shows all the minute (my-NOOT, not MIN-ut) details of your character. Labels could be:

Total attacks made (everything)
Total times you've been attacked (everything)
Total damage done (everything)
Total magnificent hits (everything)
Total distance moved on map (miles)
Total distance moved in scenes (miles)
Total spells cast (everything)
Total amount of items equipped
Total time AFK
Total times PK attacked (PK/PvP)
Total times you've PK attacked (PK/PvP)
Total kills (everything)
Total times guild uniform switched
Total pets acquired
Total amount of time sound effect played
Total items used

Needless to say, I got this from GTA3. Pointless little information that you'll never use, but is cool to know. It would be really cool if, when you typed /afk, this screen came up over top of all the WoS things, and when you pressed another key while the WoS window was active, it'd disappear and you'd be unAFK. Auto-unAFK, if you may (hey, that rhymes). Also makes it a point that you're REALLY not there when you go AFK, since you can't move or do anything.

Note that this would only be viewable by you. Just a little quirk for your efforts. You'd probably have to make it just for new characters, but it wouldn't be too terribly hard to implement, I don't think. Just a little count every time you attack, move, etc.

And also:

Non-PK Character Flag

I'm still all for the "Hardcores shouldn't be able to PK just because it's rather pointless to go head to head with them" theory. To make it global, you could create a character flag, much like the MAX_PP ones, that stopped the class's ability to choose PK on the "Character Name" screen (by simply greying it out or erasing it). Something like PK 1 would make it so they could not be PK, and PK 2 would force PK-ness. Giving power of a world developer over his world users is a definate plus, right? All world developers want to tailor their world exactly, so all users get the same, slightly exhilirating experience (at least I think so). Forcing PK/non-PK would give that power, and would allow a dangerous renegade world or a happy, Candylandish world (and don't say the map flags make that possible, you still have the faces on the map and the label in guild pages. The flags also wouldn't have to be done for every single map, but rather for a single or multiple classes, making things slightly easier for the developer).

Plus you could make it so Scavengers couldn't PK.

And another thing I just came up with: it would be cool if there was another flag that made it so a class could be attacked by another player, but not be able to attack them. See if THAT was put on Scavengers and other "challenge" classes, it would make it much harder and more interesting. They were put there for the leveling value, and not the PK/PvP value, anyways.

[ 08-25-2002, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: Karst ]

traumchen
Healthy Member
Member # 2310

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for traumchen   Author's Homepage   Email traumchen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Extending Dear Uncle's thought about making spells more varietal, NON ATTACK EFFECTS:
  • Elemental Shield - this would protect the monster/caster in reverse elemental strength. That is, least effective against attacks from the same element. It'd be really cool for a Life Shield, too! "Thou shant defeat a Monk of Life, feared thy Shadow might be!"
  • Elemental Summon - already mentioned by other Dev's, I think, but what the heck. This should summon a monster of lower level than the caster from a particular element.
  • Elemental Fear - another reverse elemental strength effect: those of the same element would be least likely affected by this. Target(s) either suffer "to hit" penalties, even to the point of being unable to [successfully] attack, or are simply stricken with fear (unable to attack or cast) for N seconds.
  • Elemental Passage - only matters if in Scene terrain effects are dropped in, some which way - target(s) can cross over elemental terrain for N seconds.
  • Elemental Terrain - only matters if in Scene terrain effects are dropped in, some which way - a path from the caster to the target of the elemental terrain will be made for N seconds. (Think: Iceman's ice bridges, or a wall of wind for an Aire Elemental.)
  • Elemental Invisibility - only invisible to a specific element.
  • See Invisible Elemental.
Non Elemental Effects
  • Teleport - again, mentioned by other Dev's.
  • Darkness/Glare/Fury - different Blind spells, where the target sees only a specific color (#000000, #FFFFFF, #FF0000, ....)
  • Greater Invisibility - invisible to all
  • Haste
  • Sloth
  • Greater See Invisible

--------------------
"If you can solve it, it is an exercise; otherwise, it's a research problem." - Dr. Richard Bellman

Posts: 371 | From: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karst
Verbose Member
Member # 539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karst     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guild Accumulated Stats

Each character shows its deaths, PKs, etc by their name on guild pages, right? Well, wouldn't it be nice if there were a heading to the table, or something that added all the hours, PKs, deaths, etc together to have a single entry?

Example:

If these two entries were the only characters/different players in a guild...

The Real Slim Satan | Ultimate God | Level 100 Heavyweight (Sword-User) age 230:33 (Evergreen) (PKer) Kills:12519, PKs:551, Deaths:232 Rating: 3231 | Thu Oct 10

Desert Shadow (Soul 1339) | Minion | Level 100 Emperor (Sword-User) age 33:13 (Evergreen) (PKer) Kills:1413, PKs:44, Deaths:14 Rating: 961 | Mon Sep 23

Then there would be a heading above all the guild members with these stats, in the respective positions

2 Members-2 Characters | Leader: Ultimate God | Average Level:100, Class:Sword-User, age 263:46, World:Evergreen, PKers, Kills:13932, PKs:595, Deaths:246, Rating:2096 | 0 Inactive Members-0 Inactive Characters

Members for number of different SOUL IDs, Characters for how many different characters. Leader: Ultimate God for the rank of the leader. Average Level for the average level among all characters. Class for the most common class among all characters (if two, list them). age for accumulated age among all characters. World for most common world among all characters (if two, list them). PKers for the most common, PK or non-PK, among all characters (if neither, omit). Kills for accumulated kills among all characters. PKs for accumulated PKs among all characters. Deaths for accumulated deaths among all characters. Rating for average rating among all characters. Inactive Members for number of SOUL IDs with membership but no active characters. Inactive Characters for number of individual characters not active.

T'would let people take a quick glance at the overall stats of the guild. Allow nice-looking accumulated stats. Something to work for in a guild, to have higher stats than the next guild.

premojeda
Member # 3010

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for premojeda   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was encouraged to post this.

Quote by Premojeda
quote:
Would it be possible to set a weapons or spells properties to inflict damage upon not only the enemy but the user as well? I was thinking like a sword that did like for example 40 damage on the monster, but it did like 20% damage on the user as well? And if so, could it do damage to the rest of the members of the party? Sorta like an all spell, but effecting both sides of the battle. A sort of penalty for using a certain weapon/spell. I have not looked that much into the spells/weapons yet as I have been writing the story.

Comments from original post

--------------------
RoadHouse PC
#roadhouse on Efnet
Roadhouse PC Olympics - Are you game enough? Come join in on the fun.

Posts: 47 | From: the womb | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Makarei
Verbose Member
Member # 1646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makarei   Author's Homepage   Email Makarei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think someone has already said this.. somewhere.. about Skin_Change feature where if a player goes to a port (in a scene) and then hire's his boat. when he accept's his boat from a menu system.. he get's booted from that scene. (and he/she class change's to a ship class that has water boot's) and now his skin has changed to a boat. and can only really move on water. until he reaches the next port.

all that scene stuff could easly be done with someone good at coding, but the skin_change option is just something that can't be done yet.. if it was done it would feel like the good old rpg snes games.. again. and make it more realistic then going to a scene and going yup i wanna go there. and when you leave that scene your in a new land.. wow that boat sails fast..

--------------------
7 Years almost done.

Posts: 1040 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ender
Healthy Member
Member # 1834

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ender   Email Ender   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, as promissed, here is a few spells i thought up for various classes... the spells are all designed to be individual to that particular class just to give them a little bit more of a distinction from other classes... so here goes and dont forget to add your comments, peeps...

Sword-User - Tracking... A time based spell, say 3 minutes. When cast and you click on a name on the map screen to see where someone is, the little red arrow appears for the duration of the spell.

Magic-User - Magic Sense... Casting this spell could change the red health bar above peoples heads into a blue bar representing a percentage of peoples Magic Points (for 1 minute or until the caster leaves the scene).

Bow-User - Focal Point... On the map screens, the caster can see the centre of the monster zones (represented by the name of the individual monster, maybe with a pic too and time based to maybe 1 minute) in a similar way to using '/monsters' and having low hunting skills, i.e. just seeing said icon / name but not the circle around it (time based of maybe 1 minute)... The reason ive describled this one as time based and not having the exact zones displayed is so it doesnt conflict with the similar Golden Soul feature.

Music-User - Harken... When cast having the ability to change the tune heard in the camp by the caster to another random tune.

Fist-User - Encounter... A spell allowing the caster to easilly find monsters with no wisdom whilst hunting by maybe chaning the the way the icons look slightly when the hunt button is pressed... for instance having the same icon and blue background but a yellow outline instead of red.

Dart-User - Chameleon... Allowing the chararcter to turn opaque (with maybe a duration of a couple of minutes too).

Book-User - Invoice... Another time based spell (of maybe 1 minute) specifically for use at a Dow Bones, when cast and stocks are checked, the stocks that have made the most money are highlighted green, the least, red. It would mean making money in dow bones is ever so slightly easier for this class as it would be easier to see what to sell and when to sell it.

Spirit-User - Devine Sight... The caster can see ghosts on the map as blue dots (an idea taken from a previous post from Luke about different coloured dots representing different things on the main map)

X-Treme - Foretell... The ability to see what items the monster will drop after it is killed

Beggar - Appeal... I quite like this one... time based, but for a decent amount of time (maybe 5 - 10 minutes). From the time of casting until the spell has expired, the word 'free' in any text appears white making it slightly easier to see whos giving things away.

Scavenger - Foretell... The ability to see what items the monster will drop after it is killed (possibly with a lower success rate than X-treme as Scavengers are far more powerful and used more often by players).

Piano-User - Booty... When cast, the caster finds UP TO 33 percent more gold from a monster.

Note: all spells listed above should only be able to be cast on your own character.

As Dan has spent a considerable amount of time 'balancing' the classes out to make sure that no one has a particular advantgae over another (appart from the abvious 3) i have specifically made suggestions that wont give an extra 'edge' to any of the classes regarding combat.

Oh, and i know that a lot of people will say that if i want these spells in a world then i should make my own world, but like ive mentioned in the past, computer language in any form is well... like another language to me otherwise i would have done this already so im putting them here as possibilities for Dan and any other World Developers to use.

Ender.

[ 02-01-2003, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Ender ]

Posts: 373 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
IceFox/ Silver
Obsessive Member
Member # 2200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IceFox/ Silver   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New wheather effect

Just thought of a new cool wheather effect, we have snow and rain in 3 version (light, medium, heavy) right? Well what if we also get a lighting flash effect in 3 versions, it'd be a lighting flash randomly coming up from the top of the screen (random coordinate X) to coordinate 80 or 90 Y and it moves to another random X coordinate.

It'd be really cool if we could have rain AND lighthing at the same time! [Big Grin]

Or imagine lighting effect combined with FX 9. [Wink]

Silver

--------------------
Silver
RoT's Homepage - ProxBeta

Posts: 7102 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Makarei
Verbose Member
Member # 1646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makarei   Author's Homepage   Email Makarei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
any chance on having personalized shop buttons? i know we can change our shop buttons to what we like. but i was thinking of having, say 5 different types of button images.

1 for the blacksmithy, 1 for the healer, 1 for the spellcraft guild, and 1 for a tavern.. 1 for the port, etc

so when the player goes to the tavern he/she will be able to see the tavern's unquie shop button, instead of the default button used for every bloody shop, arrgghh..

i'm not a coder but, if there was a folder where dev's could put there button images into. then in a script, call upon that button image to replace the defult button image used in every shop. i think it would add a nice feel to wos, being in a tavern with a shop icon related to the scene, as more feel being there.

i dont think it would be hard to do, but i could be wrong.

--------------------
7 Years almost done.

stickman
Member # 3537

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stickman   Email stickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New Item ARG

I would like an ITEM argument that allows me to charge PP for an item. So I can make items cost PP and GP. You could add the arg to the end, or make a dot ( . ) extension for it ( GP.PP ). And it would also be nice to charge Halos and halo points, but Its not important to me.

--------------------
Stick people do NOT have round heads.

Darangen
Compulsive Member
Member # 780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darangen   Email Darangen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A New Monster flag!

"Friendly" Monster Flag

This would cause the monster not to attack at all until attacked by someone, either monster or player.

~Darangen~

--------------------
It's ok, I like girls.
Lea, a world in development.

Posts: 2464 | From: Not of this world | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Darangen
Compulsive Member
Member # 780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darangen   Email Darangen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New Item Properties

Wouldn't it be so very cool to have str, agi, wis, dex, and sta do something with Items? I propose this idea:

Stat Requirements!

When these fields are entered in an item that must be equipped, or even used, The player cannot use them unless he has the given stats. For example:

Extremely Heavy Broadword has 200 str and 95 dex. If the player doesn't have at least 200 str and 95 dex, he cannot equip this item.

Wouldn't that just rock the world? [Big Grin]

~Darangen~

--------------------
It's ok, I like girls.

uhh...... :eek:
Member # 3619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for uhh...... :eek:   Email uhh...... :eek:   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as skills is concerned, what I wanted was something like the train_hand pop-up box, except with 32 different bars instead of 8.

quote:
+SKILL
;args
;0(ID),1("name"),2(PP?),3(Token?)
1, "Mining", 0, 0,
2, "Smithing", 0, 66,
3, "Cooking", 0, 21,
;Max is 32
;in arg2, 0 means you can raise it with PP,
;1 means you can't raise it with PP
;in arg3, 0 means no tokens required to use
;this skill, otherwise, a token # is there
;
;Then, we need a to have a cookie reference
;to them.
;ADD skill.n, 50
;n is the skill's ID
-SKILL

The skills pop-up should be over the elements button, or below that group. Here is a screenshot of what I want should look like:
 -

[ I always like it when someone documents something like this so neatly... makes me want to actually do it... So I started thinking about 'is this the time I finally add support for world-developer-defined-skills? and again I keep coming back to 'what difference would it make to actually be good in a skill'

I mean, in the simplest case (above), the only thing the skill did was let a script test the host's current skill level. Then the script itself would do something based on that.

But I think most people would quickly want a skill level to do something else... like.. defense against certain atatcks, enabling certain spells, etc. I mean things which actually require skill-specific game engine support.

Also, I can't help but see a parallel with the extra elements (elements 9-255)... that they are, when looked at with squinty-enough eyes, actually skills. There we have the advantage that all the weapons armor and spells already have element affinities (hence could be skill affinities).

It all pretty much comes down to what the player believes is happening, since in the end it's really just some spell attack with a name like 'pick pocket' or something. If the engine doesn't support some core function (like 'transfer GP from target to caster') then it won't really make sense to the player.

SO... I think it would have to get developed something like this:

1.) I have to add 'cool special effects' (like diseases) each with some sort of code ID.

* e.g. transfer GP, HP, MP, PP, XP between attacker and attackee (and others)

2.) Ability to bind combinations of 'specials' to individual spells.

3.) Ability to bind spells to element/skills (done!)

4.) Ability to attractively display existing skills and levels. (probably this would merge with/imitate the spell panel in some way... forcing you to pick spell or skill mode, with skill 'selectors' like the element 'selectors' Internally it would all be spells and elements, but we give illusion to player that skills are something else. World developer defines skill-spells as meets their needs.

5.) distribution of enough per player skill info for satisfying experience, obsessive/compulsive competition.

6.) Increased total # of spells

7.) Ability to modify/query skill levels by script.

Perhaps re-factoring the higher elements into 'skills' in the user interface is not an awful first step, even if skills are not particularly useful outside of scripting initially.

-s]

[ 05-31-2003, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

Loric
Healthy Member
Member # 755

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loric   Email Loric   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bug in the Wide Scenes

If you're standing on the far right in a wide scene and someone calls out their pet, WoS will crash. I tested it with a few volunteers using the /bckgrnd command and in a mod with BKGND. Both 200% and 400% were tested and had the same results. All the tests were done with a .25 vertical limit if that matters at all.

The pet would appear and make the long trek to the far left part of the scene, and as soon as it reaches the left hand boundary of the current part of the scene, Wos will crash.

{edit: The person calling the pet out won't crash, only other people in the scene. The Wide Scene will also scroll over to a person if they say something, even if you have the chat bubbles off.}

Loric

[ 06-04-2003, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Loric ]

Devourer Of Souls
Veteran Member
Member # 1744

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Devourer Of Souls   Author's Homepage   Email Devourer Of Souls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All right, let me put it into simpler terms Merl.

If you read Makaeri's topic in the WoS Dev forum about 'Is this your world?', and look at the forest map with a bridge, some of the trees are above the bridge, which is where a player would walk. With that terrain square I suggested, you could make it go above the player when they walked under it.

code:
  UUU
UUUUUUU
UUUUUUU
IIIII
III
IIIII

That is (a pretty lame attempt to make an ASCII) tree. The Us represent the bits of terrain that would go up above the player, and I represents impassable.

If you've ever used RPG Maker 2000, you should know what I mean....

--------------------
-DoS

Dan77307018
Veteran Member
Member # 4126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan77307018   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
We Need These------>Movement paths

I was thinking today about a scripty thing I wanted to write..and I realized that it's nearly impossible with this archaic MOVE command. I mean really..
Say we want a dragon to fly from 20, 75, to 80, 75, in an arch. Now the number of move commands is infathomable, and making the arch smooth is next to impossible. It Can't Be Done™. Not practically anyways. How about an additional argument?
Say..1 is normal movement..2 is arch..etc.
MOVE 1, 80, 75, 2, 2
Like that. The dragon flies in an arch to 80, 75.
Now, granted, I know very little about programming, (except for comment lines-I can do those [Razz] ) but I think it wouldn't be hard to make the movement paths like the attack paths for weapons and monsters..

[ 11-12-2003, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Dan77307018 ]

--------------------
I'm back. For some reason.

Posts: 779 | From: Yes | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
IceFox/ Silver
Obsessive Member
Member # 2200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IceFox/ Silver   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Link editor update

In the link editor we can set the wheather and fx for the camp fight scene backgrounds, but I'm wondering why we can't set the colours for the background there too?

Right now I'll be forced to use a special script for the camp/ fight scene on one of the maps in RoT to change the colours darker. I'm using the background on more places so I can't just darken the image because that would mess up the other backgrounds and another problem is that I'm using more images on that map from which some do not need to have their colours changed. If we can set it in the link editor then all those problems would get fixed emmediately.

Could you add a part where we can enter the colour code for the reasons described above? [Big Grin]

Silver

[ 11-22-2003, 03:20 AM: Message edited by: IceFox/ Silver ]

--------------------
Silver

Darangen
Compulsive Member
Member # 780

It would be cool if we could make partial elemental weapons/armor. What I mean is, a sword that does, lets say 50% physical damage and 50% fire damage, so it would be better against the water element, but not as good as a 100% fire damage weapon.

I figure this could be done in items.txt by adding an element arg flag such as element.nn where the element is chosen, and the nn represents the percentage of that element, the remaining percentage would be physical.

~Darangen~

--------------------
It's ok, I like girls.

Markiller007
Veteran Member
Member # 1825

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Markiller007   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find the most limmiting feature in WoS is the spells system, not the number but the spells capabilities themselves. There are two major limmitations
1. Spell effects
Spells can dammage, heal(one element only), inflict status, buff/debuff stats
2. Monster elements -- spells castable.
All elements above 7, used to limmit castable spells by a monster, are chaos type, and thus are not dammaged more by any paticular element. Also, they can only cast chaos damage spells: you cannot have a monster limmited to one or two spells, one of which being healing.

Previous suggestgions(setting specific spells by monster that can be cast and how often, scripted fight scenes) couldn't be easily implimented, however I belive I may have found a much simpler method to impliment greater monster flexablity. The current system added to allow this (chaos elements over 8, limmiting monster to only cast same chaos element spells) could be greatly improved to allow full flexability, with only one or two monster/spell flags.

Many might argue that the spells system would need a compleate overhaul to over come these, but I can see several ways of more easily adding them to the game engine (and I presume not to difficult to code... hopefully)

1a. Spell/monster sub element
A spell flag which says this element x (8-255) spell does elemental damage of element y (0-7) This would allow a monster who is element 8 to cast healing spells, without making those spells to any other monster who is not element 8.
Monster sub element would be a monster flag, which says this element x (8-255) monster take dammage equivilant to element y (0-7) monsters.
This would allow Chaos monsters to fully appear, and react as a fire enemy would for example, its spells would all do fire damage, and water/ice magic woulc do most dammage to it. And it would be limmited to few spells, giving world developers greater controll over how it acts in battle

1b. Element table
The above method would allow for multiple same chaos number element monsters (say 8) to have a different sub element, which may never be able to work in WoS. For example, a level 10 fire zombie, element 8(chaos).6(fire), a level 80 man-o-war, element 8(chaos).1(water), and a level 56 angelic saint, element 8(chaos).0(healing)
Should this be the case, perhaps rather than assigning sub elements to monsters, an elements table could be formed. Here, all elements 8-255 could each be assigned a name, subelement(which thier dammage is based upon) etc. we already have such a table which could be built upon.

2. More spell flags. Spell flags could be added as new spell ideas are thought up and implimented into WoS. Some ideas could be : -

Spell absorbs damage(somewhere else would be a damage absorbsion %), so should the spell deal 1000 damage, depending on the dammage absorbsion %, the caster would be healed by 10-1000 HP

Spell effects all in battle(enemy and allies), enemies, allies and self healed/damaged.

Spell effects all in battle excluding self. Enemies and allies are damaged/healed caster is not.

Spell dammages caster, The caster takes dammage, as though spending HP to cast the spell. This could either directly cost HP rather than MP(so MP cost becomes dammage taken) Or a seperate value. Another spell flag would also be needed: -

Caster must have HP>spell cost. This would determine weather or not a spell could be cast that would kill the caster. For example: -

Monster A has 10/200HP, and casts Spell A(explode).
Spell A has spell flags 'Spell effects all excluding self', and 'Spell damages caster'. HP cost is 100
Without 'Caster must have HP>spell cost' on, the monster could cast the spell, and would die as result. If the flag was enabled, the spell could only be cast if the monster had over 100 HP(or 100 exactly still; killing the monster)

With just the above few spell flags a whole range of new spells can be formed, suicide spells where the user explodes to deal obscene ammounts of dammage, vampire like drainign abilities, healing spells sacraficing the users HP to heal allies, to name but a few.

With the above implimentations, monster battles could be much more varied, and not down to random spell casting and attacks, while still allowing monster elements to be set however we see fit.
The spell flags could be seen as a seperate issue, to merely improve the range of spell types available.
I dont expect theses changes to happen overnight, nor indeed at all if you belive they are too complex to impliment into WoS as it stands today. However, I think you should strongly concider adding the monster/spell sub elements, even if gradually, to allow greater monster creation flexability.

Posts: 553 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hal
Veteran Member
Member # 1426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hal   Author's Homepage   Email Hal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's actually not a bug. You need that to order pets Binky, bite #1!

Which, incidently, dosn't work.

I've tested it out 5 times, and something always goes haywire. Only think to work constantly is heel. Nice how the pet follows you, as well.

I have a level 96 God pet in RoT. I order Healer, heal 'yourself! And she heals monster #2. I order healer, bite 'weakest! She attacks monster #2, who has no damage. #4 is near death. It goes on and on and on.

ACTOR flags
There are a few various commands (some new) which would be better off as actor flags then args.

1 //Turns off actor # in scene (not actor ID, that's never displayed anyways)

2 //Actor is selected by defualt

4 //when MOVE command is given, arg 3 is assumed to be 1

8 //Actor stays 'on top'

16 //Actor stays 'on bottom'

I can't think of any more off the top of my head. The flags would be arg 8 of the ACTOR command. I'm sure there's more that can be thought of.

Explination of flags 8/16: Useful for, say, a boulder over a cave entrance (part of background) where there's a man trapped (another actor). Otherwise the man magically moves between behind the boulder and ahead. Who needs to rescue HIM?

[ 01-09-2004, 02:00 AM: Message edited by: Hal ]

--------------------
Any and all velca will be added to your personal hahta in Angamando.

Posts: 711 | From: Chanhassen, Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Makarei
Verbose Member
Member # 1646

Member Rated:
I wrote this in here before but someone keeps deleting it. so delete it again and you'll all be sorry!

1 - monster hp mp feature.. monsters can have mp classed as there hp source. and if so there hp will appear as 0. in battles.

[this will very likely never happen -s]

2 - an @eventactorpetattack and @eventactorpetspell feature. (its different when a pet attacks something.. to a player.

[events for pets attacking actors? pets can't/won't attack actors... -s]

3 - more terrains, and boot effects related upon those new terrains.

4 - waypoint image moving, like set up 2-10 dots on a map and have a single picture move along those dots in order. the world dev can set its speed, loop, or is it one shot play.

[unlikely, sorry. -s]

5 - a feature to set a monsters level to ?. or have all monsters level at ?, and only way the player will know of the monsters level, is if they have fought enough of that monster type, or built up there hunt feature button thingy.

[could happen... Already suppresses Book of Demon monsters for un-met enemies. Could extend that to in-scene monster label -s]

6 - make it possable to have scripts running smoothly in the background while a fight is in progress. either that, or allow a second script run in sync while the fight script is running.

[this will never, ever, happen. Sorry -s]

7 - #<num.peopleOnMap> (record how many people are on a map) wanted this feature in to control my random scene, scene encounters. can be used by heaps of other stuff also.

[this could happen -s]

8 - move the amulet equip box, to the top where showall is. move showall somewhere else. and in the amulets old spot, add support for another ring or misc accessory. (we have 8 fingers yet can only equip 1 ring?)

[it is unlikely we will get additional equipment slots -s]

9 - Now that renaming GP is in how about, letting us rename PP, and TNL?

[It is extremely painful to change that stuff, but not impossible. -s]

10 - Allow more class's please!

[I fear 88 per world will be the limit for a long time to come. -s]

11 - Add more hand skills, we have 80 something class's. so how about more hand skills.
also in the box, they can just appear based on what the players player has, or token. like a fighter would have sword shown, and whatever other tokens. that way the hand skill box doesnt get cluttered with skill hand names.

[ I didn't really follow that [Smile] -s]

thats all for now.

[ 01-11-2004, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
7 Years almost done.

X_o
Member # 3893

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for X_o   Author's Homepage   Email X_o   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I would like for A80 are some more cookies. These will help alot of other WorldDevs out as well [at least I think it will =O]
  • Fight Cookies
    Cookiess set after a FIGHT or FIGHT2 has ended
    • #<fight.lastXP>
      This would hold the ammount of Experience Points that were earned during the last fight.
    • #<fight.lastGP>
      This would hold the ammount of Gold that was earned during the last fight.
    • #<fight.lastSP>
      This would hold the ammount of Share Points that was earned during the last fight.[does anyone else besides me know what these do? =P]
    • I'd like to be able to access the above values via cookies because...It's useful info that me [and other WorldDevs, I'm sure] would like to be able to access.
  • Item Cookies
    Cookies with information about items the player has
    • #<num.hostEquipN>
      Item ID of the item the host has in Equip Slot N
I've looked at the Stock Cookies, and from what I can tell, we don't have Cookies that do this yet.

Another thing that might be nice is a new EVENT:
  • @eventSummonPetNNN
    An EVENT triggered when the host summons a pet with monster ID of NNN.
And something that I push for, even though I doubt it will get implemented anytime soon xP:
  • Scene/Webform Interactivity
    Basicly, this would enable the WorldDev to interact behind the scenes with a website, and then access any form elements on a page that is returned from the server.
    • HTML2 <url>
      This is a Scene Command that would navigate to the specified URL in the background [probably passing some variables in the url as well, like you can do with PHP and CGI scripts], and then would set some Cookies that the scene can then access
      • #<form.fieldName>
        This would return the value of the form element named fieldName on the page that was navigated to using the HTML2 command
      • #<form.fieldTypeNN>
        This would return the value of the NNth form element of fieldType [i.e. text, hidden, textarea, etc]
  • MySQL Database Connectivity
    I know I probably kid myself when I ask for this, but It would be nice. This would allow for direct acces to a database on a webserver, whereas the above suggestion could also do the same, but would require a webform. [The database information could be stored in an encrypted file, because with plaintext, people could easily access the DB and destroy everything you were using for the world xD]
  • Encrypted Cookies
    Lets face it. The only cookies that are even remotely secure are most of the Stock Cookies. I know it's been asked for in the past, but I am asking for it again.
    Cookies could be stored in a new hero file, heroName.ck, in the save folder for the world, and could be encrypted so as only WoS can access it [kinda like some of the other hero files are]. And for older characters, couldn't the heroName.ini file be scanned by WoS, and all cookies be moved to the new .ck file? It might help keep older characters from exploding with the new hero file structure.

[ 01-21-2004, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: X_o ]

Darangen
Compulsive Member
Member # 780

It would be cool if we could specify a background jpeg to display when certain spells are cast. Like this:

Johnny casts Inferno. The once peaceful background shifts to a firey background for the remainder of the spell. Once the spell is finished and damage is dealt, the background shifts back to the peaceful background again.

I don't think it'd be too hard, but I know knothing about C++ programming [Razz] .

~Darangen~

--------------------
It's ok, I like girls.

Sir Mj
Obsessive Member
Member # 4642

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Mj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scene Actor Oscillation
Wondering if it's at all possible to allow Scene actor movement to be set to oscillate between 2 scripted points, and at a designated speed ... might look something like :

BOUNCE1 1, 50, 80
PAUSE 1
BOUNCE2 1, 70, 80

Where BOUNCE1 is the start point, BOUNCE2 the secondary point, PAUSE prescribes how long the actor stays at each point before "bouncing" back and the rest of the actor information scripted as per normal character movement. The above example could be the setting for an actor in a scene who is continuously pacing, or for a moving target on a firing range in a new mini game that crazy Mj guy made.

The speed variation, once again in sync with normal movement would look like :

BOUNCE1 1, 40, 70, 1
PAUSE 1
BOUNCE2 1, 70, 70, 1

Suddenly we have a "flashing" object in a scene, which could be useful as say a superhero darting about or (surprise surprise) a flashing target in a mini game made by that crazy Mj guy.

If we wanted to get really tricky we could allow for multiple "bounce points", apply our knowledge of geometry and prescribe circular , ellipsoidal, and other types of movement around a scene.

--------------------
Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.

Sir Mj
Obsessive Member
Member # 4642

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Mj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Empty Slot Coding
(a.k.a girls who looks like boys but don't want to)

Wondering if we can be given an optional code for the levels.txt file which allows developers to change the "empty-handed" image for items. For non-equipped slots I know that WoS presents the 0 frame of the root image for that item class. (i.e. boots.bmp etc)

Because of the way the weapon items are designed, we can effectively give every class in our world different looking hands, paws, claws when they aren't armed. What I am requesting would allow us developers to actually give any gendered classes an appropriate appearance by using codes in the levels.txt file that specify how the players head, torso etc look when unequipped.

Something perhaps like :

EMPTY_"item class" "image extension"."frame #"

e.g.
EMPTY_10 0.1
; Use frame 0 of the helmets_1.bmp when unequipped.

--------------------
Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.

gametweeka
Verbose Member
Member # 3456

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gametweeka   Author's Homepage   Email gametweeka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a simple request that would be of tremendous value to us. It shouldn't be too hard to script either. I want some new attack paths.

1: Actor moves across screen to a position OVER the target and then "throws" an attack frame down onto them and then moves off the screen in the same direction and then reappears on thier side.

This could be used for a fairy dropping dust, sparrow dropping coconuts (for my fellow monty python fans) or particularly for me... a bomber doing a bombing run.

2: Actor moves in an arc, down and toward the enemy while doing the attack frame then swings up and away continuing off the side of the screen, then reappearing on their side of the screen.

This could be used for a monkey swinging from a tree, a bird trying to claw someone, or particular interrest to me... a fighter plane doing a straifing run.

3: Actor moves forward slightly while doing frames 1 and 4... then after moving toward the enemy a little, they do the attack frame and then back up.

This could be used for a number of characters. Ninja's throwing bolos, Wizards using magical weapons, or what I had in mind was a tank or artillery unit moving into position and firing it's cannon and then moving back to the ready line. [Smile]

Please give it some consideration, if the moving off one side of the screen isn't possible perhaps after they attack you could have them "jump" back instantly... Anything like that would be great. THX

--------------------
Hi!

Posts: 1000 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Darangen
Compulsive Member
Member # 780

I think this would be a cool addition:

* Multiple Summons *

Here's what I'd like it to do. Basically add a dotted arg to the spell damage to indicate how many creatures the spell will summon. For example:

arg4 (damage)
-201 (summon same element)
-201.5 (summon 5 of the same element)

A practical use for this: Zombie Lords that summon minions to their aid.

Also...

-200 (summon same)
-200.2 (summons 2 of the same)

Use: Blobs that split themselves or copies of themselves.

Another summon request...

* New Monster Arg - 'Cannot be summoned' *

Basically to stop certain monsters from being summoned from either 'random' or 'same element' summons.

~Darangen~

--------------------
It's ok, I like girls.

Darangen
Compulsive Member
Member # 780

I was thinking the other day how cool it would be to have some new "boot" effects. So here are some ideas and possibilities that would be cool to have.

* Half MP - Whenever the item is worn, the players mp cost is halved.
* Inc Magic Power - Slightly increases magic damage (Sorta like a Wisdom bonus, but without increasing Wisdom).
* Inc Attack Power - Like the Inc Magic Power, but with STR/att.
* Null Element Chance - Randomly (and sparingly) nulls the given element (Damage is reduced to 0), the more of the same element worn, the higher chance of nulling that element.
* Double PP - Doubles the amount of PP gained per action.

Just a few ideas. It'd be nice to have some new effects.

~Darangen~

--------------------
It's ok, I like girls.

IceFox/ Silver
Obsessive Member
Member # 2200

Monster link guarding bugged

This comes from topic some confusion over groups.txt
Basicly it's my test report after Gus asked me to test it too.

quote:

What I did:
- Making a map with 4 links on it;
o 1 link with monsters guarding a link
o 1 link with a normal monster group
o 1 link with no monster groups or monsters
placed closeby
o 1 link with a monster placed on the map closeby (this one got added in the 2nd test run)
- Setting monster groups to random
- Testing everything on various distances from the links by hitting the hunt button and typing /scene 2 if nothing happened.

Results:
- Monsters attack with more the closer you are the link when the link is guarded. (This works just fine.)
Monsters attack with more the farther you are away from a link when the link is not guarded.

- You get the message "There are no monsters here, hunt somewhere else." With the monster link guarding feature. However if you type /scene 2 on a char you end up in a fight anyways. The hunt button doesn't seem to work though.
Even when a normal monster is placed on the map you still have to use /scene 2 to get dragged into a fight. (Just clicking around the link to trigger a fight doesn't work either.) This is the only bug I found!

- If you don't enable the monster guarding features, but use a regular monster group then fights will start as they normally do (when placed on the map) with the hunt button.

- If a link doesn't have any monsters at all closeby you can still get dragged into scene 2 but end up with "You earned nothing from this fight." (This is a known bug though.) (This is without any monsters placed on the map.)

- When there is a monster placed on the map you end up fighting this one, even if a link is far away, unless you're closer to another monster or a link with a monster group, then you'll fight this (/these) monster(s). (This works just fine and as it should be.) [Smile]

Conclusions:
- Everything works fine, except that there isn't any fight triggered when you're close to a link that's guarded by monsters. When a link isn't guarded by monster groups, but does use the monster group feature everything works fine.

I think that summed it up pretty much. [Cool]

Silver

[ 08-03-2004, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: IceFox/ Silver ]

--------------------
Silver

gametweeka
Verbose Member
Member # 3456

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gametweeka   Author's Homepage   Email gametweeka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elemental Monster Weapons/Armor for Allied Monsters

It's kind of wierd but, a human players can have a weapon and armor equipped that boosts thier attack or defense against opposite elements but.... monsters can only set thier "element" which doesn't seem to truely effect thier defense.

I set up a ton of monsters with different elements and had THEM fight it out. When you are wearing elemental armor on a character and you are hit by the opposite element enemy you FEEL that. (ouch) For some reason though... when two MONSTERS of opposite element are beating on EACH OTHER the effect is nothing.

It leads me to believe that the monsters aren't really set up with "elemental armor" and that the fight script adds or subtracts damage based on the element setting whenever they attack, or are hit by, a human player.

Whatever you did to get the elemental effects to work between players and monsters could you please do it so that "allied" monsters are effected the same way?

--------------------
Hi!

Posts: 1000 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
mogura
Healthy Member
Member # 4696

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mogura   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know about the cut scene thing. It's neat and all, but you can't play WoS in just a cut scene. I'm talking about being able to morph into a class with a forced skin for an extended (up to the world dev how long) duration. Right now there's just no way to do that. We're forced to keep any "changes" in a cut-scene.

Wouldn't it be total ownage if you could, as a world dev, morph players into a "werewolf class" for a specific duration and then have them revert back to their standard class and skin thereafter?

There are -several- effects in WoD that pretty much -require- a skin change to work effectively. Examples include vampires turning into bats, wolves, mist, invisible, etc. What's the sense in being able to turn invisible if you can only do so in a cut scene?

--------------------
-mogura

WoD Dev
Unbound Samurai
Purveyor of Ponderings

Posts: 363 | From: orangeville | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
IceFox/ Silver
Obsessive Member
Member # 2200

Bug with hands and morphing

I found out about a strange bug regarding the hands in WoS when morphing.

If you for example have class 3 that's trained to use hand 3 only and use MAX_HAND_PP 0,0,1000000,0,0,0,0,0 Then this character will only be able to train in hand 3 till he has 1M.

During one of the quests this char does it morphes into class 50, which can only use hand 5.
Other stats it has set are:
START_HAND_PP 0,0,0,0,5000,0,0,0 and MAX_HAND_PP 0,0,0,0,1000000,0,0,0

(So it starts with at least level 5, though that shouldn't matter anyways since priveleged hand is set to 5 already.) (The other is set to prevent it can learn levels in other hands.)

This works all fine, except that this character can still use hand 3 as well.

I made a screenshot to clarify the above better:

-

Can you fix it so that when MAX_HAND_PP 0,0,0,0,1000000,0,0,0 is set nothing else but hand 5 can be used? It just looks really weird now in RoT.It appears that the hand levels have dropped to 0 but I think they're actually still at their old levels. I also heard something about a hack allowing people to use hands they have no training in, that might be fixed as well if this bug is gone. [Big Grin]

Silver

Ps. For some reason WoS seems to freeze faster when hands are equiped when morphing, I think it has something to do with the auto unequiping, but I'm not sure. Usually freezing can be prevented by selecting maps or stats. When I find out more about why some people freeze when morphing I'll let you know. [Smile]

[edit]
Ugh, I rechecked my scripts and the standard class uses Axes, so it's a problem for RoT after all. Now my werewolves can use axes and claws instead of only claws. I hope it can be fixed next WoS patch, it'd just look weird and unnatural else.

[edit 25-04-2009]
I was cleaning up my webspace a bit and it seems I removed the screenshot of this as well. I figured at the moment of the clean up that it'd be something that was fixed by now. [Wink]

[ 04-25-2009, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: IceFox/ Silver ]

--------------------
Silver

IceFox/ Silver
Obsessive Member
Member # 2200

New FLAGS: NO_SUMMON

We can block pretty much disease spells, damage spells, debuff spells etc. but I'm wondering why we can't block summon spells.

In RoT I have a tournament in which I'm currently temporarily "stealing" spells from players since they're not allowed to use these on that map. Right now I'm working on a quest on a map on which I rather don't see people use any summon spell at all. It'd just make the quest way to easy and easy is something I don't like after putting a lot of time into making that quest.

I hope you can add it in, after all it's a pretty logical choice seeing we can influence so much else already regarding spells. [Big Grin]

Silver

--------------------
Silver

wosEntity
Verbose Member
Member # 3550

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wosEntity   Author's Homepage   Email wosEntity   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Idea: Battle cries!

Somewhere in monsters.txt perhaps, there could be a space for a quote, and when you fought that monster, a chat bubble would appear above the monster with the quote written. This could easily get chaotic with multiple monsters though, so perhaps a 3 battle cries limit could be imposed or something.

This could probably also be nice with actual players, but since you can just type in stuff..

--------------------
WoS Underworld - WoS resources (half-dead)
Non-WoS Site

Posts: 1000 | From: California, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
IceFox/ Silver
Obsessive Member
Member # 2200

Music "bug":

I have a map in which you randomly go to other links on the map for a quest, this all works great there is just one "bug" (I guess it's not really a bug, but it bugs me anyways!). Whenever I go to a new link with the GOTO LINK command the music starts playing again, instead of continueing the same music sound. The midi that plays is really cool, but not if you only get to hear the first 5 - 10 sec's everytime.

Could you adept WoS in such a way that when you go to a new link it will check which midi is already playing and if it's the same midi that it will keep playing the current one?

WoS already does that when you go into a fight scene and have the same midi playing, same goes for lost and victory midi. If those midi have the same name the midi will just keep playing instead of restarting.

I guess that in a way it's logical that WoS reloads the midi for a map when you enter a new map, but in this case I never even leave the map. (Though I guess that WoS can't tell the difference since it probably thinks that a GOTO LINK command automatically means new map.)

I hope it is possible to fix this so our artistic sounds can play as they're intended to play. [Big Grin]

Silver

--------------------
Silver

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.