Synthetic Reality Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Other Games » Arcadia » synSpace Development Notes (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: synSpace Development Notes
Mosquito
Verbose Member
Member # 814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosquito   Author's Homepage   Email Mosquito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finally, after hitting 3000 lines of code:

- Found the zone problem. It was because of how I set up the undo. When you selected a zone, it just held onto its ID value. When you deleted a zone, it saved an undo file. The save function cleaned up the zone array by getting rid of all Style=0. This changes the the IDs of the zones. When you go to delete a zone, it deletes the wrong one. That is all fixed now.

- The Optimizer is complete. The original idea was for it to create a list of problems and the user could select which ones to fix. This quickly became difficult. So now, it auto-fixes all errors. The way in which it fixes the errors will not effect the map functionality at all unless you are trying to exploit something in the game engine. For example, if you overlap two differnent color barriers to get some kind of visual effect, this will break it. But you can always undo.

- The Fill Area is complete. It works beautifully. It is barrier-expensive so be careful.

- New Delete Area tool. This tool will remove everything inside a selected area. You can set it to only delete barriers or zones or etc. This is good, for example, if you want to remove a Fill Area that is not longer Undoable.

- Save is disabled when it isn't possible. Also, the main title bar also displays the current filename (when there is one).

- I began some documentation. (readme.txt)

- I got sick of the VB icon and no one gave me one, so I made an icon.

Program: http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/c/c/ccw129/projects/ssMapEdt.zip
Source: http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/c/c/ccw129/projects/sourcecode.zip

Posts: 1443 | From: Penn State | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Volte6
Veteran Member
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Volte6   Email Volte6   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 suggestions:

1.) Make fill lines variably spaced.

2.) Make lines auto calculate a broken diagonal line when you try to make one [Wink]

Good work! [Smile]

Posts: 948 | From: Woodland Hills, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mosquito
Verbose Member
Member # 814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosquito   Author's Homepage   Email Mosquito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, by variably spaced, I am guessing you mean to have the spacing based on a function where the current theme is a linear y=mx function (where you can change m). Volte, I guess you want spacing like y=mx^2. Now that is a good idea. If that is combined with, lets say, a zone "river" current, the arrangement of the barriers would indicate direction.

As for diagnal lines. I will make a tool for it. The user will have to decide how chopped up it will be (to control barrier usage). Should be easy to do. Now that I think about it, all it has to be is a checkbox in the regular barrier window ( [] enable diagnal barriers ). Thanks.

So, that leaves:

- Text Tool
- One-Way Barrier Tool
- Copy Tool
- Diagnal Tool
- Documentation
- Variable Spacing in Fill Area?
and
- fix bugs

Mosquito
Verbose Member
Member # 814

Member Rated:
What it is interesting is running the optimizer on some older maps. The grand prix maps all have between 15 and 30 "problems" that are corrected by the optimzer. Many other maps have at least a few "problems."
Zao
Compulsive Member
Member # 2982

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zao   Email Zao   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are the coolest person ever.
Posts: 2030 | From: Stupid Ohio | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hesacon   Author's Homepage   Email Hesacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More power-ups!
I can see more weapons to add to the homing missile and proxie-mine, and more defencive weapon thingies to add to the shield and warp coil...

Weapons:
Stun gun-slows ships to 1/4 max speed or something to that effect.
Spray shot-shoots 40 or so regular shots in a circular path from your ship outward(like an explosion).
Defencive:
negative gravity-reverse of the gravity of a large sun, the negative sun being your ship for a short time.
speed boost-double speed temporarally...

That would be like, samsyn level ownage.

--------------------
SoV: Exalted Devout Oracle | World Developer | The Black Guard
Outside is just a prank older kids tell younger kids at Internet Camp

Posts: 9479 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zao
Compulsive Member
Member # 2982

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Zao   Email Zao   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A centralized guild hall page or something similar to the WoS guild hall.

Perminant records like kills, accuracy, deaths, ect...

Posts: 2030 | From: Stupid Ohio | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
DT26
Healthy Member
Member # 2733

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DT26   Email DT26   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the spray-shot would be better than the stun thing. Double speed would get fun.

Permanent records, would get odd. I wouldn't mind those records when there are no power-ups , because then it sometimes it's just senseless killing and people sit on homing missiles powerups and just homing everyone for as long as they can/feel like.

And as far as accuracy goes, I don't like that idea. Mainly due to the factor of lag, and that'd be really hard to keep track of. Because even if you hit on your screen you might of missed on theirs, and if you missed on your screen you just might of hit them on theirs. =P

--------------------
Sludge: long live the depression, is what I say, if it means continually cheaper prices!

Posts: 308 | From: In a Blimp | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hesacon   Author's Homepage   Email Hesacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are 8 functional f# keys for synspace, if he added my weapons, you could fill them all up...

--------------------

DT26
Healthy Member
Member # 2733

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DT26   Email DT26   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could fill them all up, but other people might have better ideas. =)

--------------------
Sludge: long live the depression, is what I say, if it means continually cheaper prices!

Posts: 308 | From: In a Blimp | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Thats why there is a toy preferances button [Smile]

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the fkeys are not hard-wired to specific weapons.. the slots just fill up as you pick things up.

so if there were more than 4 weapons, or more than 4 defense things, you would be unable to pickup/use once the slots were full.

a STRATEGIC decision you would then have to make.

--------------------
He knows when you are sleeping.

Posts: 10610 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Does that mean we can look forward to new weapons?

--------------------

FatBatMonkey
Verbose Member
Member # 5406

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FatBatMonkey   Email FatBatMonkey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that a cluster bomb of some kind would be good. It drops out the back of the ship like a mine, then about two or three seconds later it explodes, shooting out, damaging any ship in the vicinity. Stupid to use stationary, but an effective deterrent in a dogfight.

--------------------
Hi biznatches :D

Posts: 1701 | From: Cair Paravel | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
abyaly
Healthy Member
Member # 4498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abyaly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Negative gravity is acting wierd. It attracts ships within a certian distance and repels those outside of it. I think the distance is influenced by mass, radius, or both.

--------------------
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Posts: 152 | From: yesterday | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
since that game hasn't changed in a billion years, I suspect you are using your old "hey. let's use a number 50x bigger than Dan expected" trick again, aren't you! Admit it!

Though I would have thought I would have used 'doubles' for that, so dunno how you could do that.

OK, I do use doubles.

When reading in the file though, I impose all sorts of limitations... like 8191 being a popular one..

the fifth star argument, in particular (the 'reach') of the star will be weird if you use a value greater than 8191. When you are beyond the 'reach' of a star, it should not affect you. The translation of 'reach' to pixels is not 1:1

the 'mass' should be around 1000 for a 'normal' star

---------

I played synSpace last night for the first time in a while. I like it :-)

EXCEPT, I got a better gamepad (more PS2-like) but it has a zillion buttons and none map nicely. So I need to make a button mapper.. and it needs to be part of Arcadia, so I can re-use it in the individual Toys, and save preferences on a per-toy basis.

And I think that will be something like this:

1.) a Dialog invoked by the Toy itself, but coded in Arcadia

2.) It has a section at the top showing the state of the 16(?) possibly gamepad buttons, so you can push a button and see it light up, to know its button number.

3.) It has a section of "named functions" where the names come from the toy itself and next to each name is either an edit box or a drop down combo which lets you specify which button to assign to that function.

And... I guess.. um... a separate section for joystick assignments... for which there are only 2.

And, um, I guess, a means to let you select which gamepad to use for the toy, if you have several... or something.. with some sort of planning for the POSSIBILITY of a single toy supporting mulitple gamepads so you could do multiplayer in solo mode, so to speak.

BUt simple and boring.

--------------------

Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flamelord   Author's Homepage   Email Flamelord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What if someone used a converted XBox controller? Would they be able to use the D-pad as well as the analog joysticks? [Confused]

--------------------
Constantinople! We shall never forget your zany barge poles!

Posts: 4232 | From: Gresham, OR | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
GuppyMan
Compulsive Member
Member # 44

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GuppyMan   Email GuppyMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are going to add a mapper...could you add one for the keyboard as well?

Playing on various laptops is rather difficult. They all seem to put the darn insert/end/etc keys in different places.

Also as far as negative gravity acting "weird"... I think this relates to an old bug that you said you would not fix.

"Normal" gravity has always acted weird in synspace. If you coast through a star you can usually make it through if you have certain amount of engines. If you coast in, and then on the way out fire your thrusters, which should counter act the gravity at least partially.... What does it do instead? It causes you to get pulled into the sun much faster. Why do you think so many new people die in the sun so much?

[ 12-29-2005, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: GuppyMan ]

Posts: 2675 | From: Washington | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
SYNSPACE .0025 RELEASE NOTES
----------------------------

I choose to selectively ignore that :-)

---

The GamePad Customization stuff took a lot longer than I budgeted. And I only feel 30% good about the design.

I will push a new Arcadia NOW, and a new synSpace right after that. If you upgrade in the wrong order, then... things.. might be weird for you.

the ONLY change in this release (I think) is the gamepad customizations.

Note: you have to enable gamepad use first and THEN customize, as I store the customizations per gamepad. (so if you have umpteen gamepads..)

Note: Windows supports '32 buttons' so I allow you to map all 32 of them, even though there are only.. um.. six actual functions in synSpaces (you can map many to one, for most of them)

Note: The D-Pad and analog sticks are NOT 'buttons' and so they are not mapped by today's changes. You should find yourself today with the same D-Pad you had yesterday.

[ 12-29-2005, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flamelord   Author's Homepage   Email Flamelord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if this is a known bug or a hitherto unknown one, but this is kind of strange: players in the Park show through in the Game!

And yes, the capital letters are intentional.

The face moved around in an arc or in a straight line with me, and it only showed up when the player was moving around. Very strange. This was on an IPX LAN game (with my little sister, of all people! [Roll Eyes] ).

Sooo, here's the screenie:

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/8547/whatinthe0hj.png

Warning to dial-uppers: The image is a 1600x1200 PNG file, which you may want to avoid. It has an Arcadian "face" showing up on the space area in the game.

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
that's a feature. if you click on one of your toolbar emotion buttons, that is how people see your emotion changed.

technically I want ALL the toys to feature your arcadia face SOMEWHERE, but synSpace is one of the few that really does.

well, let's see.

synSpace, Domination, TurnAbout, pool, synSpades feature your face..

I should definitely add it to collaboration.. and synVille would work... synJet would need some justification like a diary, but maybe it would work with the selected target and splash messages... synVideo could show it during downloads... not sure where it would make sense in Empyrion... synJam is already too crowded... though showing just the moderator might work.. or a current bandmember screen if there were a compelling need for one.. which leaves.. um.. chess! oh yeah, I could definitely add it to chess.

--------------------

O.G.
Compulsive Member
Member # 5304

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for O.G.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flamelord, that image is smaller than this page...

--------------------
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom"
O.G.

Posts: 4510 | From: Why would you want to know that? | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
abyaly
Healthy Member
Member # 4498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abyaly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
You could add an argument to the empyrion editor to use a face instead of a bmp for a building image.

--------------------
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Posts: 152 | From: yesterday | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Um, it was flying around through space at the same rate my sister (the other player) was moving through the park. It wasn't just showing a face change, it was showing her face moving around where other ships should be flying around, and at its rate of movement, it was quite distracting.

I'm sure it's a bug. I can't believe that faces should bleed through like that; this would be the first time a feature in Arcadia didn't make sense. [Frown]

[the official synSpace Face painting is as follows:

1.) I click on an emotion button

2.) everyone sees my face zoom from the distant left, to the center of the screen then out the front left, like it was riding on a phonograph turntable whose center was just off the left side of the screen.

3.) if you press another emotion before the first animation finishes, it restarts te animation from the back left again.

I can't really fantasize a park leakage bug, but I won't say it would be impossible

Push your own emotion buttons a bit. If it looks different, then it must be something different. -s]

[ 07-13-2006, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
It moves in a circle along the left of the screen last I checked, coming in near the top and exiting near the bottom.

--------------------

Maghnus
Healthy Member
Member # 6517

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maghnus   Author's Homepage   Email Maghnus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And I feel I should add for pure clarity that it's completely normal for it to move as Hesa described.

--------------------
Who is Hotaru Tomoe?

Posts: 188 | From: Stratosphere | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
The movement occurs not just when my sister was changing face emotions, but also as she was simply moving through the park near my representation in the park. [Frown]
qazqwert
Member # 7515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for qazqwert   Author's Homepage   Email qazqwert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
please tell mousquto how to make those superspeed walls in his editor. i really want to make something simalar to spiral.

--------------------
m2 ruls

Posts: 2 | From: 114 back street | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
I doubt you'll ever see an update to his program, I haven't seen him around in forever.

--------------------

Maghnus
Healthy Member
Member # 6517

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maghnus   Author's Homepage   Email Maghnus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spiral is done with zones, by the way. It has little to do with the walls. Just open it up in Moquito's editor and take a look.

--------------------
Who is Hotaru Tomoe?

Posts: 188 | From: Stratosphere | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nobody
Veteran Member
Member # 7934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nobody   Email Nobody   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an idea I had, but would it be possible to eventually have changing barriers?
For example, every 30 seconds or so, the barrier type would change between maybe healing, a wall, damage, or it would just simply let you pass through at times.

--------------------
All is silent in the halls of the dead.

Posts: 991 | From: The Abyss | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Just to answer this question 10 years later. Yes, now you can have changing barriers in "synSpace for Android" also known as synSpace: Drone Runners

But I am really only posting this to bring a different topic to the top of the list since the current top has something slightly negative

So, blah blah blah, marketing message, blah blah blah, available on Amazon (for Kindle Fire) and in the Google Play Store. It runs on most android devices, but needs at least a 4" screen, I would say.

And just to duplicate words found in many other places, SS:DR is forwards compatible with arcadia:synSpace starmaps, but the new maps can now include scripting (in Lua) and that scripting can then make barriers change in response to time, game state, or other actions.

For example, I am currently working on a map called Defense of the Clones which is basically a DOTA clone, or my attempt there-at. That requires gates and towers that can be destroyed. To sense that sort of thing, the scripted portion of the map adds "NPCs" to the map, and they can be given health points and defense layers to adjust how long they hold up to weapons fire. At a certain point they 'die' and that sends a message to the script who then swaps out the barrier for something that indicates a break in the wall, for example. An NPC can either be invisible (just there to sense events and report to the script) but usually has a SHELL associated with it (on my map, the SHELL in question is supposed to look like the weapons turret, and I put on on either side of each 'gate' The two teams are trying to cross the map into the other team's clone reactor, to destroy it, and have to fight past enemy gates and minions (in addition to humans, but in theory I guess you could play this solo)

Anyway, your wish was heard, and granting took a mere decade!

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
what 2009? I'm sure that said 2007 when I started typing

Oh right, links

Google Play Store
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.synthetic_reality.synspace&hl=en

Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Synthetic-Reality-Co-synSpace-Runners/dp/B06X1BYNT7

Youtube Commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzbv19162pw&t=189s

Youtube Game Overview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqw2wsfIgIU

youtube builtIn synth/sequencer stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7debGnSK42s

Way Too Many(tm) Development Videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/Samsyn2/videos

[ 04-07-2017, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.