Synthetic Reality Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » General Madness » Random Announcements » Rox's Recipe Box Returns (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Rox's Recipe Box Returns
OrchidMystique
Veteran Member
Member # 2934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for OrchidMystique   Author's Homepage   Email OrchidMystique   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Psy,
I wondered what happened to everything, usually I dont mind the comments unless they have nothing at all to do with the thread.
But next time, would you please leave the feedback threads? Those are the ones where someone tried a recipe from here and then posted whether they had problems or how it came out, etc.
That's where I get other ideas and sometimes helpful hints on making a recipe better.

You are a good moderator, keep it up.
I'll see what kind of a recipe I can come up with for you. lol

[ 02-08-2006, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: OrchidMystique ]

--------------------
Roxanne
Mistress of Visions
*Your eyes are the windows to your soul, do not close them to me*

Posts: 758 | From: Washington | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brooklyns Brawler
Member # 6819

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brooklyns Brawler   Email Brooklyns Brawler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa,Roxy just made me hungry..Microwave T.v Dinners all the way for this kid

--------------------
I'm about a dollar what the F*** is 50 Cent

Posts: 85 | From: You can find me on the block 30/30 by my side | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
OrchidMystique
Veteran Member
Member # 2934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for OrchidMystique   Author's Homepage   Email OrchidMystique   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] BB, for shame, microwave TV dinners????? puhleazzzzzzz! Maybe you should check out Jared's favorite section, the "Idiot Proof" Recipes.

Second Level coming up

--------------------
Roxanne
Mistress of Visions

OrchidMystique
Veteran Member
Member # 2934

Member Rated:
Second Level Idiot Proof Recipes.

This means they are harder then the other Idiot Proof Recipes but still easy to do. So for those of you who want to cook but need help, or you rely on a microwave, these are for you.
From Appetizers to Main Dishes!
---------------------------------------------

**Pizza Fondue**

1/2 cup finely chopped pepperoni
1 sweet red or green pepper, chopped
4 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 (14 ounce) jar Prego spaghetti sauce
---
1. In a 1 1/2 quart microwave safe casserole dish, combine pepperoni and pepper. Cover with lid; microwave on high for 3 minutes, stirring once during cooking.
2. Stir in cream cheese and Parmesan until smooth and well blended. Stir in spaghetti sauce. Cover, microwave 5 minutes on high, stirring once during cooking. Serve with Italian bread for dipping, makes about 3 cups.
-------------------------------------------------

**Cheese-Topped Sandwich Stacks**

4 English Muffins, split and toasted
8 slices of bacon, halved, cooked and drained
1 1/3 cups shredded lettuce
8 ounces thinly sliced cooked ham
2 medium tomatoes, sliced
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's condensed Cream of Mushroom soup
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
---
1. place toasted English muffins on a cookie sheet. Top each half with bacon, lettuce, ham and tomato slices. Set aside.
2. In a 2 quart saucepan, combine soup and milk. Over medium heat, heat through, stirring occasionally. Add cheese, Worcestershire sauce and dry mustard. Heat until cheese melts, stirring contantly. Pour sauce over each muffin.
3. Broil 4 inches from heat of broiler for 1 to 2 minutes or until tops start to brown (when using broiler, watch food very closely, the broiler cooks quickly and will burn food if you arent careful.
Serves 4

**Chicken Salad Croissants**

2 cans (5 ounces each) Swanson premium chunk chicken
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon lemon juice
a dash of pepper
4 Croissants, split
butterhead lettuce leaves
2 medium peaches, thinly sliced
---
1. in medium bowl, combine chicken, mayonnaise, onion, lemon juice and pepper. Cover, refridgerate at least one hour.
2. To serve: on bottom half of each croissant, layer lettuce, chicken salad and peaches. Top with other half of croissant.
Serves 4

**Tex-Mex Chili**

1 pound lean ground beef
1 cup chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (it will say that on bag)
3 cups V8 vegetable juice
1 (20 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
sweet red and green pepper,and celery leaves for garnish
---
1. In 3 quart saucepan over medium heat, cook beef, onions, garlic, chili powder, cumin and pepper until beef is browned and onion is tender, stirring to separate meat. Spoon off fat.
2. Stif in flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in V8 juice. Heat to boiling, stirring often. Reduce heat to low. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add beans. Simmer 15 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
4. To serve: garnish with pepper rings and celery leaves.
or spoon into bowls and top with shredded cheese, chopped green onions, chopped tomatoes and chopped green peppers.
--------------------------------------------------
Hopefully this will give you a good start, I'm still looking for more easy recipes. Have fun and tell me how they come out.

--------------------
Roxanne
Mistress of Visions

Brooklyns Brawler
Member # 6819

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brooklyns Brawler   Email Brooklyns Brawler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could cook but I really am an Idiot lol..I tried making instant Pancakes once and that was a mess but maybe I could get my girlfriend to make me somethin off this list.

Italian Women know how to cook..Roxy makes me hungry with each new post keep doin ya thing Girly Girl.

--------------------
I'm about a dollar what the F*** is 50 Cent

Posts: 85 | From: You can find me on the block 30/30 by my side | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
OrchidMystique
Veteran Member
Member # 2934

Member Rated:
Well BB, it's a long list so you have a lot to choose from. Knock yourself out.
And I may not be Italian but I am of European Descent, does that count? lol

[ 03-08-2006, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: OrchidMystique ]

--------------------
Roxanne
Mistress of Visions

OrchidMystique
Veteran Member
Member # 2934

Member Rated:
Ok I found a new cookbook, it has recipes from all over the world. I am hoping to actually get some feedback this time. I know you guys haven't stopped eating and a lot of you enjoy cooking so come on ppl. Get with it.

I figured we would visit the Middle East first, some of these recipes sounded really good.
===============================================
**Red Pepper Hummus**

2 large chopped garlic cloves
1 15 ounce can of garbanzo beans, drained
1/3 cup Tahini (sesame seed paste)
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped and drained roasted red pepers from the jar.
salt and pepper.
--Using a food processor, drop garlic throgh the food tube and mince it. Scrape down the sides of the work bowl. Add Garbanzo beans, tahini and lemon juice; process until mixture is smooth. Add roasted peppers; process until peppers are finely chopped. Transfer hummus to a small bowl.
* served with pita bread triangles and a variety of raw vegetables, makes a great snack for parties. You can find Tahini in any natural foods store and some supermarkets. *
=================================================
*Wild Rice-Stuffed Grape Leaves*

6 tablesppons olive oil
1 onion, chooped
2/3 cups Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup dried currants

1/4 cup pine nuts
salt and pepper

1 8 ounce jar grape leaves, drained
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

Fresh lemon wedges
chopped fresh parsley
---Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add rice and allspice and stir 30 seconds. Add 1 1/2 cups water and currants, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy small skillet over medium-low heat. Add pine nuts and saute until golden brown. about 6 minutes. Mix nut mixture into rice. Season with salt and pepper.
Bring large pot of water to boil. Add grape leaves and stir to separate. Turn off heat; let stand 1 minute. Drain. Rinse with cold water to cool; drain well. Cover bottom of heavy large skillet or dutch oven with about 10 grape leaves, pressing about 1 inch up sides of skillet. Arrange 1 leaf, vien side up, on work surface. Place 1 rounded tablespoons rice fillng near stern. Fold in sides. Fold in sides, then roll up jelly roll fashion. Repeat with remaining filling and leaves. Arrange stuffed leaves, seam side down, close together in leaf lined skillet.
Drizzle 3 tablespoons oil over rolled leaves. Add 1/4 cup water and fresh lemon juice. Bring to biol. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook 50 minutes. Cool completely.
Arrange stuffed grape leaves on platter, Garnish with lemon and parsley....

ok that's enough for now lol
have fun

[ 05-16-2006, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: OrchidMystique ]

--------------------
Roxanne
Mistress of Visions

Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flamelord   Author's Homepage   Email Flamelord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been tempted for a while to put all this on a web page and host it someplace... But I never found the time.

--------------------
Constantinople! We shall never forget your zany barge poles!

Posts: 4232 | From: Gresham, OR | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fossil
Compulsive Member
Member # 3154

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fossil   Author's Homepage   Email Fossil   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roxy you make me hungie!

--------------------
Your gifted... or your not.

Posts: 4159 | From: Tucson,AZ | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
OrchidMystique
Veteran Member
Member # 2934

Member Rated:
FOSSYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY you old hound dog, where you been hiding? I misses you. [Frown] get your tuckus on AIM one of these nights so we can talk.

Actually Flame, that idea came up once before but nothing came of it due to tight schedules. But a friend and I are working on a site called College cooking and these recipes plus others will be posted on it. I'll let you know when it's finished.

[ 05-16-2006, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: OrchidMystique ]

--------------------
Roxanne
Mistress of Visions

Fossil
Compulsive Member
Member # 3154

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fossil   Author's Homepage   Email Fossil   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds Yummy.

--------------------
Your gifted... or your not.

Posts: 4159 | From: Tucson,AZ | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
OrchidMystique
Veteran Member
Member # 2934

Member Rated:
Good Evening People: Tonight we are going to France (in our kitchens anyway)

**Mussels with Shallots and Thyme**

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
6 shallots, finely chopped
8 fresh thyme sprigs
2 bay leaves
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup bottled clam juice
1/4 cup whipping cream
2 pounds mussles, scrubbed & debearded
salt and pepper
---Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots; saute until softened, about 10 minutes. Add thyme, bay leaves, wine, clam juice and cream; bring to a boil, reduce heat; simmer until mixture is reduced to 1 cup, about 10 minutes. Add mussels, cover and simmer until mussels open, about 7 minutes; discard any mussels that do not open. Using tongs, divide mussels in bowls. Season broth with salt and pepper. Ladle broth over mussles.
**Lentil and Celery Root Salad**

1 1 1/4 pound celery root (celeriac)
1 cup French green lentils

6 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
large pinch of ground nutmeg
salt and pepper
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
---Cook celery root in pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 45 minutes. Drain, cool and peel. Cut enough of the root into 1/4 inch cubes to yield 1 1/2 cups.
Cook lentils in pot of boiling salted water until tender but firm to bite, about 20 minutes. Drain and cool.
Whisk olive oil, vinegar, garlic, rosemary and nutmeg til they are well blended in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, add blue cheese.
Mix celery root, lentils and dressing in bowl and let stand til room temperature
================================================

okay thats it for tonight, have fun

--------------------
Roxanne
Mistress of Visions

Death Angel
Verbose Member
Member # 3707

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Death Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Death Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love you for making this topic. I'm gonna learn how to cook now. And try not to burn my kitchen down.

--------------------
Much love-

//-Kul'Aris-//

Posts: 1003 | From: Ontario, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Phoenix55
Verbose Member
Member # 6035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoenix55   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Get me a good recipe for Sour cream twists damn it! I can never find a good one.

--------------------
~SS~
The Army of Many

Posts: 1015 | From: Jupiter | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crystal Phoenix
Healthy Member
Member # 2901

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crystal Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But a friend and I are working on a site called College cooking and these recipes plus others will be posted on it. I'll let you know when it's finished.
People like you are my heroes ^.^

--------------------
A man chooses... a slave obeys...

Posts: 224 | From: Caladan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
OrchidMystique
Veteran Member
Member # 2934

Member Rated:
Thanks for the feedback. It's always appreciated.
Sorry I haven't been doing much lately, but school takes most of my time so I haven't been recipe hunting.
But I haven't forgotten.
Sour Cream twists?? Hmmmm I'll have to check into that one.
As far as the website is concerned, I haven't been able to track my friend down so I haven't gotten a progress report on that yet. I'll let you know when I do.

Oh and DA, the secret to not burning down your kitchen is to never use high heat and watch what you are doing. [Wink]

[ 07-25-2006, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: OrchidMystique ]

Cindy
Member # 7216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cindy   Email Cindy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought I'd add some good stuff from my mine and my mother's recipe book ^^

**Fruit Pizza**
Crust- 1/2 a cup of margerine
3/4 a cup of sugar
1 egg

mix well and add 1 3/4 a cup of flower
1/2 tsp. of baking soda
1 tsp. of cream of tarter

method- grease a pizza pan and press dough mixture over the pan. bake on 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Frosting mixture- 8 oz. of cream cheese
1/2 cups of sugar
1 tsp. of vanilla
mix and spread over the cooled crust
top it with fruit whatever fruit you'd like
in circles over the frosting,

Glaze-if you'd like anyway
1/2 a cup of pineapple juice and I'm not sure of this because all it says is T, that's either table spoon or teaspoon.
1T of cornstarch
cook the glaze until mixed and clear.

Here's a fun one for when you're bored sick and you're willing to try anything I mean anything
it's also good for activities with kids.

**Omellets in a bag**

Crack 2 eggs large or extra large into a ziplock bag
not more then 2 shake to combine them.
add anything you'd like or put out a variety for any guests you do it with.
Air out the bag and zip it up
Place the bag/s into boiling hot water for exactly 13 minutes. You can usually cook 6-8 in a large pot.
Open the bags and the omellet will easily slip out.
And there you have, an omelett in a bag!

Okay try this one!
It's not really anything you can eat but I have to admit it's fun to play with.

**Non-Edible Goop**
9-oz plastic cup
1 tbls. liquid starch
2 tbls. white glue
food coloring optional<-I just use a regular marker and color the goop with that

Combine the liquid starch, glue, and food coloring in a plastic cup. Stir until well mixed; let mixture stand for approximatley five minutes. Repeat the stir and stand process for 2 minutes. Then you can handle the goop and enjoy.

This is my favorite-
**Liza's homemade macaroni and cheese**

Ingredients:
1/4 pound of bacon
1 pkg 8 oz. elbow macaroni
1/4 a cup of butter
1/4 a cup of all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 cups of milk
2 cups of grated cheese
if desired 1 1g. tomato, thickly sliced

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cook macaroni as package directs;drain. Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan; remove from heat. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to boil, stirring; reduce heat and simmer mixture 1 minute. Remove from heat.

Stir in 1 1/2 cups of cheese, the 1/4 cup of bacon, and the macaroni. Pour into a 1 1/2 quart shallow casserole dish. Arrage tomato slices on top. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Bake 15 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. Makes 4-6 servings.

Enjoy!

Posts: 11 | From: Spokane, Washington | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
OrchidMystique
Veteran Member
Member # 2934

Member Rated:
Thanks Cindy, it's always nice to see another cook sharing the spotlight. Those sound good (except for that non-edible one) lol Post as often as you like. That fruit pizza sounds interesting!

Oh and for future reference, 'T', TBL or TBSP mean Tablespoon. tsp or 't' means teaspoon. If you aren't sure about that kind of stuff, go back to page 2, I think I listed most if not all of the various abbreviations for the measurements.

[ 08-30-2006, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: OrchidMystique ]

--------------------
Roxanne
Mistress of Visions

OrchidMystique
Veteran Member
Member # 2934

Member Rated:
By the way, Phoenix. I'm still looking for a recipe for your sour cream twists, you are right about not being able to find one but hey, if I can't find one, I'll make one. So bear with me, I haven't forgotten.

--------------------
Roxanne
Mistress of Visions

saber'
Compulsive Member
Member # 1219

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for saber'   Email saber'   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*waves*
Posts: 2733 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
OrchidMystique
Veteran Member
Member # 2934

Member Rated:
lol hey Saber, how's it going?

--------------------
Roxanne
Mistress of Visions

saber'
Compulsive Member
Member # 1219

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for saber'   Email saber'   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same old same old.
Posts: 2733 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
OrchidMystique
Veteran Member
Member # 2934

Member Rated:
Yes I know. I am been neglecting the Recipe Box. I will try to do better. So keep your eyes open for lots of new recipes over the next couple weeks.
And as always, feel free to post your own recipes here.

--------------------
Roxanne
Mistress of Visions

OrchidMystique
Veteran Member
Member # 2934

Member Rated:
My mom is a huge Rachel Ray fan so tonight I thought I would raid Rachel's recipes. I hope you like what I found. For those of you who don't know who Rachel Ray is, she has her own show on Food Network and she is an awesome cook.

**Ginger, Scallion and Garlic Shrimp**

1 large egg, 1 TBL cornstarch, 1 1/2 tsp sugar,
2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp ground pepper, 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp (shelled and deveined), 6 garlic cloves finely chopped, one 1 1/2 inch piece of ginger scrapped and finely chopped, 1/2 crushed red pepper, 1/4 vegetable oil, 3 scallions halved lengthwise, cut into 1 inch pieces (dark green parts set aside), Steamed Rice
----------------------
1. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg white with the cornstarch, sugar, salt and pepper until a paste forms. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Set the shrimp aside for 10 minutes to marinate. In a small bowl, combine the garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes; set aside.
2. Heat a large, heavy skillet over high heat for 3 minutes, Then turn down to medium. Add the oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the skillet. Add the shrimp and the white and light green scallion pieces, stir to coat with oil. Cook, stirring and scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the skillet, until the shrimp is almost cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic mixture and the dark green scallion pieces and cook, stirring until the shrimp are cooked through, about 1 minute more. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer the shrimp to a large platter and serve with steamed rice.
**Bacon Fried Rice**

2 cups long grain rice, 8 strips of bacon, cut crosswise into 1 inch pieces (about 12 ounces),
5 TBL canola oil, 1 large yellow onion, chopped,
4 scallions, thinly sliced, dark green parts set aside, 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped, One 10 ounce package frozen peas, thawed (about 2 cups),
5 large eggs, lightly beaten, 2 tsp sesame oil,
salt and freshly ground pepper.
--------------------
1. In a medium saucepan with a tight fitting lid, cover the rice with water; swish the rice through the water with your fingers or stir with a wooden spoon until the water becomes cloudy, then drain the rce through a fine mesh drainer. Repeat this process 2 more times. Return the rice to the saucepan and add 1 1/2 cups of water, cover and cook over medium-low heat until the water has been absorbed and the rice is cooked, about 22 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside, covered for 10 minutes to finish cooking, then fluff with a fork.
2. Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 15 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and discard the bacon fat.
3. Return the skillet to the stove and turn the heat to medium-high. Add 2 TBL of the oil, the onionand the white & light green scallion slices, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, 1 TBL of the oil and the cooked rice, and stir to coat. Add the peas and stir again. Make a large well in the rice and add the remaining 2 TBL of the oil, and the eggs. Let the eggs set for 1 to 2 minutes, then scramble them with a fork and cook for 2 minutes more. Stir the eggs into the rice, breaking them up into small pieces. Turn off the heat, add the bacon, half of the dark green scallion slices and the sesame oil, and stir. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving platter and top with the remaining scallions.
================================================
Okay, that's it for tonight. Have fun.

--------------------
Roxanne
Mistress of Visions

OrchidMystique
Veteran Member
Member # 2934

Member Rated:
I'm raiding Rachel's recipes again, I'll be posting holiday recipes for those of you who want to try something new. And remember if you have a favorite holiday recipe that you would like to share, be my guest. The recipes I am posting are from Rachel Ray's magazine called "Everyday"
=========================================
**5 Vegetable Fried Rice with 5 Spice Pork**
2 cups chicken broth, 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice, 5 TBL vegetable oil, 1 pound thin pork loin chops, sliced thin.
Salt and fresh ground pepper, 2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder, 2 large eggs, beaten. 1/2 pound shiitake mushroom, stemmed and sliced thin.
1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced, 2 small carrots, shredded, 1 scallion, thinly sliced on an angle, 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen peas, 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped, one 2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated,
1/3 to 1/2 Tamari (dark soy sauce)
--------------------
1. In a medium saucepan, bring the broth and 3/4 cup water to a boil. Stir in the rice, cover and cook over low heat for 18 minutes. Fluff with a fork and spread on to a baking sheet to cool.
2. In a large, deep nonstick skillet or wok, heat 2 TBL oil over high heat. Season the pork with salt, pepper and the five spice powder; add to the pan and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
3. Heat 1 TBL oil in the skillet, add the eggs and scramble for 2 minutes. Push the eggs to the side of the pan, add the remaining 2 TBL of vegetable oil and lower the heat to medium. Add the mushrooms, red pepper and carrots, and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the cooked rice and crisp it for a couple minutes. Stir in Tamari and pork.
**Chestnut Stuffing**

1 pound bulk pork sausage, 1 chopped onion, 3 stalks celery, finely chopped. 2 carrots, finely chopped. 2 Granny Smith Apples, cored and chopped, one 1 pound bag of Herb Stuffing mix,
8 ounces jarred roasted chestnuts, coarsely chopped, 1 cup walnut pieces, toasted, 2 cups chicken broth, salt and pepper.
-------------------
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large deep skillet over medium-high heat, cook the sausage, breaking it into small pieces with a wodden spoon, until browned, about 10 minutes. Add the onion, celery, carrots and apples, and over high heat, stirring frequently until soft, about 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, combine the stuffing mix with the chestnuts, walnuts and sausage mixture. Add the chicken broth and combine thoroughly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Spoon the stuffing into 2 buttered 3-quart casserole dishes and bake covered for 40 minutes.

--------------------
Roxanne
Mistress of Visions

OrchidMystique
Veteran Member
Member # 2934

Member Rated:
**Lemon and Herb Chicken**

1 stick unsalted butter, softened
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
2 lemons, sliced thin
1 whole chicken, about 3 pounds
---Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a small bowl, combine butter, rosemary and sage. Place butter mixture and lemon slices under the skin of the chicken breast and in the cavity of the chicken. Roast, uncovered for about an hour, until the juices run clear.
**Bacon and Cheese Brussels Sprouts**

6 thick cut strips of bacon, stacked and quartered crosswise (24 pieces)
24 brussell sprouts, trimmed
salt and pepper
2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
1/4 pound sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 24 cubes
---In a medium skillet, cook the bacon until it's cooked thru but not crispy, about 6 minutes; drain on paper towels.
Cook the brussell sprouts in the bacon fat until golden brown and tender, about 10 minutes; discard the fat. Season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with maple syrup.
Serve each brussell sprout on a toothpick with a piece of bacon and a cheddar cube.

--------------------
Roxanne
Mistress of Visions

BABY
Healthy Member
Member # 3280

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for BABY   Author's Homepage   Email BABY   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im not sure if this is what you were looking for but here goes.
GERMAN SOUR CREAM TWIST

3 1/2 c. flour
1 tbsp. salt
1 c. shortening (part butter)
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/4 c. warm water
3/4 c. thick sour cream
1 whole egg
2 egg yolks, well beaten
1 tbsp. vanilla
1 c. sugar

Mix flour, salt and cut in shortening. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in flour mixture with sour cream, egg and vanilla. Mix well by hand. Cover with damp cloth and refrigerate for 2 hours. Roll the dough 8 x 16 inches. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon on bottom and top. Fold ends toward center like envelope. Repeat 3 times. Cut into 1 inch line strips. Twist and make horse shoe, press ends. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Watch closely, will burn.
[Razz]

--------------------
you might as well spend it now ya cant take it with ya

BABY
Healthy Member
Member # 3280

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for BABY   Author's Homepage   Email BABY   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i found another 1
Old Fashion Sour Cream Twists
1 package yeast
1 cup lukewarm sour cream
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup shortening
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/2 cups flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Soften yeast in sour cream.
Add eggs, shortening, salt and vanilla.
Stir in flour.
Knead and chill two hours.
Mix together cinnamon and sugar.
Roll dough into a rectangle.
Sprinkle with 1/3 of sugar mixture.
and fold into thirds.
Roll dough into rectangle, spinkle with remaining sugar mixture and fold again.
Cut folded dough into 1/4 inch slices.
Roll in granulated sugar, twist and press ends down on baking sheet.
Let rise 1/2 hour and bake at 375 for 12 to 15 minutes. i found this 1 here they also have more recipes for sour cream twist.
http://www.recipezaar.com/51016

--------------------
you might as well spend it now ya cant take it with ya

Phoenix55
Verbose Member
Member # 6035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoenix55   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya...I'm only gunna trust rox on the twists so tell me if they are legit rox [Razz]

--------------------
~SS~
The Army of Many

Posts: 1015 | From: Jupiter | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
OrchidMystique
Veteran Member
Member # 2934

Member Rated:
I checked and was able to find the German recipe, so that was is legit. The other one sounds just as good so I would try them both.
Thanks Baby. Any help is welcome

--------------------
Roxanne
Mistress of Visions

OrchidMystique
Veteran Member
Member # 2934

Member Rated:
The recipes being posted tonight are from an old cookbook called "Ma's Cookin'", published in 1966. The recipes are basic and simple but sound really good. Italic writing you may see, will be narrations from the book by the author himself regarding the recipe.
So on we go.........................

**Ozark Hoecake**

"I reckon this recipe was thought up by bachelors an' married men who was on thar own fer a while. It's simple, quick an' mighty tasty."

2 cups corn meal, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon melted fat.
---Combine 2 cups corn meal and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and baking powder. Add 1 tablespoon melted fat and stir in water to make a soft dough. Make into small cakes about half an inch thick, and bake on a hot greased griddle until brown, then turn to brown on the other side.
**Meatloaf**

"Mmmm! Talk 'bout sum fine vittles."

1 pound ground beef, 1/4 onion-finely chopped, 1 cup cracker crumbs, 1 cup milk, 1 tablespoon melted butter, 1 egg-slightly beaten, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/3 teaspoon pepper.
---mis all ingredients together with clean washed hands. Then form it into a loaf, place in loaf pan, add any extra seasonings desired and bake at 350 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours til done.
=============================================
There will be more of these later, try them out.

--------------------
Roxanne
Mistress of Visions

Sir Mj
Obsessive Member
Member # 4642

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Mj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, where the F'Nok did all my recipes go? [Frown]
I might re-add them today before the Liverpool game, or sometime else when I have a minute or 10 to kill.

--------------------
Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.

OrchidMystique
Veteran Member
Member # 2934

Member Rated:
Sorry MJ, if you had recaipes posted, by all means please repost them. I have not removed anything but the moderator did clean up the thread a bit. Can't wait to see what you came up with.

--------------------
Roxanne
Mistress of Visions

OrchidMystique
Veteran Member
Member # 2934

Member Rated:
If all goes well, within the next couple of months, this forum idea will expand to it's own website called "Cooking for College Students"
So not only will you be able to get recipes and ideas from here, you will also be able to pick up good cooking from all over the states by accessing the website. (The link will be posted)
There are many people contributing to the creation and contents of the website.
And for those of you who have posted your recipes in this thread, they will be included in the website, so if possible, I need you to e-mail me at Roxanne_wos@yahoo.com with a copy of the recipe you posted along with your real name and state or country you live in so I can get the information correct. If you would rather I use your WoS char name, that's fine too. Just let me know.

[ 12-01-2006, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: OrchidMystique ]

--------------------
Roxanne
Mistress of Visions

Sir Mj
Obsessive Member
Member # 4642

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Mj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roxy I think they might have been lost along with the Original recipe box, nobodies fault really.

Mj's 3 golden rules to good cooking:
1. Taste taste taste - Following a recipe verbatim is all well and good, but everyone has a unique palatte so taste your food as you go.
2. Less is best - If you're trying a recipe for the first time, use a fraction less of the "flavour" ingredients and taste-test as you go. You can always add in more of an ingredient, but seldom can you take it out.
3. Your kitchen is like the ocean, never turn your back on it - With the exception of slow-cooked oven dishes, a culinary delight can quickly turn to disaster if left unattended for even the smallest period.

I'll add some of my "Fusion" and "same ingredient, different dish" recipes later. [Smile]

--------------------

OrchidMystique
Veteran Member
Member # 2934

Member Rated:
Thanks MJ, those will go well in the "Helpful Hints" section.

--------------------
Roxanne
Mistress of Visions

Jaid
Veteran Member
Member # 6092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, I've got a good one;

Rice Crispy(sp?) Suprise!
1. Visit your local convieniant store, friggen' bums.
2. Buy a small box of Rice Crispy Treats, usually in or around a candy isle.
3. EAT THEM.
[Big Grin]

OrchidMystique
Veteran Member
Member # 2934

Member Rated:
lol Jaid, anyone ever tell you that you are a smartaleck?

--------------------
Roxanne
Mistress of Visions

Sir Mj
Obsessive Member
Member # 4642

Member Rated:
Mj's Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Chicken for 2
Difficulty - *** (of 5 possible)
Ingredients -
2 - Chicken Breasts
3/4 - Cup Pork Sausage meat
3/4 - Cup Breadcrumbs
1/4 - Cup of Red Wine (Shiraz, Lambrusco or Rose all work)
2 - Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
1 - Cup Chicken Stock (water & a stock cube will suffice)
6 - Rashers bacon (8 if you buy those thin streaky rashers)
2 - Cloves of Garlic
1 - tablespoon Cumin
1/2 - Red Bell Pepper
1 - Cup of your favourite Rice
1 - Egg
2 - 12x16 inch pieces of Kitchen Foil
1 - Tablespoon Oil (Canola, Virgin Olive or Sunflower work best)
Salt & Pepper

The Stuffing
------------
1. Crush 1 clove of Garlic
2. Finely chop the 1/2 Red Bell Pepper
3. Crack the Egg into a small mixing bowl then beat until consistently Orange in colour.
4. Add the Breadcrumbs, Pork Sausage meat, chopped Red Pepper, Cumin and crushed Garlic. Season with Salt & Pepper then mix well.

The Chicken
-----------
1. Butterfly the chicken breasts.
(Butterflying is well demonstrated here)
2. Turn the sliced breast so that you have a (rough) diamond shape in front of you then place the stuffing evenly in the middle.
3. Roll/fold the breast up tightly so that the edges only just overlap. (Tada we have a roll of stuffed chicken)

Wrapping & Foiling
------------------
For each stuffed breast..
1. Lay 3 (or 4) rashers of bacon on a clean tray, slightly overlapping.
2. Place the chicken roll about 1 inch away from the edge of the bacon rashers that is nearest to you.
3. Bring the edges of the rashers up and roll tightly.
4. Place the wrapped roll on one of the pieces of foil then wrap as tightly as possible.
5. Twist the ends of the foil to create an airtight package.

Cooking
-------
1. Place the wrapped chicken rolls into a large pot of boiling water for 20-25 minutes. (Yes, we're poaching them)
2. Remove & allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
3. Boil a second pot of water and add the cup of Rice along with a good pinch of salt.
...after chicken has cooled...
4. Put the oil into a shallow frying pan and heat.
5. Unwrap chicken rolls and place into the frying pan, turning until the bacon appears well cooked but not overly crispy or burnt.
6. Remove the chicken rolls and allow to stand for 2 minutes.
7. Slice the chicken roll then place on top of a bed of the rice you just boiled on a warm plate.

Jus
---
1. Drain excess fat then deglaze the pan you just cooked the chicken rolls in with the Red Wine.
{Deglazing is where you add a liquid to a pan to loosen up the brown, flavour rich food particles left behind after frying, thus making a great base for a sauce, or in this case Jus)
2. Add your Chicken Stock, Clove of Garlic (whole) and Balsamic Vinegar and place on medium heat, stirring constantly.
3. Allow the mixture to reduce by 1/3 to 1/2 then remove & discard the clove of garlic.
4. Drizzle over the chicken & rice and serve immediately.

Bon Appetite'

This is one recipe that, once you are confident in a kitchen, is very simple to make while producing sublime, restaurant quality cuisine. The only reason I give it a 3 star difficulty rating is that it involves a few methods that not many novice cooks would know, much yet master.

hmm, Roxy, would there be any value to you if I write up a guide to different food preparation & cooking methods?

[ 12-29-2006, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Sir Mj ]

--------------------

OrchidMystique
Veteran Member
Member # 2934

Member Rated:
well MJ I would have to see exactly what you have in mind, why don't you type up a rough draft of your idea and e-mail it to me at Roxanne_wos@yahoo.com
who knows, if it fits, we might even be able to use it on the website.

--------------------
Roxanne
Mistress of Visions

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.