Synthetic Reality Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Well of Souls » World Developers Forum » Script + Mapping FAQ (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Script + Mapping FAQ
Glacier
Compulsive Member
Member # 4881

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glacier   Email Glacier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of questions:
1. Can Spells take off mp?
2. How do you make it so after you've completed a quest, it doesn't save so you can do it again (eg. Final Boss Battle)

--------------------
Clever girl..

Posts: 2760 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
IceFox/ Silver
Member # 2200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IceFox/ Silver   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) Spells cost mp to cast, but you can also cast spells that take away mp from humans.

To do that go to your items file and make a potion with negative MP setting. (It's best to use an item ID above 1024 and to make it a quest item.)
Next go to your spells file and make a summon item spell. Make the spell summon the potion and you're done. The standard example spell is a teleportation spell called "Summon Home" (spell ID 93), just copy that spell, change the spell ID and change and change this part: -233.44
the 44 needs to be changed to for example 3000 if you used item ID 3000 for your potion. It'll look like -233.3000 then.

2) I can explain this one best with an example I think..

token 100 = you can enter the final mission

SCENE 50, background, SCENE, "Final Battle",0,0

IF T100, @startquest
N: You can not do the final battle yet!
END

@startquest
FIGHT 5
FIGHT 6
FIGHT 8,9,10
FIGHT 1000, 100,1002, 103

; etc.
N: You beat the final mission!
END

You just simply don't give a token when they beat the mission, or you could give them a token to keep track of how many times somebody beat the mission, but then you don't add new tokens where IF T100, @startquest is.

I hope this was a bit clear, I only woke up 10 minutes ago and my explaining skills usually need some more time before they're active. [Razz]

If you need more help, just post. [Smile]

Silver

--------------------
Silver
RoT's Homepage - ProxBeta

Posts: 7098 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Glacier
Compulsive Member
Member # 4881

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glacier   Email Glacier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
cool, so this will work if its the LAST quest you can do? and they can still recieve a couple more tokens after?

--------------------
Clever girl..

Posts: 2760 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mysterious One
Veteran Member
Member # 5161

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mysterious One         Edit/Delete Post 
To explain the answer to question 2 a bit simpler, just leave out any tokens saying you've done the quests, or, just don't check for them.

--------------------
Staring at a brick wall is like watching paint dry, only even more boring.

Posts: 549 | From: the depths of time | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
IceFox/ Silver
Member # 2200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IceFox/ Silver   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try experimenting with a test simple test quest, you'll learn a lot from that as well and probably grasp the idea behind it easier. [Smile]

Making and carrying out tests take time, but the learning curve from them is a lot better. [Wink]

Silver

--------------------
Silver

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hesacon   Author's Homepage   Email Hesacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the option to set chaos elements equal to normal elements work yet? i.e. chaos element evil= element death.

--------------------
SoV: Exalted Devout Oracle | World Developer | The Black Guard
Outside is just a prank older kids tell younger kids at Internet Camp

Posts: 9479 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
mogura
Healthy Member
Member # 4696

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mogura   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately not.

--------------------
-mogura

WoD Dev
Unbound Samurai
Purveyor of Ponderings

Posts: 363 | From: orangeville | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Darken Clan
Healthy Member
Member # 5481

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darken Clan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know some people use terragen to make scenes but i know it can also be use for maps, does any one know what the camera settings are for it?
camera positon x, y, z
fixed height about surface

Target positon x, y, z
fixed height about surface

Camera orientation head, pitch, bank
and zoom

--------------------
Let Them Come, Let Them Fight, Let Them Fall.
Forgotten and RoTed.

Posts: 118 | From: Darken Empire | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mysterious One
Veteran Member
Member # 5161

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mysterious One         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a question.

Can you make monsters hit themselves when not confused?

Can you script, like, in arg20, "bite #1" where the monster is number 1?

--------------------
Staring at a brick wall is like watching paint dry, only even more boring.

Posts: 549 | From: the depths of time | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
IceFox/ Silver
Member # 2200

I don't think that's possible, after all you can't attack yourself either. Unless you'd use an item that casts a spell and that spell uses a life stealing potion off course, but with normal weapons you can't damage yourself.

I'm also pretty sure that monsters won't attack their own kind when they're not confused if you set that argument. You could test it though.

Silver

[ 02-05-2005, 05:51 AM: Message edited by: IceFox/ Silver ]

--------------------
Silver

Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flamelord   Author's Homepage   Email Flamelord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! All my links end up having the same number when I move them!

This happens when you select the links by clicking on them in the map. If you select them inside the link editor by clicking on their name, it will not cause this to happen. Always selecting links in the link editor window instead of on the map itself should make this problem go away. You will still have to re-set the links that were changed, but using this method will prevent the problem from now on.

--------------------
Constantinople! We shall never forget your zany barge poles!

Posts: 4232 | From: Gresham, OR | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hesacon   Author's Homepage   Email Hesacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question,

Can elemental max levels be set with tokens/items instead of classes? So if a player has i1, i2, i3, and i7, each of those can increase the max level of say life from 3 to 7?

--------------------

Mad
Verbose Member
Member # 5460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad   Author's Homepage   Email Mad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No but you can token protect the spells, so the player could still train this element but not get the spells.

--------------------
athelias.biz - Forums - Worlds' List

Posts: 1812 | From: Moe's | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Using Arcadia to make maps

First, download arcadia here, and install, then follow the following steps:

1) Open Arcadia.exe

2) Download toy 4 if you don't have it, and open the toy empyrion in solo.

3) Click Toy specific prefereces, its the button one to the left of the "?" on the top.

4) Click map tile generator.

5) You can put your own map material in the C:\...\arcadia\toy4\textures folder

6) Choose two layers from your textures, the first will cover all of it, the second will be a little bit on the layer.

7) Select different seeds until you get a map you want.

8) Edit to the size map you want and save as what you want the map to be called.

9) Goto C:\...\Arcadia\toy4\textures and find your new map, and convert to a jpeg, and move to your worlds folder.

And poof, you have a low quality map made by arcadia(low quality compared to bryce or terragen).

--------------------

Dev-X
Member # 5991

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev-X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
can any one tell me how to make random scene or scene to start after you do a quest and leave a link to another map?
Posts: 33 | From: CAN'T | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Mj
Obsessive Member
Member # 4642

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Mj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re: Flamelords' "non-text file" post.
A.K.A And the cookie looked like 0

Perhaps I missed something during my experimentation with running non QUEST scripts within WoS, but altering a file extension seems to do nothing other than show a cosmetic affect for anyone who looks through file folders. Lucas Arts use obscure file extensions for most of their graphics, in an attempt to make it harder for rippers to get their hands on their art. That's a slightly different kettle of fish though...Anyway.

The main problem I encountered was getting the scripts to do their jobs. I first tried with vb, using a simple #include(ed) "SET cookie to be shown on screen" script but when my files were activated within WoS, as I feared, the engine read and ran only the files understandable to the QUEST language within WoS. (see below)

As part of the experiment control I always kept my scripting editor open (I use PFM) just in case I needed to cross-check anything and while the .vbe script ran and stored a variable locally on my machine, the value meant nothing to the ensuing lines of QUEST script for WoS. The cookie read as if it had never been set, rather than reading as:
"The cookie looked like a cookie."
it read,
"The cookie looked like 0."

...if you know there's a chance of failure, plan to fail funny I say...

I for one don't think this will ever change as it would be like enabling "Third Party" interference, and, even if for the greater good that's a door that needs to stay closed IMHO.

--------------------
Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.

Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flamelord   Author's Homepage   Email Flamelord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reading only the first sentence of your post, I come to this conclusion: You misunderstood my post. I was merely saying that you could use files (written in QUEST) with different extensions than .txt. It had nothing to do with other-language compatability. For instance, my world uses .qst for some files. I apologize for any misconception I have created. And, yes, the idea was that simpleton script-peekers wouldn't be able to get to them (Unless Silver thouroghly explains his encryption methods for his script files in RoT, we won't be able to truly obscure them).

[ 04-17-2005, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Flamelord ]

--------------------

Sir Mj
Obsessive Member
Member # 4642

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Mj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No apology needed amigo. I was expanding on your point, not arguing against it.

--------------------
Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.

Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Alright, just making sure you weren't trying to accuse me of lying! [Wink]

--------------------

Leon
Member # 5753

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leon   Author's Homepage   Email Leon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Q: What are the coordinates for Teragen to create maps?

[ 04-24-2005, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Leon ]

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
A: To make maps on terragen, you'll need to adjust the following:

1) On the rendering control, there is a group of lines that looks like a "W." You need to left click, then right click in the middle of where you want your map to be.

2) Under camera position on rendering control, there is an option for height above surface. Depending on how large you want it, you'll need to increase it to a few thousand. Leave target position at the surface.

You know if its right if the camera orientation has a head of 0, a pitch of -90, and a bank of 0.

Set the size map you want rendered, and click render image.

[edit]I made some desert scenes last night and included a map, all are terragen. Dowload them here

[edit2 Shameless advertisement]
http://www.worlddeveloper.com

[ 04-24-2005, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Hesacon ]

--------------------

Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Expanding on Link Creation:

This was written by Seraphino:

quote:

1. Draw your image in the objects file

2. Go into the world development and click on the objects editor

3. Scroll around the objects editor until you see your object

4. Drag a square around it

5. Type in a name

6. Click "Add Object"

7. Click "Save Work"

Now I will expand on each point Seraphino made, plus more...

1. Open "My Computer" from the icon on your desktop or in your Start Menu. Navigate to your WoS folder, then to the "worlds" folder. Find the world you're working on. Open the world's folder, then open its "maps" folder. Find objects.bmp and open it in MSPaint. If you see an image you want to use for your link, close MSPaint. If not, draw an image to use, save the file, and then close MSPaint. Open WoS.

2. If you did not draw a new image to use for your link, proceed to step 8. If you DID draw an image for the link, press the "Objects" button in the World Editor Dialog Box.

3. Click in the Minimap area to move around the Object Map. Find your object and center the screen on it. You may need to use the "+" and "-" buttons on the Object Editor box to see the entire image. When you can see the entire image in the main area of the WoS window, proceed to step 4.

4. Place your cursor so that it is in the corner of an imaginary box. This box will include the entire image for your link. When your cursor is in the correct location, click and drag it to create the box. Release when you have drawn the entire box. If you are unsatisfied with your rectangle, you can redraw it using the same method.

5. In the text box labeled "Object Name:" on the Object Editor dialog box, type a name for your new image. If it is a tree, you could type "Tree" or "MyTree" for instance. Make sure your name is descriptive.

6. Press the "Add Object" button just below the text input box. This adds your new link image to the list so you can use it later.

7. Press the "Save Work" button so that your object will stay in the list when you close the dialog box. Once you have saved it, close the Object Editor dialog box.

8. Use the pull-down menu on the World Editor dialog box to select the map you wish to add the link to.

9. Press the "Links" button on the World Editor dialog box.

10. Use the Minimap to move to the area you wish to place a link at.

11. Click the location on the map where you wish to place the link. A box will pop up prompting you to choose an image for the link. Select the image you chose or created for this link. Press "OK".

12. Your new link is now selected in the Link Editor Dialog Box. You may now designate which link or scene it goes to. You can name it, give it a camp background so that those near it will see a different background, or even give it a Theme, Weather, or FX. You could give it a monster group or make it require a token for it to function.

13. When you are done customizing your new link, press the "Save Changes" button. This will ensure that your link will remain when you exit.

Please note that if you wish to move it later, you must select it in the Link Editor dialog box before clicking and dragging it on the map. This will ensure that it doesn't get any carry-over from the previously selected link. (Carryover is when the link inherits the previously selected link's scene or link number, which most often ruins the link.)

--------------------

TED
Member # 2719

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TED     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to show a cutscene of 2 monster's fighting. But I keep getting killed by the bad monster and I'm able to attack it. Can I set it to not allow me to take damage as well as not deal any damage to the bad monster?

--------------------
"I believe it is a comedians duty to find where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately." ~George Carlin

Posts: 96 | From: Allen, Texas | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
IceFox/ Silver
Member # 2200

quote:
I'm trying to show a cutscene of 2 monster's fighting. But I keep getting killed by the bad monster and I'm able to attack it. Can I set it to not allow me to take damage as well as not deal any damage to the bad monster?

Hehe, I did the same thing in RoT and ran into the same prob. Easiest way to fix it is by 'killing' yourself.

Before the fight starts:
TAKE H100000
TAKE M100000
(Or:
TAKE H#<num.hostMaxHP>
TAKE M#<num.hostMaxMP>
but this variation is only suggested if there is only the scene host in the scene and you know how to handle cookies)

then the fight script between the 2 monsters.

and finally:

GIVE L1
GIVE H100000
GIVE M100000
END

You could check RoT's tournament script to see how I handled things there. (You might have to search for sometime though, forgot in which text file I added it.)

Silver

--------------------
Silver

TED
Member # 2719

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TED     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah killing and rez'ing is how I ended up doing it. I just thought there might have been a better way. [Frown]

Thanks. [Smile]

--------------------
"I believe it is a comedians duty to find where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately." ~George Carlin

Posts: 96 | From: Allen, Texas | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
nightrider
Healthy Member
Member # 4380

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nightrider   Author's Homepage   Email nightrider   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love it

posted: 10-11-2003 02:28 AM
[ If you just clicked on this and you're completely clueless about how to make a world then go to Idiot's Guide To WoS. ]

Todays date: 02/18/2006

http://www.geocities.com/ogotutruman/
ogotutruman's Home Page

I haven't started building my site yet. Please check back soon!

Sorry Silver, I don't think that person/site will help. lol [Razz]

And for skinning if you are serious about making your world but haven't got a clue how to skin my site can help you alot, I might over spam it in places and people say it was looks like it was made for a 5 year old but, It was made for a NON skinner to understand evey step of the skinning process with a few tips and ideas. And it was made back before this string was first made and its still being used!

http://www.freewebs.com/nightrider1962
My Skinning Site

--------------------
http://www.freeweb.com/nightrider1962

Life isn't measured by how many cups of sugar it takes to sweeten up your friends but by how many friends are still alive after they eat your cooking!

Posts: 114 | From: Northern California | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
NemesisOfChaotix
Member # 7028

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NemesisOfChaotix   Author's Homepage   Email NemesisOfChaotix   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Silver,

With the flashbacks you have in RoT is there a way you can do certain things to trigger them like if you walk into a scene with a big fight it could trigger the flashback then so it's like a cutscene?

And how do you make your main maps so damn good I can't figure it out :\

Thx

--------------------
There is but a thin line between Life and Death. I am that line, do not cross me.

Posts: 33 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Just thought this was amusing, when testing the limits of GP names and clipping:

-

--------------------

Injury
Healthy Member
Member # 8063

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Injury   Author's Homepage   Email Injury   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this also really helped me! I realize the forum community are all cool people, whereas in game you see a lot of noobs. Thanks!

--------------------
Visit http://fuller-dev.com/wos/ for guides, skins and worlds. Enjoy!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.