Synthetic Reality Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Other Games » MIX it up! » I "SEEM TO HAVE LOST MY NETWORK CONNECTION" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I "SEEM TO HAVE LOST MY NETWORK CONNECTION"
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Various people have reported that shortly after they connect to any MIX server, they get the message that they have lost their network connection.

Generally this means exactly that: you have lost your connection to that server.

But why?

Well, could be just about anything, but here are some common reports:

* I use a modem to connect to the network, and it is a combination modem and sound card. Once sounds start to play, I lose my connection.

* I just changed my WoS network settings from COM2 to COM1 and it fixed it.

* I got banned by the admin of that particular server.

* The server I was trying to go to wasn't really there, or went down just after I got there, or otherwise is having problems of its own.

* My ISP sucks.

* My computer sucks.

-------

Feel free to add your own discoveries here. I mean discoveries which led to the problem going away, not general introspection [Smile]

--------------------
He knows when you are sleeping.

Posts: 10562 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
mikenowo
Member # 4105

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikenowo   Email mikenowo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read your FAQ and your post here, but am still baffled. In your FAQ you have the following:

"You are behind a firewall which is blocking UDP traffic. As of version A52 you can specify a specific range of port numbers to be used in UDP transfers. Your firewall administrator may be able to work with you on this"

I have a firewall on my router and want to open up a 'hole' (as you put it) for the port. What do you mean above by "As of version A52 you can specify a specific range of port numbers to be used in UDP transfers"? Where is this 'range' specified? In the WoS mix server? If so, where?

NOW, I ran the mix server PUBLIC with port 5555 and then created an opening on my router for port 5555 going in and out for both UDP and TCP. BUT whenever I try to join the server (which DOES appear in the public list) I can never access the server (i.e. don't see myself appear in the MIX server window) and if I go into a game, it tells me the connection was lost.

Based on what I did I should now be able to get through since I give access to my IP at port 5555.

If I'm wrong about the above, which I don't believe I am:
What IS the port type (TCP? or UDP?) and is there a specific number (or range?) I have to give access to, if not the one I specifically set?

Also, you mention that to get skins the UDP port has to be open. Which one? What's the number of the port? Are we talking about the one specified in the "Configure Network Options" window inside of "Where would you like to play today" window? Does it depend on the server I join? If so, how do I get the number?

Seems like this should be straightforward but so far no luck. I even tried changing the DMZ (demilitarized zone) on my router to allow complete access to the PC (its IP addy) but even that doesn't work, which makes no sense since at this point the firewall is no longer active.
Doesn't sound like a firewall problem anymore. <sigh>

I realize you aren't supporting firewalls etc, but if you can clarify some of these points and tell me if I'm right or wrong on any of them it would allow me to whittle down the list of possibilities.

Thx!

--------------------
l8r,
m.

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, now... there are several dimensions to this:

(and please see the network trouble shooter for help diagnosing a particular problem http://www.synthetic-reality.com/troubleShooter.htm )

HOSTING YOUR OWN MIX SERVER IN A WAY THAT OTHER PEOPLE CAN REACH IT

1.) Your MIX server will need to know its real Internet IP address. If it publishes a local IP address (because it is downstream of some router and has no idea what the real address is), then it will be unable to report to the master server how it can be reached. When your copy of MIX is waiting for incoming calls, it tells you the IP address it is listening at. (On it's dialog window, I mean). This needs to be a 'real' Internet IP address.

2.) Your MIX server will send UDP packets to the master server, to announce its presence. If it is showing up on the list of piblic MIX servers, this must be working. (Outgoing UDP is not usually blocked, so this is generally not a problem).

3.) Your MIX server will receive incoming UDP packets as other player 'ping' it to see if they want to play. If no response is received to that ping, they will be unable to try to connect to your MIX server. This requires that you not block incoming UDP packets. Your MIX server is expecting these to come in on the same port number that it is listening for incoming connections on. (A bit weird, but the pings come in UDP and player connections come in TCP, so it's OK for them to share this port number.) This is the port number you enter into the MIX dialog. You would tell your firewall to allow incoming UDP targeted for that port number. Your best way to know if this is working is to ask a friend if your server appears in the list AND has an actual ping value (not 'waiting for ping')

4.) If they can ping you, they are allowed to try to connect to you. This will appear as an incoming tcp/ip connection to the port that MIX is listening on (same port # as in step 3 above). To help track this, you can look at your MIX 'log' (Select 'About MIX' from the MIX system menu). Also, if someone connects successfully, the MIX dialog will show them connected. You can further test this connection by using the MIX 'admin' window to send chat back and forth. (they use /admin to open this window and send to you, you right-click on their name in MIX and select 'send message' (or something like that) to send something to them.) If you can't share messages in this way, then the tcp connection is not yet happy. You will need to allow incoming tcp/ip conntections to the MIX 'listen' port (same one as mentioned before. We have only discussed a single port number so far)

5.) if they can connect to you, then all else should be cool.

REACHING SOMEONE ELSE'S MIX SERVER

1.) Same rules... you will need to be able to send them a UDP packet to ping them. They will need to be able to reply with a UDP packet back. Most firewalls will not block your outgoing ping... and a nice firewall will accept your outgoing ping as permission to receiving an incoming one from the port you just pinged. At least for awhile. You might have some configuration control over this, but what it is I do not know :-)

2.) Assuming those UDP pings work, you should see their server appear in your MIX server list. After that you make an outbound tcp connection to them, and no one ever blocks those.. You didn't complain about that in particular, so it probably is a non-issue.

REACHING YOUR OWN MIX SERVER

1.) You mentioned that you see your own server in the list (good), but does it show a ping value or "waiting for ping" If it shows a ping value, then you can stop worrying about UDP inand out (at least for your own connection). If it says "waiting for ping" then you are still losing the incoming UDP pings. This could be because the firewall is blocking the port, not using your outgoing ping to permit an incoming ping between the same port pairs, or your IP address is not a real one, so your ping cannot be routed across the Internet (back to yourself).

2.) When you get your MIX server to appear on the list with a ping value, the next thing to get working is your ability to form a tcp/ip connection from your copy of WoS to your Copy of MIX. Your firewall will probably allow WoS to make the outbound TCP request.

If the IP address is 'real' then your TCP requests should get turned around and come back in towards your copy of MIX.

If your copy of MIX is accepting calls from strangers, it will probably accept calls from you, as well.

SHARING SKINS

Once you and the other players have their TCP connections up with your copy of MIX, then that's all you need to play the game.

To share skins requires unblocked UDP traffic between the players (skin data does NOT go through MIX) You get to specify which port is used for skin transfers by using the NetworkSettings button on the "Where do you want to play today" dialog. (in WoS, not MIX). This specifies the first Port that WoS will use for udp stuff. Since you can have multiple UDP things going on, it will start with this value, and then use ports of increasing values later on. So if you start with 8000... that should be used for the first skin xfer, but 8001 for the second, etc. Hence if you opened the UDP port range 8000-8100, you might share up to 100 skins before you fell out of range (it's not really as straightforward as that, but you get the idea).

----

So, things to check:

* what IP address does MIX say it is listening at?
* Is that a 'real' IP address, or just the local IP of your PC on your home network.
* Do other people see your MIX server on the list?
* Can they ping it, or do they see 'waiting for ping'
* Can you ping your own MIX, or do you see waiting for ping?
* Can they connect to your MIX, appear on it's list, and stay connected for any length of time?
* Can you connect to your MIX, appear on its list, and stay connected for any length of time.

Good Luck!

[ 07-16-2004, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

mikenowo
Member # 4105

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikenowo   Email mikenowo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, things to check:
(1)
* what IP address does MIX say it is listening at?
* Is that a 'real' IP address, or just the local IP of your PC on your home network.
(2)
* Do other people see your MIX server on the list?
* Can they ping it, or do they see 'waiting for ping'
(3)
* Can you ping your own MIX, or do you see waiting for ping?
(4)
* Can you connect to your MIX, appear on its list, and stay connected for any length of time.
(5)
* Can they connect to your MIX, appear on it's list, and stay connected for any length of time?

1-Mix is listening at a local IP address that the router assigns with th port I assigned it: 9876(192.168.0.100:9876). This is as I surmised and most likely the problem why I can't connect to my MIX server from my own machine and why other's can't either. The question is: HOW do I get the number of the REAL IP address? Is there a way? I know I can see it if I connect to the internet without using the router (i.e. just straight from my PC), but I use the router for the obvious reasons of security, and multiple internet access from PCs on my LAN. So again, CAN I find the true IP address? If so, do I open a hole for UDP for that address in my router utility (i.e. create a virtual server)? or am I dead in the water...

(2)
Not sure. Still need to get them to test it (unavailable at the moment).

(3)
Yes, in the list of servers I see my server WITH a ping value (15ms)

(4)
No, I cannot connect to my MIX server. Nothing ever appears in the MIX server window or log.

(5)
Not sure. Still need to get them to test it (unavailable at the moment).

--

quote:
So if you start with 8000... that should be used for the first skin xfer, but 8001 for the second, etc. Hence if you opened the UDP port range 8000-8100, you might share up to 100 skins before you fell out of range (it's not really as straightforward as that, but you get the idea).
Ok this is straightforward enough. I put '8000' as the starting point in 'UDP socket' in the 'Network Options' window, then I open UDP on my router for '8000-8100'. 'nuf said.

NOW, what are the other two options for (we'll disregard IPX since I'm not using it).
-'MIX Master Server address:port'
Why is this box here? Since a list of servers comes up right after clicking "Play Game", what is the purpose of this input box?
-'Telnet (TCP/IP) Options Listen Port'
The default is '8888'. I know that if I try to use 8888 as the MIX port it is in conflict with this option. Do I need to open up this port on my router as well? What is this port for (i.e. what does this option do)?

---
---

Well, I guess that's it. Depending on your response, sounds like I can't run the Mix server from within my firewall (at least not without finding out the true IP addy). If that is the case, then I guess I won't be serving up a dish of WoS anytime soon (not about to open my PC up to every TDH).

Thx!

--------------------
l8r,
m.

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
quote:

-'MIX Master Server address:port'
Why is this box here? Since a list of servers comes up right after clicking "Play Game", what is the purpose of this input box?
-'Telnet (TCP/IP) Options Listen Port'
The default is '8888'. I know that if I try to use 8888 as the MIX port it is in conflict with this option. Do I need to open up this port on my router as well? What is this port for (i.e. what does this option do)?

the master server address is currently not used. You should leave it blank (I am preeeeeetty sure I completely ignore anything you put there, but the safe bet is to leave it blank.)

Someday, if I ever support multiple masters, it will be a way to force the use of one of them.

the tcp listen port on the WOS dialog is the port number setting for those skin xfers (starting at 8000, for example). It says TCP on the dialog, but the same port is used for TCP and UDP. In the case of TCP it is only used in TELNET mode as the port your friend would use to connect their copy of WoS directly to yours. Otherwise, there are never any incoming TCP connections for a copy of WoS (only for MIX).

--------------------

mikenowo
Member # 4105

Rate Member
quote:
the tcp listen port on the WOS dialog is the port number setting for those skin xfers (starting at 8000, for example). It says TCP on the dialog, but the same port is used for TCP and UDP.
So then what is that other port above it that says 'UDP socket' (the one defaulted to '0', i.e. zero)?
---

BTW, I tried disconnecting from my router altogether and connecting to the internet straight from the PC. As such I get an internal IP that DHCP of WinXP provides AND the external IP that is the TRUE IP that connects to the net. BUT when I run MIX it uses the internal IP *not* the external one?? As a result my server now doesn't even appear on the list when I run WoS and check for running servers. Is there any way to force MIX to us the correct IP (the external NOT the internal)? I don't see anywhere to specify this?

--
Also, do you know of a way to check what the true external IP address is when connected thru a router (I asked before but you never replied to that question, so not sure if you don't know or just missed the Q)?

Thx,

--------------------
l8r,
m.

Claidan
Healthy Member
Member # 3340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claidan   Email Claidan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dan, it seems whenever you first d/l WoS you have problems connecting to servers. I remember after I first reformatted and then got a new comp, I had trouble connecting to servers. I would always seem to get disconnected. After a while, I could get into the servers. I don't know why it happens, though.

--------------------
If people were able to take my brain, make copies, and to put them into any human, we'd be perfect!

Shad the reason for that is because when you FIRST begin the game, you DO NOT have a 'sernum' so you must wait 5 to 10 minutes. I have found that when the bitten server is up, anyone can connect due to it having the option to "disconnect" those without a sernum.

So all you have to do is go offline, into solo for 5 or 10 minutes, and then log back onto a server. Very easy to fix. [Wink]

--------------------
Boo. Did I scare ya?

Posts: 375 | From: Some where in the US! | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gerchy
Healthy Member
Member # 4469

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerchy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i found that:

Q:when i first d/l wos and run it i get d/ced alot. whats wrong?

A:make your first char offline, and it will work!

now i decided id try and see what the problem is, and by george i believe ive found it! i believe wos dislikes 0 hours.

how did i come to this conclusion? if u make the char offline then incarnate online u have 1 minute, and when ur trying to go online without making a char u have 0 minutes.

i thought at first it could be something to do with wos' reaction to no chars, but as some people stated if they keep trying eventually it works. i believe the keep reentering of servers wud eventually put ur hours up to 1 minute.

anyway, maybe this could be investigated dan?

[this might be true... in which case I declare it a feature as it keeps the newbie riff-raff off the servers! Dang less than a minute newbies! [Smile] -s]

[ 01-21-2004, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
Everything is vague to a degree you do not realize till you have tried to make it precise.

Hellscream
Verbose Member
Member # 4193

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hellscream   Author's Homepage   Email Hellscream   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
maby try changing to COM1.....or if you are allready there, COM2

--------------------
Support our troops, US ARMY
--Fighting for the best country, and fighting the best in WoS.

Posts: 1608 | From: Fort hood, texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
One way of seeing "you have lost your network connection" is if you are using the Windows XP Firewall.

Here are explicit instructions for making that work (other than turning the firewall off!) It consists of two parts:

* tell WoS what ports it should use
* tell the XP firewall, which ports it shuld pass through

Note: the following is for a single computer with its own copy of the XP firewall and a direct connection to the internet. If you are using a Router, you need to set up port forwarding in the router.

=======

CONFIGURING WOS TO USE A PARTICULAR PORT

You can pick whatever you like, within reason, but let's use port 8000 and 8001.

1.) Run WoS
2.) On the "where do you want to play today" screen, click on CONFIGURE NETWORK OPTIONS
3.) Set the "UDP SOCKET" to 8000
4.) Set the "LISTEN PORT" to 8000
5.) Press OK

You're done. Now WoS will try to use port 8000 if it is available (if not, it will try progressively higher numbers like 8001, 8002, etc.)

========

CONFIGURING XP FIREWALL

This assumes you have XP, and permission to muck with the firewall.

1.) RIGHT-clik on "My Network Places" and select PROPERTIES. This should show a window with an icon named something like "Local Area Connection" and it will have a little lock icon on it if you have the firewall on.

2.) RIGHT-click on "local area connection" and select PROPERTIES again. That should open a window with three tabs on it: General, Authentication, and Advanced.

3.) Click on ADVANCED. That should open a window which has a section called INTERNET CONNECTION FIREWALL. If that is NOT checked, then you are NOT running a firewall (woe is you) and you're done. Assuming it IS checked, continue on.

4.) Click on SETTINGS near the bottom of the window. This opens yet another window with some number of 'special exceptions' for the firewall.

Our goal is to add exceptions for ports 8000 and 8001 (and more, if you have the desire to do so, but this should be enough to simply play WoS)

There is an ADD button which you click on to add an exception. It opens a window where you describe the 'service' You MUST provide:

Description: something like "8000 tcp" to remind you what it is.

IP Address of host: 127.0.0.1

External Port Number: 8000

TCP/UDP Radio box: TCP or UDP

You can leave the internal port blank and it will handle it for you (though you may need to do some port forwarding here in an Internet Connectin Sharing environment)

So, in shorthand, here are four services you should add:

8000 tcp
TCP
---
8000 udp
UDP
---
8001 tcp
TCP
---
8001 udp
UDP

That should be enough to let you play WoS. But probably not enough to let you host a MIX server behind the firewall.

To do that you need to pick another port number (maybe start at 9000 for MIX) and do pretty much the same as above. When you start up your copy of MIX be sure to tell it to use port 9000 (or whatever you pick), and be sure to open both UDP and TCP 'services' at 9000 and 9001

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Yes, to run a MIX server behind a Windows XP firewall, do what I said above.

* Pick a port for MIX (9000)
* Tell MIX to use that port (when you create a new server from inside WoS, it asks you for a port number, just type in 9000)
* Following instructions above, add 4 more 'services' to your XP firewall. 9000 udp, 9000 tcp, 9001 udp, and 9001 tcp

You must OK the dialog where you added the services before they will take effect. And you must restart WoS/MIX after doing that.

Note: The symptom you get when you have NOT opened the firewall for MIX is that people see your server in the list, but get the 'you seem to have lost your connection' message shortly after connecting to it.

I find this hard to understand, as I would have expected the ping to fail.

Anyway, If you have a single PC, with XP and its firewall, connected directly to your DSL or cable modem, the above should work for you.

--------------------

saxamophone0
Obsessive Member
Member # 2917

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for saxamophone0   Author's Homepage   Email saxamophone0   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But, the above won't work with a firewall and a wireless card. Trust me.
Posts: 8526 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cheese Wiz
Compulsive Member
Member # 3577

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheese Wiz   Email Cheese Wiz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then take off the firewall Sax. I'm learning wireless networking at the moment, it's like regualr networks, without wires, only difference is that the settings are a pain. It's easy to setup, but hard to fix if there's issues after it's setup.

So if you need some wireless help you can ask me in about 1 month or so.

--------------------
Hobbes owns you.

Hack your phone book!

Posts: 2896 | From: Idaho | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
angelamh
Healthy Member
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angelamh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um, i'm sure that we've covered how to force MIX to use the -real- ip over the cute little ip puppy this here wireless router always wants me play with, but i can't seem to find that post, help me? Pretty please? With sugar on top? I've tried the network options, but it doesnt want me to override what it's decided is ~The One True IP~.

Oh... and am i missing something in configuring the network options? It seems as though whatever I change in those boxes, it still wants to decide what it wants to use, it only lets me help out with the port assignment if i add it in the nice little 'which port' box just before the MIX server goes up...

I'd love to get my server running again [Frown] .

Posts: 124 | From: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Blind Sage
Verbose Member
Member # 4821

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Blind Sage   Email The Blind Sage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Part of the reasen you could lose your internet connection is if you don't have an internet connection. But, if you didn't have one, then you wouldn't be reading this. [Eek!]
Posts: 1094 | From: United States | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
angelamh
Healthy Member
Member # 5329

Icon 11 posted      Profile for angelamh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
uh... hello? even a simple 'I don't know' is better than checking back every day having been ignored. Someone? Anyone? Please?
[Frown]
quote:
Um, i'm sure that we've covered how to force MIX to use the -real- ip over the cute little ip puppy this here wireless router always wants me play with, but i can't seem to find that post, help me? Pretty please? With sugar on top? I've tried the network options, but it doesnt want me to override what it's decided is ~The One True IP~.

Oh... and am i missing something in configuring the network options? It seems as though whatever I change in those boxes, it still wants to decide what it wants to use, it only lets me help out with the port assignment if i add it in the nice little 'which port' box just before the MIX server goes up...

I'd love to get my server running again .

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Well, when you're feeling impatient for a response, be sure to read through the FAQs and such...

In this case, you should read through the web page describing MIX itself. The trick you seek is near the bottom of the mixRules page.

Which I think is:

http://www.synthetic-reality.com/mixRules.htm

--------------------

angelamh
Healthy Member
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angelamh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well thank you so very much for that bit of direction. I will hasten to study up on the wonder that is MIX. I'll try to be more patient in the future, apparently it's not my strongest suit. Perhaps I should really consider procrastination, it could be much easier on both waistline and blood pressure... or... wait... nvm... thanks again [Smile]
dci
Member # 5851

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dci   Author's Homepage   Email dci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i used to have a server, kinda banns me auto now so i cant stay on lol

--------------------
is there such a thing as temporary perfection?
~Memnarch

jessie~

Posts: 33 | From: Mirrodin | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
ZenHeart
Member # 141

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZenHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dan long time no see this is ZenHeart i still come by and check on your game from time to time just to see how its comeing along im on DSL now but im getting the disconnecting to the server like those reported useing a modem I just downloaded the latest file whitch is 80 i believe and am on this sight thropugh the game so as you can see im connected to the net i smell a patch comeing up hehe
Posts: 6 | From: Atlanta,Tx, USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged
Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flamelord   Author's Homepage   Email Flamelord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The current WoS version is A82.

--------------------
Constantinople! We shall never forget your zany barge poles!

Posts: 4232 | From: Gresham, OR | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
ZenHeart,

PLease check out the http://www.synthetic-reality.com/troubleShooter.htm

It's good that you can access the forum, as that indicates you can make out-bound TCP connections to port 80.

BUt you might well have a firewall/gateway which blocks other forms of connection.

Assuming you are using the "public mix server" choice (and not telnet), the implication is that you must have seen a list of servers, hence your UDP traffic is working.

Which would leave you with 'outbound TCP connection to a port other than 80' as being the source of trouble.

Good luck!

(of course, there is the whole MIX-itself can reject you for its own reasons, deal, including the network connectino of the person hosting the server.)

If you, instead, using TelNet, then there could be a host of other explanations.

--------------------

-Jake-
Member # 6160

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jake-   Email -Jake-   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well i havenm't been d/c from a world straight away for like 2 yrs Im so proud [Big Grin] You should be pround of me [Razz]

--------------------
-Jake-

Phantom Assassins

Posts: 57 | From: Qld, Austraila | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gohanmon
Member # 6230

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Gohanmon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did all that stuff that you people posted and I still can't get into my own server!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I NEED HELP!

[ 06-01-2005, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Gohanmon ]

Mark
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I can see the server list, use the bbs from the souls.exe program, and all that but I still can't get into an online server. When I connect, I end up in an empty server and several moments later get the lost connection message. I also can't connect thru telnet either. I'm not behind a firewall and all my other internet programs work such as aim and msn. I tried changing the com1 com2 thing around several times and listed different ports as well. Any ideas on what else to do?
IP: Logged
fear me
unregistered

ok look *prepares to feel like an idiot*. i tried putting in different prot numbers, tried experimenting in the configure options menu (and yes i put them back to normal afterwards) and i even tried putting the port number to 8000 and NOTHING works. whenever i enter into one of my own servers it says "It seems you have lost your internet connection." But why?!? plz help it's probably a dumb retarted question but nothing really works.
Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hesacon   Author's Homepage   Email Hesacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.synthetic-reality.com/troubleShooter.htm

--------------------
SoV: Exalted Devout Oracle | World Developer | The Black Guard
Outside is just a prank older kids tell younger kids at Internet Camp

Posts: 9479 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
SquishytheNightmare
Member # 6814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SquishytheNightmare   Email SquishytheNightmare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...euh *gulps* I tried these things, but apparently my Win ME won't comply. [Frown] A friend told me, it's some type of NAT (Network Adress Translator) and the deal, which I'm not a big expert at, so try not to laugh at this. I'm behing a router, which I can't change or anything since then I won't have access to the internet. I just want to be able to set up my own server, and I lose my connection whenever I enter it. I've tried different ports, and I repeat, I'm not a big expert at this so if I missed something above, please point it out. I'd appreciate it, thanks.
Posts: 13 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Deadly Headshot
Compulsive Member
Member # 6098

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deadly Headshot   Author's Homepage   Email Deadly Headshot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
my Win ME won't comply
There's your answer!!! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Carpé Agnus"
{GS} Pwnz
I like reviving old topics, it makes me feel needed...

{GS} is dead, sorry.

I've finally changed my av!

Posts: 2885 | From: Great Britain | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
SquishytheNightmare
Member # 6814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SquishytheNightmare   Email SquishytheNightmare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...o_O So I missed something, ehh? See? Was that so hard? [Embarrassed]
Posts: 13 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mad
Verbose Member
Member # 5460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad   Author's Homepage   Email Mad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm behing a router, which I can't change or anything since then I won't have access to the internet.
Err.. to configurate your router, you just have to type the IP in the adress bar of a browser: you don't loose your connection [Smile]

Now indeed, Windows ME may be a problem as well. I know a few people under ME who haven't been able to fix their problems, even after having followed very detailed instructions to configurate their router and/or firewall(s). I've never been able to figure out what's wrong with ME (actually I've never used ME so I guess I'll never figure that out).

But you should really try to focus on your router and firewall first before concluding the problem comes from ME.

PS: have you tried to do that (my last post)?

PPS: weird idea, I know, and I'm robably completly worng but it worths a try as well: if others can use your server and if you're dced whenever you enter, try to uncheck the require sernum option, and to check the "allow duplicate IP adress" in the "ban IP" box of the server window. That probably won't work, but again, it worths a try. Most likely: you haven't specified the ports for both TCP and UDP traffic for your firewall and/or router.

[ 02-10-2006, 04:39 AM: Message edited by: Mad ]

--------------------
athelias.biz - Forums - Worlds' List

Posts: 1812 | From: Moe's | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lans
unregistered

I have tried lots of different options, i have configured the ports and all that, have shuted down the firewall, i dont have a router, i can see the server well in the list(no 'waiting for ping'), but i still cant connect to my own server, it just say that message that i seem to have lost my network connection, and i dont know if other players can log into my server.

Anyone can help me?

Bill Yen
Verbose Member
Member # 6764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Yen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Various people have reported that shortly after they connect to any MIX server, they get the message that they have lost their network connection.

Generally this means exactly that: you have lost your connection to that server.

But why?

Because they are playing on Princess's server.

--------------------
The Mud, Water, Air, & Blood...
Petal Of Karma
Dark Lotus

Posts: 1266 | From: The Garden Of Evil | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonflame327
Member # 7177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dragonflame327   Email dragonflame327   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question:

I get the "Waiting for Server Ping" message, so my server doesn't show up on the list. I've gone into my firewall advanced settings, the windows firewall is turned off - it doesn't let me do enough. So, just in case, I went into the advanced settings ANYWAY and allowed tcp and udp ports 8000, 8001, 9000 and 9001. Still doesn't work. I've a router for a second computer in my house, but the computer I'm on gets a line straight from the router. Do I have to still configure my router? I'm going to try it now, and if that doesn't work, well, I'll be back here. Lol. Thanks.

-DF

Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flamelord   Author's Homepage   Email Flamelord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Straight from the router" would normally indicate that you are going through the router to connect to the internet, and some (most) routers have settings in them that prevent you from connecting to yourself through the internet (or something. Can't remember exactly whether this was the issue or not).

So, yes, you need to configure the router.

--------------------

Tito Wario
Member # 6946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tito Wario   Author's Homepage   Email Tito Wario   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, let's say i have an strange problem.

My server is actually running and i have proof that some people is able to join (people who dont maybe are people who don't have the world).

The point is, at this point, when i access the public server list... well... the entry correspondent to my server says "Waiting to ping", and i cant access.

I've tried to play with TELNET option, but it only recognizes my connection when says "negotiatin with the host". Btw, when i click "Play Game", the connections is lost.

Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Your router doesn't allow connections to go out of it, through the internet, and back in, which is what you're trying to do. Try telnetting to 127.0.0.1 and whatever port if the server is running on the machine you want to play with.

--------------------

Tito Wario
Member # 6946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tito Wario   Author's Homepage   Email Tito Wario   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attemp with 127.0.0.1:4000 without the local echo enabled...

Disconnected.

Attemp with 127.0.0.1:4000 with the local echo enabled...

Disconnected.

Attemp with 192.168.1.33:4000 without the local echo enabled...

Disconnected.

Attemp 192 168 1 33 with local echo...

Disconnnected.

Attemp with 5 53 61 151 (Hamachi) without local echo...

Disconected.

Attemp 5 53 61 151 (Hamachi) with local echo...

Disconnected.

Also tried without hamachi powered on.

GuppyMan
Compulsive Member
Member # 44

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GuppyMan   Email GuppyMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try turning off the require serial number option on your server.
Posts: 2675 | From: Washington | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Darnit Gup, who said you could be right?!

Thanks, I had totally forgotten about that. I bet it works now.

As far as I can tell, Hamachi doesn't actually interfere with WoS- or MIX-related things. Not much, anyway.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.