Synthetic Reality Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Other Games » Arcadia » Arcadia Development Notes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Arcadia Development Notes
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are the official development notes for Arcadia Version A33. Please place specific suggestions in this topic

ESTIMATED RELEASE: Eventually
MOTTO: "You get what you pay for"

========
CHANGES:

* COMPATIBILITY: Excellent!

---------
Note: This is a ruthlessly moderated topic and all replies will be deleted once digested...

[This message has been edited by samsyn (edited 01-06-2002).]

Posts: 10561 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please see change list, and admire:
http://www.synthetic-reality.com/arcadiaParks.htm

Camanator
Healthy Member
Member # 714

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Camanator   Author's Homepage   Email Camanator   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that only two sprites per layer is allowed. Is this intentional? I hope not because it makes park designing a haus. Please make it so that more sprites can be added to each layer. Also, apperently the sprite #0 is put on the ground cover texture even if you don't want it there.

Now this is something I've been meaning to say for a while, but have been to lazy to say. It's probably allready to far into the ball game to change, but here goes:

I think it would be cool if instead of each server playing one toy with parkland running in the background, each one should be just running park land, with a "toy" bulding on the map. In this toy building you could choose to start or join games. (The games would be running on temprary servers hosted by the moderator of the toy.)

[this won't happen for many reasons. But I do still like the idea (someday) of portals on the park being able to warp you to other servers.

But while connected to any server, you are ONLY aware of the existence of people attached to that server, you can ONLY connect to one server at a time, and that server ONLY has to support the bandwidth for a single toy session.

Those are the immutable rules of arcadia.

But someday I hope to be able to support "gracefully hopping between servers" without having to actually bop all the way out to the MIX Server List dialog. (That's Rocket Club Technology :-)

-s]

[This message has been edited by samsyn (edited 08-22-2001).]

Ebag333
Verbose Member
Member # 238

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Ebag333   Email Ebag333   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bug

Whenever I try and fetch a face, Arcadia locks up. After the download finishes, or times up, it resurects just fine.

[you would, with your wacky network connection, probably see this even more than most players. Basically if the face fetch was going to fail (person behind firewall, gateway, proxy or whatever), then you get locked up until winsock times out. -s]

[This message has been edited by samsyn (edited 08-22-2001).]

Posts: 1348 | From: Central Point, OR, USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of 2 sprites per layer.

I am about to look into this, but it occurs to me that the use of sprite ID 0 would probably be a mistake.

So a list which looks like this:

1=2,3,0,4,5,6

Probably would be understood as:

1=2,3

My guess about "per layer" makes no sense at all, since I am pretty sure the sprites are added to the "final map" after all the layers have been blended together, purely on the final texture "per map pixel" as it were.

More likely the problem will be (if not use of sprite 0) something in my random placement algorithm. I think the way that works is it picks a random park location first, then checks the texture of that location, then picks a random element from the list for that texture.

Hence it is quite possible that a statistically infrequent texture could get no sprites placed on it at all.

Anyway, I will be experimenting on that tonight.

Merlin
Compulsive Member
Member # 181

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Merlin   Author's Homepage   Email Merlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Computer Truil attacks himself (may be universal, just saw this one)

-Merlin

Posts: 2797 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mosquito
Verbose Member
Member # 814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosquito   Author's Homepage   Email Mosquito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, thats why my Arcadia locks up everytime I log onto a server ot someone new logs on. Its waiting for the winsock timeout.
Posts: 1443 | From: Penn State | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laoch Paladin
Obsessive Member
Member # 232

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Laoch Paladin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, something productive I have done!

When playing tag, if you tag someone JUST as they quit playing... the IT is lost. No one playing is IT. No one gets the message that the IT has been passed except the person who used to be it.
I have a couple theories as to why this is... but, I'm sure you'd know better.

Posts: 6096 | From: Minnesnowta | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Leniad
Veteran Member
Member # 194

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leniad   Author's Homepage   Email Leniad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Er... Dan... a29 is out, you should be actualizing the dev. notes
Posts: 794 | From: Somewhere in Argentina | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Just moving this up, since it took forever to find it just now :-)

May I just take this opporunity to complain about GetRight? (I may have the name wrong. I mean one of those download helper programs which works by simulataneously requesting the file a zillion times, hoping to get more than its fair share of the server bandwidth)

I had to "take action" against a certain offender, in fact. Very rude.

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
If you got A30 before JUST NOW (see timestamp), then you need to get it again. (And re-enter your GS code if you have already).
Shon-dahre
Spammer
Member # 650

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shon-dahre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May I suggest that instead of having to log in again when you leave a server, there could be a separate login/logout command thing? Being the only person who uses my computer, I find it a little annoying having to log in every time I change servers.
Posts: 12690 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
hard to hit return, eh? :-)

I know it's obnoxious to make you confirm who you want to be every time, but if I didn't do that, then I would either have to:

1.) take you to a menu instead, which included an option to 'change logon' or 'proceed'

In which case you would STILL have to click your mouse to do what you want. No net gain for you.

2.) take you directly to the server, but give you some sort of pull-down menu command or something to explicitly change logon names.

So, less clicking for one case, but more mysterious clicking for other cases.

---

I remember the last name you used, and that dialog is quick to load, so I hope it's not too much of an inconvenience.

Ebag333
Verbose Member
Member # 238

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Ebag333   Email Ebag333   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That annoys me too.

What if you added the login options directly into the server list?

Or perhaps the "Where would you like to play today" list...

Maybe something like: http://www.ebag333.gametribe.net/arcadialogin.jpg

Notice the "new" menu User Account. You could use that for all those extra features such as Switch Users, Change Password, Delete User, etc.

Notice I greyed out the password box. You could do that when no password was required. You can also remember the last user to login. This way you can just type in the username, hit tab, enter password, hit tab, hit enter. Or something like that.

You don't really need to pick a name for solo mode, do ya? Who else is gonna see it?

I just noticed something, why are your Arcadia servers different versions?

[This message has been edited by Ebag333 (edited 10-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by samsyn (edited 11-10-2001).]

Posts: 1348 | From: Central Point, OR, USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
but what about solo players, and IPX players, and TELNET players, and MODEM players? Do they all get ID/PW fields added to their network selectors as well?

In any case, the 'account' stuff is handled by the application layer (Arcadian account needs are radically different from WoS or Warpath account needs) and the dialog in question is handled by a common library which doesn't know about the application itself.

But I won't argue the point. It is as it is.

Ebag333
Verbose Member
Member # 238

Member Rated:
So you're saying you're not smooth enough to combine them. OK, I can live with that.

You didn't answer one of my question, however. Why are your servers two different versions?

[because the server named "development test server" has newer code.. -s]

[This message has been edited by samsyn (edited 11-03-2001).]

Jacius
Veteran Member
Member # 265

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacius   Email Jacius   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
synCopyrighted!

Wouldnt that make a great game!? We could take every game that anyone likes, add "syn" to the beginning! Yeah, that would be cool!

~~~~~

Seriously though, Arcadia is not meant for rehashing old games. It's meant to be a shell for quick games.

Yes, chess is not exactly original. Spades has even been done by samsyn before. synSpace can be refered to as part of an "ilk"

But there is always something new. synChess allows customizable boards and pieces, and has 16 different tables to play on. Spades has multiple tables as well, and allows you to use your own skin. synSpace has powerups, "3D" camera, etc.

So please, if your proposed toy can only be explained as "it's just like [insert game]".

If you have an original idea, or an original take on a used genre, go ahead, but if you just want to play classic games, go play the real ones.

-Jacius

Posts: 508 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
wyrmwood
Compulsive Member
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wyrmwood   Author's Homepage   Email wyrmwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, my synRockPaperScissors idea is out?
Posts: 3111 | From: Surrey B.C. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Volte6
Veteran Member
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Volte6   Email Volte6   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, how about a "Page" option?

When people are AFK or something, You could Page them. This would set off their PC speaker or something.

There should be #1 a limit..like once every 5 minutes.

#2 a way to disable it if you just dont wanna be paged

But it could be useful when people dont mind being paged

Posts: 948 | From: Woodland Hills, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jacius
Veteran Member
Member # 265

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacius   Email Jacius   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about seperate mutes for voice and SFX

There is a volume control in the voice setup, but even on the lowest, you can still hear SFX

-Jacius

[This message has been edited by Jacius (edited 11-12-2001).]

Posts: 508 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Merlin
Compulsive Member
Member # 181

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Merlin   Author's Homepage   Email Merlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In faceland if you go backwards then forwards then backwards then forwards (repeat), you slowly drift to the right.

I tested it on the boat. You start off at one side and then go up and down the boat without using left or rihgt keys. Eventually you slide off the right side.

-Merlin

Posts: 2797 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
$FISTofFATE$
Obsessive Member
Member # 918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for $FISTofFATE$   Email $FISTofFATE$   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if you can do this Dan, but I think that joypad compatibility would be really great. I think it would work real well with SynSpace.

Sorry if this topic has come up already

$FoF$

Posts: 6363 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
wosEntity
Verbose Member
Member # 3550

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wosEntity   Author's Homepage   Email wosEntity   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even better idea than FoF...

Let us customize the keys!

I want to shoot with... x! And self-destruct with... /! [Wink]

--------------------

I also want better Emperion (hope I spelled that right) controls.

Like using the arrow keys to scroll around would be much faster especially since Arcadia isn't fullscreen.

And there should also be a force-attack like in C&C so I can blow my own stuff up [Wink] .

Oh! And also make it so when you click the "?" button to check the stats, People with long names won't block out their unit count thing.

--------------------

And smiley steroids! Hold Ctrl key and your smiley goes twice as fast inside the Arcadia park! [Big Grin]

[ 05-29-2003, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: wosEntity ]

--------------------
WoS Underworld - WoS resources (half-dead)
Non-WoS Site

Posts: 1000 | From: California, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
F'Nok
Obsessive Member
Member # 201

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F'Nok   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how long it is before Dan makes "synDonation".

Why, you could even make it do this crazy celebration thing, or award ceremony whenever someone makes a donation [Smile]

Would be cute, and only take 10 minutes to do, heh.

--------------------
Kai-Goddess of SoV.
Swords of Villanousity : Website : Guild Hall : Forums

Posts: 5323 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nauiscaa
Compulsive Member
Member # 1111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nauiscaa   Email Nauiscaa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any chance for a SynReversi (Or othello how ever you wanna spell it.)

--------------------
"You don't have to love every skin posted, but you shouldn't post DESTRUCTIVE criticism, just CONSTRUCTIVE criticism." Samsyn

Posts: 2052 | From: Behind you... | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karst
Verbose Member
Member # 539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karst     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about a synCheckers? Or, a mod for synChess that allowed you to play checkers?

Same concept as chess, allowing multiple board designs, piece designs, and backgrounds, but just be an everyday game of checkers.

For those of us who don't feel like always going the extra mile to think about chess. Sure, it's a "rehash of another game", but as you said, so is synChess. If it were to be made a mod, then whenever you and your opponent sat down, you'd choose whether you wanted to play checkers or chess.

[well.. the problem with checkers is... well.. I have just never enjoyed the game... not that I am all that great of a chess player -- and I am certainly a lousy checkers player.. but I would rather work on games I enjoy playing... -s]

[ 11-27-2003, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
A41 release notes

Um, I forget.

* Bug fixes
* Support for Web Proxies
* More support functions for Toys to use
* More common 3D support (for synJet)

But mainly it was released today because the previous version expired! Ooops.

I will probably have to release A42 in tandem with the next synJet as I wasn't done adding the 3D stuff yet.

--------------------
He knows when you are sleeping.

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
A42 Release Notes
-----------------

This is the version I *wanted* to release next (A41 was just an emergency release). This has a coordinated set of changes to support synJet functionality. Hopefully all the other toys still work, but let me know if I broke anything.

If you just installed A41, your ISP may have 'cached' the installer and make your life difficult to get A42. Just keep trying.

This also includes a new copy of MIX. This is the only version of MIX you should use for Arcadia (so if yuo launch MIX servers manually, you might need to know that).

I will adapt WoS to use this MIX in the next release. It is MIX 1.16, for the record.

I didn't say much before, but check out the new Proxy support on the Network Options dialog. This will help if you use a web proxy and are unable to get a MIX server list at all (Stuck at: 'getting MIX master server address from web site')

--------------------

Durfenity
Healthy Member
Member # 4024

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Durfenity   Email Durfenity   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want a way to manually download Syn-Toys and manually unzip them (my Window XP has built-in winzip but doesnt have winzip32.exe)

Im sure its not Arcadia issue, just where the heck is link to downloads?

mdk
Veteran Member
Member # 2211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mdk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
check your '/Arcadia/Temp/' folder, when he asks for the winzip extractor file, the toy is already on your hardisk

--------------------
First lvl 100 in RoT ^^
FoA Forums

Posts: 839 | From: hmm it would be easier if i knew that | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
MJ/GrannyGrump/sciurid
Veteran Member
Member # 709

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MJ/GrannyGrump/sciurid   Email MJ/GrannyGrump/sciurid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't played synpool in nearly a year. In fact I had to redownload arcadia last night so the problem could be just me but when I click on the box below the cue spring it doesn't shoot. ::whine:: my cue is broken!

ahh it was a rodent problem. a shiney new optical trackball and all is well :-)

[ 01-02-2004, 07:37 AM: Message edited by: MJ/GrannyGrump/sciurid ]

--------------------
A woman is like a tea bag...You don't know how strong she is until you put her in hot water.

Posts: 965 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kinison
Member # 2891

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kinison   Email Kinison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A simple toy idea I thought up. Why not bring the pet system from WoS, change it so we can give monsters different attacks, have it so we each can have 1 monster, and let us battle... Or do something like ChUB...
Ebonydragoon
Member # 1693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ebonydragoon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SynBiot is already on the table I think, but for some reason I think Turnabout was going to have somethig to do with that as well :S
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
A43 Release Notes
-----------------

Three main changes:

* Integrated help support (so it's not quite so impossible to find an individual toy's web page... No one seems to have discovered the "11th toolbar button")

* New Proxy/Router changes (same as released for WoS in A79) Perhaps this will make it possible to share maps and faces for people who before were completely blocked -- you will still need to set up port forwarding on your router.

* Obeys the "toy=xxx" rule of the Mix Server. So an admin can set the rule to "toy=empyrion" and that will auto-select empyrion for all players. (you can use the correctly-spelled name, or the toy's ID number if you know it)

Leave the rule out if you want moderator/first visitor to choose the toy. (Uncle Dan's will remain open, but my special pool and collaboration servers will force their toys.)

--------------------

Mosquito
Verbose Member
Member # 814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosquito   Author's Homepage   Email Mosquito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What?! I use the "11th toolbar button" everytime a toy is updated so that I can see if you changed anything on the toy page. In fact, I used it yesterday to look up the Empyrion weapon properties.

I use almost all those toolbar buttons regularly. Well, to a point. [Razz]

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
That's coz you're COOL!

All the losers expected to find some toy help under the HELP menu.

Idiots!

---

I am sure you noticed that I did not REMOVE the 11th tool bar button :-)

In fact, I seem to recall that "User Interface Design By Nazis" says that a tool bar button should always be a shortcut for some buried menu option. So I was being a free spirit having buttons for things you could not do via the menu.

And I still am! Take THAT ui nazis!

--------------------

Mosquito
Verbose Member
Member # 814

Member Rated:
Ha ha! I think I actually found a bug and I never find bugs in Synthetic-Reality stuff. This is exciting for me.

Ok, when you go to a server that forces a game (like the synPool server) and then leave the server, you get stuck in that game for solo.

What I mean is, go to a server that forces the game. Leave the server and play solo. You cannot select a game, but you are forced to play the server setting.

[ooops -s]

[ 01-19-2004, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
A44 Release Notes
-----------------

Mainly this lays the ground work for synJam, which is NOT yet released, but it's nicer if you already have a compatible version of Arcadia.

The visible changes are:

* New 'Vers.' column in player list which indicates toy version for each player. A value of 'same' means they have the same version as you. Anything else means they don't (or in the case of '0' that you don't know yet)

* New 'Ping' info in player list. If you right-click on a player it will show you recent ping information between you and that player. If you check your OWN ping, it will probably say 0 msec, rather than the more informative ping of you to the server and back.

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Release Notes A45
-----------------

Basically this just improves the ping function. Turns out in A45 it was also counting the time you spent with the menu open.

Now to ping someone you must right-click on their name and then select the 'ping' option. The menu itself shows recent ping information.

--------------------

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hesacon   Author's Homepage   Email Hesacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toys like empyrion really lag when a lot of units are made by all sides. Might there be an option to lower resolution to reduce lag?

--------------------
SoV: Exalted Devout Oracle | World Developer | The Black Guard
Outside is just a prank older kids tell younger kids at Internet Camp

Posts: 9479 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.