Synthetic Reality Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Other Games » Warpath and Rocket Club » Mesa World (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Mesa World
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my favorite mars texture map being used both for the ship AND the terrain :-)

I still have a lot of "z-fighting" where the terrain meets the water, but let's pretend those are, um, wharves...

-

--------------------
He knows when you are sleeping.

Posts: 10561 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
Laoch Paladin
Obsessive Member
Member # 232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laoch Paladin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spiffy. Good luck with the coastline, though.

--------------------
But if we COULD use nails in the walls, I'd have a nail-bunny and I wouldn't need you!

Posts: 6096 | From: Minnesnowta | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

--------------------

$FISTofFATE$
Obsessive Member
Member # 918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for $FISTofFATE$   Email $FISTofFATE$   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why...must...you...torment...us...with....screenshots [Smile]

--------------------
Retired Lord of Internal Affairs
Lords of Destruction

Posts: 6363 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
 -

--------------------

Nappa
Member # 603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nappa   Author's Homepage   Email Nappa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the water aminated?(Spelled wrong)

--------------------
-{Since A35

Posts: 83 | From: Clarkston, Washington, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
 -

Hard to tell I made progress, but I did, honest. Mainly I was working on my 'recursive just in time fractalization from a single random seed' function. Making it neater, cleaner, and faster.

Also, it's now very dynamic in terms of some tuning parameters I can more easily play with to see what looks best.

Unfortunately, I didn't make a lot of progress getting rid of the stripes on the triangle lists. After all the effort I went to to compute normal vectors, I wish it looked better.

On one hand it does look nice, since the shading 'follows the sun' and can change over the course of the day. But on the other hand, it would probably look even better with the shading just built into the texture, and cycling the shadows on the terrain won't look all that great when compared to all the other things on the screen which probably won't be shaded right :-)

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
The water is animated in two ways:

1.) it goes up and down a little, sinusoidally

2.) it (can) cycle between several texture files.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 has really excellent, simple, animated water. I will be happy if I can look half that good, using #2 above.

I haven't seen anyone else do #1 before, and that's probably because it looks pretty bad when you have z-fighting going on. The 'literature' suggests using stencils to carve out a good coastline. I dunno though... I'm still excited about being able to dive under the surface, and most of the solutions to z-figthing work against that goal.

I'm half-inclined to leave this to the display cards... as they get better, they will have higher resolution z buffers and the problem might just go away :-)

--------------------

$FISTofFATE$
Obsessive Member
Member # 918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for $FISTofFATE$   Email $FISTofFATE$   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just my question but, is this some feature that will be put onto Rocket Club (On world flying) or just you doodling around?

Second question: Are you making the textures yourself or importing them from other places. If you are importing them I know some real good ones to use for water and posible mountains and structures on the ground.

--------------------
Lords of Destruction

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
These are all in-game rocket club screen shots. This is the view of a planet from inside the atmosphere. You can land on this surface and walk around on it. (Well, except that you have no body yet :-)

I put most of these into first-person view, which is why you don't see your space ship.

Planets are generated from random seeds, which control the terrain, its "roughness", and its general colorscheme (which comes from a .bmp graphic -- this one is my favorite image of mars)

Water is optional for a planet, and has additional random variations available. I am trying to beef the planetary generator up enough so that all planets don't end up looking pretty much the same (what's the point, eh?)

Ditto for atmosphere/cloud layers... yet to be done.

--------------------

$FISTofFATE$
Obsessive Member
Member # 918

Member Rated:
Well if you need more textures I can e-mail you some. They are from another game but I am sure if you ask them to use them it should be fine since the game is kinda non profit for you.

--------------------
Lords of Destruction

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
 -

This is a very high altitude shot

[ 09-15-2002, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
 -

Here is our intrepid shace ship in the atmosphere of some fire planet.

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
I am uploading RC6 right now...

It's still not a game. The HUB is generally not running, so you won't be able to connect to it, and even if you could, all it would let you do is chat.. sort of..

I think the following might be new:

* Possibly new splash screen
* new HUB/SOLO selector screen
* New Account Management screen (stolen from Arcadia)
* New F6 command to cycle planet color maps
* New commands to flatten terrain, use texture map as elevation data or photo
* Uses my MilkShape space ship (no, you can't make your own yet, other than by replacing mine, which is ok with me, but it will get overwritten)

F3 and F4 commands are still your best friends.

---

RC6 is now online.

--------------------

Laoch Paladin
Obsessive Member
Member # 232

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Laoch Paladin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The rock layers... or strata... or whatever... look really cool!

--------------------
But if we COULD use nails in the walls, I'd have a nail-bunny and I wouldn't need you!

Posts: 6096 | From: Minnesnowta | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
$FISTofFATE$
Obsessive Member
Member # 918

Member Rated:
Time to update my RC [Smile]

I can see Dan right now [Smile]

[ 09-15-2002, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: $FISTofFATE$ ]

--------------------
Lords of Destruction

Leniad
Veteran Member
Member # 194

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leniad   Author's Homepage   Email Leniad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhah... redesigon for RC website.
Nice looking, me likes! [Smile]

--------------------
"Eye of twilight give us sight
Take our offer, give us might
Make our power tears of night"

Posts: 794 | From: Somewhere in Argentina | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
F'Nok
Obsessive Member
Member # 201

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F'Nok   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had issues with what you call Z-Fighting as well...

The only sure way I've seen to fix it is to not place the water under the terrain. To clip around it.

You could just elevate the terrain to be 0.05 above the water, but if you were to fly on water level you could just pick it out (Aesthetics is upto you though).

Doesn't seem to matter the order you buffer or draw the objects either, the 3D engines all seem to like to draw them in the wrong order, so ordering the water first than the terrain unfortunately won't fix it (I'm sure you've tried that anyway).

--------------------
Kai-Goddess of SoV.
Swords of Villanousity : Website : Guild Hall : Forums

Posts: 5323 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nappa
Member # 603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nappa   Author's Homepage   Email Nappa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might be me, but RC is lagging bad(At Main Menu) after clicking "Blast Off". After doing ctrl-alt-delete, the little sign on prompt came up. It was fine afterwards. Great stuffs [Smile]

--------------------
-{Since A35

Posts: 83 | From: Clarkston, Washington, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
$FISTofFATE$
Obsessive Member
Member # 918

Member Rated:
My on world things doesn't look like the screenshots.. =\

I see the textures where the mountains are supposed to be but it is all flat there.

--------------------
Lords of Destruction

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
RC6 is generating a lot of triangles on planet (21 thousand or so), so it's pretty slow at the moment (I am getting about 18 fps while on planet, and 180 fps while in space) Hopefully it won't be too difficult to optimize

And be sure to use:

1.) F3 (cycle until you see a planet surface)
2.) F4 (cycle until you see a camera angle you like)
3.) F5 (cycle until you see mountains you like)
4.) F6 (cycle until you see terrain colors you like)

--------------------

Merlin
Compulsive Member
Member # 181

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Merlin   Author's Homepage   Email Merlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Need I say heeeeeck yeah?

-Merlin

Posts: 2797 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Camanator
Healthy Member
Member # 714

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Camanator   Author's Homepage   Email Camanator   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh......yes...... [Smile]

--------------------
Cameron

Silent Knight
Compulsive Member
Member # 1594

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silent Knight   Author's Homepage   Email Silent Knight   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lookin good
Posts: 3361 | From: Midland, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simmen Stenil
Veteran Member
Member # 1231

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simmen Stenil   Author's Homepage   Email Simmen Stenil   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is awesome.... need... Rocket Club... now!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Omega, the Master of Reality, has hatched from his Embryo and is ready to conquer the world once again.
Watch some of my videos.

Posts: 609 | From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
$FISTofFATE$
Obsessive Member
Member # 918

Member Rated:
I only get 80 fps in space....another sign of my crappy computer

--------------------
Lords of Destruction

Camanator
Healthy Member
Member # 714

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Camanator   Author's Homepage   Email Camanator   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, this is exciting!

--------------------
Cameron

Rikimaru
Healthy Member
Member # 1987

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rikimaru   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
awesome [Wink]

--------------------
Due to my sig being so crappy, It had to change. It sucked like a hoover.

Posts: 430 | From: Maryland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dead(X)EyE
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever played Operation Flashpoint? The water in the game rises and falls and has no problems with z bufering. But the game does not allow you to travel underwater.

What language are you programming Rocket Club in?
Are you using opengl for the 3d??

IP: Logged
Nappa
Member # 603

Member Rated:
I would think its in C++, just like WoS, and samsyn's other proggys...

--------------------
-{Since A35

F'Nok
Obsessive Member
Member # 201

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F'Nok   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's using Direct 3D *sniff*
OpenGL would run faster (and be portable) but he'd have to learn it, and I don't think that was on his agenda [Smile]

--------------------
Kai-Goddess of SoV.
Swords of Villanousity : Website : Guild Hall : Forums

Posts: 5323 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hal
Veteran Member
Member # 1426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hal   Author's Homepage   Email Hal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to thank someone, FoF I think, or Mosq for poiniting out RC6 is out. What happened to 5? o.0 And yes, I AM BACK! Well, in this forum. Not even looking at other ones. And I love it Dan.

"All else is secondary to RC!" (I'd use a WC quote, but I have a horrible junk vid card, and 64 RAM. Don't ask how SC runs on it, I'm scared to know myself.)

--------------------
Any and all velca will be added to your personal hahta in Angamando.

Posts: 711 | From: Chanhassen, Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
RC8 is out now as well :-)

I'm not keeping the documentation very clean, but hey, it's only vaporware, right?

RC8 is same as RC7 (which I erroneously called RC6), but the terrain is faster again (I get about 70 fps when flying over the terrain.)

Be sure to explore the menu options.

--------------------

$FISTofFATE$
Obsessive Member
Member # 918

Member Rated:
I told ya Hal [Smile]

--------------------
Lords of Destruction

Dead(X)EyE
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I find opengl to be much easier to program than direct 3d but thats just me. I like the idea of RC, it's like warpath but in 3d.
IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
when I first started RC, I looked at both OpenGL and Direct3D and found the documentation for OpenGL to be even more impenetrable than the documentation for Direct3D

Plus, Microsoft has shown such success in dominating standards, one way or another, I thought in the long run my life would be simpler if I just gave in to the evil empire on day one.

Now that I am a sophisticated 3D programmer [Smile] , they really do seem about the same... and I imagine the convergence will just get even greater.

Like most aspects of programming, you start out assuming the computer is going to be doing all the work for you, and it only slowly dawns on you how many of the details really are going to be your responsibility after all.

3D accelerator cards are amazing number crunchers, though, and another mental problem is accepting that a certain KIND of math is no longer expensive at all, and you can throw as much of it at the hardware as you like, instead of carefully re-organizing your life so as to do, for example, multiplies instead of divides.

I wish the dang thing would compute my vertex normals for me, though. That's where all the non-3d-card cpu is being burned in RC right now. I finally saw how I could normalize them without needing a square-root (big improvement), but I am still doing the cross product myself.

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Here's a different texture, plus nicer lighting, plus fog. we are very close to the ground in the foreground. note the nicer coastline as well.

-

This actually looks a million times better when you are slowly gliding over the surface, than as a static screenshot.

Next to do: multiple texture channels....

[ 09-22-2002, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

Hal
Veteran Member
Member # 1426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hal   Author's Homepage   Email Hal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooooooooooos and ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs. . .

--------------------
Any and all velca will be added to your personal hahta in Angamando.

Posts: 711 | From: Chanhassen, Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mosquito
Verbose Member
Member # 814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosquito   Author's Homepage   Email Mosquito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How could I have missed this post. This is the first I have seen it and it is 8 months old. I suck.
Posts: 1443 | From: Penn State | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Silent Knight
Compulsive Member
Member # 1594

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silent Knight   Author's Homepage   Email Silent Knight   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I frekin told you to come back Mosquito, I even made you a kick arse Char. now get your butt back to the Syn-Real community
Posts: 3361 | From: Midland, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.