Synthetic Reality Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Well of Souls » World Developers Forum » The basics of cookies (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The basics of cookies
Sir Mj
Obsessive Member
Member # 4642

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Mj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Custom Cookies 101
When using custom cookies in your world always be sure to keep a text file listing the name of every cookie (known commonly as a definitions file) along with the data type and reason/s for its use. Keep this in a work folder with any other 'files under construction' that you might have.

Having a definitions file for the custom cookies in my world saved me unearthly volumes of time when taking a peek at my code after fearing the work had been lost to the ethers approximately 5 years ago. Even if you take a week or few days away from development a definitions file is a great way to not only jog your memory as to which cookies do what, but to also avoid using the same name for (what's intended to be) more than one cookie and causing severe gameplay bugs.

[Edit]Added the 'why' to go with the 'what'.

[ 03-31-2010, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Sir Mj ]

--------------------
Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.

Fendaril Endless Death
Veteran Member
Member # 8358

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fendaril Endless Death   Email Fendaril Endless Death   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you just resurrect an old thread for such a tasteless and useless post?
Geno Ranger Prap
Compulsive Member
Member # 8095

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geno Ranger Prap   Email Geno Ranger Prap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See what I mean, Matt? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Innovation aimed at benefiting humanity is useless if it’s only accessible to a wealthy minority.

Posts: 3474 | From: The Bat Lair | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
saxamophone0
Obsessive Member
Member # 2917

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for saxamophone0   Author's Homepage   Email saxamophone0   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't be arsed to do this. I just remember my passwords and empty my cookies every few weeks. Also i don't accept third-party cookies and run no-script.

--------------------
Word is born.

Posts: 8526 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Mj
Obsessive Member
Member # 4642

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Mj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Meh, he's your little project Eric so I'll leave the jury out on it for now.

Saxamadude, different flavoured cookies in this thread.

--------------------
Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.

Geno Ranger Prap
Compulsive Member
Member # 8095

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geno Ranger Prap   Email Geno Ranger Prap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like judges or juries. So keep them far away if they know what's best for them.

--------------------
Innovation aimed at benefiting humanity is useless if it’s only accessible to a wealthy minority.

Posts: 3474 | From: The Bat Lair | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.