Synthetic Reality Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Well of Souls » Guilds and Tournaments » Are you a new Guild? [Updated 5-Aug-2004]

Author Topic: Are you a new Guild? [Updated 5-Aug-2004]
F'Nok
Member # 201

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F'Nok   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there are a few things you should know, not only to help your guild become successful and last, but to constructively use this forum.

And remember, if you don't know how to get started, or can't do these things on your own and want to have them, ASK FOR HELP.
Nothing worse than someone who complains they don't have something, when all they needed to do was ask for it. [Smile]

Don't talk to your members on here
Unfortunately, as there are thousands of guilds, this is not the place for a guild to use for communication with it's own members. The reason for this is that if every guild did it, this forum would simply become impossible to manage and it would take too long for people to find the relevant posts. But there are several very good ways for you and your guild to do this.

Instant Messaging
I recommend that you get AIM/MSN/ICQ and keep in touch with members using Instant Messages. And if many people in your guild use different messaging types, try our Miranda IM or Trillian, they allow you to use many at the same time.

Your own forum
You should sign up for a free forum somewhere, there are many good sites that provide this. This way, all members of your guild can use this forum to post to each other, discuss and leave each other a message.
It's also a fantastic way to make announcements to your guild, such as wars, tournaments and other things that your guild is doing.

Know your allies
If you make an alliance with someone, make sure you can communicate with them. Ask them if they have forums, or use IM. ANd if they don't you should ask yourself, "Are they really a serious guild? Can we rely on someone to help us when they can't help themselves?"

Embassies
Embassies are now pretty common among allied guilds. An embassy is a special place on your forum and/or theirs dedicated to communcations between the two guilds. This makes it very easy to contact your ally, make announcements to them, ask them for help, or offer them support.
Better yet, if you set up forum security, ONLY you and your ally can see it!

Ranking members
Make sure you know who the ranking members are of your allies, and that they know who is in you guild.
When you need to communicate with your ally, you need to know WHO to communcate with.

Announcing your guild to the world
Advertising your guild is a good way to get some attention and advice early on for a new guild, however, if you plan to post in this forum to do so keep a few things in mind.
Do no post "My guild is <blah> and I just started it and <blah>." Short posts with NO real content are useless.
Tell us about your guild. Perhaps detail what ranks you have, provide links to your guild hall entry, guild web page, forums, provide your AIM/Email or list who your allies and enemies are.
But do not post a small thread that says you've started a guild and nothing else, because all it does is clutter this forum, get YOU flamed by everyone else, and then get deleted by one of the mods. [Smile]

Do you need help?
If you don't know how, or are having trouble doing these things, or want further help setting up your guild correctly there are quite a few very experienced guild leaders and ranking members around here. If you ask for help, most would have no issue giving you a hand.
I myself have been a guild leader for over 4 years and I have helped dozens of guilds set themselves up in the past.

[ 08-04-2004, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: F'Nok ]

--------------------
Kai-Goddess of SoV.
Swords of Villanousity : Website : Guild Hall : Forums

Posts: 5323 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TBWaltZ
Veteran Member
Member # 805

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBWaltZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Unfortunately, as there are thousands of guilds, this is not the place for a guild to use for communication with it's own members.
You can say that again..I wish Samsyn would either jack up the hours or do something, so we wouldn't have so many newbie guilds.Personally, I liked it much better when there was only like 20 somethin guilds.

--------------------
You call me a monster? Your wrong, im the Devil!

Posts: 517 | From: Amityville | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
F'Nok
Member # 201

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F'Nok   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MotB, the reason for no inside guild communcation is listed.

ALso listed on another thread any many posts that are fine, you are a whinger and whiner, and one step from a black listing.

You had a post deleted, live with it you baby.

And this topic was left unlocked for a reason, to allow others to add advice, tips etc to it.
NOT to invite you to flame on this perfectly helpful topic. This is here to help people, why on Earth would you flame it?

[ 05-18-2004, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: F'Nok ]

--------------------
Kai-Goddess of SoV.

K.A.I.N
Compulsive Member
Member # 411

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for K.A.I.N   Author's Homepage   Email K.A.I.N   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yer i have something to add...
MY NAME TO THE CREDITS

Kai God K.A.I.N of SoV

--------------------
Kai God of SoV

Posts: 2952 | From: Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Zao
Compulsive Member
Member # 2982

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zao   Email Zao   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that this is good advice and that any new player/leader in WoS could profit from it.
Posts: 2030 | From: Stupid Ohio | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
the Anorexorcist
Healthy Member
Member # 4980

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Anorexorcist   Author's Homepage   Email the Anorexorcist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
very nice Nokky

--------------------
*cough*

Posts: 243 | From: 127.0.0.1 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
F'Nok
Member # 201

Member Rated:
Yes it was your post that inspired this.

So here's your name.

K.A.I.N was the guy the inspired this little helpful post, isn't he cool?

[Razz]

--------------------
Kai-Goddess of SoV.

K.A.I.N
Compulsive Member
Member # 411

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for K.A.I.N   Author's Homepage   Email K.A.I.N   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bout time [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Kai God of SoV

Posts: 2952 | From: Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tanis
Verbose Member
Member # 4110

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanis   Email Tanis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to see someone giving positive advice for once.

--------------------
-DTA- - Awesome

Posts: 1138 | From: Forever Sucks | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hell Knight Tor
Member # 5244

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hell Knight Tor   Email Hell Knight Tor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A word of advice from Tor:

You should also be very careful of how you make your guild come across. If you put to many personal ideals in your post, your likely to get a few quick enemies.

(note to self: follow own advice [Razz] )

Posts: 23 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
MasaMune
Verbose Member
Member # 2121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MasaMune   Author's Homepage   Email MasaMune   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is some more good advice:

Don't go running your mouth. All it gets you is someone calling war on you (which, in my oppinion is completely pointless on WoS, but, hell let the babies have their fun) and usually it just makes older (oldbies) players pissed off at you, and if your still fresh to the game, you may enjoy pking, but eventually, the older players will get to you because they dont stop, and yes, a lot of the older players run their mouths to.

Just remember it is just a game, so step back, take a breath, and return and either a) appologize, or b) fight them back, but don't ****ing complain, the other players don't want to hear it. Mix and match however you please.

Thats about it for my advice to new guilds and new players,

~MasaMune

--------------------
posted 06-29-2003 02:06 PM, (stupid newbie hacker masses!)-Samsyn
Lawlsuit Oekaki | Override Designs

Posts: 1992 | From: Beaverton, OR | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Havok
Healthy Member
Member # 5372

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Havok   Author's Homepage   Email Havok   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice advice. I shall remember these words as I am making my guild [Smile]

Oh yeah, after my guild is made, I want to ally with Dark Lotus and Twiztid [Razz] Ill hit Kon up for that later though

--------------------
Finally, an album that recognizes that while smoking is expensive, not a single smoker cares!- Monoxide Chainsmoker LP IN STORES NOW!

Posts: 236 | From: The Dezzy Cizzarn! | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam XD
Member # 5450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam XD   Email Adam XD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This iz all GREAT advice on guilds (wish i had it all when i made mine) noobies take notice of this topic it'll help u out

And any guilds that r interested in allying or ppl that wanna join a guild NoS iz waitin 4 ya [Wink]

[ 07-26-2004, 03:18 AM: Message edited by: Adam XD ]

--------------------
Wos iz a game faggots so stfu u stupid lil freaks go and get a life bcauz those ppl that tease u and bully u r neva gonna go away so deal whit em now lil computer freaks

Posts: 9 | From: In my home dumbass! | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amber
Healthy Member
Member # 5562

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amber   Email Amber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Havok making a guild? TAKE COVER! [Big Grin]

--------------------
My IQ is 135 - Free-IQTest.net - Mensa IQ Test

Posts: 252 | From: England | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Havok
Healthy Member
Member # 5372

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Havok   Author's Homepage   Email Havok   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I got the perfect Idea for a totally pwnage guild. But since i am Dark Lotus til I die, then I guess i will give my pwnage idea to some lucky newb!
ready here it is...

YOU CANT SEE ME

thats the guild name..

all you do is sit around in camps with trainers on and and go afk on links.. declare war on EVERYONE. Then when people come on the BBs crying cuz they was hacked... you can say GF! YOU CANT SEE ME!!! then wave your hand in front of your fce like John Cena. Then Dark Lotus can come along and stomp your bi-tch asses to the ground for acting like your hard and we'll give you the RKO like RKO gave triple H on monday night [Big Grin] THEN WE CAN ALL ODER A PIZZA AND POO ON IT ThEN GIVE IT BACK SAYING " I don't remember ordering a pizza with SAUSAGE!! Ha ha hahah a ha ha ha ha a ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ahhhhh you suck!"

OH and uhh seeing as how my topic about beating PEST CONTROL was deleted, i guess that just proves my point in saying Dark Lotus OWNED pest control. go figure... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Finally, an album that recognizes that while smoking is expensive, not a single smoker cares!- Monoxide Chainsmoker LP IN STORES NOW!

Posts: 236 | From: The Dezzy Cizzarn! | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zach
Veteran Member
Member # 5713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Omg Havok, you stole my idea...

HOW DARE YOU! [Frown]

--------------------
I don't mean any disrespect, but I hope you are buried alive.
The Acacia Strain

Posts: 906 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
L337QuickSilv3r
Member # 6130

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for L337QuickSilv3r   Email L337QuickSilv3r   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a new guild called -Ecco-. Please read about it and if you want ally it. My aim is L337QuickSilv3r.

--------------------
“We will not fly silently into the night, instead we will stand our ground and fight.” -Ecco-

Posts: 5 | From: In your hard-drive. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Nemesis
Member # 6365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
good advice
Posts: 7 | From: In Space | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Havok Da Juggalo
Veteran Member
Member # 4321

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Havok Da Juggalo   Author's Homepage   Email Havok Da Juggalo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Don't go running your mouth. All it gets you is someone calling war on you (which, in my oppinion is completely pointless on WoS, but, hell let the babies have their fun) and usually it just makes older (oldbies) players pissed off at you, and if your still fresh to the game, you may enjoy pking, but eventually, the older players will get to you because they dont stop, and yes, a lot of the older players run their mouths to.

Thats is very true. Almost all old players run their mouths. The new players will runtheir mouths thinking they are cool as well. Running your mouth does not make you cool, it makes you a hated player.

One really GREAT GREAT GREAT tip for the new guild creaters out there:

Never ever ever EVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR run form a PK fight. Same with healing or using pets. That will just make your guild a marked guild and 90% of the other guilds will go after you.

--------------------
Dear God or Godlike figure, please make scottie better. Look around, YOU OWE ME! If he isn't better by tommorow, THE DEVILS' GOT A NEW ERRAND BOY!

Now your mind is broken and you feel pain. What you call sanity is what I call insane.-Mr. Bones

Posts: 815 | From: Shangri-la | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Azgodeth
Verbose Member
Member # 285

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Azgodeth   Email Azgodeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
F'nok forgot his #1 top tip for keeping a guild around the longest...

make sure to leave one mule in the guild, even if everyone else leaves, and you quit for years ;p

--------------------
si vis pacem, para bellum.
Per aspera ad astra.

"of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most."

Posts: 1864 | From: a galaxy far far away | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grimreapu
Member # 5099

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grimreapu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's standard text book pking rules havok. Most new guilds won't make it through the dark ages of WoS. I'm curious of how many dark ages WoS will go through.

--------------------
We're all just prisoners of our own device.

We will gladly feast on the souls of those who would subdue us.

Posts: 66 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leave_Me_Dead
Healthy Member
Member # 8470

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leave_Me_Dead   Email Leave_Me_Dead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a list of guilds dated from 2010 down?
Posts: 265 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Geno Ranger Prap
Compulsive Member
Member # 8095

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geno Ranger Prap   Email Geno Ranger Prap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ease that trigger' finger, comrade.

--------------------
Innovation aimed at benefiting humanity is useless if it’s only accessible to a wealthy minority.

Posts: 3474 | From: The Bat Lair | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.