my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Other Games » Arcadia » synVideo Release Notes

Author Topic: synVideo Release Notes
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I am about to push a synVideo update, it might as well have its own release notes topic.. or a new one at least...

--------------------
He knows when you are sleeping.

Posts: 10561 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Release .0008

* Handles gray scale images without crashing
* right-click menus re-organized
* New command: sort by size
* New command: sort by date
* New command: sort by name (kinda broken)
* New command: save as...
* New command: open diary page of sender
* Web Page updated
* Now supports drag and drop (drag image to synVideo to send it)
* Won't overwrite existing file unless it comes from 'orginal author'

Known Issues:

There are several maximum file size/dimension issues. For example, synVideo simply refuses to deal with pictures which are too large, in the (width x height) sense, which means you have to shrink them before you send them. Exactly how large that is, is a mystery to me [Smile] . But I know it is smaller than the default resolution of my camera, so it's a drag to drag, so to speak.

Several of the new features (drag and drop, and open diary in particular) require an update to Arcadia as well. (Arcadia A56, also released)

[ 07-08-2007, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

Luke 3024
Member # 7451

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke 3024     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes people send someones else image with a modification, you should have it keep the origonal copy? like...

000005BA.AFK_47.crazy(0)

Then, i scribble on his picture and resend it...
000005BA.AFK_47.crazy(1)

good idea!?

Posts: 97 | From: america | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Luke 3024
Member # 7451

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke 3024     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Problem. People are sending images spoofing as others. I was accused of sending a picture, accuser gives me the name but its not on my list. Somone sent me an offensive picture so i delted it, i dont know if this was the same picture i was later accused of sending or not. Is it possible a glitch where i delete a picture and later it sends as from me and i cant see i sent it?... I dont know but it causes lots of problems. I can say i definately did not send this picture. Woo Hoi makes similar claims but i can not vouch for him i dont know what to beleive. Everyones pointing fingers.
Luke 3024
Member # 7451

Member Rated:
Also the show diary of sender thing isnt working for me all the time. Sometimes it always brings up the same person in my diary. If i re enter a few times it can be fixed by its self. I resent someones picture, and i right clicked the instance from me (the latest entry of that image, as i have just resent it) and go to show diary and it shows the authors diary. Its flawed. Syn Video just makes everyone around me argue [Frown]
Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beoghztt   Author's Homepage   Email Beoghztt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luke, just one thing.

How is impersonation possible for synVideo?

You seem to complain about it, but as far as I know, it is impossible for anyone to fake who the file was sent by, unless you hack his computer or something.

Just like you can't fake who's talking.

What we're really talking about here is probably an anti-hack, not just for synVideo, but for Arcadia itself.

--------------------
This signature contains a lot of foul languages.
                                                                                   Also racism.

Posts: 2227 | From: Yokohama, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Luke 3024
Member # 7451

Member Rated:
What are you talking about your the one saying i was sending pics that i didnt.
Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beoghztt   Author's Homepage   Email Beoghztt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly.

So the possibilities are:

1) Someone hacked and made it look like the pictures were sent from you
2) You sent it but began flipping out saying it wasn't you

--------------------
                                                                                   Also racism.

Deadly Headshot
Compulsive Member
Member # 6098

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deadly Headshot   Author's Homepage   Email Deadly Headshot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to point out that Beo may be the culprite (sp?) - He sent me an image pretending to be Woo Hoi...

... Or maybe it was an Irony thing...

--------------------
"Carpé Agnus"
{GS} Pwnz
I like reviving old topics, it makes me feel needed...

{GS} is dead, sorry.

I've finally changed my av!

Posts: 2885 | From: Great Britain | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
quote:
He sent me an image pretending to be Woo Hoi...
What?

I mean, it would make sense if it was the other way around, but if I was not joking, why in the world would I do that?

Like I have mentioned above, I do not know of a way to impersonate synVideo images, nor I know how to hack. You guys can all stop accusing me now.

--------------------
                                                                                   Also racism.

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
um, the author identification features were never meant to be "oh let's track the author so we can complain about them"

They are for "oh, that's a nice picture, and billy apparently took it"

But you're right about the diary feature, I should have called it "author's" diary entry, not "sender's"

What's a good name for 'author' that makes more sense in this case... that's short... maybe.. 'source' or 'creator'

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
SynVideo .0009 Release Notes
----------------------------

* adds a text line when sending/receiving images, documenting the image name and sender/receiver name, for people who are confused as to who sent them a picture

* adds progress meter(s) for incoming images (and a new option to disable progress meters if you hate them)

* adds support for a few sound effects, but only actually wires in one for clicking in the image list.

* clicking in the main window no longer toggles stretch mode. There is now a little glyph in the top right you can click on instead

* clicking/dragging in the main window now drags the image around (unless you are in stretch mode). This allows you to explore images which are too large to fit in your window, without having to stretch/squish them.

I think that's it.

--------------------

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hesacon   Author's Homepage   Email Hesacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeez, with the work done on synvideo, it's only a matter of time until synspades is fixed!

--------------------
SoV: Exalted Devout Oracle | World Developer | The Black Guard
Outside is just a prank older kids tell younger kids at Internet Camp

Posts: 9479 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Darkclaw
Healthy Member
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darkclaw   Email Darkclaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lmao, Hesacon let's not get too far ahead of ourselves now [Wink]

I mean that's just insane!

--------------------
-SoV

Posts: 343 | From: Sewers | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nobody
Veteran Member
Member # 7934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nobody   Email Nobody   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a limit to the amount of images that will be listed in synvideo? I have over 4,500 images in my synvideo folder now but it's only showing about 2/3 of them in-game.

--------------------
All is silent in the halls of the dead.

Posts: 991 | From: The Abyss | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hesacon   Author's Homepage   Email Hesacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably some power of two. My guess is an artificial limit around 4096.

--------------------

Nobody
Veteran Member
Member # 7934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nobody   Email Nobody   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still, it gets annoying having to hunt for the image manually through the folder instead of them all being organized into that nice little list in SynVideo [Razz]

--------------------

Maghnus
Healthy Member
Member # 6517

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maghnus   Author's Homepage   Email Maghnus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've often wanted a sort of search feature. I guess you could always open of the folder in Windows explorer and search it, but something that searches the filenames in the list of images recieved form within SynVideo might also be nice. I was thinking a search box that you could type into including partial filenames (or just the recognition of the * wildcard, the same thing more or less) so that if I can't remember who sent a certain image that I wished to resend, I could quickly type the part of the filename I remembered and then the list would be re-organized with the best matches at the bottom (since the list auto-scrolls down if the last image is selected, so it makes more sense to organize it bottom-up). I've also often thought the ability to re-organize the list by date might be useful. Oh, and I noticed that the filesize in SynVideo is based on 1 KB = 1000 B. Well that's my two-cents for the year.

[ 12-18-2007, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Maghnus ]

--------------------
Who is Hotaru Tomoe?

Posts: 188 | From: Stratosphere | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flamelord   Author's Homepage   Email Flamelord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps Dan could implement the sqlite database system in Arc as well; this would be a good use of it, I think.

--------------------
Constantinople! We shall never forget your zany barge poles!

Posts: 4232 | From: Gresham, OR | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Maghnus
Healthy Member
Member # 6517

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maghnus   Author's Homepage   Email Maghnus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, in case I didn't already say so, bravo to the improvements to SynVideo over the past year. Well done. I especially like the ability to drag compatible images directly into SV, and how I can drag around the image to scroll now. Both very nice and useful improvements.

[you can also sort by date [Smile] right-click on list for sort options.. -s]

[ 12-19-2007, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------
Who is Hotaru Tomoe?

Nobody
Veteran Member
Member # 7934

Member Rated:
Any chance of getting image support for files other than .jpg? like .png at least?

--------------------

Nobody
Veteran Member
Member # 7934

Member Rated:
Also, how about making it where mod can block someone from sending images?

--------------------

Hesacon
Obsessive Member
Member # 3724

Member Rated:
.gif would be more useful than .png

--------------------

Deadly Headshot
Compulsive Member
Member # 6098

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deadly Headshot   Author's Homepage   Email Deadly Headshot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could be difficult, but animated gifs would be great...

--------------------
"Carpé Agnus"
{GS} Pwnz
I like reviving old topics, it makes me feel needed...

{GS} is dead, sorry.

I've finally changed my av!

Posts: 2885 | From: Great Britain | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Maghnus
Healthy Member
Member # 6517

Member Rated:
It would be good if a third state was added to the resize toggle button (the square in the top-right of the image view) that would allow the image to be scaled to fit the width of the image in the viewable area. This would also lock the ability to drag the image horizontally, though vertical dragging would still be possible. Many times images are significantly taller than they are wide. In those cases, the current scaling method of resizing to relatively largest isn't very practical.

--------------------
Who is Hotaru Tomoe?

Beoghztt
Compulsive Member
Member # 2888

Member Rated:
That would be good if it would be added as a personal preference, rather than adding a third state.

As for the expanded file type support... PNGs and GIFs would be very useful. However GIF animations aren't really my flavor, I'd rather upload it somewhere and share the link for GIF animations (and no I don't use Imageshack, thank you). Plus some GIFs come with transparency,

But in reality, GIF support is a big pain in the rear because:
1) They only come in 256 colors, which may seem fine, but is a big no-no because the image will get horribly messed up unless it has the exact same color palette as souls.pal used by Arcadia, which is highly unlikely for most GIF images (unless you actually convert its palette to souls.pal, but I'd rather take less hassle and just convert it to a JPEG).
2) Some GIFs are animated. It would be a lot easier for Dan if he'll ignore all the anim frames and share GIFs as a static image, though.
3) Some support transparency. Transparency is not simply pixels with an "invisible" color; GIF takes one of the colors on its color palette to be transparent, meaning again this will conflict with souls.pal. This may cause funky glitches unless Dan pays most careful attention when adding GIF support. Of course, he can also let synVideo ignore transparency and not deal with "much pain for little gain".

I generally prefer PNGs over GIFs, also, because PNG supports both 24-bit and 256 colors, and are often smaller in filesize than GIFs. Of course, I know when to use whether a JPG, GIF, PNG, or BMP; most of the images I upload are desktop screenshots or games with low-end graphics, and PNGs are imo best for such screenshots.

[ 06-30-2008, 05:36 AM: Message edited by: Beoghztt ]

--------------------
                                                                                   Also racism.

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
not that support for PNG, GIF, or aGIF is in any way likely, I would like to point out that synVideo actually uses my special '16 bit color' support as opposed to the souls palette. That's why photos look much better in synVideo than elsewhere in Arcadia/WoS.

And no, I can't just use it elsewhere as I lose all my sprite/image merging stuff.

--------------------

Nobody
Veteran Member
Member # 7934

Member Rated:
Bug report.

I was in synvideo, and I drug an image to the screen to send. Then my Arcadia client crashed.

I thought nothing of it and reloaded it.

But when I entered the server again,the toy would not load. The box came up saying that synvideo was loading, but the screen stayed on the toy select screen and would not let me chose a toy. I re-entered and tried multiple times.

It doesn't matter if I'm alone or if there's other people in the server before me, I cannot load synvideo.

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
I am guessing it was a very large image... and that synVideo is trying to reload it every time.

so... hmmm... where do I save the file list? I think I just use 'all files in the directory' so look in

../arcadia/toys/toy9/frames

the file you dragged in is probably in there, and if you delete it from the frames folder you will probably reoover.

Feel free to email it to me though so I can see in more detail why it crashes things.

--------------------

Nobody
Veteran Member
Member # 7934

Member Rated:
The image was fairly small, about 54kB. It seems to be the image name itself that messed things up, since I made a renamed copy and it sent fine.

The name was too long for it to have properly sent to others, but it still saved to my PC when I drug it from IE.

Edit: I sent the image through the email so you can see if there's anything in particular in the filename that would have caused this.

[ 12-18-2008, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Nobody ]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.