Synthetic Reality Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Android Games » synSpace: Drone Runners » synspace: Drone Runners 1.0.08 Release Notes

Author Topic: synspace: Drone Runners 1.0.08 Release Notes
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are the release notes for the 1.08 release of synSpace: Drone Runners, a space game for Android that supports player-created starMaps, shipShells, pilotFaces, synthPatches, sequencerGrooves, and alien Ham Radio via the vocoder.

Available in the Google Play Store for phones and tablets, and on Amazon for Kindle Fire HD devices

Summary:

(will be provided when released)

--------------------
He knows when you are sleeping.

Posts: 10638 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK! Just released 1.07 for Google Play store, now to update Amazon... if I can remember how to do that. New coding will go to version 1.08, documented here as it happens!

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
And Amazon is now updated. Less than 24 hours, on xmas eve. Pretty Good, Amazon!

And that apparently includes automated testing on a variety of kindle devices. They then send me a summary and noted that I failed on the newest 8" Kindle (2018 version). I have a zillion of these, probably, so I know it works on them in general. But I have found in the past that after an OS update, that which once worked can sometimes stop working.

Also, when developing, you tend to use the same devices over and over, and that's not a fair test against a device which is being installed for the very first time. It's easy to create a dependency on a file that a real user would not have yet.

They don't send me a stack, however, so I have to actually duplicate the error at home. (Google Play Store sends me full stackdumps on my rare crashes... super rare)

Or maybe it's another permission system change. There have been a lot of those lately and I be;oeve API 23 is the boudnary at which I have to use an entirely different system. But will Kindle and GPS both require that at thhe same time? We'll see!

I do hope they find a balance between "not checking enough" and "scaring the crap out of you"

Anyway, I hate to think someone got a new FireHd8 for xmas JUST to play synSpace :-)

---

Oh, but my POINT was this gave me an excuse to buy another FireHD. And the 8" was my favorite back when it was $90, and now its more like $40

[ 12-26-2018, 03:48 AM: Message edited by: samsyn ]

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
And, after confusing myself further, I think I am now API23 compliant, formally asking for the scary permissions (microphone) just before I need them, and being more graceful in the case where permission is denied (less crashing!)

But now the min api is 21, where before it was 19 (I think), and I'm not sure I want to do that. I know I am forgetting something that changed, that is probably why I changed in the first place.

AND, because I use Google Play Services to access your Google Drive (to import a star map file that you're working on), I have to ask for the GET_ACCOUNTs permission, which to me is super scary and I don't want that responsibility so I am upset that GPS demands I do so.

But in 1.07 I added the ability to import from a local file (that you dragged into the device over USB cable or something), and didn't notice that it isn't limited to just local storage. It can import a file from pretty much any cloud storage your device knows about. Which includes Google Drive, so I no longer need my old code (and maybe no longer need that permission! and maybe can unlink from GPS, which scares me and slows down startup)

So that's the GOOD news, but the bad news is that apparently that technology only works for importing files and not for sending new files to storage. I still use the GPS stuff to send to google drive.

But I could change that to send only to local storage (and then demand you USB that into your main desktop as needed). It's not functionality needed by anyone but the map developer and it's probably very convenient for them. So I might do that if it gives me a chance to unlink from GPS and that permission.

I also ask for CAMERA permission, but only so you can use your camera to create your FACE bitmap, and for that I don't talk to the camera API directly, I just send an intent that launches your camera app (and then IT should check for permission). So I don't think I need to ask for that one, and it's probbaly confusing that I do. but I'm trying to follow the rules.

It's been confirmed that the newest 2018 Kindle Fire HD 8" is api23 and barfs when 1.07 uses the microphone without the explicit runtime check. And that also happens on a modern LG thinq phone, so probably it fails on all the newest devices at the moment (presumably all fixed in this next release 1.08)

I could deploy that immediately, but first I have to worry about api19. I guess I should build it for 19, then try to submit it to GPS, and give them the chance to say '19 is too old!' Unless I had some compelling reason to leave 19...

--------------------

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
ah, too bad, I missed the chance to mention 1.08 on Jan 8. And 2019 could be thought of as referring to API19 and API 20. Numerologically significant day, shame I missed it.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.