Synthetic Reality Forums   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Our Archives » WoS World Developer Tips » Camp JPEG's

Author Topic: Camp JPEG's
Cactrot
Verbose Member
Member # 409

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Cactrot   Author's Homepage   Email Cactrot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any way to prune the Evergreen camp backgrounds from the list in the World Editor? I'm not using any of them and it's annoying to have these names forced onto my list when I don't have them in my worlds scenes directory.
Posts: 1043 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
sndrsn
Healthy Member
Member # 1104

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sndrsn   Email sndrsn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
U could just copy them to a backup folder whileyou were Devving ur world.
Sampsyn, Why are the scene BGs so poor quality?

Fred Spade
Verbose Member
Member # 759

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Fred Spade   Author's Homepage   Email Fred Spade   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Install a second WoS called wosBuild, delete the Evergreen folder and the contents of the root 'scenes' folder.

Posts: 1559 | From: Hồ Chí Minh / Sài Gòn | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jacius
Veteran Member
Member # 265

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacius   Email Jacius   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sndrsn, what do you mean?

First off, the backgrounds are jpegs, so the bigger your screen, the bigger it has to be stretched, and thus the worse it looks.

If you mean why do *dan's* backgrounds look so poor quality, then you must be seeing things, because samsyn's BGs are r0x0rz.

I guess the advantage of have a 3D rendered world is that you can render shots from different positions.... like way up close to make a scene BG..

-Jacius

Posts: 508 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
sndrsn
Healthy Member
Member # 1104

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sndrsn   Email sndrsn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
maybe it's just my vido card but BG's seem to look circly
Cactrot
Verbose Member
Member # 409

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactrot   Author's Homepage   Email Cactrot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Either I have to sift through a list with an extra 107 BG's on it OR I cripple Evergreen.

Not much of a solution, but Evergreen is now black.

Posts: 1043 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mosquito
Verbose Member
Member # 814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosquito   Author's Homepage   Email Mosquito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try putting "aaa" in front of all your BGs and it will clump them together at/near the top of the list.

Posts: 1443 | From: Penn State | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shon-dahre
Spammer
Member # 650

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shon-dahre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there are a few reasons for the low quality:

1. (already mentioned) they need to be stretched to fit the screen size, and if you make the window a weird size, the pixels will have odd shapes

2. The game only uses 256 colours! If you want realism, you want AT LEAST 16bit colour mode... But it is better for some games to have low colour settings because it makes the games MUCH quicker, thus lowering requirements for hardware.

3. The jpegs look pixelated because of 'hashing'... Where it uses several different pixels to try and mimic a colour that you cannot actually have in the limited 256 colour palette. so, if you wanted for instance, purple in a 4 colour mode containing only black, red, blue and green (example), then it would put pixels like blue, red, blue and on the next line red, blue red, like this :p

pretend the smileys are pixels, and if you get far enough back, it should look a sort of bluey yellow colour :P

Posts: 12690 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cactrot
Verbose Member
Member # 409

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactrot   Author's Homepage   Email Cactrot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You do realize that JPEGs are already 16 million colours, right?

Since I was talking about scene BG's, I have no idea why sndrsn brought up the hashing, that only applies to maps.

Scene BG's are streched, no circles to be seen.

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Background jpegs are first loaded (24 bit color, but with some pixel 'noise') into memory. Then each pixel is converted from 24bit (3 bytes) to 256 color (one byte) by picking the 'closest available color' in the palette. This is where most of the image degradation comes from.

The pixels themselves are not yet resized, so any increased pixellation is an optical illusion brought about by the greater color change between pixels.

Then the image is stretched to fit the current screen size, at which time pixels are duplicated/dropped as needed. This definitely increases the pixellation of the image when displaying a small BG image on a big windows screen.

The world designer has the option of providing a higher resolution JPG in the first place to minimize that part of the degradation, with the attendant increase in download size for the world. I chose 320x256 for evergreen since it was 'good enough' for my esthetic sense (lots to be read into THAT sentence) and resulted in a pretty small download.

A more esthetic world designer might, at the very least, consider using a higher resolution image for the more common/important backgrounds (the well of souls itself, for example).

-----

But you're stuck with the 256 color palette.

[This message has been edited by samsyn (edited 09-21-2001).]

Posts: 10561 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
sndrsn
Healthy Member
Member # 1104

Rate Member
It's probably my vid card *sigh*
sry 4 wasting time

sndrsn
Healthy Member
Member # 1104

Rate Member
Well there is with me a tiny difference:

[JPG format] [WoS]

[This message has been edited by sndrsn (edited 09-21-2001).]

[This message has been edited by sndrsn (edited 09-21-2001).]

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, if you look at the clouds you can see the big difference. The real clouds have lots of very subtle color differences which require high precision color to visualize. Post 256-colorization each pixel has to be one of a small handful of related colors, so the individual pixels are much more obvious, even though they haven't really changed size (assuming you haven't stretched the screen yet, I mean)
Posts: 10561 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.