Synthetic Reality Forums   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Our Archives » WoS World Developer Tips » Cut Scenes

Author Topic: Cut Scenes
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am deleting this from the dev notes, so I thought I would give it a home over here..

----------

Note the quick & dirty CUT scene support in A50.
A cut scene is same as a normal scene, but the human player's are invisible (they are actually still in the scene, though - so be sure to END the scene when it's done, other wise they will be able to stand around and hit each other invisibly.

Of course, you could use that to your advantage if:

1.) you made the background BLACK and your goal was to imply the scene was dark.

2.) you wanted an NPC in the scene to render the players invisible for sport. If you used a FIGHT opcode in such a scene, you would be able to have a fight where all the humans were invisible. Weird, but who knows, maybe you want weird.

The expected use is to either terminate the CUT scene as soon as you have finished your scripted comments, or use the GOTO SCENE command to switch to a more normal scene.

In fact, you might want to chain 3 scenes together:

Normal Scene One, where NPC tells you he is about to tell you a story. Then GOTO SCENE 2

CUT scene two, where you see NPCs deliver scripted lines but all the human players are invisible. then GOTO SCENE 3

Normal scene three (or a return to scene one with a token set maybe) where the original NPC who was telling you the story reappears

Posts: 10610 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
Jacius
Veteran Member
Member # 265

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacius   Email Jacius   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, samsyn, I'm digging this one up.

Quick and dirty cutscenes are okay for.. well.. cutscenes where you just have actors walking around and talking and such.

But you cant have anything to do with fights (fights not involving the player, that is), because the player is still there, you just cant see him/her. You can still attack/be attacked while in a cutscene..

Perhaps a quick and easy way to fix this would be to make the engine think that the player was dead (thus, they would not be targetted by monsters, and could not attack)

Anyway, that would be nifty keen and such, because you could have actual battles between "actors", instead of having to execute a 100-line mock-battle...

Pwetty pwease?

-Jacius

Posts: 508 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid I don't see enough payoff for the amount of work this would represent.

Plus the fights would not necessarily end the way you expected them to...

Posts: 10610 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
Jacius
Veteran Member
Member # 265

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacius   Email Jacius   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why, that's exactly the point!

This is mostly based on sndrsn's Gladiator thing, where he has two gladiator actors "fight", and the one that you bet on wins. Well, if you saw it, it's quite large. It would be easier just to have two gladiator monsters truly fight, and if the one on your team won, you could go back to the book keeper and get your cash/items, with a WON check.

It's not that big of a deal, but it could be used in some situations. Bah, I'm too tired to defend myself... *yawn*

Anyway, if you ever wake up some saturday morning and think "Now what in the world am I gonna do today?"...

-Jacius

Posts: 508 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.