Synthetic Reality Forums   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Our Archives » WoS World Developer Tips » Character Class questions

Author Topic: Character Class questions
Fred Spade
Verbose Member
Member # 759

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Fred Spade   Author's Homepage   Email Fred Spade   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This pertains to LEVELS.TXT

1. Are these arguments actually used:

arg2: Additional max HP earned when level is attained

arg3: Additional max MP earned when level is attained

..and can I set them to 0?

2. Can I set a different name for character class level 100 or does it just go to level 99?

I ask this because I wonder if Character Class Level "5100" (following 500-599) would be possible..
If not it's no big deal.

3. I'm trying and failing to limit the classes element levels.

In the following example I'm trying to have:

life - learnable to level 9
water - unavailable
nature - to lv 2
earth - to lv 2
death - unavailable
fire - unavailable
spirit - to lv 2
air - unavailable

START_ELEMENT_PP
556, 0, 556, 556, 0, 0, 556, 0

MAX_ELEMENT_PP
1000000, 0, 2142, 2142, 0, 0, 2142, 0

The unavailable elements are ok but I'm finding my cheat character is offered the "Click to increase" option instead of "You can train no more" on the elements that are supposed to rise to level 2 maximum.

Have I done something wrong or missed something?

Posts: 1561 | From: Hồ Chí Minh / Sài Gòn | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Merlin
Compulsive Member
Member # 181

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Merlin   Author's Homepage   Email Merlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) Yes, they are used, and I believe you can set them to zero, but if you use AUTO MAX, it overrides them.

2)Just level 99.

3)I have no clue.. that looks right to me.

-Merlin

Posts: 2797 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
START_ELEMENT_PP
556, 0, 556, 556, 0, 0, 556, 0

Do you really have it broken into two lines like that? (I assume you just did that for clarity in the post). If so, that would be a problem, as opposed to:

START_ELEMENT_PP 556, 0, 556, 556, 0, 0, 556, 0

-----

And you have to have all the "special" directives just after line 0 and before line 1 of the class definition.

-----

And if you had more than one MAX_ELEMENT_PP line in a class, it *probably* uses the last one it encounters...

-----

And I *hope* this table is still accurate, but there is always the possibility that it isn't:

; PP Levels
;
; The PP required for each level grows according to a nasty equation, but here are the PP
; limits as of the time of this writing.
;
; level 0 PP 0 - 555
; level 1 PP 556 - 1250
; level 2 PP 1251 - 2142
; level 3 PP 2143 - 3333
; level 4 PP 3334 - 5000
; level 5 PP 5001 - 7500
; level 6 PP 7501 - 11666
; level 7 PP 11667 - 20000
; level 8 PP 20001 - 45000
; level 9 PP 45000 - 1000000

--------

And, of course, it's always possible that there is a bug and MAX_ELEMENT_PP no longer works at all.

But looking at the code, it looks like it SHOULD be still working (famous last words)

And I just confirmed that cheat characters do not get any special right to exceed the max.

Posts: 10566 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
Fred Spade
Verbose Member
Member # 759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fred Spade   Author's Homepage   Email Fred Spade   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I now know WHAT it is but I don't know WHY it is.

I should have tested this before posting previously. Anyway:

I set the limit of element 6 to level 2 and it said "blah blah tnl etc" so I carried on and DID hit level 3 but THEN it stopped me once I hit that level (ie. a level too high).

Once I touched any other element it then dropped back to level 2.

Strangely enough, sometimes I can then increase element 6 back to level 3 again but not elements 2 or 3 (also limited to level 2), they just stay at the correct level.

Weird huh?

Next, I think: "when it goes to level 3 again try learning a level 3 spell"..

Well, now I've found having re-incarnated the character that element 6 is solidly level 2 but element 2 could go up to 3!

Um, still following?

This is just too much trouble changing all my world settings to test this when it keeps changing and I really have SO MUCH to do that I'm going to brush it under the carpet

For anyone still reading who may be confused this appears to be simply a minor glitch, and it's my opinion it wouldn't let you learn the spell anyway.

Thanks for the replies though, I can now carry on with the levels.txt editing

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well....

I just added a little "cheat sheet" to /funpak so when you load a world it tells you how much PP is required for each level.

It looks like it might just be a documentation error that when I say:

level 1: 555-1250

I really SHOULD say

level 1: 555-1249

i.e. subtract one from all the maximums.

But I think there is room for a teensy bit of uncertainty due to different round off strategies in different versions of the C runtime library, so I guess I would recommend playing it safe and setting the max a little less than you expect. (like 20 PP less might be nice, since training is 20 PP per click)

Lady Griffon
Verbose Member
Member # 189

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Lady Griffon   Author's Homepage   Email Lady Griffon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you've changed it training is 200 not 20 PP.

LGH

[hush woman! I make no mistakes! it's um.. 20 in.. um.. base one hundred! um.. no.. um yes.. yes.. base one hundred. all the cool people are using that. You base ten freaks are about to go extinct! -s]

[This message has been edited by samsyn (edited 08-27-2001).]

Posts: 1463 | From: Myzan | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Fred Spade
Verbose Member
Member # 759

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Fred Spade   Author's Homepage   Email Fred Spade   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! What gives HIM the right to think he knows anything?

The 'Cheat sheet' sounds like a good idea btw..

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
but if I can be serious for a moment.... nope... sorry.. I guess I can't.

Um, contrary to what I said above, training *is* 200PP, but I think a safety region of 20PP should be sufficient. Heck, 1PP really OUGHT to be enough, I am just being a fraidy cat weeny.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.