Synthetic Reality Forums   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Our Archives » WoS World Developer Tips » A58 Feature: /STEPPER

Author Topic: A58 Feature: /STEPPER
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the STEPPER!

Stepper is a floating dialog which lets you single-step through the execution of scene scripts. This might be useful when debugging your latest world.

The top half of the window is the current scene script (whatever is running at the time, if anything. However you go about starting up a script, it will appear here. However, if you edit your quest files, the changes will not appear here until the next time you execute the modified script)

The bottom half is a list of cookies and condition codes. This is not simply a list of all possible cookies and condition codes, only the ones which change/are used in the course of executing your script.

The window is resizable, but there is no splitter.

===================
HOW TO USE STEPPER:

1.) Invoke stepper first by typing "/stepper" This *is* a cheat and will mark your character.

2.) Stepper then "pauses" the script engine. (You can un-pause it either by closing stepper, or un-checking the pause checkbox.

3.) Trigger a script with "/scene 200" or stepping on a link, or whatever. For your convenience, I also support "/stepper 200" which both opens the stepper AND starts scene 200.

4.) Press the STEP button to let the script engine execute one command and then pause again. A cute green arrow points to the next command to be executed.

5.) Watch the cookie window for useful information about cookies and IF condition codes. Cookies are updated as the command is executed (not before)

6.) RIGHT-CLICK in the @label column to set and clear BREAKPOINTS (altogether now, fellow programmers, "ooooooh BREAKpoints... Dan is CLASSY!")

===========================
MISCELLANEOUS STEPPER FACTS

1.) Closing the stepper window un-pauses the scene (and clears out the stepper data)

2.) UnCheck the PAUSE checkbox to let the scene run full tilt, even with the stepper window open. Tons O' Fun.

3.) The green arrow points to the NEXT LINE TO BE EXECUTED. So when you press STEP, you are EXECUTING THAT LINE.

4.) Some commands take a moment to complete and pressing STEP again has no effect until they are done (WAIT and <Dialog> for example)

5.) The IF condition codes are shown in the cookie window, even though they are not actually cookies... And they are shown AFTER the line is executed.

So, given the script line

"IF -C1+V3, @label"

You must first step through the line and THEN the cookie window will be accurate with:

"IF: C1" = TRUE <-- tells you truth value of condition
"IF: V3" = FALSE

6.) Whenever a cookie/condition is used for the first time (since opening stepper), its value is placed at the top of the cookie window. If the cookie/condition is used again later, I just update the value of the existing line.

7.) If you RIGHT-CLICK in the @label column you can set/clear a "breakpoint" (red circle) on a line of the script. Then if you un-pause the script it will automatically pause when it gets to that line.

This is useful for stepping quickly to the bit of code you really need to test.

Breakpoints must be set each time you open the stepper window, or restart the scene. (I mean I don't remember them between invocations)

=============================
WHAT'S THE FUTURE OF STEPPER?

Well, first it's a cheat since it can allow a certain amount of lag-killing in the hands of a snert. In fact, I think I will only allow it in SOLO mode. Hope you'll forgive me.

But thoughts idling in my head are:

1.) double-click on a line to force execution to jump to that line.

2.) obviously it would be cool to be able to edit the script at the same time, but that probably will never happen (keep quest editor open and do the save/reload/scene N tango.) Stepper will automatically understand whenever you start a new scene and start stepping the new scene. I mean, you don't have to close stepper until you really want to.

3.) Maybe let you modify the content of a cookie. Or not. Whatever.

--------
And I think I just spent more time typing this than creating the feature. It was a very economical feature to add. But only because I am such a cool guy!

[This message has been edited by samsyn (edited 07-21-2001).]

Posts: 10561 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
Fred Spade
Verbose Member
Member # 759

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Fred Spade   Author's Homepage   Email Fred Spade   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But in a56 it just DIN'T work right!

[note, Fred was joking in a response to a joke of mine, but I deleted my joke so Fred's joke no longer looks like a joke, which is why I am smiling -s]

/a is doing absolutely nothing but trying to get his world uploaded to freehomepages.com who dun want or linked angelfire.com who dun give..

[This message has been edited by samsyn (edited 07-21-2001).]

Posts: 1559 | From: Hồ Chí Minh / Sài Gòn | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pardon my self-congraultations, but this rocks!
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, you can set a breakpoint on ANY line, not just lines with @labels.

I mention that because you have to right-click in the LABEL column, which is not entirely self-evident when that column appears empty.

Ebag333
Verbose Member
Member # 238

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Ebag333   Email Ebag333   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go Dan, go go go go!
Posts: 1348 | From: Central Point, OR, USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jacius
Veteran Member
Member # 265

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacius   Email Jacius   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! This is the coolest thing since /props, the Item/Monster/SPell Editor!

I'll never edit in the text window again!

Actually, I will... hrmmm... but.. uh.. it will be more fun to test it out!

Very cool, Dan! I wonder what you'll think up next!

-Jacius

Posts: 508 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Merlin
Compulsive Member
Member # 181

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Merlin   Author's Homepage   Email Merlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know what that means?
I won't have to bug you constantly!

Wahoo! ;-)
-Merlin

Posts: 2797 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mosquito
Verbose Member
Member # 814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosquito   Author's Homepage   Email Mosquito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The WoS world creator is going Visual Studio style.
Posts: 1443 | From: Penn State | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Merlin
Compulsive Member
Member # 181

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Merlin   Author's Homepage   Email Merlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ummmm
I type /stepper and yet it does not work?

Hmmph... I want my stepper!

-Merlin

sndrsn
Healthy Member
Member # 1104

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for sndrsn   Email sndrsn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SORRY I TRIPLE CLICKED
/A IS VERY EMBARRASSED

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
"/stepper" is:

- A58 or later
- A cheat
- You must be incarnated
- You can't be 'online' (solo only)
- don't add a space after it unless you also add a valid scene number: "/stepper 45"

And, in general, you either want to start the scene with stepper, ("/stepper 45") or start the scene after starting stepper.

A58 had a bug that "/stepper" while a scene was in the middle of a WAIT or ASK command would not show the current scene script (again, starting the scene after opening stepper would be the solution there). In any case, pretty sure I fixed that in 59.

-----

so, do you get NO RESPONSE, or just not the response you needed?

The solo mode only bit is because it is just too hard to prevent people from abusing stepper in an online situation. I know it would be very useful to the world developer to step online. Unfortunately, it would be too useful for the snert.

Merlin
Compulsive Member
Member # 181

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Merlin   Author's Homepage   Email Merlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No responce whatsoever... I type it and nothing.
At all.
Just sits there as if I had typed in /thisisnotacommand.

-Merlin

sndrsn
Healthy Member
Member # 1104

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for sndrsn   Email sndrsn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry I didn't realise a59 had come out wow that stepper it is so amazing.

Daine
Member # 938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daine   Email Daine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Merlin, I've found that it works if you leave "Modify the world" and actually play the world - i.e. incarnate a character, then use it.
Posts: 93 | From: NY | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
quote:

- You must be incarnated

Yes, must be playing game, not in link edit mode.

(otherwise you might do something silly like execute a GOTO LINK command while in link edit mode and "cross the streams")

[This message has been edited by samsyn (edited 07-29-2001).]

Merlin
Compulsive Member
Member # 181

Member Rated:
Pfff, details details :-P

-Merlin

Merlin
Compulsive Member
Member # 181

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Merlin   Author's Homepage   Email Merlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, that worked great. Figured out the problem allmost immediatly-- I had ended the script before I should of, forgetting a GOTO @ (My fight scene).

Cool program :-)

-Merlin

Cactrot
Verbose Member
Member # 409

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactrot   Author's Homepage   Email Cactrot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, Ghostbusters.
Posts: 1043 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
shaven_weasel
Member # 990

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shaven_weasel   Email shaven_weasel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nice try on the allusion dan. but, if you've paid attention in the movie, the actual line is "cross the streams".
(streams, not beams)

and also, good job on the stepper. i've yet to make a world, but if i do, i'll most likely use it.

Posts: 61 | From: Fort Walton Beach, FL USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
huh? what are you talking about? I wouldn't make a mistake like that!

[a search on google shows that I am apparently the only person in the universe to ever transmogrify stream to beam in that context. I guess that's something...]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.