Synthetic Reality Forums   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Our Archives » WoS World Developer Tips » ARE YOU GOING TO HATE ME?

Author Topic: ARE YOU GOING TO HATE ME?
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Argument 3 of the items table is just plain too goofy. This is the index number which picks which frame of the image file to use for that item.

I want to change it just a teensy bit, so that instead of saying

"+3" to mean frame 3 of helmets_1.bmp

I would like to say:

"3.1" to mean frame 3 of helmets_1.bmp

----

Maybe this doesn't have to be a crisis. Maybe I can be forward compatible... yes... yes... that's the thing to do....

ok, you don't have to hate me after all...

maybe.

Posts: 10567 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
Lady Griffon
Verbose Member
Member # 189

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Lady Griffon   Author's Homepage   Email Lady Griffon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LoL

(Find/Replace works wonders )

LGH

Posts: 1463 | From: Myzan | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Merlin
Compulsive Member
Member # 181

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Merlin   Author's Homepage   Email Merlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol... I had been using the frame limits in one file as an excuse not to create more weapons etc. :-)

Don't let the word out you can create more!
Its a seeeccrreeett!

-Merlin

Posts: 2797 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, the prop editor will show a new field.. something almost as cryptic as before.

And the documentation in the ITEMS.txt file will only mention the 'new way'

But the game will still understand the 'old way' which I hope means old worlds will work without any update required.

WHAT IS HE TALKING ABOUT:

Given that a piece of equipment's class (armor, sword, staff, potion, etc) determines the name of the image file which must be used for all items of that class...

for example.. all "helmets" must be in "Helmets.bmp"

And arg3 of the item table specifies which image in that film strip is actually used. So arg3 = "0" means use the far left frame of the filmstrip in "helmets.bmp"

But, to make life easier for Joe Developer, I added the ability to have a second filmstrip, called "helmets_1.bmp"

To use that instead, you used to add a "+" in front of the index, as in :

arg3 = "+0" means use the far left image in filmstrip "helmets_1.bmp"

But now, the NEW way of doing that is:

arg3 = "0.1"

So the number after the dot is the extension number. Currently you are still limited to a single extension (there is no "Helmets_2.bmp" for example)

But at least now it would be easy to add such a thing, should the need arise. And it will look almost like I planned it from the beginning...

Jacius
Veteran Member
Member # 265

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacius   Email Jacius   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, samsyn.

I assume that 3.2 would select row 3 of file 2?

Or something like that...

Anyway, I dont hate you, because I havent gotten far enough buried in the items that this is a big deal :-)
But it is a good type of big deal, because it's almost less confusing...

maybe it would make more sense to
do it the other way..

3.2 would be the second row of the third file... like a little hierarchy thing...

Anyway, cool cool

-Jacius

Posts: 508 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should clarify something...

If you leave your world alone, and it uses the 'old way' (leading plus signs), it will work fine.

But if you use the new property editor on your world, the plus signs will not automatically get turned into an extension number. If you don't pay attention, and you edit some other element of that item, you might find yourself erasing the plus sign and NOT adding an extension number.

So you *should* scan through your items and update all those plus sign items to extension_1 items.

--------

In general, the property editor is making lots of changes even when you don't realize it, so I should also point out that casually browsing with the prop editor might make changes. So when you close it, and it says "Save Changes?" even when you feel you didn't MAKE any changes, well... it thinks you did, even if it was just its normalizing the TABs for you.

It seems to only be making GOOD changes, by the way. I almost trust it enough to use it on a real world now :-)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.