Synthetic Reality Forums   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Our Archives » WoS World Developer Tips » A57 has token-locked links

Author Topic: A57 has token-locked links
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
* NEW WORLD OPTION: Token-Locked Links. Hold on to your hat, the axis of the earth must have shifted! The link editor has a new option (I am documenting a bit in an advance here) so you can assign a token number to any link (0 means no token required, and is the default). Without that token, a character (or more accurately, the leader of the party) will not drop into the link. You CAN drag your friends through the link by leading the party. The link still shows up on the map, by the way (though I might change that, since you get absolutely no explanation as to why you can't drop through it without the token... Yeah... I think I'll make the link name and 'white box' invisible if you don't have the token. But the link itself will be visible... or will it? Oh decisions, decisions... and I don't want to provide all 16 option combinations.)
Posts: 10561 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, and now an old quest makes a teensy bit more sense (you are unaware of the library link until after you have been given its location :-)
Merlin
Compulsive Member
Member # 181

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Merlin   Author's Homepage   Email Merlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... *prepares to remain old-school*

-Merlin

Posts: 2797 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Fred Spade
Verbose Member
Member # 759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fred Spade   Author's Homepage   Email Fred Spade   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But the link itself will be visible... or will it? Oh decisions, decisions...

Well, in the real world you still see the
house even though you may not be able to get in, whereas you wouldn't see a submerged city under the sea.

Posts: 1558 | From: Hồ Chí Minh / Sài Gòn | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wellllll.... when I don't want to add an option... I always consider adding a hack instead....

In this case..... I could..... if the link-token is POSITIVE, the link itself would show (but name and white-box suppressed)

but if the link-token were NEGATIVE... I would ALSO suppress the image itself (except in the editor, I hasten to point out)

----

But I know what people would find really cool, is if they could change the link image itself during the course of the quest:

* just ocean
* city towers above water
* city as island
* city as floating city
* floating city link drifting over landscape
* floating city link under attack by star ships
* Live video feed from mayor of city begging for help
* Interactive AI dialog as you refuse to help, launching the final space torpedo yourself!
* massive explosions as city bursts into flaming debris which falls to the map, leaving permanent craters and killig any hapless players below
* a lingering radioactive field sickening all life in that area on all copies of WoS everywhere.

um....

maybe later...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.