Synthetic Reality Forums   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Our Archives » WoS World Developer Tips » A55 WORLD VERSIONING WARNING REMINDER THINGY

Author Topic: A55 WORLD VERSIONING WARNING REMINDER THINGY
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PLEASE READ THIS AGAIN:

I'm not pushing A55 yet, but when I *do* push it, you will first off notice that every world but evergreen appears to be modded, and every character you have will trigger the "you will be marked a modder if you continue" warning.

TRY NOT TO PANIC.

The other worlds will start working again soon after the release of A55 (I hope... I sitll need to contact the designers of the affected worlds.. plus I have to check which worlds will actually be affected. I say "all" but that isn't really true, I imagine.)

TRY NOT TO PANIC.. BUT DON'T OK THE MODDER WARNING.

If it warns you, then BACK OUT. If you get marked, you get marked and the world getting fixed won't fix you.

PLEASE TELL YOUR FRIENDS

But please tell them the truth. I know this will be easily magnified into a terrific rumour.

The truth is:

1.) Most, if not all, worlds other than Evergreen will *appear to be* mods, even though they are not mods.

2.) You will NOT get marked a modder unless you ignore the warning.

3.) The problems with the other worlds WILL be resolved asap.

=======
World Designers: There is nothing you can do about this until after A55 ships. If you were somehow able to fix your world before A55 shipped, then everyone with A54 would have the same problem. So there will be a bit of time during which people won't be able to play your world. By working together (music swells), we can make that as brief as possible.

======================
On A55 day, I hope to:

1.) Do a 'forced upgrade' of all users to A55 (people abusing the system to keep an older version will get what they deserve)

2.) Post a reminder for developers as to how to fix your world (just "/version" it again once you have A55, and then re-upload your zip and info files.). ONLY WORLD DESIGNERS SHOULD USE THE "/version" command. (And only on their own worlds). If you do it yourself, you'll get a cheap thrill for a moment, but thereafter be screwed royally. So don't.

=============

As you know, I try hard to make each version compatible with the previous one, so I apologize that I wasn't able to do this on this particular boundary. There is the distinct possibility of a major mess-up, in which case:

1.) Aza will get his wish
2.) I'll be glad I kept calling the versions "alpha" whatever

But I don't think we'll have the major mess-up, just probably some minor ones. The *real* mess-up will come from the XP sharing code changes! But people are *already* freaking out over rumours about that one...

Posts: 10641 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PLEASE READ ORIGINAL POST AGAIN.

* I think I will push A55 this coming Monday (just after the weekend busy period), so people will start screaming on Monday about "Aerianell says I am a modder!"

Speaking of which, I don't know that I know who the official owner of Aerianell is right now... (on the other hand, maybe it isn't 'versioned' anyway... I should check that right now...)

Yes, I will check all the officially available worlds (EverSpace is on it's own :-) and get back to you... here... if you actually exist.

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OKAY!

It turns out that of all PUBLISHED worlds, ONLY INNSMOUTH will need to release a newly versioned version after A55 is pushed.

I believe EVERSPACE might need to be reversioned, but I dunno. If you type /version and get a black message box with "there doesn't seem to be a version file, should I make one?" then it's not versioned in the sense that I mean, and you can go back to sleep.

Also, I may not have the newest Aerianell, although I *do* have the newest 'published' version....

So, anyway, I should have checked this before ... before I tried to panic everyone in any case.

Merlin
Compulsive Member
Member # 181

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Merlin   Author's Homepage   Email Merlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of *course* I have to reversion.
As if I wouldnt have hacked the entire version file up into little pieces and spit it back out with a previous release....

-Merlin

Posts: 2797 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.