Synthetic Reality Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Our Archives » The Crypt of the Ages » A90 RELEASE NOTES

Author Topic: A90 RELEASE NOTES
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are the release notes for Well of Souls Version A90

---------------
CHANGES FOR THIS RELEASE

* COMPATIBILITY: Excellent!

* BUGFIX - Bug in CALL command

* BUGFIX - Crash when giving GP

* NEW FLOATING POINT MATH FUNCTIONS

These work just like their integer counterparts, but do not truncate the result to an integer

(and also do not limit you to a max value of 2 billion. HOwever, you should understand the trade-off between precision and accuracy. Just because you can now claim to have a trillion gold pieces, you could not add or subtract a single gold piece to that value. Internally I am using 'doubles' but there might be some digit truncation when saving to cookies. I think I can guarantee you at least ten significant digits.)

F_ADD
F_SUB
F_MUL
F_DIV
F_MOD

* NEW RULE COOKIES

You can now see what the current server's rules are set to:

#<num.ruleMaxPlayers>
#<num.ruleMaxAFK>
#<num.ruleMinVersion>
#<num.ruleLadder>
#<num.ruleNoCheat>
#<num.ruleNoMod>
#<num.ruleNoMigrate>
#<num.ruleNoPK>
#<num.ruleAllPK>
#<num.ruleNoBleep>
#<num.ruleNoEavesdrop>
#<num.ruleNoPets>
#<num.ruleArenaPK>

Note these are all read-only (like most stock cookies). and minVersion uses that same decimal version number as num.wosVersion (described below)

* PARTY LEADER CAN MANUALLY BOOT MEMBERS

I feel a little bad about this one, since I originally omitted it intentionally, wanting the game to encourage partying and avoid being exclusive.

But people DO grief you by joining your party without permission, go afk, etc. So every other game has a BOOT command, so now WoS does too.

* EVEN MORE TROPHY FLEXIBILITY

Each trophy can be assigned to up to 10 RANGES of monster IDs. For example, an argument like this:

1.2.3-6.15.18.20-100

means the trophy can be dropped by:

Monster 1
Monster 2
Monsters 3 through 6
Monster 15
Monster 18
Monsters 20-100

PLEASE tell me that is ENOUGH already! [Smile]

* WORLDS CAN PROVIDE THEIR OWN FONTS

I didn't really TEST this, so who knows if it actually works or not. But it didn't break evergreen, so I am happy.

Basically, if you add a .ttf (TrueType Font) file to your World's root folder (the same folder that has quest.txt in it), then I will try to tell windows that it exists, at least for the duration of time that WoS is running.

This SHOULD make it available to your Scrolling World Story and/or html pages. Maybe. Good luck!

* TERRAIN CAN BE CROSSED BY TOKEN, AS WELL AS BOOT

The TERRAINS table now has an *optional* arg3 which lets you specify a tokenID which allows crossing that terrain (without requiring boots). This was a great suggestion, Hesacon. (learn to 'swim,' get token, be able to cross water.)

* WORLD DOWNLOAD LIST CAN NOW BE SORTED

By clicking on a column header. This one's for you, World's End!

* NEW COOKIE -- Gives WoS Version

#<num.wosVersion>

You will probably need to experiment a little to understand the value. When you see 'A90' it is actually a hexadecimal number. This cookie will give you the decimal version of that number.

A90 = 2704, for example. (But A89 is *NOT* 2703)

* MONSTER LEAVE SCENE AFTER KILLING YOU

As opposed to just standing out of view, ready to attack you again as soon as you reincarnate.

There is a chance some worlds depended on the old behaviour (but I only ever heard complaints about the behaviour, so I hope it was OK to fix it.)

* DE-LEVELLING FROM 100 to 99 NO LONGER CRASHES

I didn't actually TEST this, of course, but in theory if you are wearing level 100 equipment you you de-level to 99, you will just end up with that equipment removed.

* NEW SPELL PATHS

code:
;DD	'cloud' shape of magic accumulation
;00 - tight random cloud
;01 - looser random cloud
;02 - loose random cloud
;03 - single circle
;04 - two circles
;05 - single circle - vertical
;06 - two circles - vertical
;07 - Big round circle
;08 - Halo
;09 - Vertical Halo
;10 - Horizontal Line
;11 - Vertical Line
;12 - Slow Large Dome
;13 - Fast LArge Dome
;14 - Slow Small Dome
;15 - Fast Small Dome

And those same options should work for the 'attack' cloud shape (cloud over target)

* COOKIE PROTECTION

Please do not believe that cookies are 100% secure now. And if a cookie is violated (in the opinion of the code, which could easily be wrong) the only punishment is that I count how many times it happens, and let the world dev read that count with a new cookie:

#<num.hostCookieFaults>

Take that with a grain of salt. Cookie protection defaults to being turned OFF, but world developers can enable via their config.ini file with this setting:

cookieProtection = 1

There are three possible values:

0 - no protection at all (the default)
1 - only cookies whose name starts with 'secure' are protected
2 - all developer-created cookies are secure.

It should be reasonably safe to turn cookie protection ON, but once on, you should (your world should) never turn it off (or reduce its level). To do so will probably end up getting all existing characters 'marked')

Anyway, this is, I hope, a gentle introduction to cookie security which, while probably not being very secure, should not actually screw anybody up.

* MONSTER FIRST HIT NOT ALWAYS HUGE

It is a little known fact that monsters in a scene 'rest' when they are not hitting you, and the more rested they are, the harder they hit you (all else being equal). As of A90 they no longer appear in scene fully rested. They start with a random restedness. This means the first hit by each monster in the scene will no longer always be their max hit.

--------------------
He knows when you are sleeping.

Posts: 10631 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged

Open Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.