Synthetic Reality Forums   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Our Archives » The Crypt of the Ages » A48 Has Ladder Support

Author Topic: A48 Has Ladder Support
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's probably a bit of an exaggeration since I only support a single ladder and the score data is not done, BUT:

1.) New WEB menu option:

WoS Ladders

Takes you to the wos ladder overview page, which currently has exactly one ladder.

2.) Evergreen PK Arena now is a ladder map.

Individual maps can be tagged as 'ladder' maps via the map flags (world designer option - map flag '16')

3.) MIX 1.09 server supports the "ladder" rule.

This lets you indicate whether or not gameplay on your server should be reported or not. If you say "ladder=1" then scores on ladder maps will be reported to ladder #1 (which might not make any sense unless you also force your server to be Evergreen). You can only report scores to 'official' ladders (and '1' is the only ladder at the moment).

4.) PK kills, deaths, and 'karma scores' which occur while on the ladder map, and while connected to a ladder-enabled server, get reported to the ladder web server (which displays the results)

Scores are reported "periodically" so if you want to make sure your score has been reported, return to the well or something like that.

----

Don't bother getting all excited about finding ways to abuse the system - there is no security at all, so it is trivial to cheat. At this point, I don't see much reward in it for me to worry about that. I imagine the simplest cheat is just to arrange with a pal to be your punching buddy and let you kill him over and over again.

----

If you are wearing a guild uniform at the time, your score goes both to you AND your guild. (though there is no way to determine how much of each guild's score is due to each member, you can more or less figure it out if you really care.)

For example:

I wear WOS uniform and get 2 kills
I switch to TH uniform and get 3 kills

Now MY score is 5 kills, WOS has 2, and TH has 3.

====

And, of course, only fighting done with A48 or later is reported...

I mention that because I saw someone online today upset that the guild entry showed him with zero PKs (since all his many PKs had occurred before he upgraded to A47)

Sorry to not be able to magically pull numbers out of the ether...

Posts: 10610 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
Ais
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Yee haw..... ladders... yeah.... whooo..... couldn't have done this without you... yeah score one for the home team....

Ladders? hehe. I fell off of one once. Kinda painful. All these shards of glass were below me. Luckily, they didn't scar

IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ladder system SCORE is now based on chess federation rating/ranking algorithm
Shadow
Verbose Member
Member # 543

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a cool idea. I like it. No comment.
Posts: 1406 | From: Somewhere in the USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Laoch Paladin
Obsessive Member
Member # 232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laoch Paladin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are karma scores, in this context, the same as the chess scores? The way you talk about it here, it seems like it. Since karma shouldn't (in my opinion) be limited to ladder matches.

OH!OH!! And one thing thats really been ticking me off... You know the guild web menu you added? Well... I can't go to web and make it "show browser" for ANY guild related webstuff. I hope this was just a late night oopsy, and not intentional... because... its so darn annoying!

Posts: 6096 | From: Minnesnowta | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dunno about your browser issues, LP, it "works for me"

I'm guessing you just had the luck of trying during one of the MANY times my web server has been down or wacky.

I got an email from my web host and they PROMISE they have PERMANENTLY FIXED my server.

24 hours with no downtime so far, so I guess I BELIEVE!

========

A Note about Karma and Honor:

Yes, the chess score rating thing has taken over some stuff which I was waving my hands in the direction of karma about. Bear in mind that the whole honor/karma thing will take forever and a day to figure out and could end up being so hopelessly complicated that everyone found it totally repellent.

So, following many people's suggestion to keep things simple (ouch, Josh, let go my arm!) here are TODAY'S SIMPLE THOUGHTS:

1.) The 'rating' has nothing to do with snertish-ness or levels or karma or honor or anything. It's just a rating which rewards fighting (and winning) against peers. It is a POSITIVE FEEDBACK MECHANISM, as opposed to an attempt to punish snertishness. Hopefully all the snerts will be very competitive about gaining status through rating and ladder ranks.

The rating system is easy to understand and will hopefully be a happy joy joy solution to one set of problems.

[and example of a BAD solution would be to have the ladder ranks based on total PKs, which would encourage newbie hunting, where the chess rating discourages newbie hunting]

2.) HONOR is still supposed to detect snertishness and to reward the lack thereof by allowing higher than normal levels. (note how I phrase that? It's not that I am PUNISHING snertishness with low levels, I am REWARDING nonsnertishness Spin, man, it's all about spin!)

3.) KARMA is sort of in limbo, having had its thunder stolen by the chess rating. Karma was not supposed to be honor. As it is, Karma will probably end up being the visible name of honor (I never liked the word 'honor')

So, chess ratings is a DONE DEAL, but honor/karma is still mostly vaporware.

As to the bad language issue, I think the extremely simple "noBleep = 1" server rule will actually be the simple and elegant solution.

==========

SO, to recap:

SIMPLE: Chess ratings, lead to diminishment of newbie hunting

SIMPLE: Server NoBleep Rule, leads to diminishment of swearing on servers that don't approve.

COMPLEX: Honor/Karma drive some wacky meter, control some wacky bounty, affect your max level.

I'll keep pulling bits out of the complicated pile and move them into simple piles as best I can, and thank you all for your encouragement.

Peter
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you've chosen a good "quick win" with the chess-type ranking, Dan.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

IP: Logged
Laoch Paladin
Obsessive Member
Member # 232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laoch Paladin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay... confusion detected.
Here we go though... the problem is with the integrated browser MENUS, not the web page I'm viewing.
This is with a fresh start, no previous web activity on WOS.
I go to the "guilds" menu, and pick "visit guild hall." The web browser shows up and loads the page. Then I decide I want to do something in the game and hit "hide browser." A minute or two later, I want to go back to my guild page viewing... so logically, I go to "web" and try to hit "show browser." Which DOESN'T WORK!! Its ghosted.

Looks to me like you forgot to turn on a variable somewhere, since the problem is with the game menus and not MY internet connection.

Hopefully, I made sense this time.

Josh
Healthy Member
Member # 57

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Josh   Email Josh       Edit/Delete Post 
I've experienced this too. If you click "Hide Browser" under the file pull down, and not the button, the "Show Browser" option is available from the file pull down when you want to resume browsing. If you click the "Hide Browser" button, however, the "Show Browser" option on the pull down is almost always ghosted.

*twists Dan's arm off*

[This message has been edited by Josh (edited 11-14-2000).]

Posts: 449 | From: NJ | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
OK, all fixed. Thanks for noticing. And your estimation of the source of the problem was correct. The code is just that much cooler as a result of this repair.

*Looks at Josh... Looks at arm lying on ground... looks back at Josh...*

----

...later... The phrase "all fixed" requires a disclaimer. The code is now "all different" and "tested exactly one time in one place,"

Hence, whether or not the description "all fixed" is accurate, remains to be seen.

"Truth In Debugging" - Uncle Dan

[This message has been edited by samsyn (edited 11-14-2000).]

F'Nok
Obsessive Member
Member # 201

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F'Nok   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to point out that one of my insane ramblings actually reported that bug awhile back...
Posts: 5323 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ebag333
Verbose Member
Member # 238

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Ebag333   Email Ebag333   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but who listens to you?
Posts: 1348 | From: Central Point, OR, USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Laoch Paladin
Obsessive Member
Member # 232

Member Rated:
Apparently no one, since it STILL HASN'T BEEN FIXED!
::grabs Dan's arm:: YOINK!

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
it's fixed in my thread of the time-space continuum, but mine is usually a month ahead of yours :-)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.