Synthetic Reality Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Our Archives » The Crypt of the Ages » A41 RELEASE NOTES

Author Topic: A41 RELEASE NOTES
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am releasing this version right away since the modal dialog box bug is too distracting. But this should also be a pretty important lag reduction version, so I advise you to upgrade at your earliest convenience (we don't get the full benefit of the lag reduction until everyone upgrades)

================================
Well of Souls Version A41
Our Motto: "Oh say can you c"
Estimated Release: As soon as needed
--------------------------------

* COMPATIBILITY: Excellent! Though world designers who rushed right out and implemented the A40 map flags will need to re-read the flag definitions. Flag 1 is a bit different, though fundamentally the same.

* BUGFIX: It was possible for a party follower to see inaccurate level and class info for the party leader just after the end of a fight. I'm sure this can still happen, but now there is one less way.

* BUGFIX: Monsters will no longer cast an ineffective disease on you (resulting in 0 hit points) when out of MP. It was actually a mis-checked return value which might even have led to a crash in some cases, so thanks to lurch and xxElderxxx for their persistence in working this out.

* BUGFIX: Pet levelups now get the same maxMP as regular monsters get. (which means pets now get a bunch more.)

* FIDDLED WITH TIMING AGAIN. (Sigh) I had to put one windows timer back in, so that things wouldn't come to a halt when you opened a modal dialog like the Book of Colors or the Learn Spell dialog. So now it will probably crash on the level up Ability Dialog again for some users. I also played with the idle loop handling so that when WoS is not the most important window on the desktop, it gives some CPU power back to other apps which want it.

* SERVER LOAD ENHANCEMENT. I found a way to cut down a flurry of packets sent when someone new entered the server. Silly me, I should have done this ages ago. This is probably the primary source of lag on my server today. Should be a good improvement. It motivates me to push an A41 fairly soon. (i'll try to wait a few more days though for any amazing bugs to be discovered...]

* FIGHT PARTICIPANTS NOW FIGHT FOR THEIR TEAM. (and 'ALL' spells are team-based). The team is the serial number of the leader of the party. (so everyone in a party, and their pets, are playing for the leader's team). If not in a party you play for your own team (your serial number) and your pet plays for your team. Monsters play for the monster team.

If you cast an 'ALL' spell on someone, it applies to everyone on their team. (for example, everyone in your party and all their pets get HEAL ALL applied to them if you direct it to any one of them or yourself.) Where this will seem weird to you is in a scene with 3 players who are NOT in a party (therefore they represent 3 unique teams) casting an ALL spell on one will only affect that one (and their pet, if any).

So, in PK Arena, for example, each guild could form a party and then enter a common scene. casting an 'all' spell against one guild member would target the whole guild, and their pets. You could have a 3way battle, 5way, whatever.

Someday in the future I will let you specify a party is to be reserved for a single guild, or perhaps a list of guilds.

This affects a LARGE number of combinations of fight configurations. Ben helped me test most of them, but I imagine some will have slipped through the cracks. Still, the code is quite clean now, so mission accomplished from that perspective.

* NEW DESIGNER COMMAND "/class N". World designers might find this a convenient way to check their character classes. It lists the most important aspects of the specified class, including the per-level maxHP and maxMP which are tedious to compute manually.

* CHARM DONE RIGHT (I HOPE). In a rare fit of non-laziness, I made it so charm works as you might expect. The monster remembers the last person to charm it, and fights for that player's team. (come to think of it, I don't know if that makes it a recipient of a team HEAL ALL or not...)

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.