Synthetic Reality Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Our Archives » The Crypt of the Ages » A35 DEVELOPMENT NOTES (moderated Topic)

Author Topic: A35 DEVELOPMENT NOTES (moderated Topic)
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are the development notes for version A35 (in development now!) Please add your ideas (and bug reports from A34) here.
================================
Patch A35
Our Motto: "The Pokegatchi Release - You are not alone"
Estimated Release: 4/22 (my birthday!)
--------------------------------

* COMPATIBILITY: Excellent :-) Although your existing pets will disappear.

* NOTE ABOUT A34 - I released A34 a bit prematurely in an experiment to get info about the new installer. To get patch A35 you will HAVE to have gotten the A34 full base version, but you might want to wait for other people to put in their opinion on the quality of the installer.

Please see the topic "A34 pre-release" if you don't understand how to get that version.

* BUGFIX: Stock market dialog remembers the last page selected.

* BUGFIX: Various pet invocation errors.

* BUGFIX: Selling more shares than you own doesn't leave your portfolio all weird any more. Also, the total ROI calculation is a bit better (though since I don't keep complete records of all transactions, this is not entirely informative)

* PETS PAY NO PP, XP, or GP. Since they are just sitting there, letting you bash them without fighting back, it isn't fair to pay you for it, so I don't. This also goes for a charmed monster in general. If it is still charmed at the moment of death, it pays no reward. If a pet goes wild, then it isn't a pet any more and killing it will pay off.

* BLACKJACK TABLE HAS A LIMIT. Well, I wanted it to be unlimited, but there are some practical reasons to limit it a little. I chose 100K per bet as the limit, so you should still be able to play the "double your bet when you lose" trick and come out ahead, most of the time.

* "ALL" Spells affect pets as if they were humans, not monsters. There are probably many more such things to be fixed as the notion of a team is brand new.. (and will need to be fixed again probably, though I am trying to lay the ground work for generic teams.. For example, an "all" spell that hits everyone in the same guild as the targeted player - but that will come much later)

* PET SKINS RELOAD WHEN CHANGING CHARACTERS. So when you switch between characters, the pet skins don't get 'stuck' on the previous set.

* YOU CAN NO LONGER SUMMON PETS FROM THE GRAVE. Heh, thanks for noticing. Dead players cannot summon pets. But if your pet already in battle lives, it can fight on for your honor.

* You can ONLY tame creatures BELOW your level, and the closer they are TO your level, the less likely you are to succeed. (sorry, I don't think you can have BWs any more).. And if your pets level up above you, watch out (well, in theory).. current math is you will be 100% successful catching pets which are 30 levels below you (or more) and 0% in catching pets at your level, with a linear distribution between (3% for one level below you...) And, of course, you have to catch them before the charm wears off.

* FIGHT SCENE DOESN'T END TILL ALL MONSTERS DEAD. Which is to say, a CHARMED monster is still a threat, but a PET is not.

* YOU CANNOT TAME A CHEATED MONSTER. If the monster arrived via the /fight command, you cannot tame it. Sorry. Not even if you are a cheat character. Makes it too messy to keep fair.

* YOU CAN NOW RELEASE PET BACK TO WILD. It disappears from your pen and appears in the scene with you, and it is always mad at you.

* ENOUGH BUGS ARE PRESENT IN A34 TO JUSTIFY AN IMMEDIATE A35. So, I will be pushing A35 tonight and A36 becomes the official pokegatchi release.

==============

REMEMBER: I will edit and delete your entries as I update the development notes...

[This message has been edited by samsyn (edited 04-09-2000).]

GJ
Veteran Member
Member # 241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here we go now =)

OK, so I'm playing Big 'Ol Space Rocks and I came up with some thoughts.

1. Make a universal brake key. For example, if I'm going straight left, to brake I have to go straight right against my momentum; or just press the down key, but what if I accidentially change my alignment? So make the down arrow key slow you down regardless of what direction you're facing.

2. Make a high scores table.

3. Heck, make a server high scores table; server hosts do not necessarily have to host this file. But they can if they want to.

4. Add a small travelers guide so players can find out where certain minigames are.

All for now,
GJ

GJ
Veteran Member
Member # 241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come to think of it, you could try this too:

Add two instruments and make a little panel. These are the compass and velocimeter.

The compass has two lines on it. One is green; it shows your current ship direction. The other is red; it shows the direction that your momentum from previous acceleration is carrying you. When the green line and red line match, hit Down to brake.

The velocimeter, of course, shows how fast you are going, and how much relative force it will take to bring you to a stop.

[This message has been edited by GJ (edited 04-08-2000).]

Lurch
Healthy Member
Member # 187

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lurch   Email Lurch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, bugs are to be expected, so here are the ones I found so far... and yes I realize it's a prerelease, but it's still fun to list bugs. hehe

1. Fire posted this in the a34 prerelease thread, if you leave the stock market with the portfolio tab active, when you go back, it will still be on portfolio, but will show the graphs instead. [Fixed, sort of]
  2. Someone makes a camp, and another joins. Player 2 summons a pet which they both can see. Host summons his/her pet, which only the host can see. Sometimes it works in reverse. [fixed]
  3. Host creats camp and summons pet. Player2 joins camp, but can't see pet. Player2 summons a pet, but can't see it, instead he/she can see Host's pet. [fixed, no one else could launch pet while host had one]
  4. Pet gets harmed when casting an all spell on other monsters.[fixed]
  5. Pet as well as monsters get healed from an all spell.[fixed]
  6. Pet as well as monsters get harmed with an all spell.[fixed]
  7. I called my pet outside of a scene, and Captain Jim saw it when he logged on the server in the Well.[fixed - turned out to be huge old bug having nothing to do with pets]
  8. If a party member (not the leader) calls a pet into the scene, everyone will see that pet in their scenes. This has been replicated a few times, and seems to be the leading cause of this phenomena.[same bug]
  9. I'd like a "pet retreat" button so I can call a different pet out before the current one dies. This is also good for camping scenes to show off different pets. hehe [not ye, but eventually]
  10. Pets get multiple death messages, somewhat like players used to get when multiple monsters attacked.[should see two. everone sees "slobber is dead" owner additionally sees "your slobber has died and returned to pen" Any more than that is bug]
  11. Pet skins often do not represent the tamed pet. It seems as if a cache file is beingused, which isn't being emptied, since pet skins from another soul are being used instead of the ACTUAL skins. Suggest to clear cache on every different soul incarnation.[you were correct, sir. fixed]

-NEW-

12. I see why BWs shouldn't be pets, although they're fun. I'm gonna miss Sparky and Spot (my pet BWs). I'd like to suggest having SOME probability of a level 99 character getting Warpaths and Trolls for pets, since a WP is 99 and a troll is 100. Maybe 1 level above your level is possible, but 2 levels is impossible? That would make the highest capturable monster a level 100.
  13. Have the Pokedex sortable by name and class, mostly for world designers, they can then see all monsters by element to fill gaps, etc.[it's negotiable, for now it becomes impossible when they match your level]
  14. The "Delete" button isn't selected anymore when you add soneone's page to the Diary. The cursor is in the stat box.[you think it was before?]
  15. I agree about a BOSR high scores list. Maybe show the top 20 scores, 10 on 2 pages. [I agree, just synching it is a hassle, part of 'integrated tourney support' project]

That's it for now, but it's FAR from over! Muuhahahahahahaaaa

- Lurch -

[This message has been edited by Lurch (edited 04-09-2000).]

GJ
Veteran Member
Member # 241

Member Rated:
Maybe it's me but I get the feeling that the Total Yield is not calculated right when it's positive. I invested in BEER and got down to -15%, but then as soon as my net gain became positive the yield jumped to 200% regardless of the gain.

[you were correct, fixed in 35]

GJ
Veteran Member
Member # 241

Member Rated:
Minor blackjack bug: If the dealer gets a blackjack off the draw the game displays "Hit or Stay" instead of "You lost".
[Not fixed yet]

Minor stock market bug: You can opt to sell more shares than you own. You won't get the excess money but it doesn't look all that great.
[fixed in A35, and thank you]

Minor BOSR bug: Can't hear sound effects after first one (for example, if I die once, I hear the explosion, but don't hear it again until the game is over and I start a new one)
[hmm, "works for me" any other opinions?]

GJ

[This message has been edited by GJ (edited 04-08-2000).]

cartesia
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, here's what i've found as bugs:

1) Pets that cast an all spell on monsters hurt themselves (mighta been posted before).
2) A pet dies, once all the monsters die the pet can come back out (maybe you wanted it that way)

[fixed in A35]

cartesia
unregistered

Two more things:

1)Does stock performance depond on how everyone in the game buys/sells?

[No]

2)There are no images for the different actions (probably not a bug, but very annoying)

["A34 is not a complete implementation of pokegatchi" - and neither is A35, as it turns out ]

cartesia
unregistered

More problems:
1) Setting a pet free or putting into battle from the training screen doesn't work
2) Feeding it doesn't seem to increase food level in stomach/colon
3) There should be an TNL for the pet
4) The pet should come in on the human side of the screen, right next to the player, instead of on the monster side

cartesia
unregistered

Wow, four posts in a row for me...yea!

1) Pet HP regens WAY too quickly, it shouldn't be completely recharged in the time it takes to get to a new battle

2) Although only one pet is allowed out at a time, if you let out the first pet, select a second and click (even though it's Xed out) the Call button both pets will get the exp. at the end of the battle

cartesia
unregistered

Ok, 5th post...and all very quickly, sorry all. I'm gonna quit playing for now so there won't be anymore, but this is important.

When you click to attack a monster (say with a staff) and that monster dies before you actually get to attack, the spell redirects to another monster in the scene, it is possible that one of the monsters that the spell gets redirected to is your pet.

'G Day All!

cartesia
unregistered

Ok, just one last little tid bit and then I stop, I PROMISE!!

When in a scene and then you let out a pet, then select a new pet and click the Xed out button to call him, even though he doesn't come out, if you go back to the Pet Pen you'll see he's become Xed out there and you can't interact with him...Dan you REALLY need to just entirely disable the call button when you let out your first pet (make it disapper) cuz it still does tons of wierd little stuff.

[fixed in A35, but as promised there are a zillion little end-cases]

Laoch Paladin
Obsessive Member
Member # 232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laoch Paladin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should I be able to call out pets when I'm dead? I prologned a fight by about 15 minutes by doing that before I ran out of critters.
I don't think level has any impact on whether or not *I'VE* been able to capture creatures.
It should be A LOT harder to catch them. I've been able to get monsters up to 30 levels higher than me in two tries. I think its got more to do with my dex/their agility than level at this point.
Feeding monsters has NO descernable effect. Also, when you feed a monster, the buttons disappear. While they're gone, I can move my mouse to where another button WOULD be. When the buttons come back and I click on the one the mouse is NOW over (without moving the mouse) it does the action of the last button I hit. Confused yet?
Creatures sleep WAAAY too much. They should NOT fall asleep while eating/doing other (not yet implimented) things.
If you bring out a creature while its sleeping, it should have that little asleep bubble by it, and you have to put it back into the pen.
I like the idea of disobedient creatures. "YOU DIDN'T FEED ME! I'M GONNA EAT YOU!!" or "YOU DIDN'T PLAY WITH ME!! I'M GONNA PLAY WITH YOUR LEFT ARM!!" or "Mmmm... yummmy pen-mate"
Thats all.... FOR NOW!! MWAHAHAHAHAA... etc.. etc..

cwestpha
unregistered

since you deleated my last little post i will place it here. make it so you can add to the program caption. that way you can use pay programs and get paid to play WoS. that would be fun and you can get paid to do it too.
*please dont just delete this post without a responce*

[please don't request immoral/illegal program changes Hows that for a response ]

[BTW, I deleted it before because I was certain its presence would create a huge flame war, which I wasn't looking forward to]

GuppyMan
Compulsive Member
Member # 44

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GuppyMan   Email GuppyMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think his response was no, since he deleted the post, so quit asking!

[This message has been edited by GuppyMan (edited 04-09-2000).]

GJ
Veteran Member
Member # 241

Member Rated:
A cool thing to have to expand on the stock market idea would be a little Palm-V-like device that lets you check your stocks, buy, sell, and so on from ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.

"Excuse me, Mr. Sand Worm, but I have to make a transaction. UDAN is up $5, and I want to se- hey! Don't try to bite off my arm! Hey! HEY!"

GJ

Killa
unregistered

Icon 3 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I know this is nitpicky, but kould there be a pet kall on the spells screen? Switching back and forth between menus is kinda annoying, plus it slows ya down. Oh and another idea. Make an option for pets to "auto-enter" scenes. Like so you don't have to kall them at all. (this would relieve my tension of the pet-on-spell-screen thing, since you don't have to kall your pet at all) Good or bad ideas?

~Killa

Tleilaxu
unregistered

I'm going to put this in bold so Dan will remember:
Put in a high score board for Big Ol' Space Rocks.

samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK,

I am going to do an "emergency Patch A35 release" for a couple reasons:

1.) the 'pets appearing at random' bug is just too irritating to put up with until I finish my pokegatchi work (now deferred to A36)

2.) It lets us test the new patch technology, to go with the new installer technology.

So, this topic is closed, A36 is OPEN, and I will be uploading patchA35 (and installer A35) asap.

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.