Synthetic Reality Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Well of Souls » World Developers Forum » How to get started with making a world

Author Topic: How to get started with making a world
IceFox/ Silver
Member # 2200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IceFox/ Silver   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This topic is for all the new world developers who would like to make a new world. I know there is a large demand for a topic like this from people who want to make a world but are clueless about what to do.

I'm hoping that other world developers will also share their knowledge here and post useful tips that can help new world developers to get started. [Smile]

The Idea
You probably start with having a nice idea for a world and maybe you even thought of a world name already.
Before you do anything you might want to open WoS' Help guide (You can press F1 in-game) and go to Creating new worlds: Overview and Tutorial
You'll find some useful starters info there but you probably want more resources before you get started.
A few other useful links are:
WoS Quest Language Dictionary
WoS Quest Guidelines
Gametweeka's World Developer Resource Center (For tools, programs, skins, maps, scenes etc.)

Creating a world
By now you probably read a lot of info (assuming you don't read this post completely first). [Razz]
And you are eager to get started.
I could probably tell you about how you should start writing out a storyline and such first, but you'll probably ignore those tips anyways because you want to see some action. (Been there before myself.) [Wink]
First thing you'll need to do now is finding a picture you can use as a map. It doesn't really matter what kind of picture you pick though, it could even be a picture of your pet. You can always change this later. Most people don't have a world map ready yet when they just get started.

Once you have a nice picture go to WoS in Solo Mode and click on ...or Create Your Own World.
Click on Create New World and follow the steps.

It's probably interesting to know that a WoS world is basicly just a bunch of files put together in a folder with a world name you thought of.
You can find all these files in C:\WoS\Worlds\<your world> for example C:\WoS\Worlds\Evergreen (Assuming you installed WoS on it's standard install path.)
Here you can add files, modify files, delete files etc.

Before you can get started with scripting you'll probably need a lot of information about certain subjects.
You can find this info in the WoS Quest Language Dictionary but I doubt you'll find everything you need in there.

General scripting: quest.txt
Spell scripting: spells.txt
Classes scripting: levels.txt
Item scripting: items.txt
Monster scripting: monsters.txt
World midi: music.ini
Stocks: stocks.ini
Making maps: quest.txt
Scene effects: quest.txt
Monster groups: groups.txt (this is hardly used anymore though)
Setting genders: gender.ini

You may have to copy several of those files from Evergreen to your world before you can read them. Whatever you do, DON'T modify Evergreen files, it will get you marked as a modder.

I hope that this is enough information right now about how to get started. You can always read Script + Mapping FAQ for more useful information.

Tips
A few last tips:
- Try to write a decent storyline a.s.a.p. Worlds like Evergreen are basicly worlds who are pulled together by a few quests related to 1 storyline, but most people will agree on it that it could have been worked out a lot better. (No offense intended to Samsyn!)

- Samsyn challenges you to do better:
quote:
Make your own world, BETTER than evergreen! Show us all what you can do! We're confident in your skills! Go Go Go! :-)
Try to reach at least a slightly higher level then Evergreen before publishing if you want to get your world popular. Else people will just try it once, deceide they don't like it and delete it from their Harddrive again. Off course you don't HAVE to publish your world, many people like creating their own little paradise. [Cool]

- When you start learning to script go easy on yourself. It's probably best if you first build a small test world, to get used with WoS and figuring out what does what. The best way to do this is by probably copying Evergreens Folder, renaming that copy and start modding every little inch of it. Don't mod anything in Evergreen itself though, it will get you marked as a modder in Evergreen else and you probably want to avoid that. You'll be surprised how much you can learn from modding a world. [Big Grin]

- Study quest.txt's information about how to script, everytime you think you understand a small piece of it try putting it into action a.s.a.p. It's the best and easiest way to memorize the script commands and to learn how to script. A nice thing to try is scripting your first heal scene. For the older scripters this sounds very easily, but if you can do this then you can handle the rest of WoS too. Try to expand your heal scene as much as possible for example by adding music, an actor, a shop, changing background pics, playing of some noises, letting the actor move around a little etc.
The only real limit is your imagination in WoS, well and some limits we all have to live with, like not being able to script in fights, but there are usually ways to work around that sort of thing. [Wink]

- Don't try to make a world in just 2 weeks while you still have to study everything, but take your time to study it all. Not even a very experienced world creater will be able to make a good world in less then a month. Well Gametweeka could be the only exception, knowing him he might be able to pull that off. [Razz] Usually a good world takes at least a few months, assuming you're not scripting 20/7.

- If you need more info about how to make a world to open WoS and click on the option Check On-line for New Worlds and download the world HowToMakeWorlds that's made by Gametweeka. It has a lot of useful information and tutorials inside it.

I hope more tips from other world developers will follow, try to keep it simple guys, we don't want to scare away new world developers with hard to understand examples while WoS can be easy to understand. [Cool]

Silver

[ 01-25-2004, 01:36 AM: Message edited by: IceFox/ Silver ]

--------------------
Silver
RoT's Homepage - ProxBeta

Posts: 7098 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
IceFox/ Silver
Member # 2200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IceFox/ Silver   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The next tutorial is made by Makarei, I asked him to send it over by mail because it's probably very useful when you make a WoS world. I know that I'll be using information from his post myself. [Cool]
I added a few side notes myself and fixed several typos.

Silver

Someone once said to me that all games are made from end to start. Why? Because it's easy to construct the end of the game then you just build your story back to the first step, before your end takes place. If you make your game from start to end, you will get stuck 80% of the time and you will wonder how you can finish you game with the end finale section of the game where the whole story makes sense to the gamer who is playing your game.

These are the steps I have done to make my world, for the WoS engine:

Note: don't waste your time thinking up a world/game name just yet, because you most likely spend days thinking of one. And once you have one and then make a story you will most likely try to change the name anyways or the story.. World/games names come from the story.. And have some educational meaning to the reader as to what your story is going to be about. Not the other way around...

1 - Write any ideas down on a piece of paper, away from the computer. Hard copies are the best because they won’t disappear unless you throw them out. Never throw out an idea even if it sounds stupid or silly. All ideas can be converted later into new ideas..

2 - Look at your idea list.. Try to build a feel for your world. Doesn't need to be in any order. For example a great plague, a war, meteor, castle blows up, snakes appear etc. From your ideas try to gather a general idea on what you think might be a good base to construct a story. Write all the main ideas down on some paper.

3 - Use those ideas you have decided to use in a story. And construct a basic timeline. Example (basic timeline) {on paper - not pc}:
277BA -Gold discovered
Some gold was found in a town over night.
276BA - First gold mine
The first gold mine was founded in the town.

4 - Once you have written your basic time line; Construct the last part of your story using ideas, timeline.. Etc. It doesn't have to be flash just something to give yourself a starting point, as to what is going to happen in your world. {on paper - not pc}

5 - With the end part of you story constructed, it's now time to organise your timeline from end to beginning. This timeline is how your stages of your game will progress. You can also make a history time line to further enhance your worlds story.

6 - Now at this point I enhanced my timelines once I had them all organised to my liking, and of course made some sense as to how my end story part had happened. Example on improving timeline:
277BA -Gold discovered
In 277BA, the discovery of a gold deposit created the city of Algor, almost over night. Unfortunately, the vein ran dry within five years and most of the prospectors ended up losing money. Within seven years, nothing was left of Algor but a few abandoned buildings.

7 - Now the fun part. With my enhanced timeline, I sat down, and took in all this information I had written. And constructed a story. Based around the time events I had set up. Which leaded to the end or final part of the world. As explained above somewhere.

8 - Once I had written it all out on paper, I then transferred it all to computer. Making the right spelling changes etc. Etc. And improving the story as I began to think of better ways to further explain the story I was telling. Once you have written your story save it to your pc, and to a cd or a:\ disk. Because you don’t know when your pc is going to bugger up next. Keep you hard copies too. They come in handy.

9 - Read your story, and try to create a picture of the world you are reading about, based on your timelines and places mentioned in your story. Now make your main map. Try to keep those elements in your story in the map as well. It make more sense to the player when they have heard about the old forsaken castle on the dark spiral hilltop. So we make it just like I said. Otherwise you story will loose some value to it, and people will find themselves becoming lost in your storyline.

10 - Same goes for other additional maps, and scene's..

11 - Set up your maps.txt

12 - Put maps and X4 maps you have made into the map folder

13 - Put all scene.jpg's in the scene folder

14 - Set up Terrains, located in quest.txt

15 - Add links/scene boxes etc. to places in which the player can go based on your story. (just add story links and scene boxes on maps.. Give them correct names based on your story, and timeline details.)

16 - Set links to link with other correct links. I.e. When joining maps etc.

17 - Place terrain in areas where needed.. On all maps..

18 - Create two txt files outside of the WoS game.. I.e. Desktop. Call one tokens, and the other scenes.

19 - Script those areas, i.e. scenes the player is going to visit first. After that record in your two txt files what scene numbers you have used and tokens.. Example:
T = 1020 = dungeon Q111, has entered tomb.
T = 1021 = dungeon Q111, has won against big zombie dude, and collected treasure.
And for scene's..
S = 999 = Dungeon Q111, tomb
S = 1000 = Dungeon Q111, zombie coffin fight!
[added by Silver: T stands for Tokens, Q for Quest and S for Scenes]

This helps to keep track of all you tokens and scene numbers you have used. Just remember to save these txt files when you add some new info to them. Otherwise you might get lost later.. Or confused when your not sure what tokens you have or haven’t used as yet.
And also back them up on a diskette or something..

20 - The storyline of your world should take awhile to script. Once you have your story line scripted, you should be able to test it, provided you have some classes. By default coping evergreens folder when you first were going to make a world should have kept all the original classes. So make a person jump into the world, and cheat.. And run through your storyline.. We cheat just to see if everything works.. I.e. Scripts and stuff.. [added by Silver: You can also use Proxbeta for this, but cheat characters are probably easier, especially because you can use /stepper and /reload on cheat characters. Personally I always test a scene immediately after writing them because you can fix your bugs easier if you still remember how you exactly made the script.]

20a - Make correct storyline items, spells, music, sfx etc as you go.. I found it is easier then to do them all at once..

21 - Ok our story and world is complete..? NO!
Oh yes, having a storyline is fun isn’t it. But we need some other no related quests to tired the players down.. Do the same method as like you were doing with the storyline. But this time write a miscellaneous quests timeline.. Also refer to you story timeline as to when or how these misc. quests have come available to the player. Maybe a plague happened in you main story, so we can spring some misc. quests to the world at this time, or place in your world. Work your misc. quests out, what is the purpose of doing the quest? Reward? Maybe to find a cure and to save the town.. Will the misc. quests interfere with the main storyline. Or can this misc. quests spring a hidden storyline from the first main storyline..

22 - Now make the correct links/scenes boxes on your maps for the misc. quests you are implementing.

23 - Script your misc. quests. Try to work with one misc. quest at a time.. Again write what tokens and scene number you have used. Or refer back to the txt files for what ones you haven’t used.

24 - Now add in remaining links/scene boxes for basic shops.. Places mini games etc..

25 - Add basic remaining items, spells music, sfx etc to your world.

26 - Script all shops, mini games camp scene, basic fight scene etc.

27 - Add monsters to the correct places and areas in your world.. Example snow fields, must have snow or cold related monsters. No point putting a magma dragon in the north pole. Or putting Santa in a volcano.

28 - Make your interface, buttons etc..

29 - Make classes, playable people etc [added by Silver: don’t forget to balance classes with the /battle command. To take care that all classes have no real advantage vs. each other each class should have 0,0 hit.]

30 - Make any additional files, example film clips.. Or something I might have missed in this topic..

31 - By now you should have some idea as to what your world is all about. So you should be able to make a title for it.

32 - Now make a web page for your world, remember the web page is about your world not you.

33 - Find some willing people who want to help beta test your world.

34 - Add those beta testers names, and those people who helped you in your credits section, maybe even the scrolling intro thingy..

35 - version you world.

36 - Zip, upload it and release your world, on your worlds website..

37 - Enjoy playing.. ( well, that of course is boring playing your own world.. Because you made it..) Lol so enjoy others worlds, and help those who need help.. [added by Silver: Playing your own world does have certain advantages, but if quests aren’t randomised it gets boring soon as Makarei said since you wrote them and already know what to do where. You’ll mostly end up testing the quests instead of playing them.]

--------------------
Silver

Hal
Veteran Member
Member # 1426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hal   Author's Homepage   Email Hal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to that, I'm doing it all wrong. Not that that is suprising.

I would like to say that if you do not follow Silver's guidelines, you should either be an experienced World Dev (and hence not needing them :-P) or be prepared to be editing things ALOT, and going around and around in circles. :-)

--------------------
Any and all velca will be added to your personal hahta in Angamando.

Posts: 711 | From: Chanhassen, Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
IceFox/ Silver
Member # 2200

Even if you're experienced you still need some structure in your work. [Wink]

I know that I'll be following those steps too in my new world, maybe not all of them but writing out a time scheme will be extremely useful for me since history is a very important part of the world.

RoT's storyline was basicly completely redone after I joined the team, the quests were supposed to be about something with headless horsemen, but the theme wasn't even really worked out yet. If I were allowed to change RoT's name I'd probably would have changed that too, but Atsumori insisted on keeping it. [Razz]
It was pretty hard to make the name fit into the storyline when that happened. [Wink]

Still, I wrote down all my idea's that I had for RoT and turned that into a storyline that was divided in the past/present/future, after that I started working out the present storyline piece by piece, the future was pretty much the end of the world and the past were the events that happened a long time ago in RoT. (You know them as the Flashbacks now.)

Working with a certain structure really helps to get some good quick results, as Hal said you'll be redoing a lot of work if you don't follow certain guidelines. [Razz]

Silver

[ 11-29-2003, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: IceFox/ Silver ]

--------------------
Silver

Makarei
Verbose Member
Member # 1646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makarei   Author's Homepage   Email Makarei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a small note:

To those who are new to making a wos world, for wos. Firstly, before you go ahead and ask about how you do this or that.. Go into wos world making thingy and play around with it, test it see what you think it can or cant do.. push buttons, fiddle, etc and see what the outcome is. i found playing around with the wos eninge thingy is the easiest way to learn it.

And once you have mastered that, then relate back to this forum and read the sticky topics at the top of this fourm to see how to become good at scripting, making maps, and other fields of interest.

oh and just remember to make a copy of evergreens folder, for your world, before you go playing in the world dev maker thingy..

--------------------
7 Years almost done.

Posts: 1040 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
IceFox/ Silver
Member # 2200

What to do when you need help?

Describing your problem would help a lot more then yelling that something isn't working.

What are you trying to do?
Where are you trying to do it in WoS?
What do you want (it/ the script/ the spell etc.) to do?
Why do you think it's not working what you're doing?

If you answer those questions then we can probably help you out. Right now I don't have a clue what you're trying to say and only I NEED HELP part is understandable, but we can't help you if we don't know what you need help with.

Silver

[ 12-29-2003, 04:45 AM: Message edited by: IceFox/ Silver ]

--------------------
Silver

ML4 creator
Healthy Member
Member # 4011

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ML4 creator   Author's Homepage   Email ML4 creator   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i went on and played around with it and worked my A$$ off on a world called Monsterland that isnt going to be published. but working on that let me know so much about building worlds that now, im working on a world that IS going to be published that will make RoT look puny! well, maybe not that good, but still, it will be pretty good. anyway, i just wanted to put in my system for world building:

1) make some basic stuff

2) play the world see how stuff looks

3) find problems and let ideas come to me while playing the world

4) fix the problems and improve stuff

5) repeat steps 2-4 until its done, then build my home and publish it!

fairly simple, but i like your way better.

--------------------
Viva La Resistance!

Posts: 411 | From: The Realm of Chaos | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Darangen
Compulsive Member
Member # 780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darangen   Email Darangen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're making a world for the sole purpose of seeing how many people will play it, I can assure you that you will be disappointed, especially if it is your first world.

When making a world, you should make sure that you are doing it because it is something that you want to do, something that will make you happy when it's complete, and something that be fun for YOU. Many worlds are out there, and a lot of them are really good worlds with a lot of time put into them, some on the other hand are a couple of re-used maps and monsters with 1 or 2 quests that can be finished in 5 minutes. What is my point here? How many worlds do you see being played online? Usually Evergreen is predominant, some Aerianell servers, maybe an RoT and Worlds End. There are other great worlds out there, but still not many, if anyone, plays them. So if you are developing a world you should do it because you just want to, not because you want everyone else to see how many cool and awesome ideas you have.

I have made about 7 worlds altogether, and I have assisted some in making their worlds. My first 4 worlds sucked so bad that I was embarrased to release them to the public, only a few close friends ever got copies of those. (The Unnamed World, Erotomania, Hells Kitchen, and Trial of Tears). But then I finally released a world to the public, I figured that the only way to figure out what people were looking for was to give them something, and then get feedback from the players. This world was Innsmouth. Everything was going fine and dandy until an unexpected virus destroyed all my files and i was forced to reformat losing my precious pubCenter.dat file. I then started on a new project, Dragonia. Dragonia was a beta only world and was closed due to matters happening in my life. I stopped playing WoS and creating worlds for a while, but then about a year later I returned and started working on it again. Dragonia soon became what you all know as Althagar. I worked on Althagar for a while but grew weary of trying to keep up with hackers cheaters and modders. Learning a valuable lesson, I decided to start again from ground zero, this time not trying to catch cheaters, or ban hackers. At this same time though I was asked to help with project x, a large scale world in progress. So now I've been working mainly on px, with a little bit of time on The Twelve Stones. People may know and like my work now, but I was once an unknown author.

I said all that to say this:

Don't give up on your world just because other worlds are coming out. So what, maybe you're world won't be #1 on it's first day, maybe there won't be 10 servers filled with 30 people each on it, maybe it will seem that your time and effort were wasted on this. But here are a few tips to helping your world become known.

1) Advertise.
Go to the BB's. The most productive advertisement would be on the official wos bb. Just post a topic with the title something like this "NEW WORLD! - WorldName" People will often read this and learn about your world. Be sure to include information about your world, but don't make it too lengthy, long posts tend to scare people away.

2) Be Unique
Many worlds out there are copies of a different world with a new name slapped on it. It's not to say that you shouldn't learn from other worlds and get ideas from others work, but have something in your world that makes your world unique. (example would be deleveling from althagar, no other world has that).

3) Host your own server.
Not everyone reads the bb's. Another way people can see that there is a new world is out is seeing it on the server list. If you can't host a server most of the time, then try and get some friends to host it when you can't. Connection speed isn't a must, cable or better is nice, but you can still host a server with 56k. You're main focus here is advertising your world, others with higher speed online will come by and host servers if needed later on.

I hope this helps and encourages you to persevere.

~Darangen~

--------------------
It's ok, I like girls.
Lea, a world in development.

Posts: 2464 | From: Not of this world | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Makarei
Verbose Member
Member # 1646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makarei   Author's Homepage   Email Makarei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dont for get to add a link or something from ya advertising post to ya webpage. its always good to goto that worlds webs page to read up on it. well i always read about the world first before i make choice on downloading the world.

Worlds webpages are about your world.. not you! tho i always have a staff page floating around somewhere..

Darangen: dont forget you helped me quite abit on the world i makin' by the way might need ya to do some more midi converting things like last time.. if ok?

--------------------
7 Years almost done.

Posts: 1040 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Devil Hunter
Member # 4660

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Devil Hunter   Author's Homepage   Email Devil Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i made world a long whie ago (it was... a disaster) but im using all the experience i gained making it in my new one.

my advice is when theres a problem you cant seem to fix. either have a look at it the next day, or post here [Big Grin] as im sure a lot of people here would tell you, im a pain for posting on small mistakes [Big Grin]

Thnaks for the help you guys have been giving anyway [Wink]

-The Devil Hunter-

--------------------
If there are other worlds out there... Then our's is just a small piece of something much greater

Posts: 53 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Devourer Of Souls
Veteran Member
Member # 1744

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Devourer Of Souls   Author's Homepage   Email Devourer Of Souls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I see we have a few new coders, this is just a few suggestions to them to when they get to coding in large amounts.

Step 1: Organize your work.

It's probably a good idea to seperate your code files by what they are in different TXTs. Such as

scenes10.txt - Basic scenes from 1-10
quests30.txt - Quest scenes from 21-30

Or you could even do it by where it is.

town1.txt - All of town 1's coding.
city1.txt - All of city 1's coding.

Either one works, it's just up to you. This way your code is easily locate-able, and it saves you alot of headaches.

Step 2: Organizing your Code.

Now that you have your TXTs organized, it's probably a smart idea to organize the code inside too. You could try something like

;Town 1's Armor Shop
SCENE...

Or something similar. It's probably also a good idea to code your scenes in numerical order.

Another good thing to try is tabbing your code to be even more organized. Since tabbing doesn't really matter in WoS coding, you could try something like

code:
SCENE...     
IF T2, @bob
1: YOU ARE NOT BOB.
END
@bob
1: OMG HI BOB.
END

or

SCENE
IF T2, @bob
1: YOU ARE NOT BOB.
END
@bob
1: OMG HI BOB.
END

That's just the basics. If anyone wants to add anything useful, go ahead.

--------------------
-DoS

Mysterious One
Veteran Member
Member # 5161

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mysterious One         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget the thing where you can have certain things happen on certain maps. For instance...

code:
 SCENE...
[Actor details here]
IF #2, @sell2
1: Hi! Let me sell you something!
IF #4, @sell3
OFFER2 0, 20, etc. etc. etc.
1: Finest Armour ever secretly forged in Hell!!!!
END

@sell2
1: Hi! Let me sell you something!
OFFER2 20, 40,etc. etc. etc.
END

@sell3

OFFER2 40, 60,etc. etc. etc.
END

In which case, on map (insert number here, 1 on Underworld )you would be greeted with Hi! Let me sell you something! Finest Armour ever secretly forged in Hell!!!!
and a shop selling armour, boots, helmets and shields of level 0-20. On map 2 you would again be greeted by Hi! Let me sell you something! Finest Armour ever secretly forged in Hell!!!! and armour, boots, helmets and shields of level 20-40. On map 4 you would yet again see Hi! Let me sell you something! Finest Armour ever secretly forged in Hell!!!! and armour, boots, helmets and shields of level 40-60.

[ 08-18-2004, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Mysterious One ]

--------------------
Staring at a brick wall is like watching paint dry, only even more boring.

Posts: 549 | From: the depths of time | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
IceFox/ Silver
Member # 2200

Important notice!

When you're ready to publish your world and get to put a version on your world with the /version command then don't forget your password!

If you forget it you can never retrieve it again and by doing not update your world anymore. You could delete the world.ver file in that case, but that will mark all existing characters as modders!

Also be sure to make a back up from your pubCentre.dat file in your c:\WoS\ folder. This is the file that takes care that nobody can change something in your world without being marked a modder.

Silver

--------------------
Silver

Pippin Took
Compulsive Member
Member # 4676

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pippin Took   Email Pippin Took   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Web Hosting

I can host peoples worlds on my computer I have T1+

Only things are:
-------------
1. Im not limiting you to space but if it gets too big Im gonna conatact you

2. html,htm,txt,only
----

All your files will be located at

http://24.116.252.66/members/accountname/

------

Email me at: Mike.Ravenelle@gmail.com

for more info

or

Email me for a account

----

Mad
Verbose Member
Member # 5460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad   Author's Homepage   Email Mad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well there are nice tips here - that I didn't follow I have to confess. The result is that I can't remember the number of times I had to edit WoS files, from the OBL files to the scenes ID or the monsters coords. It was probably wasting my time but sometimes it is also good to have some freedom in what you do.

Making a world is a long, long task. At the begining, you won't be able to make complex scripts but you can still make very simple scenes and get the hand of it with shops or healing scenes for exemple. I don't think new world devs should focus on the config files first, like items.txt. Editing or writing those files takes lots of time and can drain your motivation of you start with them. But guys, do you remember the very first scene you've implanted in Well of Souls? And what you felt when you've played your scene? Don't try to make all the boring stuff first, even if indeed it would be more efficient. Have fun!

You also have to keep in mind that almost everything you implant could be changed afterwards, even the items or spells ID for exemple could be changed after the publication of the world. You don't have a good map? Fine, then use a temporary map that you'll change later, that's not a problem. However, there are a few mistakes I did when I created my world and that unfortunatly I cannot change now. The main mistake I did was not to use area maps. Area maps are the only way to make WoS 3ds-looking and better from an artistic point of view. Think about that when you'll make your world, for you won't be able to change this.

On the other hand, there are a few things that cannot or could hardly be changed after the publication of the world: 1/ the weapon names: be very carefull here as well or you'll be with 2 different kind of weapons that you could regroup and 1 new kind that you'd like to implant but that you can't for even with a token protection it wouldn't fit in any of your categories. Leaving one or 2 blank weapons kind untill the world is well developed may be a good idea.

Finally, classes ID could be hardly changed as well. And you could quickly run out of IDs. I remember this world dev who intended to have the maximum of classes since the beginning. Another big mystake. What will you do when you'll have published your world since a couple of years and have THE great idea for a new class?

Concerning the story of your world, do what you want but have an open-plot. If the story of your world can be resumed in the intro screen, then you're world is a dead world. Fine, you are a super-hero gathering all the soul items, but once you have killed thge black wraith - or any other big boss, what will you do? And what new quests can the WD implant? None. Or completly artificial quests.

To conclude, I would like to point at what Dar said. Do not expect your world to be popular. If you want to make a world to become popular, then forget it. Make a world because you like scripting and making something out of nothing, not for glory. The players of WoS will probably deseperate you: most of them are only consomators: they will play (or not) your world, but don't expect 90% of them to help you with anything - most of them are even too lazy to report a single bug: they will blame you for it when you won't be here, but won't bother reporting it.

Even if you make your world on your own, you will need people to help you, nice players to host a perma server, others to beta test. Having found those players is more precious than having found a dev team, trust me. Don't neglect them. Your world will never become popular without good players, but you'll never have good players if you don't have a good world. Such is WoS.

Finally, never listen those who will tell you that you will fail. Discouraging a new world dev is stupid - he may not finish his world, then what? Don't think either that you have to have posted 500 message in this forum to be a good world devs. This forum may be very helpful but I could quote at least 2 world devs who have published some of the best worlds for WoS who almost never post here. Do not think that you or your world do or will not exist if you do not exist for those BBs.

Good luck!

-------------------------------------------------

EDIT - I forgot to insist on this point :

quote:
Write any ideas down on a piece of paper, away from the computer.
Silver is more than right. I entierly scripted the best quests of my world away from my computer. When you're in front of your screen, your mind is parasited by other consideration, artistic stuff, scripts problems, etc. When you're away from your computer, it is just you and your imagination. That's the best way to be original in my mind.

[ 08-08-2005, 02:34 AM: Message edited by: Mad ]

--------------------
athelias.biz - Forums - Worlds' List

Posts: 1812 | From: Moe's | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Havok Da Juggalo
Veteran Member
Member # 4321

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Havok Da Juggalo   Author's Homepage   Email Havok Da Juggalo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow, i must of been doing everything ass backwards then. I nbeen writing out my quests in a notebook, during my breaks at work then coming home and typing them out and trying them and stuff.. one question though, how do I change the default monsters to monsters I have made. Like in RoT (sorry, RoT was the first world that I seen that used acuall skins and not default monster skins) Also, I been making this world for about months now, I am pretty much doing everything solo since I never seem to have enough time to get online for more then 20-45 minutes at a time. So a Dev team is pretty much just me, my homie and my GF right now, since all three of us can access the game from my home computer.

[ 10-13-2005, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: Havok Da Juggalo ]

--------------------
Dear God or Godlike figure, please make scottie better. Look around, YOU OWE ME! If he isn't better by tommorow, THE DEVILS' GOT A NEW ERRAND BOY!

Now your mind is broken and you feel pain. What you call sanity is what I call insane.-Mr. Bones

Posts: 815 | From: Shangri-la | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
IceFox/ Silver
Member # 2200

Your question is answered in the monsters.txt file, it explains it all really well. [Smile]

I'll give a short rundown though, to change monster skins open monsters.txt look up the skin argument (I think it's 4) and there change the name to the name of your skin. Your skin must be in the monsters folder of your world, else it won't work.

After that open your world, call out a monster with that skin to fight and enjoy the show. [Razz]

Silver

--------------------
Silver

Necrotic Armageddon
Healthy Member
Member # 7847

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Necrotic Armageddon   Email Necrotic Armageddon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I havent been doing like anything like writing it down on paper, probably because mine doesnt have one storyline, each area has it's own, big or small, that branchs according to choices in the character. With side-quests and plots that dont end at the end. I havent gotten like any of the scenes yet, because I have been making all of the classes, scripting my special things like my map travel, lighting by time of day (not to hard), every element and subelement, spells, monsters, armor/weapons and so on.

--------------------
You will fall at the feet of me, then rise again in my undead army.

Posts: 101 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.