Synthetic Reality Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » General Madness » Role Playing Forum » **RP Guide**

Author Topic: **RP Guide**
Noel
Healthy Member
Member # 329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Noel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is Role Playing?

You may not know it, but you already know how to Role Play. Chances are that you've even done it before. You just might have just called it "Playing House" or "Cowboys and Indians."

"Let's Pretend" games are the precursors and the foundation of role playing games. In those games you would pick out some sort of adventurous situation, pick what kind of person you are within that world, then play out the scene you've set up to see what happens to you. In "Let's Pretend" games, you are never yourself. You're always someone who leads a more exciting life and frankly has more fun than you do.
Role Playing is putting yourself in someone else's place and reacting to situations the way you think that person would react. In Cowboys and Indians, if the Apaches are waiting around the corner for an ambush, the sheriff's posse wouldn't pull out a laser gun and blast them all to pieces. No, they saddled up, loaded their six-shooters and rode out to look for them.
Sometimes Role Playing is compared to theater, but it's not like a play you'd see on a stage. There your role has been predefined and your actions set by the script. Your story is already written out for you, but the sort of acting that you do when you play out a role in a game like WoS is more like improvisational street theater. There's no script and no one to tell you exactly what to do. You start out with a basic idea of who you are and how you got here. Then you meet situations as they arrive, making it up as you go and having a great time doing it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is the purpose of Role Playing?

The best way to answer this question is to ask RPers themselves:
"RP in game is just another step (or a different step) of applying my imagination..." - Sorna
"Role Playing is a way to learn new things about new people, without the same old dry conversation. It opens up doors to new players and new ideas, as well as seeing old friends in a new light..." - RedRum
"Role-play is a form of escape for the stressed (that doesn't involve drugs or bodily harm to themselves or others). It's a creative outlet for people whose minds are overflowing with ideas, a chance to live in a time period that they can never visit, and a healthy opportunity to have abilities that they will never possess..." - Antares
"I enjoy RPing because it's fun. It's fun to interact with people in a way that's different than normal. It's fun to entertain people when you can do it. It's fun to step outside of your thoughts and think differently than you might normally think. It's fun because it allows you to think on your feet, it's improv. It's just fun..." - Mortis
"I RP because I find it enjoyable, and a wonderful exercise in creative writing. My best death was when Krullwolf PKed me on the forest road, he RPed the whole thing, it was fantastic. I RP all over the place, and not all RP is serious, in fact, a lot of my RP is comedy. Hurrah for RP..." - Aslanna
What I personally get out of RP is another aspect of game play. I used to play the game constantly, killing, leveling, repeating. It got old. With RP, I found another way to enjoy the game..." - Adar
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where do I begin?
First thing to do is: create your character. It may sound simple, but it's the foundation of role playing. First you need a role to play. How involved you are with your character will almost always directly effect how much you enjoy role playing. Create a personality for your character first, maybe by writing up a little story of your character's background and how they came to Syndar. Several people have histories like this posted in the Cornerstone Inn Forum or on a website linked in their bio. Reading through those may help you develop your own character.
There's no need to be godly powerful (in fact that's probably a very bad idea), nor high level or well equipped, just be someone you are comfortable with. Role playing is a chance to live out in a small way things that you would or could never do in real life. While that gives you a considerable amount of freedom, please remember that there are a few expectations, some guidelines, that should be kept in mind. See below for a list of some general tips and guidelines for role playing.
While building your character's personality, there are some things to keep in mind. Statistics have no effect on role playing ability, they do have some effect on how people see your character, at least from their description when someone looks them over. Integrate your characters stats, class, and alignment (PK, APK, etc.) into his or her personality. You don't have to be limited by them, but it can help to guide you.
When it comes down to it though, stats don't matter for RPing, in the most general purposes. You can play off them...or you can play against them. People can't see your stats, they can only tell a few remote things and even being able to know these few things...what does that matter? All they can do from there is guess as to what the character is, stereotype it based on it's appearance. Nothing has to fit its appearance.
Some people, especially when working with a new character or new to role playing, find it helps to have something to fall back on, one distinct characteristic that you can rely on in many situations. Some very good ideas have been: a Cannibalistic Slayer, a mute who can only communicate through actions, a blind Monk, and a Pyromaniac Assassin. These sorts of characteristics are what give your character individuality and personality. If you have one defining thing you can keep foremost in your mind, it can help when trying to decide how to act or react to something and stay in character. You can get your personality down and work out details or catch-phrases, actions, items, etc. while you play your character. It's nice to have a few identifying characteristics, but those aren't needed to role play well.
My advice to everyone is to start wherever you want, and go from there. Try and stay within reason and limit, but if your imagination takes you somewhere...let it take you. Become that character, know why you act the way you do. You won't know this all at first. You start with a general idea, and you learn what you like/dislike, how you react to situations, why you do the things you do, the details of your background, your morality/ethics as you go. RPing over time is like growing as a person, you start out with your general ideas and they evolve, and you learn new things as you go that you incorporate into your character.
General Tips and Guidelines for Role Playing:
When you take your RPing out into the world of Evergreen, speak and act, it even helps to think, as if you are your character, rather then just you playing the game. It may take some time, but eventually it will become more natural to speak "in character." Its easier to start role playing with a few friends, that way you don't feel very out of place if/when people don't RP back.
One thing to remember, something absolutely invaluable for role playing, is the "/a" command. Emotes are great to enhance interactions, but they are very limiting. The /a command allows you to describe subtle things like facial expressions, actions and reactions, any number of things, whatever your imagination comes up with and the moment calls for. Some people role play through emotes and /a alone.

Stay away from things that don't fit within the world and times of WoS worlds. Talking about bugs in game, stats, websites, things about your computer, etc... doesn't fit in the world of Evergreen. There are no cameras, no light sabers and certainly no huge robots with giant laser eyes. Also refrain from talking about your alternate characters. If you walked around saying, "I'm also this guy Brian who lives in California," people would look at you kind of funny.
There are creative ways to describe IRL (in real life) things. For example, when trying to describe a server crash that caused several players to miss the end of a mosh, a reporter for the "Evergreen Gazette" described it like this: "Unfortunately, an evil and powerful spell from beyond the Realms of Evergreenbefell the many warriors and seemed to hold them powerless and suspended, apart from the world. When the spell finally was broken by the will of the Gods, many of the entrants were unfortunately unable to find their way back into the mosh."
When you do find that you want to say something that doesn't seem to fit, but can't think of another way to say it, just note it with an "OOC" (out of character) beforehand. That way people know your comments are coming from YOU and not your character. Don't mix OOC chat with IC freely. Most people prefer to conduct OOC chat, if they do it at all while role playing, through pages or whispers. It's alright to 'OOC:' and then say something OOC every now and then...but freely mixing OOC and IC chat can ruin the believability of your character.

Along the same line of limitations, try to keep your characters abilities and actions with reason. Role playing is all about creativity and freedom, but you should remember that your beliefs of your character can be tested by any other character. If you think you are that quick, that strong, that god-like, when someone else slaps you upside the head with their staff your character's thoughts of himself have just been proven wrong. There is nothing wrong with embellishing your character's abilities, as long as you are willing to let others prove your worth.

Sorna made some excellent points about language useage while RPing: Do not use the King's English (thee, thou, art, etc.) unless it actually fits with your character's background, like human royalty or maybe the odd cleric/knight/paladin. If you are going to use an odd manner of speaking (like the King's English) then please learn how to use it correctly, like which words go where and in what order in a sentence - they aren't all the same as 'modern' English.

One thing that is a major no-no is RPing the actions of others, or how they perceive or react to your actions. To really carry on enjoyable interaction, you must allow others to form their own responses to your actions. Aslanna posted an excellent way of explaining this:
Its a cardinal rule to not dictate the action of others. There are minor exceptions... but specifically when your stating if your attack hits or not.
/a leaps forward with a snarl, swinging her heavy blade in a dazzling arc that causes you to suck in a breath of surprise.
*attack*
would be permissible.
/a gives a cry of rage as she lunges forward, her blade burying itself deeply in your body causing you to drop to the floor, mortally wounded.
*attack*
Is not.
Personally I would take this to the extreme and say that anything at all, even the "that causes you to suck in a breath of surprise" would be unacceptable. You never know how your actions will effect someone else until they are done and the person responds. There are many layers to this, and it really depends on how seriously you take your role playing. Some people can be quite vehement about it.

This one is more of a personal pet-peeve than a real rule, but it seems that a great deal of people think that cyber sex is role playing, or that everyone who role plays just wants to have cyber sex. What you do in a private room really is your own business, but realise that RoK is a game played by a wide variety of people and certain things are just not acceptable in that environment. 99% of those who role play do it for the creative outlet. Now if you want to role play someone who is excessively "friendly" or even a blatant brothel worker, you certainly have that option, but please try to remember that many people see excessive kisses, hugs, even any form of touching from a total stranger under the guise of "role play" as a violation.

This is the most important rule. Have fun. Don't get discouraged. If RPing become a hassle. Just stop for the day. No one is going to laugh at you because your out of character, but rather, admire the fact that you even have one. Realize that all of these "rules" are bendable if not breakable in some circumstance or another. Role play by it's very nature is extremely flexible. These are just general guidelines to help make your RP experience, and the experience of those you interact with, the most positive that it can be.
-----------------------

There you all go. I used a lot of examples from Evergreen and just made some things up just to show you what exactly I'm talking about. I hope after reading that you all will start RPing better. If you have any questions please refer to that or contact me through email or AIM - Namarra Raven.

Just keep all that in mind while RPing in this forum, have fun!

[ 01-16-2003, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Noel ]

Lady Griffon
Member # 189

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Lady Griffon   Author's Homepage   Email Lady Griffon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is actually more a guide to live RPing rather than RPing on a BB (though a lot of things apply to both). Looks pretty well thought out.

LGH

--------------------
Keeper of the Golden Soapbox
LoH

Posts: 1463 | From: Myzan | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

Open Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.