Synthetic Reality Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » General Madness » Role Playing Forum » Rules & Guidelines [Moderated] READ BEFORE POSTING

Author Topic: Rules & Guidelines [Moderated] READ BEFORE POSTING
Lady Griffon
Member # 189

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Lady Griffon   Author's Homepage   Email Lady Griffon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is just for starters. Modifications and additions will be made.
Like Dan I will take (or leave) your ideas and delete posts.

01. Good RP starts with a solid foundation of your character. So when faced with creating a character start from scratch. First come up with a basic idea of who you want to portray (i.e., evil, good, male, female, down to earth, prissy, etc.). From there decide on physical attributes to enhance this character's personality. Most do this, but then stop there. Exceptional RP'ers continue with the following steps...

A. Create a history for your character from childhood. This is crucial Not only will it help you understand the character itself, but it will allow you to accurately decide how a character will respond to current conditions of an RP. i.e. If a character was born and raised on the streets most likely they will not be naive or speak properly.

B. Create personality flaws and nuances for this character. Let's face it, we all have them, shouldn't your character creation follow suit? Sometimes these will become personal trademarks for your character.

C. Take a chance by making a character that is totally opposite of yourself and other characters you play.

D. Please try and be oringinal. Nothing is more annoying than when one sees a carbon copy of their hard work. Not to mention a copy cat character never gains the respect or popularity of an original.

E. Stay true to what you have created. You'll find the more you "flesh" out a character the easier it is to react as that character. When introducing a character provide some sort of description (and not "that skin I use"  - ).

02. It's generally considered 'polite' to post a single major action then wait for the other involved parties to respond; the exception being if you are the only participant. Try to keep introductory posts to a single post (doesn't matter how long) before entering into an ongoing RP thread. If you want to have a multiple post introduction, say to gradually move yourself from your starting location (be it the same world in a different arear or another world or dimension) to the location of the ongoing RP, start a new thread then when you are ready, move threads.

e.g.
A short OOC (Out of Character for those not "in the know") note at the bottom of the last post moving to the new thread [OOC: Story continued in ******] and the same thing at the top of the new post [OOC: Story continued from ******].

03. If you are RP'ing with others allow the other parties to respond for themselves. Don't assign actions/reactions/emotions to a character not your own. Exception to this is if 2 (or more) of you want to get together and work out who does what, then one of you posts it, that's alright because content will have been given. Just remember it wastes time and space for someone to have to go back and "correct" what was done or said on their behalf.

04. If you are in a role play with several others, read all their posts CAREFULLY before you post a reply. If you respond to the first one you see, you can easilly miss something key that someone else posted, and then the continuity is all messed up. Then you end up with a bunch of follow-ups asking "what was that?" or pointing out the anomaly.

A. A little trick to use to try and keep continuity- Copy, paste, and save as text any posts that include your character in a roleplay. Then you can refer back to each as you write up your next post.

Also, don't switch viewpoints in the middle of the post. Either post entirely third person or entirely first person, whichever you are more comfortable with.

B. Write up your post in a word processor that has spell and grammar check. It isn't hard to copy and paste to the boards. When you do run a check though, remember that sometimes words are spelled correctly but are not used in the correct context (e.g. they're, their; you're, your; etc.). So re-read your post as well.

C. Use a foreign language and/or accent only in "speech" or when your character speaks outloud. For foreign languages please supply a translation somewhere in the post. Try to use correct spelling and grammar when writing. The exception to this is again when a character "speaks".

05. If you have a line of roleplay that takes place in more than one folder, it's a good idea to repost the bits together in at least one, or each involved folder, so people dont miss part of your storyline.

06. It's ok to invent a temporary npc to use in a post, such as a barmaid, messenger, or familiar. It's also ok to make up things to use:.A table, a fancy cloak, stun-stick, whatever, as long as your role-play has a legitimate reason for it to be there.

07. Please do not create a "God like" character. Understand that sometimes even your character will be bested every now and then. For example if dealing with a grand master thief it is doubtful that most will catch them doing something as simple as picking a pocket. If there are going to be exceptions (ie a mage cast a spell on something, a someone has a special device that will sound an alarm etc....) that's okay, but please don't tell me an ordinary fighter will just happen to notice it's happening. Always keep in mind what you are playing and stick to that choice. If you play an evil, be evil. I've never seen an evil person help a kitten down from a tree, just for the hell of it. If you are playing a short character, do not tell me that they can back hand another character that's 3 feet taller. In other words it's actually fun to have character downfalls.

08. No killing (or saying you killed) another person's character. A possible exception to this would be a REAL PK fight in-game. Like the game though, death will not be permanent unless the person killed say so for some reason or another. Likewise, no destroying someone else's world. You may destroy your own if you wish.

09. If someone RP's something out in the open, even if they are hidden in a corner, being as clandestine as a thief, it is still something that is shared by all the players who would read the post. There is that sometimes irresistable urge for you to act upon that RP, even if it would have been impossible for your character to overhear or interact at that time. Try to resist this urge. Remember, you don't know what you don't know. The player behind the character may know all sorts of stuff, but the character DOESN'T. Play it that way (it gets easier, just have to think a bit and ask yourself "would my character know this?")

10. No "sudden saves" by fantastical means to get out of sticky situations. (i.e. no deus ex machina - god from machine) That means if you're wandering along, suddenly get ambushed, you can't just pull out that "sword of super-slaying" or "bombastic blaster from the netherhells." If you didn't have it, don't use it consistantly, wouldn't be likely to have it.... don't try to use it.

11. Other than OOC don't use any acronyms in your posts, most people probably know the common ones, but assume they don't. Also, try to type it up before-hand in a word-processing program that has a spell checker  - Also, keep OOC posting to a minimum in an RP thread.

12. No "thread jumping" i.e. jumping in and out of threads with no logical way to have moved from one to the other (to another). Most these RP's are taking place on many differnt "worlds".

---- Like I said, this is just a start and may be condensed, most certainly will be added to, suggestions are welcome  - ----

My opinion as far as the "legality" of having the same character in different RP's at different ages... well, I'll say I DON'T LIKE IT, but several people have been doing it and I'm not going to stop it *for now*. I think it makes things way too confusing for all concerned.

You're supposed to be building a character with a HISTORY. Something that happened to you at an earlier time makes a difference about who & what you are at a later time. I don't see how you (this is a generic "you") can RP two (or more) different character timeframes at once. It's easier to just start a different character IMO.

I'm adding on a post from Ebaggins that I thought fit in here nicely.
quote:
Ebag333
Member posted 03-27-2001 12:57 PM

1) You ARE that character. Think how s/he would think, act as they would act.

Example :
BAD
"Jimbob runs through the forest and digs up the treasure chest Joe buried last night."

GOOD
"Jimbob slowly walks through the forest, carefully watching for monsters. He walks by some fresh dirt, and wonders what sort of monster was here, and what they were digging for."

Even though the person RPing Jimbob knows that Joe buried a chest there, Jimbob doesn't. And Jimbob wouldn't go around digging at every mound of dirt he saw either.

2) No super-slaying bombastic blasters from the nether-hells. Give your "opponents" time to react. It's one thing to say "Ebag helps Leniad to his feet", it's another to say "Ebag jumps a million miles in the air, flys down, and land on Leniads head, smashing it like a pumpkin. COOL!"

First off, it's not fair. Second off, while some actions you might not be able to react to, most of them you could. So do something instead like "Ebag raises his hand and launches a black and blue ball of fire at Lenaid." Then give them time to react.

3) Description! Description description description!

Which would you rather read?
"The stanger walks down the road."
OR
"The odd looking stranger walks down the narrow dirt road, carefully watching the woods to his left and right. His blue cape billows behind him, giving short glimpses of the sable sword strapped to his left side. He right hand flexes near the grip, just waiting to draw the weapon again any foe."

Obviously the second one is better? Why? First, it's more fun to read. Second, it tells other people what the character is carrying. Third, it helps YOU get a feel for your character. If he's carrying a sword, he's not gonna punch someone. No, he's gonna draw his sword and chop their head off. Finally, it helps other people understand your character. By reading the above description, I can see that this is a very serious person, and he's (more than likely) slightly evil or battling with that.

Anyways, that's my guidelines to RPing well. Have fun!

Adding another quote from Donnay here, figure it's appropriate  -
quote:
Shon-dahre posted 06-16-2002 06:28 PM

Please don't use signatures when you are role-playing... It's just an idea to help keep stuff clean in here, especially as the longer topics will take a while to load anyway without all these annoying pictures

ADDED
Please don't post anything sexually explicit or overly suggestive. Please keep blood & guts to a minimum.

LGH

[ 01-04-2007, 03:40 AM: Message edited by: Lady Griffon ]

Shon-dahre
Member # 650

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shon-dahre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*prod*

We also need to have a standard, consistent tense...

For example, an entire RP should be posted in either past or present tense. Past feels better than present in my opinion. For example:

Past tense:

"Donny checked his mailbox, hoping for the cheque which he knew was going to arrive soon. After opening the slot, and seeing nothing, he retreated back inside, defeated."

Present tense:

"Donny checks his mailbox, knowing that there is supposed to be a cheque coming to him. He opens the slot, and takes a look inside. Staring blankly at the empty mailbox, he bursts into tears, and then runs back inside wailing."

It is a VERY BAD thing to mix tenses!

For example:

"After checking the mailbox and bursting into tears, Donny is finding it hard to comprehend where the cheque could be. Not long afterwards, Donny then searched for the phone number of the taxation department."

In this case, 'then searched' should be changed to 'is searching', and so on.

Posts: 12690 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
UltraDefiyer
Veteran Member
Member # 380

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UltraDefiyer   Author's Homepage   Email UltraDefiyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I posted this in one RP thread to answer someone, so I'm posting it here for general knowledge.

Alignments:
OOC: Well technically any combination of the following is possible:
code:
Lawful    Good
Neutral
Chaotic Evil

Good means that you do the ‘good’ thing in most situations, but you wouldn’t go so far as to kill to do it. Evil means that you don’t care about human life; don’t trust anybody. Etc. Neutral is someone that takes no sides; they only desire to live through life peacefully, though they’ll fight to protect themselves.

'Lawful' makes the alignment a little MORE good. Lawful Good would be like an extremist. They'd do just about anything to uphold law, keep peace. You know. Lawful Evil would be someone like Rak'nal. He's evil, but there are traces of good in him. Lawful Neutral... If you ever take sides, you'll join the side of good. [Big Grin]

Chaotic means that they are... sporadic. If you are Chaotic Good, you are good but bad at showing it, you may make bad choices. If you are Chaotic Evil you're pretty much nothing but evil and probably insane. Chaotic Neutral is someone who does whatever they want to do for their own personal benefit. As long as it doesn't pose too much danger to them, of course.

[ 12-19-2002, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: UltraDefiyer ]

--------------------
Silarn

Posts: 544 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lady Griffon
Member # 189

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Lady Griffon   Author's Homepage   Email Lady Griffon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Posted by Bile:

this is something of a rant, and for that I apologise, but it may be useful for people as well.

Basically, I just wanted to put forward how dissapointed I am by many of the people who have been role playing on these forums. Whilst I am very open to the fact that people haven't done this before, and that there is a learning curve, some things should really be obvious, such as reading the guidelines first

Firstly, when someone spends time setting out a world for people to role play in, you have to respect the world they have created, and abide to it's rules. If someone makes an apocalyptic Earth where humans are struggling to survive, you must realise that it is still earth. This means no demons (unless stated by the creator) and no freaky aliens. You must role play within the environment you are given.

Secondly, exaggerating is not a good way to role play. Sure, you got in a fight and won, but no, it isn't likely that you killed 3000 men and got away unharmed. Nor is it likely that you can kill well trained professionals quickly and easily unless your character is also trained.

Thirdly, you have to stick to your character. If you make up a person who was brought up in a thuggish background, and is a general heavyweight no-brains type of guy, you can't send him into a negotiating situation where he has an intelligent discussion with someone, because that isn't who you are.

once more, if you want to role play here, I would recommend reading the guidelines first, and I think perhaps that people who create RP's should link to the guidelines in the first post, so new RPers are pointed in the right direction to start out.

and as a final afterthought, writing a role play is much the same as writing a book. It has to be readable, meaning lay out your posts in a reader friendly way, but more importantly than that, it has to be enjoyable. There is simply no point in role playing a character who does nothing but kill people, because it's boring, and equally a person who does nothing but talk is boring, action and interaction need to be balanced.

anyways, rant over and I apologise, but I'm annoyed and bored.

--------------------
Keeper of the Golden Soapbox
LoH

Posts: 1463 | From: Myzan | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Shon-dahre
Member # 650

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shon-dahre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Originally posted by Iria:

The major difference between role-playing games and other games is the ultimate goal. Everyone assumes that a game must have a beginning and an end and that the end comes when someone wins. That doesn't apply to role-playing because no one "wins" in a role-playing game. The point of playing is not to win but to have fun and to socialize.
An adventure usually has a goal of some sort: protect the villagers from the monsters; rescue the lost princess; explore the ancient ruins. Typically, this goal can be attained in a reasonable playing time: four to eight hours is standard. This might require the players to get together for one, two, or even three playing sessions to reach their goal and complete the adventure.

But the game doesn't end when an adventure is finished. The same characters can go on to new adventures. Such a series of adventures is called a campaign.

Remember, the point of an adventure is not to win but to have fun while working toward a common goal. But the length of any particular adventure need not impose an artificial limit on the length of the game. The AD&D game embraces more than enough adventure to keep a group of characters occupied for years.

Posts: 12690 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Idk:Knight2030
Member # 4790

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Idk:Knight2030   Email Idk:Knight2030   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should not make your starting character too powerful at the beginning beacuse in the long run it will be less fun for you and the people you are RPing with.

[good point, I've just edited some spelling errors and summarised it - Shon]

[ 05-02-2004, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Shon-dahre ]

--------------------
idk:knight is so cool

Avelon Hellfyre
Healthy Member
Member # 3600

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avelon Hellfyre   Author's Homepage   Email Avelon Hellfyre   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uhm...on the subject of alignments (and I mean this only as information taken from D&D), Lawful&Chaotic aren't Good&Evil in and of themselves.

code:

Lawful Neutral Chaotic

Good

Neutral

Evil

Lawful Good - What you might see in a policeman, knight, or paladin...they're overly conscious of the laws and feel themselves ordained to enforce them.

Neutral Good - A cleric, devout church-going man, or possibly a kind old man outside the general store. They're nice people, but they aren't ZEALOUS.

Chaotic Good - A thief forced to steal to feed his family, a pirate who only attacks ships of evil people, a rebel...these guys are GOOD, but they aren't afraid to break laws. They don't feel it's evil - and what is good or evil, but perception and opinion?

Lawful Neutral - An ordinary citizen of a rich nation. (All I can think of) They obey the laws and keep peace whenever possible, but in the end are in it for self gain.

True Neutral (Neutral-Neutral) - A mercenary or citizen of a poor nation (where citizens don't live nearly as comfortably)...they exist only for self gain, and do not feel the Way Things Are is good enough to be worth obeying implicitly.

Chaotic Neutral - A thief, assassin, or lawyer. (I had to do it:p) These people will do just about anything if it details self interest. They are probably to be feared more than those who are truly evil...

Lawful Evil - A banker, a CIA agent, a dark knight (opposite to a paladin)... These people will obey the law, perhaps out of fear, or necessity. Cover. Whatever the reason, they will not show their true colours if it will cause repercussions.

Neutral Evil - I can't think of any examples. These people are the ones capable of doing anything evil. They wouldn't hesitate to murder a man, but wouldn't jump at the opportunity unless it were necessary.

Chaotic Evil - Every Super Nintendo RPG archvillain EVER, a demon in the service of the "Dark God" or whatever, a person bent on destroying the world...these people are often thought of as madmen, but truly are not. They all have their motives, and accomplish their goals by any means possible. And for someone like this...just about anything is possible.

I honestly don't mean to step on anyone's feet here and apologise profusely if any of this comes across that way. It just seems to be more well defined (offering a wider range of stereotypes and more areas 'between the lines' a character could be aligned with) than a simple Good/Evil system.

[ 05-14-2004, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Avelon Hellfyre ]

Posts: 106 | From: the second star on the right and straight on 'til morning | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
0pp0siti0n
Verbose Member
Member # 5511

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 0pp0siti0n     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the same options you get in Baldur's Gate. Very nice chart, thorough.

[ 12-11-2004, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: 0pp0siti0n ]

Posts: 1223 | From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sokujin
Verbose Member
Member # 2590

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Sokujin   Email Sokujin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the way me and my friends use to do it, Chaotic meant just that. If you were chaotic Good, you are that crazy over zealous paladan who will kill anything evil, and same for chaotic evil

chaotic nuetral-your fuggin insane.

--------------------
General of the Penguin Armies!Leader of the Penguin Rebelion!Father of Penguin Wars 2!

Posts: 1270 | From: Fort Carson, Colorado | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Open Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.