Synthetic Reality Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » Other Games » MIX it up! » Papa Smurf's Official WoS - Linksys Router Configuration Instructions.

Author Topic: Papa Smurf's Official WoS - Linksys Router Configuration Instructions.
1 Papa Smurf 1
Verbose Member
Member # 2441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1 Papa Smurf 1   Author's Homepage   Email 1 Papa Smurf 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Enclosed I will explain step-by-step on how to port forward and and set up your Linksys router for game play with WoS.

-----------------------------------

First start off by reading:Uncle Dans Super FAQ's on routers and network set-ups.

[And, no, I don't know why bookmarks don't work as direct url links with I.E. just by adding the #. I thought that worked. Independent experiments imply that it doesn't. At least not for me! -s]

If you really have no understanding, or just a general understanding (which majority people do) Then continue reading.

Secondly we have to start configuring things. Lets start off with your windows XP firewall. Dan has excellent instructions on configuring your firewall,
here and here .

After that is set up, we move onto the router. Most if not all Linksys routers you have a built in firewall. You need to open up ports on the firewall, just like you did with the windows xp firewall. Only since its not on your computer and is instead built in your router, you have to "port forward".

So on to port forwarding. Type in http://192.168.1.1 this is to access your linksys router setup. It should look like this.
 -

Leave the User Name blank, and in the Password, type in admin (all lower case). once your into the setup up, find an option that says "Applications and Gaming", something similair or "port forwarding". go there and you should get a screen that looks similair to this.
 -

And you want to set it up to look like this.
 -

Save the Settings. Get on WoS and see if it works. By doing this you should now be able to send and receive skins, create a MIX server, and...play [Big Grin]

*If you have any questions, or you think I left something out. Post it here or e-mail me at BaronDoth@hotmail.com*

*Final Edit (I hope) Edited the 192.etc. I hope its finished ^_^ *
*LoL I swear I edited it last time >.< *

[ 01-13-2005, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: 1 Papa Smurf 1 ]

--------------------
posted 06-29-2003 02:06 PM, (stupid newbie hacker masses!)-Samsyn
MotB posted 10-18-2004 05:44 PM "Papa, i seriously wish you would die"

Posts: 1782 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hellscream
Verbose Member
Member # 4193

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hellscream   Author's Homepage   Email Hellscream   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that was nice of you

--------------------
Support our troops, US ARMY
--Fighting for the best country, and fighting the best in WoS.

Posts: 1608 | From: Fort hood, texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
1 Papa Smurf 1
Verbose Member
Member # 2441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1 Papa Smurf 1   Author's Homepage   Email 1 Papa Smurf 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I was in a bored and charitable mood....and for some reason I like explaining things to people...very odd.

--------------------

IceFox/ Silver
Obsessive Member
Member # 2200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IceFox/ Silver   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This will probably be helpful for a lot of people. ^_^

Maybe samsyn can add it as a sticky thread in the mix forum.

Silver

[edit]
quote:
[url= http://www.synthetic-reality.com/troubleShooter.htm#I%20don't%20like%20to%20read,%20just%20boss%20me%20around%20a%20little]this[/url]
You might want to remove the space so the link shows up.

[ 12-29-2004, 05:38 AM: Message edited by: IceFox/ Silver ]

--------------------
Silver
RoT's Homepage - ProxBeta

Posts: 7098 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flamelord
Compulsive Member
Member # 4491

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flamelord   Author's Homepage   Email Flamelord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um, in case you didn't read his link, it was intentional, and the images don't show up for me. From what I can see, he's being mean and sarcastic. Whatever [Roll Eyes]

[EDIT] I may be wrong, though... [/EDIT]

[ 12-29-2004, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Flamelord ]

--------------------
Constantinople! We shall never forget your zany barge poles!

Posts: 4232 | From: Gresham, OR | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Claidan
Healthy Member
Member # 3340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claidan   Email Claidan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off Can Not if that IP address does not work for you try using the default routing IP.

http://192.168.0.1 Or http://192.168.1.1
These should bring up the dialog if not contact me on AIM at StatVampyre and I will help you further.

Papa! You big meanie! I got no credit for teachin you! Oh you so damn mean!

Posts: 375 | From: Some where in the US! | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
samsyn
Administrator
Member # 162

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samsyn   Author's Homepage   Email samsyn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, thanks Smurf! I will sticky this in MIX once it finishes its "editing" phase :-)

I might also just cop it out-right (with proper credit, of course) and cram it directly into troubleShooter.htm

--------------------
He knows when you are sleeping.

Posts: 10561 | From: California | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
1 Papa Smurf 1
Verbose Member
Member # 2441

Member Rated:
quote:
that IP doesn't work for me. and I use a Linksys router.
Which part are you talking about? Because mine and everyone elses I know of works from that, however I'll look into it a bit more. I assume your talking about the .100 you type in at the end?

<Edit> nevermind I think you worked it out.

LoL thanks for editing it Dan [Wink] .

[ 12-29-2004, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: 1 Papa Smurf 1 ]

--------------------

Claidan
Healthy Member
Member # 3340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claidan   Email Claidan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a problem, it's rather easy see the IP address that Papa told you goes to a Wireless G Linksys router I believe. The IP is more than likely going to be diffrent due to the device being diffrent. Most of thier cheaper/older models run off the same old 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1

My Linksys runs off of 192.168.1.1 [Smile] So I can understand why you were having issues with the configuration address. Other than that, Linksys is the best to configure for WoS. I should get out my old D-Link 604 and give networking that a chance.

Tho I run into problems with accessing the server after I make it show. So it's no biggie I guess. But I should check and see if it's possible to force the connection via tunneling or something. I dunno I'll look into it later.

Posts: 375 | From: Some where in the US! | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
1 Papa Smurf 1
Verbose Member
Member # 2441

Member Rated:
As my router and the configuration I used is fairly new, I assume majority of the people who need help will have a new/newer linksys router. Im sure people who have had their Linksys for years have either given up or figured it out on their own. My directions are somewhat if not completely universal for the most recent Linksys routers.

But if you have any troubles...its not hard to just go ask the Google Gods . As any information I presented is easily accesible on the internet, you just have to look for it. Mine Tutorial is more of a quick reference [Smile] .

Another helpfull site that has just about every single Linksys routers as well as any router ever made is right hur

--------------------

GuppyMan
Compulsive Member
Member # 44

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GuppyMan   Email GuppyMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it does NOT go to a wireless 802.11g router. He just mistyped it, either intentionally or accidentally...

(The proof is in the other screen shots.)

Posts: 2675 | From: Washington | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged
1 Papa Smurf 1
Verbose Member
Member # 2441

Member Rated:
would you like to bet me? The router is a 802.11g Wireless-G Broadband Router and Notebook Adapter.

--------------------

GuppyMan
Compulsive Member
Member # 44

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GuppyMan   Email GuppyMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was refering to someone else's comment that read:
quote:
Not a problem, it's rather easy see the IP address that Papa told you goes to a Wireless G Linksys router I believe. The IP is more than likely going to be diffrent due to the device being diffrent. Most of thier cheaper/older models run off the same old 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1
This is all stemming from the fact that you mistyped the router's web configuration page as http://102.168.1.1 instead of the REAL one of http://192.168.1.1
(I was refering to the fact that 102.168.1.1 is not some new special address linked to a Wireless G router...)

Which several people have pointed out already....and you seemed to misunderstand what they were saying.... is it clear now?

The proof that I refer to, that you mistyped it, is that in your screen shots the prefix is 192.168.1.XXX, this can only be a class C network thus your router can't possibly have an address of 102.168.1.1

Why would I state that there is proof of it not being a wireless G router when it is in the screen shots too? lol

[ 12-31-2004, 02:23 AM: Message edited by: GuppyMan ]

wosEntity
Verbose Member
Member # 3550

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wosEntity   Author's Homepage   Email wosEntity   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice guide. Could you give a name to the first link though, its stretching my screen...

--------------------
WoS Underworld - WoS resources (half-dead)
Non-WoS Site

Posts: 1000 | From: California, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
$FISTofFATE$
Obsessive Member
Member # 918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for $FISTofFATE$   Email $FISTofFATE$   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never had a problem connecting through my Linksys router

--------------------
Retired Lord of Internal Affairs
Lords of Destruction

Posts: 6363 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
1 Papa Smurf 1
Verbose Member
Member # 2441

Member Rated:
Yours most likely doesn't have a built in Firewall then...or you know how to configure it. In any case Im pretty sure the editing of this is complete so do with it what you want Dan. [Smile]

--------------------

GuppyMan
Compulsive Member
Member # 44

Member Rated:
Uh no.... It is NOT complete. You have still FAILED to correct the very obvious error of listing "http://109.168.1.1" instead of
"http://192.168.1.1"

Ah, I now see that you put at the bottom of your post that you corrected the problem, but for some reason it remains...

[ 01-10-2005, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: GuppyMan ]

1 Papa Smurf 1
Verbose Member
Member # 2441

Member Rated:
Hey MIKEY! He likes it!

Thanks for your editing help Guppy Man.

I hope this helps at least one person, at sometime or another in the future ^_^

Good Luck and have fun.

--------------------

Jaded One
Compulsive Member
Member # 1175

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaded One   Author's Homepage   Email Jaded One   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See this is why the Smurf Rocks.

--------------------
Cheapflash.net
Your source for all flash needs on a budget.

Posts: 2179 | From: St Louis, Missouri | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
GuppyMan
Compulsive Member
Member # 44

Member Rated:
There are magic things called manuals. READ THEM.
GuppyMan
Compulsive Member
Member # 44

Member Rated:
Through the magic of the internet you can most likely look up your router's manual at the manufacturer's website.
1 Papa Smurf 1
Verbose Member
Member # 2441

Member Rated:
There really is no point in my post anymore because I stumbled across this website. It has like every router ever made...or something.

Port Forward Dot Com

--------------------

WrathOfSiris
Verbose Member
Member # 2532

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for WrathOfSiris   Email WrathOfSiris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i had to do port forwading to my router to get mix to run it worked fine but i am having a problem dont know if its related to this or not but about once a day my server will boot everyone but myself from it i dont know why and cant stop it any advice
Posts: 1230 | From: The Lotus Pod | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mad
Verbose Member
Member # 5460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad   Author's Homepage   Email Mad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
i cant find the ip to get into my router =/

To find the IP:

Click start > run. Type cmd and press enter. Then in the new window, type ipconfig, and enter again. A bunch of numbers should show up. Look for the IP following the default gateway. Type the addy in your browser, and you should be done.

All you have to remember now is the pasword. Most of the time the default PW is "admin". If you've forgotten your PW, then the last option is to reset the router to the factory default. How to do a system reset depends on the kind of router you have.

Have fun [Big Grin]

--------------------
athelias.biz - Forums - Worlds' List

Posts: 1812 | From: Moe's | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mad
Verbose Member
Member # 5460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad   Author's Homepage   Email Mad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Otherwise you can reset your router. Now it depends on the model you have so I can't help much. If she lost the PW and you can't reset it, try to give me the reference, maybe I could help again.

Good luck.

PS: Nice avatar [Wink]

[ 09-27-2005, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Mad ]

--------------------

Kudlicki
Member # 6609

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudlicki   Email Kudlicki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does one go about reseting his router?
GuppyMan
Compulsive Member
Member # 44

Member Rated:
Typically there is a reset button on the device.

If not, RTFM.

Kudlicki
Member # 6609

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudlicki   Email Kudlicki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry i am not computer skilled or have much clue as to what is going on but which divise are you talking about and which button

ps and what is RTFM?

Mad
Verbose Member
Member # 5460

Member Rated:
Can I have the ref of you router?

Actually all routers work differently. In most of the cases there is a reset button (sometimes you need to press it several times), but sometimes there are also weird things to do to reset it, like running a cable from the WAN port to one of the LAN ports before powering on. So I need the ref of your router to help.

But in any case, think about it twice befrore resetting it. You will have to reconfigurate everything...

[ 10-25-2005, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: Mad ]

--------------------

GuppyMan
Compulsive Member
Member # 44

Member Rated:
Device = router.

RTFM = Read the Manual.

Corpse Collector
Verbose Member
Member # 2249

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corpse Collector   Email Corpse Collector   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get a something different. I got into it and all, but when I tried to configure the ports in four lines (two WoS and two MIX) it says that there are duplicate programs and doesn't allow the change. So right now I have only two lines, and for the protocol on each, Both. One WoS and one MIX. Is this important? Right now it usually takes about 2-5 minutes to get the connection lost dialog in WoS. Any tips?

--------------------
I thought inflammable was the opposite of flammable!

Posts: 1810 | From: Quincy, MA, US | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.