Synthetic Reality Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Synthetic Reality Forums » General Madness » Role Playing Forum » A World's End story - Heaven Blade

Author Topic: A World's End story - Heaven Blade
Thael
Member # 10313

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thael     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out-of-character

Hey there guys. I felt like writing a little story about my comeback and playthrough of World's End. Not gonna write a novel here, but just a little fun thing to make the adventure more concrete, and maybe an indirect way for people interested to join me in this. What the hell, why not! [Wink] (In-game, no roleplay involved, you know.)

Here we go.

[ 12-23-2018, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Thael ]

Thael
Member # 10313

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thael     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First entry of the my journal

Damn it, am I really doing this? It looks like it! ****ty romantic novel writing here, doesn’t like it, but honestly, I don’t have anybody here I want to talk to, and I’ve got to let it all out somewhere...so here we go.

My sensei has given up the ghost a week ago. It’s not like he had time to show me much. I mean, all that bushido **** about honour and duty...well, that’s how I used to think a while ago. I guess it’s making its way back here today because of the situation, the feelings. Because let’s be honest, I discovered much more about myself through this path than I could ever have when I was behaving like a moronic and impulsive attention-seeker...Anyway, this is how ‘’I’’ see things. Better brace myself with all that, keep my head up and walk straight on the Path.

‘Cause my training isn’t over yet. But my sensei is dead. Damn old man. Wasn’t the student he had hoped for, I sure know that. Must have seen something that pleased him, and I know it wasn’t because he was a pervy bastard. Had something in him...unusual, and that’s not because I’ve always been stuck in Easthaven and never saw much of the world. He had a special way of doing things that was kind of...mesmerizing. The attention he put in the simple things...made your normal day a bit more special. Not like it’s that hard to beat in the hole I’m living in. But still…

Without him around, I feel a bit lost. A samurai still in-training, with no sensei, in a place I feel has nothing to offer to me. I guess I ‘’could’’ learn something, but staying here is damn not what I want to. Rough around the edges, rough around the f...edges, they say...I may not be the best samurai-like type around, but I’m the only one, so whatever. I’m packing my things soon, and I’m leaving this town. It’s what I’ve always wanted, anyway. Or else, it would be as if I met ol’ sensei for nothing, going back to my old life before him, as if nothing ever happened.

For what’s coming up next, let’s hope for the best...and from the worst, pick up the lesson where it is and learn from it. Bah! ****ty catchy cookie words he used to throw here and there...but I liked it, anyway. ‘Cause it was what I needed to hear, sometimes.

Ahh, whatever...soon...soon...just need to refine my sword technique a bit, before going out there…

P.S. - That old broken sword...’’katana’’...I swear I must find someone able to repair it out of here...must not be too hard, just got to know how to do it. ‘’Heaven Blade’’, it is written. Good nickname...hmm...

OOC - Cheers, mates. See you next time!

[ 12-23-2018, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Thael ]

Fred Spade
Verbose Member
Member # 759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fred Spade   Author's Homepage   Email Fred Spade   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should be easier soon. The society is a bit more fleshed out.

"What if they get the Men In Grey Suits involved?"

There's a king in the castle, seems crazy and doesn't appear to be in control of anything.

Officials.. Josh Worts guys in Blue, plus the ones in dark suits. They work with the cops at the Cop Shop...

The Men In Grey Suits at the bank, Vested Interests (where the stocks can be played) and seemingly everywhere around urban areas. Though Vested Interests is a (new) location, it is also a kind of faction in the world-building, arguably the most powerful.

;----------------------------------------------
; coP sHop
SCENE 1038 interior10
; COLOR 1010
; COLOR 2010
THEME -1
WEATHER 0
MUSIC "RobbinsNest.mid"
ACTOR 1, "Sgt. Lillicrap", joshRoyalty, 2, 16, 86
ACTOR 2, "Lt. Shufflebothom", joshRoyalty, 30, 22, 88
POSE 30, 31
ACTOR 3, "Cop", cop1, 1, 13, 68
POSE 1, 4
ACTOR 4, "Cop", cop1, 4, 86, 78
POSE 4, 1
FACE 4, 0
ACTOR 5, "Old Man", joshMiscellaneous, 10, 50, 65
FACE 5, 0
POSE 10, 11
ACTOR 6, "Old Woman", actors1, 18, 55, 66
FACE 6, 0
POSE 18, 19
WAIT 2
IF ALIVE, @alive
END
@alive
2: Hello.
2: Services begin at 100 coins.
TIMER 1, 10
END
@eventActorClick1
MENU "Who are you?=@whoAreYou1", "What's this place?=@place1", "I need to make a report=@report1"
TIMER 1, 10
END
@eventActorClick2
MENU "Who are you?=@whoAreYou2", "What's this place?=@place2", "I need to make a report=@report2"
TIMER 1, 10
END
@eventActorClick3
3: Get it right:
3: If you're not a cop, you're a suspect.
TIMER 1, 10
END
@eventActorClick4
4: I'm paid to be a cop in a cop shop.
4: I'm not paid to speak with potential criminals.
TIMER 1, 10
END
@eventActorClick5
5: I'm just a poor old man.
5: My wife gave me many beatings.
6: Lying pig!
5: I'm safer in the Cop Shop.
6: Don't listen to him!
TIMER 1, 10
END
@eventActorClick6
6: I'm just a poor old woman.
6: My husband gave me many beatings.
5: Lying cow!
6: I'm safer in the Cop Shop.
5: Don't listen to her!
TIMER 1, 10
END
@whoAreYou1
H: Who are you?
1: I'm Sgt. Lillicrap.
1: Speak to Lt. Shufflebothom if you have anything to report.
TIMER 1, 10
END
@place1
H: What's this place?
1: It's the Cop Shop.
1: Speak to Lt. Shufflebothom if you have anything to report.
TIMER 1, 10
END
@report1
H: I need to make a report.
1: Lt. Shufflebothom can help you with that.
1: Shufflebothom!
2: Yes, sir?
1: Look sharp!
TIMER 1, 10
END
@whoAreYou2
H: Who are you?
2: I'm Lt. Shufflebothom.
2: Just let me know if you have anything to report.
TIMER 1, 10
END
@place2
H: What's this place?
2: It's the Cop Shop.
2: Just let me know if you have anything to report.
TIMER 1, 10
END
@report2
H: I need to make a report.

; WORK IN PROGRESS

2: Please join the queue.
TIMER 1, 10
END
@eventTimer1
IF R5, @actor1
IF R10, @actor2
IF R15, @actor3
IF R35, @actor7
IF R20, @actor4
IF R25, @actor5
IF R30, @actor6
IF R35, @actor7
IF R40, @actor1
IF R45, @actor2
IF R50, @actor3
IF R35, @actor7
IF R55, @actor4
IF R60, @actor5
IF R65, @actor6
IF R70, @actor7
GOTO @eventTimer1
END
@actor1
1: The old couple, Shufflebothom..
1: How long have they been sitting there?
2: They've been there a while, sir.
2: They have no money, sir.
2: Shall we have them removed, sir?
1: Remember well, Shufflebothom..
1: The dead only pay once.
FACE 2, 0
2: What does that mean, sir?
1: It means, Shufflebothom..
1: Repeat custom from suspects is only possible
1: ..if they are still breathing!
FACE 2, 1
2: I think I see, sir!
1: Very good, Shufflebothom.
TIMER 1, 10
END
@actor2
2: When do I finish training, sir?
FACE 2, 0
1: You finish training, Shufflebothom..
1: ..after you've stopped being stupid.
2: When will I stop being stupid, sir?
1: Don't you worry, Shufflebothom..
1: Stick with me, you'll be alright!
FACE 2, 1
2: Yes I will, sir!
1: Very good, Shufflebothom.
TIMER 1, 10
END
@actor3
3: I smell suspects.
TIMER 1, 10
END
@actor4
4: Suspects are everywhere.
TIMER 1, 10
END
@actor5
5: I hate you.
6: Don't care.
TIMER 1, 10
END
@actor6
6: I despise you.
5: Don't care.
TIMER 1, 10
END
@actor7
IF R5, @joshTownsfolk_frames24and25
IF R10, @joshTownsfolk_frames2and3
IF R15, @joshTownsfolk_frame29
IF R20, @joshTownsfolk_frames24and25
IF R25, @joshTownsfolk_frames2and3
IF R30, @joshTownsfolk_frame29
IF R35, @joshTownsfolk_frames24and25
IF R40, @joshTownsfolk_frames2and3
IF R45, @joshTownsfolk_frame29
IF R50, @joshTownsfolk_frames24and25
IF R55, @joshTownsfolk_frames2and3
IF R60, @joshTownsfolk_frame29
IF R65, @joshTownsfolk_frames24and25
IF R70, @joshTownsfolk_frames2and3
IF R75, @joshTownsfolk_frame29
IF R80, @joshTownsfolk_frames24and25
IF R85, @joshTownsfolk_frames2and3
IF R90, @joshTownsfolk_frame29
GOTO @actor7
END
@joshTownsfolk_frames24and25
ACTOR 7, "A person", joshTownsfolk, 24, 115, 90
POSE 24, 25
GOTO @actor7entrance
END
@joshTownsfolk_frames2and3
ACTOR 7, "A person", joshTownsfolk, 2, 115, 90
POSE 2, 3
GOTO @actor7entrance
END
@joshTownsfolk_frame29
ACTOR 7, "A person", joshTownsfolk, 29, 115, 90
GOTO @actor7entrance
END
@actor7entrance
MOVE 7, 35, 90
WAIT 2
7: I'd like to make a report.
2: That will be 100 coins for the service.
7: Here you are...
2: That'll do nicely!
SOUND "kaching.wav"
2: What seems to be the problem?
@dialogueCheck
IF R5, @dialogue1
IF R10, @dialogue2
IF R15, @dialogue3
IF R20, @dialogue4
IF R25, @dialogue1
IF R30, @dialogue2
IF R35, @dialogue3
IF R40, @dialogue4
IF R45, @dialogue1
IF R50, @dialogue2
IF R55, @dialogue3
IF R60, @dialogue4
IF R65, @dialogue1
IF R70, @dialogue2
IF R75, @dialogue3
IF R80, @dialogue4
GOTO @dialogueCheck
END
@dialogue1
7: My cat got stuck in a tree.
2: Your cat, you say?
2: To get a cat out of a tree
2: ..you need to throw stones at it.
2: If it still doesn't come down
2: ..throw bricks, big ones, throw 'em quite hard.
7: It's not dangerous, is it?
2: Don't worry if you break any nearby windows..
2: You can pay us more money!
7: That's so helpful and convenient!
1: You could also blast it down with a hose.
1: Try adding chilli or vinegar to the water..
2: Or maybe squirt some acid into its eyes...
7: What would I have done without your advice?
7: Thank you so much, officers!
1: Here to help!
MOVE 7, 115, 90
2: It's the duty of the Cop Shop!
TIMER 1, 10
END
@dialogue2
7: My neighbours are annoying me.
2: I think we can help you with that!
2: Please be aware of Cop Shop Policy..
2: The Cop Shop is impartial and unbiased.
2: If your neighbour pays higher than you
2: ..they're within their rights to make a counter-claim.
7: So, what do you advise me to do?
2: You could pay more coins now.
2: That would reduce the chance of a counter-claim.
7: What if they get the Men In Grey Suits involved?
7: I'm not sure about this.
7: Maybe I won't make a report..
2: And maybe your neighbour will..
7: I think I should think about it.
MOVE 7, 115, 90
2: Sorry, sir.
2: I think I over-did it.
1: Nevermind.
1: One or the other neighbour will get the ball rolling eventually.
TIMER 1, 10
END
@dialogue3
7: Everything's not alright.
2: What would you like to be alright again?
7: Everything.
2: Everything?
2: How about anything?
7: Not just anything. Everything!
1: One million coins!
7: I don't have a million.
1: OK, Special Offer: one thousand coins..
7: Oh, yes, I can afford that!

; WORK IN PROGRESS

7: Thank you so much, officers!
1: Here to help!
MOVE 7, 115, 90
2: It's the Duty of the Cop Shop.
TIMER 1, 10
END
@dialogue4
7: I was robbed of 100 coins.

; WORK IN PROGRESS

2: You can consider the case solved
2: ..and receive your money back
2: ..if you are willing to pay 500 coins.
TIMER 1, 10
END
;----------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, some of these very same people can be seen rubbing shoulders with criminal underworld figures, like those found in the VIP lounge at the night club in Cityport.

-

Plus it works both ways, as shady businessmen can be noted in the foyer of Vested Interests.

-

-

Apologies Thael for being so off-topic (and irrelevant to the Samurai class), it's just my way of acknowledging your thread.

[ 01-11-2019, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Fred Spade ]

--------------------
World's End - Open World RPG
Version: 1.42
worldsend.000webhostapp.com

Posts: 1641 | From: Hồ Chí Minh / Sài Gòn | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fred Spade
Verbose Member
Member # 759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fred Spade   Author's Homepage   Email Fred Spade   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thael, if you're still around I'd like to use your journal as one of the books in the library (in a new-look City University). I think it is actually the perfect thing to do.

There's one.. er, tiny issue.. in that I was actually considering a radical change for the Samurai class.

This won't happen until beyond v1.43, so the journal will initially have a period where it makes perfect sense as factual autobiography or historical document within the lore.

If the class changes then the lore changes with it, so then the journal could be seen as a fictional work, or an historical artifact.

I actually have a plan for exams at City University, so I could add a question from/about your journal (though these exams will not feature in v1.43).

[Edit]

Done! So cool! It really adds something to the selection of books in the library!

In game it is displayed as a HTML file that pops-up in the WoS browser window. I added paragraphs and line breaks and I needed to replace all your apostrophe and speech mark punctuation because WoS engine didn't like to display it for some reason.

Also I felt I needed to take a small liberty by replacing your swearing - the opposite of what you might be guessing - I mean putting it back in!

You had rightly self-censored for this forum, using asterisks, that's normal to everyone.
However in-game as a "journal" that's very much written in such a style, it seems jarring for the writer to self-censor.

Therefore, I changed "****ty" (x2) to a description of something covered in blood, just add y to blood, which I think is OK in-game, and is as strong as I'd go with a WoS engine game before it loses touch with kids more than I'd want it to.

I also removed the asterisks censoring a poop expletive for "tosh" where it was the speaker, a beginning samurai who lost his master, referring to Bushido "and all that stuff" rather than a particularly strong or offensive one. That's not what the speaker is conveying as I read it so "tosh" seems to fit and, I hope you'll agree, is good for the game!

Nice one, matey!

[ 11-05-2019, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: Fred Spade ]

Thael - Dusty
Member # 10359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thael - Dusty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there. I began taking strolls again on the forums.

I'm glad you've found a use to this journal. Really! If the change you're referring to is the switch from samurai to ronin, I don't have any problem with that. As with any change, either. My point of view with Heaven Blade is to tell the story of a warrior (in this case, the path of the Samurai) who lost her master early. Her training is unfinished, her mind undisciplined, and her philosophy flawed. She has a good base, but must guess the rest and has no guidance on this specific path. The swearing used to refer to her impulsive personality, and maybe she had a rough beginning in life, too. This can be imaged through plenty of other ways too, of course.

I wrote a few new pages. I try to keep them short. A part of the beginning in World's End happens (at least for me) in the Training Grounds ; nothing to write legends about. I compensate this with her personal ramblings about how her training goes. I've never read about bushido and samurai philosophy, but it's meaningful enough that it makes sense for her story, her discipline, and it is what she makes up alone with her training, not a faithful depiction of feudal Japan's samurais. (I know nobody asked this of it but I like my writings to have some connection to the ''real thing'' and be interesting to the reader too.)

Next post will have the said journal pages. I've read about the HTML file that doesn't displays correctly everything. Is there a program or something that I can write in, and you won't have additionnal work to do? To write here, Openoffice or somewhere else, not a big change for me.

Cheers, mate!

--------------------
Old-timer. Used to play Dusty on World's End, nearly two decades ago. Narretidem Islands was original, good stuff too!

Thael - Dusty
Member # 10359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thael - Dusty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the reader - Each title and description of its meaning (or any japanese word...!) comes from Fred Spade's work on World's End. The description is slightly modified to represent the character's intent.

THE TRAINING GROUNDS
Volume II

‘’Bushido and Meisou’’
Meditating on the Way of the Warrior

quote:
Here I am, the training grounds. Somehow, it feels strange to come here, because I used to, but accompanied with Sensei. Now it’s up to myself. It is as if (not that he did) there is now nobody to put his hand on my back if I ever fall. Well, whatever, it is not that bad around Easthaven, so there isn’t much to worry about for the moment. The fauna around the training grounds is surprisingly vast, there’s a little bit of everything to put myself to test.

Applying the taught knowledge comes quite naturally, I must say. I did not really face any problem yet, and progress is fluidly coming each day. There must be something off, it cannot be that easy all of a sudden. Especially without guidance, I don’t get why it changed all of a sudden. It is just...like that. I’d like to write more about it, but it is just how I feel it. Quiet skill used to its best, no slowdown happening anytime. Anyway, what the heck, it’s not like I intend to have somebody read that mumbling, I’m just trying to make some sense with my present through this journal. Another gift of Sensei.

‘’Externalize your thoughts. It makes it easier to analyze what lies within you. See it for what it is.’’

‘’Kenkyaku’’
Applying the art of fencing

quote:
I don’t get it, I was practising, even mastering some moves Sensei told me, then it gradually began to get harder and harder. Mere practice, tried nothing new, yet I make dumb mistakes and fumble often. I feel like my mind is getting cloudy sometimes. I’ve caught myself wondering about the future and what lies ahead. I had my mind set on the task a few weeks ago, but the novelty wore off, and I got accustomed to the repetitive schedule. No safeguard against negative thoughts, now that I’m alone in it ; It came much faster than it was supposed to be, but then again, only fools dream about constancy.

It’s as if I am splitted in tow parts, and I’m always trying to unite them. Whenever my mind starts to wander, or I am unfocused on a specific move, I concentrate myself to clearing my head. But then, whenever I do that, I...kinda lose contact with my body and my spontaneity. What the heck?! Is it something you have to fight off then it eventually go away? You get better at fighting it away? Or do you ‘’train’’ your concentration and you eventually get so good at it that you can fight off second thoughts like it was just a breeze?
Anyway...whatever. Gonna go grab a snack at the Hag’s Head.

P.S. - I found a sheet with a tattoo drawn on it, it was stuck on a rabbit’s fur. Complicated stuff, it must have a special meaning. What am I gonna do with that? Feels like I should keep it.

‘’Iaijutsu’’
Thoughts on purity of action.

quote:
‘’Nukitsuke, or drawing sword. Bringing it to combative use in minimum time, and returning the sword to the saya (scabbard).’’ Anyway, one of Sensei’s ramblings.

It popped into my mind, all of sudden. I struggled with the fire ants, it looked like I couldn’t get the upper hand, and always just tried to keep up with them. There were too many of them, and the best I could do was focus on my defence. Running away would do no good as I’d face the same situation one day or another, I had to keep going.

Then, all the pieces naturally just all set into place.

I dodged a bite, and it was the opening I needed to lunge forward. It was like a dance : my sword moved fluidly, like a choreography, and each step placed me naturally on an advantageous position on the fight. A minute later, it was over, and the fire ants were harmless little bit of flesh. (But damn are they big)

Is it like that it works? You learn, you memorize, and then you must all let it go on its own without the interference of the mind?

‘’Teisatsu’’
Scouting into the unknown

quote:
Now’s the time to go beyond Easthaven and the training grounds. There’s no challenge left for me here, and the fighting bobcats just became a pastime. I probably stayed here too long. Maybe it was needed to nurture my confidence. I’m not sure I fully grasp the importance of what dawned upon me recently, but I’ll just try to stick to it until I understand it better.

In the end, that tattoo I found earlier was worth A LOT! It is a protective sign that a special type of foreign warriors get on them. Magic, or whatever it can be, is known only by a few people, so whenever someone can get its hands on a design, you can get a lot of money for it. Anyway, that is what a travelling merchant told me. Maybe it was worth even more than what I’ve got for it, but I didn’t mind. I went to the Arena. I had no intend to fight, but there is a shop selling high-quality equipment there. Why it is located in a lost hole like Easthaven...is yeah, lost on me, but I could afford a better sword, and some magical jewelry. The shopkeeper told me the ones I choosed were enchanted using druidic methods...whatever it might mean. I wonder what Sensei would think of that. For me, it just meant helping me to get out of Easthaven. I asked anyone fought in the Arena recently. ‘’Well, recently, ehhh no. It’s been dead for a while. But I remember some used to come from the Big Smoke.’’

I heard that name before. No, I read it somewhere. It was the traveller’s guide.

That’s where I’m heading, then.

[ 05-14-2020, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: Thael - Dusty ]

--------------------
Old-timer. Used to play Dusty on World's End, nearly two decades ago. Narretidem Islands was original, good stuff too!

Fred Spade
Verbose Member
Member # 759

That's great. If you are back to add new parts I can do more with it.

In Preview Build January 2020 Vol 1 of your story is already functioning in the library at City University.

With more volumes...

It could be used to form part of the tests I plan for the player's 'education' at Haven Hall (new location in Easthaven, see Preview Build Jan 2020) or at City University in Smoke City (there will be a few tests at the uni).

Or

Maybe Vol 5 of 6 volumes is unavailable in the game until the player gets sent on a quest to recover the missing volume by a collector, etc.
(The final part should be in the game world for the player to clearly see something is missing, so it would mean Vol 6 being written as an epilogue and Volume 4 maybe ending on a cliff-hanger.. but the really juicy part about what actually happened could then be as much, if not more, of the final reward than the actual quest reward itself).
You'd need to have 4 to 6 Volumes for a quest like that.

From Preview Build January 2020 onwards..
Training Grounds is renamed gRandcHesteR mEaDows, though "Training Grounds" (or "The Meadows") can be used as a nickname like "The Big Smoke" (TBS) for sMoke citY.. by locals or veterans of a place, (NPC/PC). I think that kind of mirrors real life in some regard.

--------------------
World's End - Open World RPG
Version: 1.42
worldsend.000webhostapp.com

Thael - Dusty
Member # 10359

Rate Member
That's great news. I'm honestly quite pleased to read that!

I'm currently writing about Heaven Blade's time in Smoke City. I began to read about Bushido. Not a book, but enough that the character takes more from the philosophy than just a class name. It can still be linked to the ronin class transition, since it is more about the way of living rather than an allegeance to a lord. It's still gonna be superficial in some aspects, but more fleshed-out than the first parts. I try to reflect more than just my playtime on the character, too! What I've written so far is longer than Part I-II. Would you prefer to keep the entries short?

Maybe volume I-II-III could be at Haven's Hall, then the player learns that the last parts are at Smoke City? It feels like a thread linking the two cities. Just an idea I had like that.

If you're not bothered by that, I'd rather finish this playthrough with v1.42. Do you remember I said months ago I used to play a hippie as a first experience? I didn't go far! I had the bad tendency to pick hard hybrid classes years ago. You can be sure I'll try the new version too, though.

From what you've just said, it looks more like redesign of the world than an evolution?

--------------------

Fred Spade
Verbose Member
Member # 759

Redesign or evolution?
That's interesting.. Evolution for sure!

Stay on target..
Almost there...

Thael - Dusty
Member # 10359

Rate Member
THE BIG SMOKE
Volume III

Here we are. I made my way to the Big Smoke. It was pretty straight forward. You leave Easthaven from the west gate, then you head south. I had to run away a few times. Pretty poor sense of honour if you ask a samurai, for I did not wait to see what was following me each time. But hey, a dead samurai can’t finish her training, can she? I don’t feel like doing snarky comments concerning the situation. I feel way too uncomfortable jumping into the unknown. I’d rather stay quiet and focus on what’s around me. But I feel alive. Discomfort for liveliness, I can deal with that. Pretty much the reason why I was sticking with Sensei in the first place: Bring some serious change. Now we’re in it.

I arrived at the Big Smoke’s gate. One of its gates, I should say. I had to pay a thousand coins to get in. I felt an urge to tell them to get lost, but I’ll restrain myself from the old days attitude, especially in a place like this. It’s already HUGE when you look at it from the Traveller’s junction, but being in it is like being in another world. Even more if your idea of the world only a small place like Easthaven. Here, the streets are so crowded, the buildings towering so high, so many shops, places, touristic attractions to visit...heck you feel lost! It’s enough make you lose focus of why you came here, and what you REALLY want to do. Do they need all this? Do they want all this? If there’s one thing I’ve learnt on the Path, it’s that you often carry a lot of unnecessary luggage with you on your journey. In your bag or in your head. So you better drop some off along the road.

Ok, ok. Cover the bases. Get a safe place to stay. Then, find shops selling whatever you need. Find the most safe road to this, and the less complicated one if you can, so you don’t get lost. THEN, you can get familiar with the city. I’ve heard about that place, the University. Someplace that is not as dangerous as the rest of the city, and you can breathe for a while without having to watch your back all the time. Because right now, whenever you think you can do that, that’s just what they’re waiting to mug you.

Right now, The Mourning Star is a nice cafe to stop by. Allows you to catch your breath.

--------------------

Thael - Dusty
Member # 10359

Rate Member
THE BIG SMOKE II
Volume IV

First thing first : I found that cheap place where I’ll rent a room monthly. It’s pretty basic, but I only need a bunk to sleep on. The few things I own, I carry on me all the time, so there isn’t much to worry about, as long as I can take care of myself. That little house in Easthaven was stern-looking, but comfortable. You know what? It feels like the atmosphere around your home impregnates it. Right now, I don’t know if there’s anywhere in the Big Smoke I’d feel safe. Beats me. Maybe you get used to it.

I took several strolls around. There’s so much that probably eludes my sight. I’m like a house cat thrown into the wild world. Nothing feels natural, the way folk think here doesn’t come naturally to me. In doubt, doubt it. Or else, doubt it anyway. A lot of people here are looking for trouble and I clearly feel I’m no match for them right now. I just get away whenever some of them gaze at me for too long. I don’t linger around. I found that Army and Navy place. Their stuff feels highly unconventional for my training, but hey, beggars can’t be choosers, right? Hmm, I wonder if there are other samurais around...

A few short sentences have been crossed-out. There are a few swear words noticeable here and there.
...What follows is much more clearly written.

I’m disappointed by people’s attitude at the University. They look so stuck in their heads that they cannot realize there’s a world out there. That’s a feat to accomplish when outside your head, it’s Smoke City. These intellectuals got their patch of ground to sit on, and like anyone else, stick to it and live in their own, nonexistant world. They amuse themselves with their theories and personal ramblings, and life goes on during that time. So impressed. That’s sarcasm. By the way, I’m not missing on any of the fights, here. Folk find a reason to pick on you one way or another. Good news is, since I’m clearly not from their world (mine involves martial arts) there’s nothing to worry about here. A few tough blokes here and there that I better not bother when they stick together, but apart from that...I’m good.

Now what? I can handle myself in that situation, but it feels kinda pointless. Am I missing something? Because it is not obvious. I see nothing I can rely on, nobody I feel akin to. Heck, it doesn’t even feel natural being here. What’s the point of being here? A remote place, a dojo would make more sense.

--------------------

Thael - Dusty
Member # 10359

Rate Member
THE BIG SMOKE III
Volume V

Whenever you’re in doubt, breathe. Go back to the root of everything.

I got caught up in the whirlpool of change. I found myself thinking and focusing on external aspects of the current events, like my surroundings, the people I met, and forgot to concentrate on what I might draw from them. For nothing is devoid of lesson. I mostly practised my martial techniques until now, but my moral strength is more what’s put to test today. So is my will to stick to giri.

Duty is not only towards a cause, but also towards values.

Beyond the abstract, superficial musings and the rowdy brawks on the University grounds, I must admit there is wisdom to be found in individuals’ ideas, and one is not obliged to agree to the whole of it. He is free to pick what helps the most to strenghten his character, but it has no value if he does not stick to it. There are a lot of interesting ideas to learn from the scholars. Some of them are worth crap in my opinion. Of course, you must think and choose. From some of them, I learnt the following.

-Your actions build a personal legacy. The ideologic worth of your past deeds strengthen you in your actions.
-When you behave in a selfish way, you may weaken people around you, thus weakening new opportunities’ chances to blossom.
-There is physical fortitude and moral fortitude. Draw upon both and achieve greater results.
-If you rely on stealing and destroying, you do not practice your ability to create and improve.

Anyway, these are the ones that felt the most natural to agree with, or rather, in concordance with my teachings. This is something worth pondering, as my stay in Smoke City continues.

Smoke City is not as dangerous as it used to be. Oh, you meet the same punks you’ve always met in the streets. I still have to watch my back and no place is a sureshot to venture in. Running is not always the first option that comes to mind now though, I can at least assess the situation and I have my chances of winning a fight.

I got better.

I found a...club, where other samurais tend to go. It is not an organization, more like...a grouping of specific individuals. A central point where we can find equipment appropriate to someone of our training. Pretty much everybody looks to be on its own, here. Each of us try to perfect what is from within, with no particular affiliation to any group or individual. This is something that, if it occurs, take place outside of their main concerns. Also, I was surprised to find out that a lot of them, eh...think differently. Sensei’s teachings ends up being only one amongst a smattering of others.

Concerning Bushido - There is NO WRITTEN RULES.

Nor is the concept well-established or known amongst other people. It’s a path that some of us walk, a way of living, that gives us tools to improve ourselves upon, and continue on the Path. In that case, I can’t be surprised to see some samurais being so different one from another.
I do not feel that much akin to them, now. A part of me is disappointed, of course. Maybe I hoped it would have made it easier to have a ‘’group’’ to rely on. There’s purpose in defeat. Hmm, weird sentence, I must have heard it somewhere. Why did that come to mind, all of a sudden?

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Synthetic Reality

Copyright 2003 (c) Synthetic Reality Co.